What's new

The Pakistan Navy's Frigate Options

it can be increase , it not written in Quran to give only 10% to Navy, its called negligence from the Armed forces to not know the importance of Strong Navy and Airforce ..
and for type 23, been superior to anything we have... we have nothing .. we have some new light weight Frigates , a OHP floating Junk and 5 Type 21 , which were build in era when Hitler was a kid...
we are paying more than 5 Billions for 8 improved yuan class subs, why not cut the deal with 4 Subs and buy 4 Frigates ..
all they need is to make right decision .. which they clearly cant .

out of those 30,000+ post, you at least write 1 realistic post for 1 time please ..
Mr I am the one who is most of the time realistic here I was the one who first came up with number of more than 20 Frigates and Corvettes and every one made fun of me now most are saying same thing. Also most agree to my idea of third 4.5th Generation Fighter platform in Air Force @MastanKhan

PN now should buy bigger ship like Chinese Type 045 or 055 corvette or 056. PN should expand & modernize at rapid pace & advance navy ships & subs. should be purchased to strongly protect the coast of Karachi & Gawadar.

Barring a sudden influx of hard cash the only options available are
1. China with provision of soft loans , as long as the previous have been paid off.
2. US and only thru the EDA mechanism.
3. Used frigates from the UK or any other EU country.
4. Russian and Turkish naval systems require hard cash which we don't have.
5. No one will be willing to get into a JV as our financial position is weak.
6. Last option is building frigates at KSEW but one would still need to import many of the key components.

I would consider planning & building our own MPF, with the help of China & Turkey.
PN should have worked on such a project after the Brooke/Garcia's FFGs were sent back to the US.

This was considered also, but no headway was made. If we had at that time, we would be in a position by now to have our own MFP.

We have the infrastructure to build a frigate of this size, and after the F-22, we have gained valuable experience.
Propulsion, Weapons and Sensors can be bought from the market to suit our own needs.
A frigate around 6000 - 6500 tons would be ideal.

In the meantime we will have to rely on used frigates to fill the gap.

I will do a piece analyzing Western frigate options, particularly from Spain, Denmark and the Netherlands. Just a general point though, there will be hurdles going that route, and the added costs may not be worth the potentially marginal improvements they could offer over Chinese counterparts. There is also the reality of our limited access to modern Western munitions. If PN is going to the Western route, then it should get the munitions - from AShM, ASW and SAM - built locally, so as to ensure sanctions don't cripple operational capabilities.

Make sense. But Pakistan should also look into Korean frigates , they are really good.

I would consider planning & building our own MPF, with the help of China & Turkey.
PN should have worked on such a project after the Brooke/Garcia's FFGs were sent back to the US.

This was considered also, but no headway was made. If we had at that time, we would be in a position by now to have our own MFP.

We have the infrastructure to build a frigate of this size, and after the F-22, we have gained valuable experience.
Propulsion, Weapons and Sensors can be bought from the market to suit our own needs.
A frigate around 6000 - 6500 tons would be ideal.

In the meantime we will have to rely on used frigates to fill the gap.
Do you think that our naval architects are capable enough? From what I've heard, Chinese designs are not very good. I'm saying this because our architects have not worked with western designs.

Mr I am the one who is most of the time realistic here I was the one who first came up with number of more than 20 Frigates and Corvettes and every one made fun of me now most are saying same thing. Also most agree to my idea of third 4.5th Generation Fighter platform in Air Force @MastanKhan

we have hardly 5+4+1 = 10 Frigates ... rest are missile boats ..
your dream of 20 Frigates its just fanboy stuff .. and 20 frigates will be stupid anyway

your dream of 20 Frigates its just fanboy stuff .. and 20 frigates will be stupid anyway
well your right about zarvan being dear boy but the numbers seem good. 6 anti air frigates 6 anti sub frigates and 8 general purpose [gp].

well your right about zarvan being dear boy but the numbers seem good. 6 anti air frigates 6 anti sub frigates and 8 general purpose [gp].

20 frigates will be stupid dont you think ?
why not 12-15 and 5 DDG's ? for PN 5 DDG's are more than enough with 11-12 Subs carry CM's ..
i would rather invest in coastal defense batteries ..

20 frigates will be stupid dont you think ?
why not 12-15 and 5 DDG's ? for PN 5 DDG's are more than enough with 11-12 Subs carry CM's ..
i would rather invest in coastal defense batteries ..
frigates are smaller than destroyers=cheaper. your already getting 8 subs so you wont be complaining about that for another 10 years. i dont know much about your coastal defence network or if you even have one that question should be directed to @Rashid Mahmood who is more informed than me. also the point he raised of getting frigate in the 6000<6700 tonne range put that requirement directly with the tf-2000 of turkey. also its worth mentioning that the tf-2000- is an air defence frigate something pakistan NEEDS with the threat of mig 29k's, p8's and possibly rafale m's
Turkish Navy |

below is a concept of what the tf-2000 can do. but the mk41 vls can be replaced with a french or a chinese one

TuTF2000.PNG

or you go for the baby version
milgemcalisma08.GIF

No fanboy stuff in fact even Navy is planning to do that and it would be done really soon

Do you think that our naval architects are capable enough? From what I've heard, Chinese designs are not very good. I'm saying this because our architects have not worked with western designs.

Our Naval architects have been trained abroad and have worked on major modification programs on the Gearing class, Type 21's and finally the F22P.
This should be joint project between Pakistan, China & Turkey or any 2.
The chinese hull designs are pretty good and we will install all the other systems of our choice.
This will take time, sure, but it will be worth it. It's time the Navy starts it's own Thunder like project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom