What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

cardio will help you in losing wt -- if you are doing compound exercises, muscle mass increase may may balance off fat loss-- thus body fat% variation/loss wont show on simple wt scale

More than four cups of coffee a day puts you at risk of early death: experts

ISLAMABAD: US researchers found more than 28 cups of coffee in a week increases by half the chances of premature death in younger people If you’re already holding your first coffee of the morning, you might want to put it down.

Because of drinking coffee four cups a day could raise your risk of dying young, researchers warn but only if you’re under 55, Health News reported.

They found that consuming 28 cups of coffee a week increases the chances of premature death in younger people by half.

The findings come from a large- scale American lifestyle study of 43,727 individuals aged 20 to 87.

The US researchers suspect excessive coffee consumption may adversely affect the body’s metabolism, outweighing some of the known health benefits.

Individuals with a `genetic coffee addiction’ may be prone to these harmful effects, they suggest.

But the latest study conflicts with a number of others, which have linked moderate coffee consumption with longevity.

Around 2,500 deaths were recorded over the course of the 16-year study.

Just under a third of these were because of heart and artery disease.

Participants who drank more coffee were also more likely to smoke, and had less healthy hearts and lungs.

The risk of death from all causes rose by 56 per cent for men and women younger than 55 who drank more than 28 cups of coffee a week, said a report in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings.

Scientists suspect excessive coffee consumption may adversely affect the body’s metabolism, outweighing some of the known health benefits

Researcher Steven Blair, of the University of South Carolina, said: ‘Significantly the results did not demonstrate any association between coffee consumption and all-cause mortality in older men and women.’

But the researchers did not explain why coffee did not affect older people in the same way. Coffee contains thousands of different chemicals, which can have both good and bad effects on health.

Mouth bacteria may trigger bowel cancer: US researchers said they have discovered that a common oral bacterium can trigger a cascade of changes leading to colorectal cancer. The microorganism called fusobacteria, which are found in the mouth, may stimulate bad immune responses and turn on cancer growth genes to generate colorectal tumors, two studies published in the journal Cell Host and Microbe revealed.

Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer- related death in the United States. Recent studies have shown that fusobacteria from the mouth are also abundant in tissues from colorectal cancer patients but it was not known whether they directly contribute to the formation of tumors, BBC reported

In one of the new studies, Professor Yiping Han from the Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine and her collaborators discovered that fusobacteria rely on a molecule called FadA, which is found on the surface of these bacterial cells, to attach to and invade human colorectal cancer cells.

FadA then turns on cancer growth genes and stimulates inflammatory responses in these cells and promotes tumor formation, Han said.

Han’s team also found that the FadA gene levels are 10 to 100 times higher than normal in precancerous and malignant colon polyps.

Moreover, they identified a compound known as peptide that can prevent FadA’s effects on cancer cells. “We showed that FadA is a marker that can be used for the early diagnosis of colorectal cancer and identified potential therapeutic targets to treat or prevent this common and debilitating disease,” Han said.

In the second study, researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute found that fusobacteria are prevalent in human adenomas, or benign tumors that can become malignant over time, suggesting that these microbes contribute to early stages of tumor formation.

In a mouse model of colorectal cancer, these bacteria accelerated the formation of tumors by attracting immune cells called myeloid cells, which invade tumors and stimulate inflammatory responses that can cause cancer, they said.

The findings will not only lead to more effective strategies for the early diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of colorectal cancer, but also show the importance of good oral health, Han added. agencies.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Dr. Oz talks about the dangers of a big waist and belly fat

Last edited by a moderator:
fat-vs-muscle-pic-300x231.jpg

Clients always get frustrated when after 4 to 6 weeks they don’t see the numbers on the scale changing. It’s not until we do a Body Fat % analysis that they see how drastic the results actually are. Reducing your body fat percentage means you are replacing fat with lean, fat burning muscle tissue which not only tones up your physique, it enables you to move more efficiently and allows your body to burn fat at a much higher rate, even at rest. This photo does a lovely job of capturing exactly how the drastic change in volume doesn’t necessarily mean a great difference in mass.

Fat vs. Muscle. Understanding body composition.

So what are your gradient, the speed, the running time, the mileage, and weight in general?
And what heart beat/min you reach just at the moment you finish your running on treadmill?

After doing 300 rope jumps, I reach 122-125 heart beat/min.

Going for laser eye surgery within week. My eyesight is so terrible (-3.00 with -1.00 astig) that I can't even go from one room to another without glasses. Guys please pray for me. Very nervous. Doctor said I am an excellent candidate due to my thick corneas but I am very nervous. Hope I don't die on operation chair. :sad:

Going for laser eye surgery within week. My eyesight is so terrible (-3.00 with -1.00 astig) that I can't even go from one room to another without glasses. Guys please pray for me. Very nervous. Doctor said I am an excellent candidate due to my thick corneas but I am very nervous. Hope I don't die on operation chair. :sad:

You'll be fine :) Nobody's died from LASIK surgery as far as I'm aware.

best of luck with your surgery - my prayers are with you

So what are your gradient, the speed, the running time, the mileage, and weight in general?
And what heart beat/min you reach just at the moment you finish your running on treadmill?

After doing 300 rope jumps, I reach 122-125 heart beat/min.

i had undergone 2 operations and had lost 20kg -- now after a few months of bed rest/ mild exercise, ive gained 30kg to my surprise.. [20kg that i had lost and 10 above]

so it was my first day on treadmill, at home, i did 28 laps in 2 hours at a low 5.6 speed

I aim to maintain a speed at which its difficult for me to talk to someone --- that is generally 9 speed for me, once ive done treadmill for a few days

Which matters most for weight loss: Speed or distance?

If Speed and Distance were competing in a race for the #1 weight-loss title, Distance would come out slightly ahead. Specifically, duration matters slightly more than intensity, though intensity is also an important factor. Here's how duration wins the fat-burning game: Exercise results in weight-loss when you either, a) expend more calories than you take in, or b) burn fat during your workout. Or both.

The body gets its energy from three primary sources: carbohydrates, fat, and protein. For the first 20-30 minutes of exercise that gets your heart rate up, carbohydrates are usually the primary source of muscular energy. Carbs are ideal because they are quick and easy fuel, requiring the least amount of oxygen to burn. If you were to suddenly get up from your computer and sprint for one minute, you would be burning carbs. However, once exercise time exceeds 30 minutes, there is an increased reliance on fat stores for energy because you begin to run out of the easy stuff.

Here's where intensity comes in. At low to moderate intensities (50—70 percent of your maximum heart rate), fat is the preferred fuel for muscles because you are burning calories at a slower rate and are thus not requiring the "quick" energy found in carbs. At higher intensities (70 percent or more of your max heart rate), the accumulation of lactic acid in the muscles inhibits fat utilization and carbohydrates become the primary source of energy. Therefore, low to moderate intensity exercise is ideal for maximum fat burning, especially if you have the time to devote to a longer exercise regimen (over 30 minutes). An individual's personal fitness level also determines their ability to burn fat. Higher fitness level is correlated with a greater ability to burn fat at all intensity levels because your body uses oxygen more efficiently when you're in good shape.

If you aren't sure about your max heart rate, an often followed guideline involves having a conversation while you exercise. If you and your walking pal can hold a conversation as you walk, you are likely doing low to moderate intensity working out. But if you are too out of breath to talk comfortably, you have probably crept up into the high-intensity realm. Thus, your calorie burning will go up, while your fat burning will go down.

Generally, regardless of which method burns more body fat, low-intensity exercise may be more appropriate for inclusion in an exercise program because it is better tolerated and will therefore result in more adherence to the program. It is also less likely to result in injury. However, a benefit of walking at a faster pace is that it helps improve cardiovascular function and fitness level. In time, a person who trains at higher levels of intensity can slowly increase his or her exercise time, building up endurance. A benefit of walking at a slower pace is that it allows a person to be in motion for a longer duration before becoming tired, which helps to build up endurance. In time, a person can slowly increase the intensity (speed up his or her walking), improving his or her level of fitness. Improvements in fitness occur by increasing the body's use of oxygen. Whether the intensity is high and duration is short, or the intensity is low and duration is long, relatively the same amount of oxygen is utilized and the same number of calories is expended.

What really counts is to be consistent in any activity you choose to do. Mixing it up — some days going for intensity with shorter, faster walks, and some days going for endurance with longer, slower walks — can keep you on your toes (pun intended). It can also make your exercise routine more interesting, fit into any schedule, and keep you and your buddy satisfied and happy.

i had undergone 2 operations and had lost 20kg -- now after a few months of bed rest/ mild exercise, ive gained 30kg to my surprise.. [20kg that i had lost and 10 above]

so it was my first day on treadmill, at home, i did 28 laps in 2 hours at a low 5.6 speed

I had a surgery in April and without working out and staying at home eating gained 20 pounds overall/2 inches in my waist. Now I have started with mild cardio but have been utilizing this time during the ramp up to the cardio regime again to do heavy arm exercises to gain biceps/triceps which always was a problem when you watchout for the diet and at the same time do cardio/compound exercises. Have moved from doing 60 pounds widegrip/closegrip/reverse grip barbells for biceps to 70-80 pounds. But do not think I won't be able to go beyond this once I have the regular schedule.

Hi,

To those of you who are heavy / over weight---and use treadmill for excercize---stop using the treadmill and use a stationery bike----the one that you sit on it like riding a bicycle and not the one where you lay back----.

First of all---riding the bike will strengthen your thigh muscles---which will make it easier for you to carry your weight---. You can ride the bike in short bursts of 5 minutes 2 to 3 times a day starting at level 3 and going onto level 5---. Start riding at 3.25 minutes a mile speed and see the difference in your life within 2 weeks.

Jogging on the treadmill won't give you strength---plus it will impact your joints---.

Mate took this picture

k3giBte.png

It's only now that I realise I've been neglecting leg-day :(

Can anyone tell me an effective way to burn belly fat?

Back
Top Bottom