Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan betting scandal: Divide and fall in cricket's great pay gap
By LAWRENCE BOOTH
Last updated at 12:52 AM on 31st August 2010

The £4,000 cheque that Mohammad Aamer picked up at Lord’s on Sunday as Pakistan’s player of the series underlined his country’s status as the poor relations of world cricket.

It would be small change for most international cricketers, but is more than three times the £1,300 he earns a month from his Pakistan Cricket Board contract.

Although the Pakistanis are thought to pick up around £3,000 per Test, that is still half as much as the English and Australian players.

Even the more experienced Mohammad Asif - the other Pakistan fast bowler implicated in the no-ball scandal - receives relatively little.

Despite being in the highest of the three categories used by the PCB to determine
payments, Asif picks up less than £1,900 a month - roughly the same as a young
cricketer playing his first game for India.

That can rise with match fees and win bonuses, but even then the Pakistanis lag behind every other Test-playing nation bar Bangladesh, where top players get about £1,000 a month.England’s top centrally contracted cricketers, by contrast, are understood to be paid in the region of £250,000-£400,000 a year, while the top-earning South Africans are paid more than £100,000 for central contracts.

IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE: THE CENTRAL CONTRACTS

Australia: £400,000
England: £400,000
South Africa: £105,000
India: £82,500
West Indies: £77,250
Sri Lanka: £77,250
Pakistan: £22,500
Bangladesh: £12,000

Figures per player, per year

Even the best-paid West Indians, who operate under a cash-strapped board, get a retainer of nearly £80,000. And the Pakistanis’ sense of grievance may be fuelled by the riches of neighbours and rivals India.

The best Indian players, such as Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, earn a basic salary of more than £80,000 - a figure that soars with match and tour fees, sponsorship deals and Indian Premier League contracts.

India’s young pace bowler Ishant Sharma, who turns 22 on Tuesday, earned around £4,000 for each of the 150 balls he sent down in this year’s IPL - a competition the Pakistanis are banned from playing in for political reasons.

Even more gallingly for the Pakistanis, cricketers from other nations - riding on the
back of an increase in player power - are now paid a percentage of their board’s
annual income.

Indian cricketers pick up 26 per cent of their board’s takings, the Australians 25 per cent and South Africans 20 per cent. Once all payments and endorsements are taken
into account, leading South African cricketers take home close to £1million a year.
Pakistan betting scandal: Cricket's great pay gap | Mail Online

Last edited:
Top 10|Worlds Highest-Earning Cricketers in 2009

1.MS Dhoni $10 Million
2.S.R Tendulkar $8 Million
3.Yuvraj Singh $5.5 Million
4.Rahul Dravid $5 Miliion
5.Andrew Flintoff $4 Million
6.Sourav Ganguly $3.5 Million
6.Ricky Ponting $ 3.5 Million
8.Brett Lee $ 3 Million
8.Kevin Pietersen $ 3 Million
10.Michael Clarke $ 2.5 Million

Four Indian in Top 5

Even pakistani cricketers make a lot of money through endorsements and other activities.

The board may be paying less to the youngsters, that does not mean that they have to take bribes ( if confirmed)

Even pakistani cricketers make a lot of money through endorsements and other activities.

The board may be paying less to the youngsters, that does not mean that they have to take bribes ( if confirmed)

"if confirmed" now how many more proof PCB wants...they r still denying...every one is confirmed that PCB officer also involve in match fixing..i think all other cricket board should denied to play cricket with pakistan in near future because we know pak is not going to take any action against players and PCB officers....

"if confirmed" now how many more proof PCB wants...they r still denying...every one is confirmed that PCB officer also involve in match fixing..i think all other cricket board should denied to play cricket with pakistan in near future because we know pak is not going to take any action against players and PCB officers....

Are u telling this from yr Mouth ? :woot:

Go and take a Bath !!

Indians just want PCB to sack these crickiters, impose a life ban on them, they are not interested in trial, just get rid of these players for their own sake.

A video tape with the guy and money.
And tons of allegations from the same guy.

Sorry not considered as a solid evidence in court.

These Pakistani players are framed.

Last edited:

I totally disagree with you .If players even some members of board have done corruption , the whole country should not be given the price rather take action against the culprit. Think in this way- would you like ban on India even corruption and irregularities involved in CWG.

I totally disagree with you .If players even some members of board have done corruption , the whole country should not be given the price rather take action against the culprit. Think in this way- would you like ban on India even corruption and irregularities involved in CWG.

oh..yes...i think corruption is every where but if same thing happened in india or other country, i am dam sure our board and other cricket board must take some action against player and officer. just like the action taken against former indian captain Mohammad Azharuddin or action taken against Hansie Cronje(SA). i don't think so PCB will take any little action against any player, forget life time ban....

The video clips shown by media is enough to prove them guilty....they should be banned :azn:.....but i donnt think PCB Will.....:undecided:

Easy to overstep the mark when players' families' lives are at stake
Geoff Lawson August 31, 2010
People have been quick to judge the Pakistani cricketers, but what is happening might have nothing to do with money.
If these allegations of fixing are proved, it could be related to extortion, threats, and the well-being of their own family members. It would not surprise me if illegal bookmakers have told players that if they do not perform X and Y, their families will be kidnapped or harmed.
In my time as Pakistan coach, I gained some incredible insights into the workings of the country and the team, and I'll never forget the time the team captain called me up to his room on the eve of a match.
Earlier that day, a player who we had not selected for the game approached me, saying: ''I was told I would be playing tomorrow.'' My response was, ''Well no, you're not, you've obviously been given the wrong information.''
Then the skipper of the side called me late in the evening. I went to his room and he was standing there with a very sombre-looking selector.
This selector said: ''We must pick [the player who had earlier approached me], I have been told that if he is not in the team tomorrow, my daughter will be kidnapped and I will not see her again.''
At first we both laughed, but then we realised he was being serious. Our chairman then called the president, Pervez Musharraf, who in turn phoned the people behind the threats and said they had better reconsider or else. The next we heard the matter had been resolved.
We must also remember that we are judging these guys by the standards of our own country, when their situations are vastly different.
The first time I met Mohammad Amir was when he was 16 years old, coming to an under-19s camp. He comes from a small village near the Swat valley and was delayed by three hours because the Taliban had closed the highway. That doesn't happen in this country. One thing that struck me about Amir was his constant smile, his zest for the game. That has not changed.
I will never condone any form of fixing, but we should consider that a cricketer might not be thinking of personal gain but of getting money to buy a generator for his village because they don't have electricity.
I had a lot to do with Mohammad Asif and he was always missing training sessions to look after his sick mother. He has spent a lot of his money on looking after his family.
If Salman Butt is involved in any match-fixing, I would be absolutely stunned. He is a very intelligent, polite guy and has done well since taking over the team.
I cannot remember one incident in my time as coach of Pakistan that aroused suspicion of a fix.
I had my eye on it when Asif and Shoaib Akhtar had come back from their nandrolone bans. We had a meeting about match-fixing and spot-fixing.
We were pretty consistent during my tenure. The players knew there were financial rewards for performing well.
My first reaction to this latest news was sadness. These are people I know, people I call friends. This will probably be the end of some careers.
I don't think Pakistan should be banished. We have seen them survive some incredible on- and off-field turmoil. You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
But I will say that the present Pakistan administration cannot escape some of the blame for this. What they need right now is positive leadership and they don't have it. The Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, Ijaz Butt, is not a leader, he should not have the job.
When I was there, the board did not have people with vested interests, they were business people who treated people fairly. The first-class players were looked after and paid well and it made a difference.
It would be the greatest tragedy if a young man like Aamer has been led astray.

Easy to overstep the mark when players' families' lives are at stake | smh.com.au

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What do u mean GOP is not capable enough to protect family & friends of their cricketers ................ I dont belive it dude C'mon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What do u mean GOP is not capable enough to protect family & friends of their cricketers ................ I dont belive it dude C'mon

I didn't write this... some one else is the author, it is his point of view.

Indians just want PCB to sack these crickiters, impose a life ban on them, they are not interested in trial, just get rid of these players for their own sake.

A video tape with the guy and money.
And tons of allegations from the same guy.

Sorry not considered as a solid evidence in court.

These Pakistani players are framed.

Are we seeing another one-of-those conspiracy theories?

Anyways, I have greatest sympathies for those young Pakistani players who could have taken the game to new heights but now they would (so does cricket) suffer because of this.

If they are so interested in money then should have gone to medical/business college. They are criminals with cricket playing ability. All people involved in this scandal should be banned from playing test cricket next ten years. Does all poor men should be committing crimes to make money ? Is this lesson these people are teaching to poor men of Pakistan ?

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom