What's new

The Fight against PKK Terrorism

True to some extent, but you must remeber that Obama admin looks at Syrian crisis solely as CT problem. They are only interesting in combating ISIS. Helll they allied them self with iranian backed shia militias in Iraq who are responsoble for numerous american deaths.... Fortunetly Obama is on his way out, and antu-russian hawk is coming to replace him - american and turkish interests will realign once again.

As for Russia and YPG, they were courting them for months now. They were their airforce in battle against rebels for tal Rifat and Meneging base few months ago. Russian instructors traing them in this base now for their push for rebel held Azaz. Rebel recent ofensive deleyed that opp for some time. Also russian - PKK relations have a long history...

I dont know, I wouldn trust the Russians one bit. Im sure Erdogan doesnt. I think turkish gov is just using this to put preassure on US.

Russian base on your border, S400 on the other side of Black Sea. How is this good for Turkey? And not just Syria, Caucasus , Balkan, are also fault lines.
I don't expect much change from Clinton or Trump when it comes to Turkey, pyd/pkk or the ME. Trust in the US was already low as anti-Americanism was high among the Turkish public, but due to the current US policies in Syria this trust will be even lower, even among Turkish politicians. The US currently is combating isis, but at the same time it's pushing through its agenda for Syria (and maybe Iraq as well).

Turkish govt used to use the Russia card in the past to put pressure on the US, but after the 'coup' attempt by Gulenists (and most probably CIA played a role in it) and the negative and unsupportive tone of the US and EU politicians and media says enough.
Things won't be the same again with the US and EU, i think. We don't have to be best friends with Russia suddenly, but at least our policies from now on should be more balanced. I mean, we wouldn't like it either if Russia only came knocking at our door when it needs to use the Turkish card. Furthermore, we can't really complain about Russia's actions (some of those you mentioned) against us as long as we continue to see Russia as an eternal enemy. Of course in return Russia should also be honest and drop hostilities towards Turkey (even then i wouldn't trust them that easily). We shall see what will happen, we can only speculate now.

I don't expect much change from Clinton or Trump when it comes to Turkey, pyd/pkk or the ME. Trust in the US was already low as anti-Americanism was high among the Turkish public, but due to the current US policies in Syria this trust will be even lower, even among Turkish politicians. The US currently is combating isis, but at the same time it's pushing through its agenda for Syria (and maybe Iraq as well).

Turkish govt used to use the Russia card in the past to put pressure on the US, but after the 'coup' attempt by Gulenists (and most probably CIA played a role in it) and the negative and unsupportive tone of the US and EU politicians and media says enough.
Things won't be the same again with the US and EU, i think. We don't have to be best friends with Russia suddenly, but at least our policies from now on should be more balanced. I mean, we wouldn't like it either if Russia only came knocking at our door when it needs to use the Turkish card. Furthermore, we can't really complain about Russia's actions (some of those you mentioned) against us as long as we continue to see Russia as an eternal enemy. Of course in return Russia should also be honest and drop hostilities towards Turkey (even then i wouldn't trust them that easily). We shall see what will happen, we can only speculate now.
The problem with our government is that we never take a stand and act on it,once left then right then forward after that backward again.
Do we ever know what the policy will be next,no we dont.
Lets hope that this time,things will be different.

The problem with our government is that we never take a stand and act on it,once left then right then forward after that backward again.
Do we ever know what the policy will be next,no we dont.
Lets hope that this time,things will be different.
Our govt also has a tendency to jump heads first into matters where it was better to wait and see before meddling and giving its stance. Also it feels the govt stands too much behind principles instead of looking out for interests.

Trumps will not be an US president. As for Clinton, its no secret that she and Obama had very different aproach to Syria and ME in large. For example, Clinton argued for military intervention (removoing Assad), NFZ, or at least safe zones along the turkish border. Erdogan and Turkey argued for the same. But Obama and his circle rejected it almost w7o any serious reconsidiration.

Few days ago official close to Clinton campaign confirmed that she is planing for a radical change in aproach to Syria. They will need Turkey for that. And Im sure, Erdogan & Turkey will drive hard bargain even if such policy change is in favor of turkish ambitions - you will ask for a lot more then "yestarday".

Re Russia, there will not be a new "reset", Putin went to far and this advanture with hacking of Democratic Party and shillin for Trump will not go w/o serious response from Clinton admin apart from its invasion of Ukraine and other things. You can bet on it. And for that Us will need Turkey also.

Term "eternal enemy" is I think a to strong and a bit archaic. I would use term "natural adversaries".

As for US/Western-Turkey relations... I would argue that things are not the same for some time now: What I mean by that, days of Turkey bending over to almost any US/western demand are over. And thats is the real problem, this focus on Erdogan is BS.... I Erdogan was an western sweethaert for years, until Turkey started carving its own independent policies and started making inroads to what was for almost for 100 years considered "western exclusive" zones of influence. Then suddanly labels came; sultan, Neo- ottomanisam, islamism etc... Thats the real issue. But by singling Erdogan they are doing it for two reasons; playing existing polarisation between so called secularist and so called islamist, and with that they are deflecting attention on d real issue of their enenemity towards Turkey. Erdogan isnt a problem, ambitous Turkey with potential of becoming the real independent regional force is.

Does anyone think France is happy of prospect of Turkish influence in North Africa for exmpl (bases in Somalia, Marocco, etc). They know very well that their reputaion there is a colonialist one, while Turkish/Ottoman is very different - Somalis remember who came to their aid in fending of 2 colonial attack, maroccans remember ottoman voloniers fighting along side them in a war for independence etc

Last edited:
Trumps will not be an US president. As for Clinton, its no secret that she and Obama had very different aproach to Syria and ME in large. For example, Clinton argued for military intervention (removoing Assad), NFZ, or at least safe zones along the turkish border. Erdogan and Turkey argued for the same. But Obama and his circle rejected it almost w7o any serious reconsidiration.

Few days ago official close to Clinton campaign confirmed that she is planing for a radical change in aproach to Syria. They will need Turkey for that. And Im sure, Erdogan & Turkey will drive hard bargain even if such policy change is in favor of turkish ambitions - you will ask for a lot more then "yestarday".

Re Russia, there will not be a new "reset", Putin went to far and this advanture with hacking of Democratic Party and shillin for Trump will not go w/o serious response from Clinton admin apart from its invasion of Ukraine and other things. You can bet on it. And for that Us will need Turkey also.

Term "eternal enemy" is I think a to strong and a bit archaic. I would use term "natural adversaries".

As for US/Western-Turkey relations... I would argue that things are not the same for some time now: What I mean by that, days of Turkey bending over to almost any US/western demand are over. And thats is the real problem, this focus on Erdogan is BS.... I Erdogan was an western sweethaert for years, until Turkey started carving its own independent policies and started making inroads to what was for almost for 100 years considered "western exclusive" zones of influence. Then suddanly labels came; sultan, Neo- ottomanisam, islamism etc... Thats the real issue. But by singling Erdogan they are doing it for two reasons; playing existing polarisation between so called secularist and so called islamist, and with that they are deflecting attention on d real issue of their enenemity towards Turkey. Erdogan isnt a problem, ambitous Turkey with potential of becoming the real independent regional force is.

Does anyone think France is happy of prospect of Turkish influence in North Africa for exmpl (bases in Somalia, Marocco, etc). They know very well that their reputaion there is a colonialist one, while Turkish/Ottoman is very different - Somalis remember who came to their aid in fending of 2 colonial attack, maroccans remember ottoman voloniers fighting along side them in a war for independence etc
Do you have any idea how pissed the euros are about THY and the upcoming airport? I know many idiots on TV love to use this example but the fact is that it's true. They can't even stand that we have one of the best airlines and will have the largest airport in Europe. It used to annoy me now it just makes me laugh

Do you have any idea how pissed the euros are about THY and the upcoming airport? I know many idiots on TV love to use this example but the fact is that it's true. They can't even stand that we have one of the best airlines and will have the largest airport in Europe. It used to annoy me now it just makes me laugh

Im sure they were.

I can point one exmpl on this topic from Bosnia. Turkey in recent years ramped up its diplomatic, economic and other outreach to Bosnia and the region. President Erdogan and former PM Davotouglu visited Bosnia for several times.
Almost on que, anti-erdogan/turkish propaganda started circulating in some of our media - common link is those figuers are known to be close to some EU org and think-tanks, also some politicans notably former communist and their echo chamber joined the effort. They were trying to discredit Turkeys good intentions, opening turkish Ziraat bank, even the credit line which was aimed to help small businesses. It was atempt to rinder pro-turkish sentiment which is very much still dominant with Bosniaks and whit it renewal of turkish influence in Bosnia (and the region) - even after 60 years of anti-turkish/ottoman propaganda esspecially aimed at bosniak/muslim population.

I don't expect much change from Clinton or Trump when it comes to Turkey
Obviously:

"So far, however, Turkey has been more focused on the Kurds than on countering ISIS.", "As difficult as it may be, we need to get Turkey to stop bombing Kurdish fighters in Syria who are battling ISIS, and become a full partner in our coalition efforts against ISIS.", "We should not stop pressing until Turkey, where most foreign fighters cross into Syria, finally locks down its border."

Transcript: Read Hillary Clinton’s Speech on Fighting ISIS

She may have said that, but i wouldn't hold my breath over her words. The US is recklessly pursuing its own agenda in Syria without any consideration for our interests. There won't be any bargaining with the US regarding pyd since the US clearly has a plan on the pyd. lol, US warned Assad to stop bombing pyd around Hasaka, that should say enough that the US will not allow others to touch pyd. I don't see Clinton alter US' policies, no matter what she currently says.

I find 'natural adversaries' to be a tad too strong. If we want to be truly independent, our govt should go for its interests and bargain with other countries. We may have differences with Russia, but by 'giving and taking' we can maybe solve our differences, at least that is what rational countries do instead of "but, they are our historical archenemies!". Of course our govt should be wary, but gradually more co-operation should come with Russia (and other countries), because obviously keeping ourselves mainly dependent on the US and EU, who ironically don't want an independent and strong Turkey, just does not make sense.

You're spot on about Turkey and the West's intentions regarding Turkey.

She may have said that, but i wouldn't hold my breath over her words. The US is recklessly pursuing its own agenda in Syria without any consideration for our interests. There won't be any bargaining with the US regarding pyd since the US clearly has a plan on the pyd. lol, US warned Assad to stop bombing pyd around Hasaka, that should say enough that the US will not allow others to touch pyd. I don't see Clinton alter US' policies, no matter what she currently says.

I find 'natural adversaries' to be a tad too strong. If we want to be truly independent, our govt should go for its interests and bargain with other countries. We may have differences with Russia, but by 'giving and taking' we can maybe solve our differences, at least that is what rational countries do instead of "but, they are our historical archenemies!". Of course our govt should be wary, but gradually more co-operation should come with Russia (and other countries), because obviously keeping ourselves mainly dependent on the US and EU, who ironically don't want an independent and strong Turkey, just does not make sense.

You're spot on about Turkey and the West's intentions regarding Turkey.
With the PYD they are creating a new Taliban...except this time it's Damascus, Ankara and Tehran that will have to deal with them. Sad state of affairs

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37146531

Erdo should probably consider working with Arab neighbors instead of supporting Kurds, it's the only way to contain them.
If our Arab neighbours could actually fully establish "devlet" in every cm2 of their countries then yes sure...other than that we are forced to work with what we have (Barzani in N. Iraq) and opposition Arab/Turkmen fighters in N. Syria

Back
Top Bottom