What's new

The Indian within

most of pak punjab from lahore to bahawalpur and sialkot/jhelum/attock have many cultural simialrities with Indian. Punjab till delhi,it is a fact and thats because there r numerous people who used to travel between delhi n peshawar.

i dont know the narrative of your bourgouise but what u say is not true.

Baloch/Pashtuns/Sindhis may be different.

Most of Punjab does not have similarities with Indian Punjab in the Cultural sense !

Most of Southern Punjab doesn't have linguistic similarities with Indian Punjab let alone Cultural ones because it is a Saraiki Speaking region with some Baluch Speaking Regions !

Most of Northern Punjab is Potowhari, Gojri, Hindko or Pahari speaking regions which have similarities either with Kashmir or with the Western Parts of Pakistan !

Most of Central Punjab speaks Punjabi & thats about the extent of the similarities between Indian Punjab & Pakistani Punjab because even when it comes to Punjab - Our Punjabis are different & I don't just mean the script but the anecdotes, the tales, the pronouns, even the songs (theme) etc. & when it comes to the Culture - there really isn't any similarity between the two is there ? No one from here celebrates Besakhi (I dunno even know how to spell it) or other Punjabi Cultural Festivals which are interwoven with Sikh & to a lesser extent Hindu Religious Festivals - Maybe the Basant would be an exception to the rule but for the past decade or so - No basant either because of the deaths due to severed throats & what not !

I think we should probably cut the author some slack and accept that he is talking about his own views. He is not speaking for the average Balochi or the average Pakhtun.

As a Karachiiite, I agree with him on many points since there is no denying the strong cultural connections with India.

My only comment was about his characterization of what's happening within India.

I just don't fancy reading a proselytizing piece especially one that isn't reflective of Pakistan or Pakistanis & I do feel nauseous due to these self-righteous & pious sermons !

but i expect better from the Title Holders . . . .irrespective of their nationalities . . . is it something too much to ask for ? :coffee:

We understand Modi quite well because his tactics are standard for all demagogs throughout history. His economic achievements do not preclude his other tactics.

You may not like it when others dissect your hero unemotionally but that's the name of the game when you enter politics.

As an Urdu-speaking Lahoriyaa - I see the myopia & the arrogance every day; I don't know why being more attuned to our cultural roots involves paying homage to North Indian Culture or even that of Indian Punjab ? I can't understand why people don't realize that Pakistan lies at the crossroads of three major sub-continents or unique geographic entities - South Asia, Central Asia & the Middle East, which gives us a unique blend of ethnic, linguistic, historic & geographic paradigms !

That said I have no qualms over appreciating the similarities between Pakistan & Afghanistan, Pakistan & Iran & Pakistan & India but there is a difference between appreciating similarities & white-washing everything with the same 'brush' !

Its so sad & depressing !

Empathy_Smilies.gif

haven't seen you for a while :wave:

Most of Punjab does not have similarities with Indian Punjab in the Cultural sense !

Most of Southern Punjab doesn't have linguistic similarities with Indian Punjab let alone Cultural ones because it is a Saraiki Speaking region with some Baluch Speaking Regions !

Most of Northern Punjab is Potowhari, Gojri, Hindko or Pahari speaking regions which have similarities either with Kashmir or with the Western Parts of Pakistan !

Most of Central Punjab speaks Punjabi & thats about the extent of the similarities between Indian Punjab & Pakistani Punjab because even when it comes to Punjab - Our Punjabis are different & I don't just mean the script but the anecdotes, the tales, the pronouns, even the songs (theme) etc. & when it comes to the Culture - there really isn't any similarity between the two is there ? No one from here celebrates Besakhi (I dunno even know how to spell it) or other Punjabi Cultural Festivals which are interwoven with Sikh & to a lesser extent Hindu Religious Festivals - Maybe the Basant would be an exception to the rule but for the past decade or so - No basant either because of the deaths due to severed throats & what not !

I just don't fancy reading a proselytizing piece especially one that isn't reflective of Pakistan or Pakistanis !
when the author says similarity he is only speaking in relative terms, he also says bangladesh is another country pakistanis have cultural similarity with. To certain extent even thats true for many pakistanis although there is quite a lot of dissimilarity.
I buy fruits here from an afgan vendor and can easily think of him as my own(he understands hindustani), thats relative of course coz I am contrasting against white and black folks.

We understand Modi quite well because his tactics are standard for all demagogs throughout history. His economic achievements do not preclude his other tactics.

You may not like it when others dissect your hero unemotionally but that's the name of the game when you enter politics.

And by we you mean the Pakistanis ?

Sadly you are mistaken ,Sire !

you hardly know anything about India and indians it seems :coffee:

name a single country where A Muslim guy became President of a Hindu majority while the Prime minister is a sikh and the defence minister a xtian ?

:coffee:

Answer this and i'll tell you what indians politics now is :coffee:

most of pak punjab from lahore to bahawalpur and sialkot/jhelum/attock have many cultural simialrities with Indian. Punjab till delhi,it is a fact and thats because there r numerous people who used to travel between delhi n peshawar.

i dont know the narrative of your bourgouise but what u say is not true.

Baloch/Pashtuns/Sindhis may be different.

Pakistani Punjab is very diverse... some parts are almost Identical with Indian Punjab (if you exclude religion) while others are very different.

I did read the entire article !

These 'groups' are more than 90% of Pakistan; his 'similarities' don't extend beyond the Suburbs of Lahore or Karachi let alone the entireity of those Provinces !

Except that it does. You are focusing on the differences, he is focusing on the similarities.

Wrong.

Indian middle class is becoming less liberal and getting seduced by Hindutva extremism. The difference is that Indians are smart enough to couch their fanaticism in politically correct terms like "cultural chauvinism", "anti communalism" and "atheist Hinduism".

Modi, ever an opportunist, is tapping into this yearning for Hindu assertiveness.

Had an opportunity to go length in Gujrat via train and the reason people talking about Modi was purely justified. Just look outside.

With time religion is actually fading, the youth dislike talking about it, no one actually understand it. Its not cool to be religious anymore. So dont judge especially when you are doing it wrong.

I just don't fancy reading a proselytizing piece especially one that isn't reflective of Pakistan or Pakistanis & I do feel nauseous due to these self-righteous & pious sermons !

seraiki is not Greek/latin,

I have many Punjabi/Sindhi friends in India and they can totally understand what's being said.

I have friends from many castes of Pak Punjab and barring certain conservative people,everyone knows what is baiksakhi,it is a harvest festival.

it is the harvest festival all across india,it is celebrated on the same day in april.come on dude.

basant & Baisakhi are an integral part of India as the two crops get harvested then.

I know potohar people also,thats right next to Jammu and u r telling me they share nothing?

see dude,i can go eat a burger/KFC and talk americanised lingo/slang,it might give me self esteem but it wont make an american or get me a passport.

i disagree with you,i know pathans too and they along with arabs/baloch put pak punjabis in the same group with indian punjabis.

when the author says similarity he is only speaking in relative terms, he also says bangladesh is another country pakistanis have cultural similarity with. To certain extent even thats true for many pakistanis although there is quite a lot of dissimilarity.
I buy fruits here from an afgan vendor and can easily think of him as my own(he understands hindustani), thats relative of course coz I am contrasting against white and black folks.

Bangladesh & Us don't have any Cultural Similarity ! :o:

A personal connection is one thing but saying 'Pakistan' has very similar Culture to India is something quite different because for starters it doesn't & besides there really is no 'Pakistani Culture' & no 'Indian Culture' - Is there ? :unsure:

I have a personal connection with Indians on this very forum & I do feel a sense of affinity with them & thats the commonality I'm talking about !

u r free to dissect n analyze Modi but u like many foriegners merely heard propoganda about him/RSS,most indians also dont know the ground reality,

so feel free.

And by we you mean the Pakistanis ?

Sadly you are mistaken ,Sire !

you hardly know anything about India and indians it seems :coffee:

name a single country where A Muslim guy became President of a Hindu majority while the Prime minister is a sikh and the defence minister a xtian ?

:coffee:

Answer this and i'll tell you what indians politics now is :coffee:

Most of these positions are appointed, not elected.

As for electing a Sikh, Pakistan also elected a woman before the US did. Would anyone seriously suggest that Pakistan offers better rights to women than America does?

Except that it does. You are focusing on the differences, he is focusing on the similarities.

Hes focusing on the Elite....I'm talking about the Country - If to focus on the 'similarities' calls for white-washing over entire swathes of the Country & still assert we're being representative here then good luck to him !

With time religion is actually fading, the youth dislike talking about it, no one actually understand it. Its not cool to be religious anymore. So dont judge especially when you are doing it wrong.

You are right that religion is becoming unfashionable. That is why I pointed out that Hindutva proponents are promoting Hinduism as a cultural construct. According to them, everyone in India is a Hindu, almost by definition.

Pakistani Punjab is very diverse... some parts are almost Identical with Indian Punjab (if you exclude religion) while others are very different.

even Indian punjab is divided as majha/malwa/doab.

U guys,pak punjabis in 100 years or so ll be known as the original people of ur areas and rightfully so.

But the deal is,cultural similarities do exist.

religious differences might exist too,people can get conservative and say stop celebrating harvest festivals but it ll shocking to see the actual farmers forget baisakhi/basant.

it is their choice anyway.

Back
Top Bottom