What's new

The Indian within

As I said mate, you are focusing on the differences, the author is focusing on the similarities. When he says cultural similarities he is not talking about the "burger people" of India and Pakistan, he is talking about the average folks. Keeping the whether Kashmir belongs to India or Pakistan argument aside there are still similarities between Punjabi and Sindhi communities of Pakistan and North Indian groups.

It doesn't have to be to exactly the same, its about who and what you can relate to. Would a Pakistani Punjabi feel closer to an Indian Punjabi, Jammuite, a Gujjar, a Rajput, a Haryanavi,a Pahari from Himachal or would he feel closer to an Arab or Persian? Does a Polish feel closer to a Ukranian or does he feel closer to an African?

Whether you like it or not, but there is a North India inside Eastern Pakistan and there is a Eastern Pakistan inside North India. Some see it, some don't or rather won't.

15 million Muhajirs-->Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Deccan, Bhopal (300 Million Indians)

80 Million Pakistani Punjabis-->30 Million Indian Punjabis+2 Millions Jammuites+ Gujjars +Rajputs. Yes there are differences, but you can't ignore the similarities either.

35 Million Pakistani Sindhis--> 4 Million Indian Sindhis

1 Million Pakistani Gujaratis--> 60 Million Indian Gujaratis

Heck there are even some Baloch in India!

For some reason, the south Asian mentality is to emphasize and exaggerate the differences between different groups. There isa strong tribal mentality in our region.

Come on bro, u also havent stepped out of Lahore and are complaining that the author is myopic. U dont even speak punjabi properly, how can u comment about the verbs and the sayings etc etc. A lot of central punjab and majha region of Indian Punjab share the same dialect of Punjabi.

I have stepped out of Lahore quite often; some of the stock takes as part of my Internships took me all over the Province so I do know what I'm talking about ! :)

And no I don't speak proper Punjabi but the divergence between Indian Punjabis - either from experience or from listening to them on the Telly - is quite apparent !

Back
Top Bottom