What's new

The 'clean-up' of Empress Market doesn't have to be this way

So you buy shop legally in center of Karachi or any other city. Some land grabber open his own in front of that or near by in government land/road. Not only that is illegal land grab but it also put legal owners out of business. To the point that doing legal business become prohibitive.

Stop playing poor card already.

Alright I think I need to clarify. In Punjab, where there is a PTI government, I supported the initiative. I knew they will look after the poor. Case in point, the dumb stallkeeper whose plight was highlighted in the media.

But then, the Bani Gala case came up, AND the operation in Karachi is bring run by Waseem Akhtar. I think Imran Khan has lost the moral upper ground now. Everyone saying people can just grab government land and then make demands, well that is essentially what Imran Khan has also done.

And secondly, I have no trust in Waseem Akhtar.

@Oscar @Dubious @Thorough Pro @Kabira and everyone else

Last edited:
so you would rather prefer disease spreading filthy people selling food stuffs from dangerous structures as well selling foods right from the floor of the pavement and road

5bee9fa3df6d5.jpg

No normal person in their right mind will buy anything from these people sat squatting in all that trash

That is a picture of absolute wretched poverty. People who struggle to stay alive day to day cannot care about hygiene. And you know what? If you found yourself out on the streets with absolutely no where to turn to, you will be eating from garbage bins yourself. Fact.

May Allah Protect everyone from trials and tribulations in this world and the hereafter. Aameen.

Alright I think I need to clarify. In Punjab, where there is a PTI government, I supported the initiative. I knew they will look after the poor. Case in point, the dumb stallkeeper whose plight was highlighted in the media.

But then, the Bank Gala case came up, AND the operation in Karachi is bring run by Waseem Akhtar. I think Imran Khan has lost the moral upper ground now. Everyone saying people can just grab government land and then make demands, well that is essentially what Imran Khan has also done.

And secondly, I have no trust in Waseem Akhtar.

@Oscar @Dubious @Thorough Pro @Kabira and everyone else

This have little to do with Imran Khan anyway. All being done on orders from SC.

This have little to do with Imran Khan anyway. All being done on orders from SC.

Then the Supreme Court has lost moral legitimacy as well.

In my youth and much of my adulthood, I done survived on scavenging/foraging for short periods over many years out of necessity but never broke any rules/laws or tried to spread plagues like these people are trying to do.

good hygiene is absolutely the first prime rule for survival, poverty is no excuse

Oh no. You have NOT been subjected to abject wretched poverty. Stop judging people when you cannot empathise.

Last edited:
I think in future govt will kill all poors and claim poverty is ended in Pakistan as it is easy way to eliminate poors from Pakistan without doing much hardwork

these Shops has to go, enough of them acting like Gangster and Mafia .. they can't hide behind the shade of poverty , they paying 100 rupee bhatta per stall .. there were many Afghans , we should send them back , along with those Tribals who bring them to Karachi in the first place .

This operation was carried out on the orders of the Supreme Court by mayor Waseem Akhtar. The PTI leadership has not made any statements in support of this operation, but it has not expressed any concern about the people affected, or about the way it was done.

This is unfortunate. Because, even though I agree that the encroachments had to be cleared, the way it has been done is irresponsible. I was shocked to hear Waseem Akhtar announcing that they will form a committee and discuss the relocation of the tenants. This should have been done before the shops were removed, not after.

I am sad for poor shopkeepers because i my also not rich but we have to draw line.
People should think before they build they lively hood illegally on gov property.
now Gov and SC should take same action against bahria town maleer.they should not take money and leave it as is because people already invested in it or already built the houses.

Go fight in the court crusader!

May the one on the right path win!
Its not about a moral crusade its about taking care of poor citizens, the administration should have alloted a new empty area to these shop keepers and charged rent from them there before demolishong these shops, this will reduce IKs votes and specially those poor shopkeeper families usually depend on daily or weekly earnings, what will happen to them now? This will reduce IKs votes in karachi too, its bad policy and politics as well. We must as a nation awaken to the prospect of better management of problems. Solving one problem by creating another is not the way to go. Yes these enroachments needed to go, no one shld doubt IK on that but not like this.

Its not about a moral crusade its about taking care of poor citizens, the administration should have alloted a new empty area to these shop keepers and charged rent from them there before demolishong these shops, this will reduce IKs votes and specially those poor shopkeeper families usually depend on daily or weekly earnings, what will happen to them now?
And they would have easily given rent when they fail to clear the area as per order of court?

I agree it could have been better....but it is the first time such a thing is happening, mistakes are inevitable
This will reduce IKs votes in karachi too, its bad policy and politics as well. We must as a nation awaken to the prospect of better management of problems. Solving one problem by creating another is not the way to go. Yes these enroachments needed to go, no one shld doubt IK on that but not like this.
About votes, not even sure where or whom these people voted for.....

Everyone saying people can just grab government land and then make demands, well that is essentially what Imran Khan has also done.
And if the court asks him to clear within a day he will have to go too....

We are talking about court order right now....When it comes on Bani Gala IK will have to go...so it is not comparable!

This should not be the first priority of any govt, there are a lot more things needed in Karachi before this
Yes but in order to develop a city they need to know where the city is...Right now it is a mess, crowded and buried!

Well, I did schooling in St. Patrick's school which is right next to Empress Market.
All my childhood I witnessed Police trying to do something about encroachments. It used to get clean for a week or so and then back to normal. We used to love those 1 week long open streets/roads.
Anyway, I haven't been to Saddar lately but judging by the pics, it's something big. Much bigger than previous clean up operation when they cleared the roads off encroachment around a decade ago. I hope it's gets better and cleaner.

Yes but in order to develop a city they need to know where the city is...Right now it is a mess, crowded and buried!

how many jobs created before 2000 families' livelihood taken away, as per Imran berozgari fuel terrorism

Back
Top Bottom