What's new

The day when 4 colonels and 7000 men surrendered to half a battalion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, guys...please don't flame. Appreciate it for its history and the sacrifices made by both sides.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

This is a defense forum is it not? The article above is the account of an Indian military officer. Your classification of "troll" needs review.

ve talked to a POW of 1971..... According to him the above mentioned article is nothing more than piece of sh*t.... Regards

ve talked to a POW of 1971..... According to him the above mentioned article is nothing more than piece of sh*t.... Regards

Sir, you are free to post an account of the event from your side if you wish. In-fact, it would be very much appreciated.

and we have talked to the people who took that POW as prisoner:taz:......he disagrees with u.....

Talked or not..
90000 troops surrendered when they could have put up an effective defense if properly utilized.
sadly.. the general in charge was more interesting in copulating with multiple women than fighting a war.
In the end, PA troops had no friends.. not even their own superiors.

What happened after that is another shameful blot on the PA's record.. and on Pakistan.
Troops and nations are only as effective as those leading them, India was led better in 71.. and that is that.

thank god atleast one pakistani accepts the figure of 90000.......i am tired of seeing so many of your delusional compatriots...

the figure is irrelevant now.. the surrender is not.

Talked or not..
90000 troops surrendered when they could have put up an effective defense if properly utilized.
sadly.. the general in charge was more interesting in copulating with multiple women than fighting a war.

What happened after that is another shameful blot on the PA's record.. and on Pakistan.
Troops and nations are only as effective as those leading them, India was led better in 71.. and that is that.

Why did they even consider surrender? Going by the account i posted, the pakistani troops were quantitatively and qualitatively superior to the 'half-battalion' of Indian troops. Would this be a case of "bad intelligence reports" ? Sorry if i come across as an amateur....its because I AM an amateur.

Talked or not..

90,000 against 10 lakh enemy force (indian army+mukti bahini+bengali rebels of pakistan army)

North, east, west surrounded by enemy and indian navy in the south.

Fighting a war from over 6 months tired and injured.

In my opinion our performance was OK.

Why did they even consider surrender? Going by the account i posted, the pakistani troops were quantitatively and qualitatively superior to the 'half-battalion' of Indian troops. Would this be a case of "bad intelligence reports" ? Sorry if i come across as an amateur....its because I AM an amateur.

The surrender came from the top..
First Yahya Khan got cold feet.. and never launched the counter attack that was supposed to come under Tikka Khan(for which the PAF was holding back)..then he decided it was not worth it to try and work a compromise later on(as per reports of his Crony Niazi in Dhaka)..
Moreover.. the polish sponsored ceasefire that bhutto so dramatically tore up in the UN might have even saved the situation.. if anything allowed the troops to come back without being taken prisoner. But the leadership was all confused.
Yahya wanted to keep his seat till the last minute , Bhutto wanted premiership.. and Mujib was now leading an emotionally charged people that wanted blood.

Niazi had failed in utilizing his troops to defend Dhaka and found no other option than to cry crocodile tears and surrender.
He went back.. romped with more women while drunk.. and left his troops to suffer the humiliation of putting their arms down.
There were many cases in the east where men refused to stop fighting till their CO's forced them.. the disillusionment they suffered cannot be put into words.
Many in west Pakistan did not believe what had happened, they had been fed the "fight for a 1000 years".. some died of shock.
its a chapter that cannot be forgotten, cannot be just explained away by Pakistanis..
just mourned.

only thing i can contribute here is to post & to do this

SELF DELETE

& everyone knows the reason why??????? for this color

images

LaughingCatAnimated.gif

only thing i can contribute here is to post & to do this

SELF DELETE

& everyone knows the reason why??????? for this color

images

LaughingCatAnimated.gif

Your signature. :D

"Pakistaniyoin tum doodh mango gey ,toh hum tumhe kheer denge
lekin agar tum kashmir mango gey ,toh hum tumhe cheer denge
"

Dr. sahab kashmir de do!!! :P

God had nothing to do with the 71 war.. it was not a battle of good vs evil..
No side taking there..

i agree

India's victory was result of extremely well planned BL and exploitation of Chinese weakness by Sam Manekshaw, bravery of Indian forces

Indira Gandhi was keen to start BL but Manekshaw told her to wait

Manekshaw was waiting for winter

he knew that in winter china couldn't help Pakistan ( close down of Himalayan passes )

he also knew that in winter climate in BD will be good for military operation

P.S> i have met a soldier who served in 1971

The surrender came from the top..
First Yahya Khan got cold feet.. and never launched the counter attack that was supposed to come under Tikka Khan(for which the PAF was holding back)..then he decided it was not worth it to try and work a compromise later on(as per reports of his Crony Niazi in Dhaka)..
Moreover.. the polish sponsored ceasefire that bhutto so dramatically tore up in the UN might have even saved the situation.. if anything allowed the troops to come back without being taken prisoner. But the leadership was all confused.
Yahya wanted to keep his seat till the last minute , Bhutto wanted premiership.. and Mujib was now leading an emotionally charged people that wanted blood.

Niazi had failed in utilizing his troops to defend Dhaka and found no other option than to cry crocodile tears and surrender.
He went back.. romped with more women while drunk.. and left his troops to suffer the humiliation of putting their arms down.
There were many cases in the east where men refused to stop fighting till their CO's forced them.. the disillusionment they suffered cannot be put into words.
Many in west Pakistan did not believe what had happened, they had been fed the "fight for a 1000 years".. some died of shock.
its a chapter that cannot be forgotten, cannot be just explained away by Pakistanis..
just mourned.

Niazi had failed in utilizing his troops to
defend Dhaka and found no other option
than to cry crocodile tears and surrender.
He went back.. romped with more women
while drunk.. and left his troops to suffer
the humiliation of putting their arms
down.

Sorry but for your opinion. How many women raped during that whole 9 months of wars( i really want hear from a pakistani)?

Leg end of Sylhet
It was the last day of the war, December 16, when Dhaka fell, and Cardozo couldn't be evacuated. “We had captured some Pakistanis and an ambulance. I was operated upon by a Major Mohammad Bashir. He did a very good job. I have never been able to thank him.”

The Week | Leg end of Sylhet

This is really the best part of the whole incident. War is a funny business, apart from being hell of course.
And mines caused some of the most horrifying injuries in that particular conflict. The Eastern theater (now Bangladesh) was literally peppered with mines. That was the only method that the PA could use there in order to somehow prolong their resistance. And innumerable casualties fell to those mines, mostly the enthusiastic young men of the Mukti Bahini and assorted other civilians. Many of them were rendered paraplegic and quadriplegic. And were treated eventually at the MH Kirkee and the adjacent Artificial Limb Center (ALC). That is where prostheses (artificial limbs) were fitted to them. There were two whole wards filled with late-teen Bangladeshi youth. Miles away from homes, my mother came to know of them and marshalled a whole troop of local ladies (nearly all of whom did not know a word of Bengali) knocked the doors of Bengalis in the city and collected all the Bengali books and magazines that could be found and kept carting them there. While this assorted motley crew of women cooked at home and took it for the people that they had begun to call "our boys". And the feeling was more than reciprocated by the group of "our boys". So much so that the real biological sons that we were; had some reason(!) to even feel a twinge of a little jealousy. Time passed and that band of scarcely grown out of boyhood "men". got shipped back to Bangladesh and began life anew in a country that they helped to create. The injuries and pain became just a punctuation mark. But all concerned, were left with memories that they could treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom