What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

Nice Thread so in various way you can maintain you Health & Fitness..

Antibody, I like the Stronglifts 5x5 system because of its simplicity and results. What it essentially consists of is the following :

Workout 1

Barbell Rows - Deadlifts - Squat

Workout 2

Bench Press - Overhead Press - Squat

Add to that weighted pulls when you're strong enough and the results speak for themselves. And yeah...5x5 means - 5 sets of 5 reps...instead of the 3 sets of 8-12 reps that many do and your supposed to train like a power-lifter i.e the motion should be quick and explosive but not with a counter productive and even dangerous jerk ! And you do train 3 times a week and cycle through the workouts, Mon - 1, Wed - 2 and then Thurs - 1 again...and so on and so forth !

P.S I gave up going to the gym about 2 years ago...because I'm hooked to doing Hindu Pushups, Hindu Squats, Pullups and Sprinting - Gives me both strength, flexibility, endurance and much needed agility required for football !

Do anyone do Plyometrics with the weight training? Heard it boosts the muscle strength by 25% allowing you to lift heavier weights than before?

Do anyone do Plyometrics with the weight training? Heard it boosts the muscle strength by 25% allowing you to lift heavier weights than before?

I used to do jump squats and plyometric pushups. I dunno about strength because to get stronger, I believe, requires a progressive increase in resistance...however they helped me a lot with my agility, improved my reaction time and my acceleration in soccer/football ! All in all a very good thing to do !

armstrong , all of the exercises you posted are compound exercises --i also have a similar routine.. except the militery shoulder press, i do arnorld shoulder press , except the conventional deadlift i do romanian version ..aswell as pullups

How to get a good night sleep without taking sleeping pills or liquor drinking

armstrong , all of the exercises you posted are compound exercises --i also have a similar routine.. except the militery shoulder press, i do arnorld shoulder press , except the conventional deadlift i do romanian version ..aswell as pullups

Indeed...compound is the only way forward, unless of course your using isolation or the machines for injury rehabilitation !

Arnold shoulder press...hmmn ! I've always thought that they are more suited to those coming back from a shoulder injury because they too when compared with a standard overhead press tend to involve less muscles. But I suppose my dislike could also be because I'm more of a barbell person.
As for the Romanian Deadlfit...I prefer the standard ones...work my lower back more but then again without proper form the rounding could be hazardous !

P.S Ever tried Power Cleans..? My friend, a tennis buff, swears by them !

Indeed...compound is the only way forward, unless of course your using isolation or the machines for injury rehabilitation !

Arnold shoulder press...hmmn ! I've always thought that they are more suited to those coming back from a shoulder injury because they too when compared with a standard overhead press tend to involve less muscles. But I suppose my dislike could also be because I'm more of a barbell person.
As for the Romanian Deadlfit...I prefer the standard ones...work my lower back more but then again without proper form the rounding could be hazardous !

Indeed compound exercises are better in weight training as it triggers HGH and testosterone which are fat bursting harmones and improves the metabolic rate thus slowing down the aging process. I do switch between free barbells, smith machine and other machines for the same musclegroup every once in a month.

Indeed compound exercises are better in weight training as it triggers HGH and testosterone which are fat bursting harmones and improves the metabolic rate thus slowing down the aging process. I do switch between free barbells, smith machine and other machines for the same musclegroup every once in a month.

Take my advice bin the machines and solely focus on compound exercises whether its with a barbell, a weighted vest or dumbbells because the machines stabilize the weight for you and impedes building truly functional strength.

Smoking messed me up, I get out of breath over running Up few stairs, I joint a gym few months ago but the coach was freaking ruthless so I gave up. I wasn't like that before smoking.:pop:

P.S Ever tried Power Cleans..? My friend, a tennis buff, swears by them !

arnold press hits all the 3 deltoids--- its the best deltoid exercise if you are saving time--- otherwise front raises, lateral raises, tilted raised and shoulder press would itself take 18 minutes minimum

Smoking messed me up, I get out of breath over running Up few stairs, I joint a Jim few months ago but the coach was freaking ruthless so I gave up. I wasn't like that before smoking.:pop:

Thankfully I've got a Mom who'd put the US Navy Seals to shame if she ever found out that I smoked even a single cigarette ! So No Smoking for me !

Take my advice bin the machines and solely focus on compound exercises whether its with a barbell, a weighted vest or dumbbells because the machines stabilize the weight for you and impedes building truly functional strength.

I do understand that the machines stabilize the weights. I hit the plateau with the barbells and that is when I started switching the workout approach and it has worked out well for me.

Back
Top Bottom