What's new

The common capital of India and Pakistan

That is not very important. The importance of cultural similarity in this particular case has been exaggerated. You don't need to have similar culture to befriend someone, the important part is whether or not you like how the other person thinks. That is where Indians and Pakistanis have become different.

ya,you can be culturally different and still can be friendly with each other like how we indians are.They say there are seven wonders in the world but there is eighth:india

After 9/11 those Pakistani posed as Indians would have stuck out like a sore thumb, this is just fabricated stuff, if i told someone am an India the must be blind to believe me.

hehe.u r saying that bcoz u are a fair pashtun,ain't you?? about two-thirds of pak people live in punjab and sindh,and they have the skin colour,looks etc to look like an indian.. and m sure you can count atleast 10% more pakistanis in the other provinces who can look like an indian..
yes,ppl from P0K,KPK,FATA will stick out a sore thumb,but the same will happen with indian kashmiris,himachalis etc and they will be deemed too fair to be an indian..

and the people from our north east will look more chinese than indian(no offence)...

but the fact is majority of pakistanis can look indian..

hehe.u r saying that bcoz u are a fair pashtun,ain't you?? about two-thirds of pak people live in punjab and sindh,and they have the skin colour,looks etc to look like an indian.. and m sure you can count atleast 10% more pakistanis in the other provinces who can look like an indian..
yes,ppl from P0K,KPK,FATA will stick out a sore thumb,but the same will happen with indian kashmiris,himachalis etc and they will be deemed too fair to be an indian..

and the people from our north east will look more chinese than indian(no offence)...

but the fact is majority of pakistanis can look indian..

Yeah Pakistani look like those from Tamil nadu dont they?, exactly same skin colour and yup they will pass for each other.

There is an english word for it.. yeah like urdu and hindi... its called 'similar'... :) .. not 'same'.. worth repeating though.

Indeed they are Similar in many regards but those who have a penchant of painting us with the same brush seem to forget that our dissimilarities are many & profound as well ! What is more Post-Partition Culture has let us evolve further into an even more unique identity.

We - in Pakistan - are a country & a people at the cross roads of civilization & history - Naturally there would be similarities but to claim that somehow that gives us a common footing simply because someone in Lahore might like to sing the same Punjabi song as someone in Amristar is a grave injustice to those Pakistanis living in Sindh, Baluchistan, Northern Punjab, Gilgit-Baltistan, KPK & FATA who wouldn't know how to pronounce Punjabi to begin with !

I mean take my example - I'm a Punjabi of Kashmiri descent but I don't know the first thing about Kashmiri culture or my ancestral tongue nor am I well versed in the Punjabi Language ! Urdu is my mother tongue & yet I feel like an outsider when I'm amongst Sikhs, Kashmiris from either side or even Urdu Speakers from Karachi or the ones from India !

And why ? Because my Cultural & Linguistic Development is unique in that my accent of speaking Urdu is Punjabi in its bearing & my accent of speaking Punjabi is Urdu in its bearing ! Culturally whereas I prescribe to the Punjabi Culture, mine like the difference between Urdu & Hindi has indelible marks left by Islam, my cultural proximity with Pukhtoons, Kashmiris, Saraikis & even Baluch & Sindhis to have evolved different from the one prescribed to by the Punjabis in Indian Punjab !

So I don't really feel like I'm a part of an overarching fraternity called the 'Desis' simply because I might crack a few Punjabi jokes or quote Baba Bulleh Shah in my broken Punjabi with its heavily Urduized Accent !

And I say this without an ounce of ill-will or resentment on being compared with an India ! But what people need to realize is that Punjabi Muslims & Punjabi Pakistanis are a unique ethnic & linguistic group because we always were a bit different than our Non-Muslim Punjab Counterparts due to Islam & the closer proximity of West Punjab with KPK, Sindh & Baluchistan & because ever since the Partition the Pakistani bit of it has changed it even more ! You will find our Punjabi to be riddled with Urdu vocabulary & us sharing more in common with the Pukhtoons, the Sindhis, the Saraikis & the Baluch in our dietary habits & some of our cultural practices than we do with Punjabis from India !

Take the example of our language - None of uses Gurmukhi here & our Punjabi is heavily influenced by other languages especially by Urdu to such an extent that we use them interchangeably in such a way that most of the time we're not even able to tell whether a particular word has come from Urdu or whether it came from Punjabi ! In fact we've even created words ourselves through the mingling of Urdu & Punjabi that you'd not hear anywhere else....words that have more than once been at the receiving end of the criticism of those who pride themselves on speaking prim & proper Urdu.

Take another example - No one celebrates Besaki or whatever its called over here ! Even the Sufistic Traditions in Punjab have drawn more from Sindh & the Saraiki belt than from Eastern-Punjab.

No soft image, afgans will eagerly watch (am sure they do) any pakistani program whether they like you or not. Because there is something in common there again (sorry afgans for comparing you with dalkhors )

Not quite ! Like I said the Indian Influence is blown vastly out of proportion. In the North they listen to Persian music, movies & folklore whilst in the South it mostly Pashto. I would imagine that most of the Bollywood Influence traveled from Pakistan with the Afghan Refugees.

Oh, and did I also mention that the commonality/similarity decreases as you go away from wagha border on both sides ..so much so that.......

Indeed it does ! So its better to say that parts of North-Western India & parts of Pakistani Punjab have things in common because the rest don't !

And this is precisely the reason why I consider such sweeping statements like 'We're the same people with the same culture' that often draw a frown from me !

theek hai bhai,you win

No seriously Pakistani look same as those from Tamil nadu and Bengal etc, Europeans can't tell the difference as they can pass for each other, i can post pictures to show you their exact match if you like.

I will leave India and settle in Africa even if I get a slightest hint of this nonsense happening . :hang2:

Oi @hinduguy - Apneiii @Secur Bhai bhi makes fund of my Urdu Accent ! :cray:

Khud tou Urdu aiseiii bolteiii hain jaisss inn ki vocal cords are a cross between Altaf Bhai, Anwar Maqsood & Farooq Sattar ! :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
No seriously Pakistani look same as those from Tamil nadu and Bengal etc, Europeans can't tell the difference as they can pass for each other, i can post pictures to show you their exact match if you like.

not all tamils are black.majority of indians and pakistanis can pass as each other.we have discussed it innumerable times

Going back to your ancestral home?

our ancestral home is pakistan.your ancestral home might be some turkey or arabia.you yourself claimed tht once

not all tamils are black.majority of indians and pakistanis can pass as each other.we have discussed it innumerable times

95 percent of Indians are dravidians so how can majority of them pass as Pakistanis?,it doesn't make sense, post some pics of dravidians and then Pakistani punjabis and tell me if they can pass for one another.

95 percent of Indians are dravidians so how can majority of them pass as Pakistanis?,it doesn't make sense, post some pics of dravidians and then Pakistani punjabis and tell me if they can paid for one another.

What are you??/ Some wannabe white????

I have worked with many Pakistanis and they look exactly like North Indians. You think you are some Arabs / Persians?

And even if you think so, as if it is something to be proud of.

Oi @hinduguy - Apneiii @Secur Bhai bhi makes fund of my Urdu Accent ! :cray:

Khud tou Urdu aiseiii bolteiii hain jaisss inn ki vocal cords are a cross between Altaf Bhai, Anwar Maqsood & Farooq Sattar ! :whistle:

I never remember ever doing it . :what: Even more I am used to different Urdu accents here in Karachi , why do you think the city is referred to as the ' Mini Pakistan ' :D

A cold and serious voice somehow ? :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom