What's new

The Indian within

While the author is right broadly speaking, he exposes his intellectual dishonesty at several points.

the Indian middle class has become more liberal and Westernised.

Wrong.

Indian middle class is becoming less liberal and getting seduced by Hindutva extremism. The difference is that Indians are smart enough to couch their fanaticism in politically correct terms like "cultural chauvinism", "anti communalism" and "atheist Hinduism".

Modi, ever an opportunist, is tapping into this yearning for Hindu assertiveness.

Indian hawks

as opposed to Pakistani "fanatics"?

Why not call a fanatic a fanatic on both sides of the border?

Or would that be asking for too much intellectual honesty from the author?

It never ceases to amaze me how these Lahoriyas & Karachiwalas think that Pakistan is restricted to the bourgeoisie of these two cities & these two cities alone !

Most of Punjab isn't culturally very similar to Indian Punjab let alone the Saraiki, the Hindko, Potowhari or Gojri Belt !

And what of the Baluch, Sindhi & Pukhtoon Belt ? How does one keep on white-washing them whenever the Culture or rather the Culture (s) of Pakistan are discussed ?

And what of the Gilgiti & the Baltis ? They - like Northern Punjab - have cultural similarities with Occupied Kashmir not with India !

And the same with Southern Indians and the most ignored part of India, the seven sister states in the North-East.

Whilst I do treat the peace brigade with more respect than the jingoists on either side of the border, they do get on the nerve with their naivety.

While the article contains within it a nice sentiment,

The article really just expounds on idealism wihout taking into reality.

And the reality is that Indians and Pakistanis are both stupid as hell and deserve the fate they have now.

The fate is of course to be thirld world countries other countries look at and do case studies on how not to conduct national affairs.

While all this cross border love is nauseating at it's best, first India needs to sort itself out.

Badly, Really badly.

Its for Indians and Pakistanis. . not for a Sheep banger from some remote islands in southern hemisphere :bunny:( j/k)

On a serious note. . .

you are bang on target on this point.

its our own deeds that has left us in such a miserable condition. but i am still hopeful .. as things are changing. . just waiting for the right time :)

While the author is right broadly speaking, he exposes his intellectual dishonesty at several points.

Wrong.

Indian middle class is becoming less liberal and getting seduced by Hindutva extremism. The difference is that Indians are smart enough to couch their fanaticism in politically correct terms like "cultural chauvinism", "anti communalism" and "atheist Hinduism".

Modi, ever an opportunist, is tapping into this yearning for Hindu assertiveness.

This is correct. This forum and any Indian news publication and their comment boards serve as an illustration to this.

Over the years, the intolerance has slowly build upto the point they are willing to whitewash the history of caste system, or view differing opinion form other Hindus and brand them as traitors.

as opposed to Pakistani "fanatics"?

Why not call a fanatic a fanatic on both sides of the border?

Or would that be asking for too much intellectual honesty from the author?

The Author is following American procedure. Neo-Cons are hawks, never Fanatics.

That is reserved for the Muslim Folk :D

@Developereo You also forgot the accusation that Right wingers throw around of Pseudo-secularism implying that they themselves are secular. :-)

Wrong.

a very oversimplified explanation . .

if that was the case. . Aam Aadmi party would have got nothing in the Delhi elections. . Modi wave has got more to do with the failures of the current government :coffee:

if that was the case. . Aam Aadmi party would have got nothing in the Delhi elections. . Modi wave has got more to do with the failures of the current government :coffee:

Yes, it's a combination of factors. I was citing one of his "selling points".

Actually being an opportunist is a compliment to be a politician.

Despite coming from an bacward caste, poor background, he stands ready to take the helm of India.

You have to be ruthless, Machiavellian and tough to survive and thrive in Indian politics.

He is still the best candidate for Prime Minstership. Says more about the quality of Indian politics than anything really.

you are right.. Modi wave is more to do with the disenchantment of the public by the current govt.'s economic performance

It never ceases to amaze me how these Lahoriyas & Karachiwalas think that Pakistan is restricted to the bourgeoisie of these two cities & these two cities alone !

As a Urdu-speaking Karachiite, I have to say you are absolutely right.

The myopia and arrogance of the urban elite is quite astonishing. Far from appreciating Pakistan's diversity, these people routinely dismiss these groups you mentioned.

P.S. However, one could say that the author is speaking for himself only, not all of Pakistan. In that sense, his views are valid.

Last edited:
Btw, To clarify my previous stateemnts. I fully support Hindu Nationalists to express their viewpoints.

It is just that over the years they have employed bully boy tactics especially in the internet.

That's not kewl.

Yes, it's a combination of factors. I was citing one of his "selling points".
Still a very simplified explanation, Sire !

:coffee:

his selling points are Development and growth.

and if Hindutva was the trump card to win elections in India . . then parties like Shiv sena or MNS would have got presence All over India . . and People like Raaj Thakrey and Baal Thakrey would have got the Prime Ministerial post:coffee:

Most of Punjab isn't culturally very similar to Indian Punjab let alone the Saraiki, the Hindko, Potowhari or Gojri Belt !

And what of the Baluch, Sindhi & Pukhtoon Belt ? How does one keep on white-washing them whenever the Culture or rather the Culture (s) of Pakistan are discussed ?

And what of the Gilgiti & the Baltis ? They - like Northern Punjab - have cultural similarities with Occupied Kashmir not with India !

I have no qualms over appreciating the commonalities between the two of us whether Cultural or Linguistic but blowing them out of proportion against all sense of reason & proportion is either moronic or the author & not the rest of us is guilty of a confused identity !

He did cover those groups as well, am guessing you didn't read the entire article.

As a Urdu-speaking Karachiite, I have to say you are absolutely right.

The myopia and arrogance of the urban elite is quite astonishing. Far from appreciating Pakistan's diversity, these people routinely dismiss these groups you mentioned.

@Developereo Really?

Because Indians in the North-East and the Southern parts dismiss the aloofness of the Delhi Elite.

Also another Modi tactic, to berate the English speaking, colonised Brown Sahibs in charge of the country and speak for the 'common' Man, whilst taking the help of the captains of industry.

Back
Top Bottom