What's new

The long view for India

Fighter488

Reaction score
The long view for India

Cafe Economics | Niranjan Rajadhyaksha

China seems to have finally edged ahead of Japan to become the second biggest economy in the world. Japan said on Monday that its gross domestic product (GDP) for the second quarter was $1.288 trillion, lower than the $1.339 trillion latest quarterly GDP that China declared earlier. Only the US has a bigger economy now. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects India to produce economic output worth $1.367 trillion in calendar 2010, which means that the Chinese economy is now about four times larger than ours. It produces in one quarter what we produce in one year.

There is no doubt that the Indian economy has taken mighty steps in the past few decades to close the huge gap with other major economies, but this is a good time to take a long view and examine by how much we still lag the other major economic powers. It gives us some idea about the enormity of the task ahead, hopefully temper some of the current enthusiasm about the inevitability of economic superstardom and remind the government that there is still a lot of hard economic reform to be done. The data used in this column has been taken from the database provided by IMF as part of its World Economic Outlook.

India and China had comparable levels of per capita income in 1980, around the time Deng Xiaoping liberated his country from the Maoist madness and Indira Gandhi began to tentatively undo the worst aspects of her earlier economic policies. This was not too long after some pessimistic Western critics dismissed India and China as ticking Malthusian time bombs. The average Indian earned $255 in 1980, while the average Chinese earned $313.

Thirty years later, there is a yawning gap between the average incomes of Indians and Chinese: $1,124 and $3,999, respectively. India keeps company such as Bhutan ($2,042), Djibouti ($1,369), Pakistan ($1,067), Senegal ($1026) and Zambia ($1,317); even Sri Lanka ($1,806) is ahead of us. China is in the same range as countries such as Macedonia ($4,560), Peru ($4,949), Thailand ($4,402), Bosnia and Herzegovina ($4,302), Jamaica ($4,601) and Ecuador ($4,328).

We are hovering around the per capita income levels of some of the better African states, while China is now on a par with some East European and South American countries. India will have an average income of $1,681 in 2015 while China will be at $6,861, according to IMF estimates.

Yet, a large population will allow us to boast of one of the world’s largest economies and hence provide us a seat in global governance forums such as the Group of Twenty (G-20) and the IMF. India will be an oddity—by becoming a global economic power before it can ensure the economic empowerment of its people. Most countries have been able to flex their muscles in international economic forums after they have achieved a certain level of mass prosperity. India has just about entered the ranks of what the World Bank calls the lower middle-income countries (per capita income of between $996 and $3,945), but has already won a place at the high table of global policy because of the sheer size of its economy. It is a welcome development, but also seems to have lulled us into a false sense of prosperity.

There is another way of looking at the issue of a large economy with very low average incomes. Twenty-two million Australians produce almost the same value of annual output as 1.2 billion Indians do. In other words, the average Australian produces nearly 55 times more than an average Indian. That is a rough indicator of the large gap in the output per worker in the two countries. Indians need access to capital, credit, skills and markets to climb the productivity ladder. It is bound to be a long and arduous journey.

All this is not to belittle the massive changes and improvements in the Indian economy over the past three decades. The economic reforms and growth acceleration we have seen have pulled millions of Indians out of poverty. Indian businessmen have been given the opportunity to build competitive businesses. Accelerated economic growth also provides the government tax revenues to build infrastructure and fund social safety nets.

China has left behind India in the past three decades. But there is no need for crushing pessimism. India today has a per capita income that is almost equal to what China had in 2002. That means India is just eight years behind China in the development race—a significant gap but not an impossible one to close, especially if India emerges as the world’s fastest growing major economy by 2013-15, as investment bank Morgan Stanley has predicted in a new report released on Monday.

So the long view is not uniformly pessimistic after all.

Niranjan Rajadhyaksha is managing editor of Mint. Your comments are welcome at cafeeconomics@livemint.com

The long view for India - Columnist - livemint.com

China undertook market reforms in the late 1970's under Deng Xiaoping, while India undertook market reforms in the 1990's under Narasimha Rao.

That time difference explains why there is a gap.

However I think India can catch up to China VERY quickly, if you look at how fast the Indian growth rate is accelerating.

The Indian growth rate is predicted to overtake the Chinese growth rate in the next few years.

So, the long-term outlook seems very positive for the whole of Asia. :cheers:

Last edited:
i am not so optimisitic about india. i think the mindset of central planning has to go for fast growth, simply because the governance is ridiculously inefficient. all this stupidity about subsidising food in the present by populist and sure to fail measure like right to food makes me pessimistic.

this government is deficit spending like a mad man on drugs ensuring a massive and ever increasing interest bill.

whats needed is massive infrastructure investment for better productivity in all sectors, esp agriculture.

China undertook market reforms in the late 1970's under Deng Xiaoping, while India undertook market reforms in the 1990's under Narasimha Rao.

However I think India can catch up to China VERY quickly, if you look at how fast the Indian growth rate is accelerating.

The Indian growth rate is predicted to overtake the Chinese growth rate in the next few years.

Buddy Some time I doubt that you are chinese .:D

You need to meet some Chinese people for yourself. And then you'll doubt if some of the other members here are actually 'Chinese'.

You're right. :cheers:

Ask any Indian or Pakistani person who has Chinese friends in real life, and they will tell you that we are normal people, just like anyone else.

We just want to improve the lives of our people, and to live in peace with our neighbours. Ask any Chinese person face-to-face and they will tell you this.

Buddy Some time I doubt that you are chinese .:D

No he is Chinese but he's a westernized liberal Chinese and not representative of either the party or the majority of the people. That said members like Chinaowns and Speeder2 aren't exact representative either.

He has a tendency like many Chinese Liberals enamoured with the west to overlook Realpolitik in favour of well meaning platitudes in hopes of getting the west to "like us".

No he is Chinese but he's a westernized liberal Chinese and not representative of either the party or the majority of the people. That said members like Chinaowns and Speeder2 aren't exact representative either.

He has a tendency like many Chinese Liberals enamoured with the west to overlook Realpolitik in favour of well meaning platitudes in hopes of getting the west to "like us".
so actually what kind of chinese you are?? no offence meant

You may call me a "liberal Chinese"... but unlike you, I actually LIVE in China.

It's a fact, that most Chinese people I know, do not have a "problem" with India at all. Why would they?

Also I am not "enamoured" with the West. The West is trying to use India to contain China... why help them?

Last edited:
so actually what kind of chinese you are?? no offence meant

My political views you mean? It's complicated, but I'm probably somewhere in the middle. I think nationalism and the need to defend every criticism of China is stupid but I also agree to most part with the current outlook of the government.

I am share similar political views with members like but limited to Chauism, no_name, Joe_Shearer, and mike05. I agree with the vast majority of their posts.

suppose we compare this to Japanese growth rate during the 1960 between 10-6% rate both India and China lacking greatly behind. China's growth rate in GDP is 9% for 1.3 billion people. Compared to Japanese growth rate of 10% for 94 million at the time. If China was to match Japanese developement, rates would have to be around 130% for a consecutive 10-20 years to catch up. Similarly, India has been experienceing growth at 7% which is slightly lower account of population than China and much lower than Japan.

If we compare Japanese GDP growth now, we see 2.5 increase annually. multiply by ratio of 10 for China's 1.3 billion vs 130 million Japanese, and we see China needs to expand at 25% annually. If we use India, it would be 23% growth rate.

Compared to these Japanese economy, both of ours are growing at an extremely slow pace. However we have to regard that they account for only 1/50 of world population, while we have 1/5 and 1/6 of world population. our customers are less than 10% of the customers they have for our export driven economies.

You may call me a "liberal Chinese"... but unlike you, I actually LIVE in China.

It's a fact, that most Chinese people I know, do not have a "problem" with India at all. Why would they?

Also I am not "enamoured" with the West. The West is trying to use India to contain China... why help them?

No no I don't mean to imply that you don't love your country, but just that you're outlook falls on the optimistically pro-western spectrum of Chinese opinion. And you're right you probably do know the conditions on the ground better but the people you know is a self-selecting group dictated by your social circle, work, socio-economic status and ultimately till represents a tiny sample size in a large country like China.

The role of India as a competitor or partner is not clear cut and is often ambiguous. Of course I want there to be cooperation for mutual gain but it is far from clear that this will be the case. There is still a lot of mistrust, if you don't believe me go through a couple of posts about China in bharat-rakshak.

Bharat Rakshak • View topic - Let us Understand the Chinese

OK... I'll conclude by saying that CardSharp's political opinions are probably more representative of the majority of Chinese people than mine are.

Still, you will not find many people in Hong Kong who are more pro-Bejing and more pro-China than me. I don't even use the Hong Kong flag... I always use the PRC flag.

So I am definitely not "pro-West", but maybe my political opinions are more liberal than the average person.

OK... I'll conclude by saying that CardSharp's political opinions are probably more representative of the majority of Chinese people than mine are.

Still, you will not find many people in Hong Kong who are more pro-Bejing and more pro-China than me. I don't even use the Hong Kong flag... I always use the PRC flag.

So I am definitely not "pro-West", but maybe my political opinions are more liberal than the average person.

That was just the point that I wanted to make. It doesn't mean your political opinions are any less desirable or valid. In fact they are commendable but it is just one of many in China right now.

and point taken about your pro-unity beliefs. You should meet my HK friend who absolutely hates mainland FOB's (fresh off the boat immigrants) and probably will never think of HK as part of China. Why he's friends with me, I still don't know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom