What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

sometimes due to rapid fatigue , wt becomes too much during drop sets or supersets .. there were instances when only the smith machine saved me.. as it has the lock bar option on many levels.. sometimes i locked it right at the last level millimeters up my chest....hahahaha ive sandwitched myself way too often!

smith machine is the best option if you dont have a spotter/ helper

sometimes due to rapid fatigue , wt becomes too much during drop sets or supersets .. there were instances when only the smith machine saved me.. as it has the lock bar option on many levels.. sometimes i locked it right at the last level millimeters up my chest....hahahaha ive sandwitched myself way too often!

Smith Machine balances all the weight for you and it takes away much of the benefit that free-weights provide ! Instead of going for the machine...find a mentor to work with because he/she would not only serve as a spotter but also someone who can guide you, however if that is not possible...then be extra vigilant when working out and get your form right the very first time ! But don't go for the Smith Machine because you're going to miss out on a lot...in fact, you might even end with a disproportionately built body and one that could be injury prone because your stabilizing muscles haven't been proportionately developed.

P.S Having a Spotter isn't such a big deal...I can't recall a single guy I've known who had good form and concentrates on what he was doing, ever needing a spotter.

for chest workout , i do bench press for 3 weeks , next 3 wks dumbells , next 2 weeks cable crossovers --- then repeat this same chest routine from the start

Yeah I know what you mean, I also use it to do squats and I need every kind of assist I can find. Finding myself unable to get back up from a squatting position with free weights is my worst nightmare, especially considering how weak my legs are. Spotters don't solve all problems though, I do remember getting a spot from an older fellow and on my last rep, it quickly became clear that he wasn't aaactually strong enough...so I had to have him take the plates off one at a time while I lay there embarrassed and crushed between the bench and barbell...sigh...it kind of ruined the whole "push myself to the limit" phase.

P.S Having a Spotter isn't such a big deal...I can't recall a single guy I've known who had good form and concentrates on what he was doing, ever needing a spotter.

That's surprising; in my experience, having a spotter can make a big difference when it comes to lifting heavier weights; moving up in weight on your own is pretty hard. In my experience, if I don't have a spotter, I will plateau for months at a time...as is the case nower days.

Some of the best fitness exercises ever are the use of own body weight in exercising, you'll get heavier but still feel light, since you are carrying a weight you are used to in a natural way.
Some other best exercises are found in many martial arts, which put more emphasis on flexibility, strength, concentration, mind and body coordination and more, these were my best routines; worming up (the martial art way) and a few katas from Shotokan Karate and southern kung fu, nothing fancy: respiration forms from Kung fu and strengh speed and coordination from karate forms, a very efficient and beneficial combination in my experience.
Nutrition is Universal to all sports.

Plannin on hittin the gym from tommorow... trainers here are not good... anyways... just found a former city champion... be ready tarzan.. im gonna whoop ur butt... :lol:

Who cares to pick up weights when you play
Tennis (racquet used head)
Badminton (racquet used carbonex lt ace 8001,nano speed 6000,arc saber 10)
Squash (Dunlop)

Regular cycling for 7 kms

That's fool's gold my friend. I would know, I could easily get beat up by a smaller guy, but I can bench press 50lb over my weight. Dead lifts and Squats are probably a more accurate measure of strength. People who dominate these exercises have my utmost respect.

true, thats why one should also practice muay thai, wrestling and boxing.

Back
Top Bottom