What's new

The 'clean-up' of Empress Market doesn't have to be this way

When I visit Pakistan one of the most visual display that I have arrived in a third world country is the fact that all roads are literally almost blocked by the spill of vendors or establishments on to the road.
You dont need to see that in 3rd world country...I have seen that in East London :unsure:
Pavements are practically non existent, if they existed they have long been occupied by vendors or the adjoining shops have just seized them and now are inching on to the road.
Yea they are an eye sore....WAPDA poles in the middle of nowhere have supported the trend...the HUGE WAPDA poles constructed without planning have taken up spaces where roads cant be built and people dont use the footpath much or cant due to these vendors

Agreed to the rest!

Karachi anti-encroachment drive: People whose shops were demolished will be allotted space in Parking Plaza
November 16, 2018

Empress.jpg

As many as 150 shopkeepers, whose shops were razed during an anti-encroachment operation around Karachi’s Empress Market, will be given shops in Saddar’s Parking Plaza in the first phase.

The shopkeepers will be given shops in three phases, Karachi Mayor Waseem Akhtar and Commissioner Iftikhar Ahmed Shalwani decided on Friday. They will get place in nearest KMC markets in the second phase. The government will give shopkeepers land to build shops in the third phase.

The authorities have also decided to remove encroachments from drains, footpaths, parks, and roundabouts.

An anti-encroachment operation will soon be launched in areas around MA Jinnah Road, Aram Bagh, Jama Cloth Market, Khori Garde, and Lee Market.

Later, the mayor and the commissioner visited the Parking Plaza.

Akhtar said that the local government will soon start cleaning work in the Parking Plaza.

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2018/11/k...-allotted-space-in-parking-plaza-kmc-markets/

you're
When I visit Pakistan one of the most visual display that I have arrived in a third world country is the fact that all roads are literally almost blocked by the spill of vendors or establishments on to the road. Pavements are practically non existent, if they existed they have long been occupied by vendors or the adjoining shops have just seized them and now are inching on to the road. This presents a scence of choas, overcrowded madness with extreme effects on a polluted environment. There are countries with far higher density and populations like Belguim or China but they don't suffer from this problem. The reason of course for this is the encroachment. It needs a stern action and even stronger enforcement.

Does anyone realize there isn't enough space to legally accommodate all these poor people setting up shops on encroachments? It is tyranny to brush the poor aside so you can view the world through rose-tinted glasses. The promises of alternate arrangements are impractical.

You get rid of enrochaments on roads and Pakistani cities will start to look half decent and not like typical Indian shanty towns. Most shopkeepers are not poor by Pakistani standard, they are likely richer then average Pakistani if not filthy rich.

The only incontrovertible law that should be observed for the hereafter is the law of Shariah. Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'aala did not explicitly order whether there should be encroachments around Empress Market or not. So we need to look with justice at the situation.
Yes, but ALLAH also said dont get greedy, dont take other people's haq, dont make other people's lives miserable, dont be a pain....Forgotten these?

So answer this: where should these poor people go? Every space belongs to the government. Should they put up their stalls outside the city limits?
Can you read or do you choose not to?

As many as 150 shopkeepers, whose shops were razed during an anti-encroachment operation around Karachi’s Empress Market, will be given shops in Saddar’s Parking Plaza in the first phase.
Utterly baseless insinuations when you don't even know me. I have never been in favor of PPP/PML.
I didnt say you were in favour of those...But you didnt actually go all holy on them and their doings now did you?

Secondly, you are no religious scholar to label this haram.
So stealing is not haram? Taking someone's haq is halal?

These shop keepers are some of the poorest of society. In extreme poverty, even begging is allowed. These people found a way to earn by following the guidance of KMC. If you read what you posted, Waseem Akhtar is admitting that previous agreements are cancelled. The mayor is acknowledging there was an agreement. So how can you call their earning haram?
There was an agreement now it is cancelled...anything against that is haram now since agreement is cancelled...

If you care to read the original articles, they are saying that demolishing started before they expected. So on the one hand you have their word, on the other hand Waseem Akhtar's word. So what's so special about Waseem Akhter?
Kindly point that part

So what's so special about Waseem Akhter?
Who said he is special...He is the mayor!
Nisar Sahab isnt special but he is CJP!

I am not sure what specialty you are looking for?

He can't get away with following orders from London, but he sure can get away with misrepresentation. After all, it's his word against theirs.
who them?

What orders from LONDON? Kindly stick to the thread please!

It had to be done and could have been done better; but knowing the attitude of local officials and political interference for corruption purpose, this was the only way.

To what end? What do we achieve from this? Aesthetic pleasure? How about he concentrates on job creation and education. These encroachments will go away by themselves.

Does anyone realize there isn't enough space to legally accommodate all these poor people setting up shops on encroachments? It is tyranny to brush the poor aside so you can view the world through rose-tinted glasses. The promises of alternate arrangements are impractical.
If you are so worried, can you suggest something?

First grab land illegally and then demand alternative land when that land is taken back. wow Only in Pakistan.

Kindly point that part

'Economic genocide'
Amjad (all names have been changed) had a kite and accessories shop along the backyard of the Empress Market. He had been paying rent to the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) since 1988.

He told me that shopkeepers were confident they would be given enough time to pack their goods and dismantle the fixtures.

But he got no clear answer from KMC officials, the ones who used to come collect the rent. Contrary to official line, the ‘clean-up’ began without any prior notice, during the dead of the night.

Did you actually read the OP?

First grab land illegally and then demand alternative land when that land is taken back. wow Only in Pakistan.

This is a case of a sea of humanity bursting through the seams of demarcations made 50 years ago.

If you are so worried, can you suggest something?

Yes. Three point agenda. Corruption of the filthy rich. Export. Education. Maintain status quo on everything else.

I believe Imran Khan has lost moral legitimacy for the encroachment campaign when irregularities are found in his own home. The hypocrisy of taking away livelihood from the poor while regularizing his own residence by payment of a fee is stark. As Mr. Aasim says, encroach if rich. At the very least, these poor people should also be given the option of regularizing their businesses, or alternates must be provided.

Using ladies and kids to take control of properties illegally is the oldest trick in land mafia books nothing new. Most of these people are working for the minister or some other higher up and once they take control good luck.

I believe the bleeding hearts should put their money where their mouth is starting with you @CriticalThought how much have you personally donated to these people. If not, start a go fund me campaign and put up your own money first at least a million plus. Then start another campaign to compensate the actual land owners for their loss

Using ladies and kids to take control of properties illegally is the oldest trick in land mafia books nothing new. Most of these people are working for the minister or some other higher up and once they take control good luck.

I believe the bleeding hearts should put their money where their mouth is starting with you @CriticalThought how much have you personally donated to these people. If not, start a go fund me campaign and put up your own money first at least a million plus. Then start another campaign to compensate the actual land owners for their loss

This is an issue of misgovernance and misplaced priorities.

No offence but which iteration of Sharia?

Ridiculous question. There is no such thing as 'iteration of Sharia'.

Yes. Three point agenda. Corruption of the filthy rich. Export. Education. Maintain status quo on everything else
So you think 70 yrs of destruction can be solved in 100 days? :unsure:

Everything takes time but impatient people need to see results or else they come on the streets!

As for anti encroachment
Did you actually read the OP?
Yes I did, I told you to please point it out

Differant schools of thought. Just to name the major ones -
  • Hanafi
  • Maliki
  • Shafi
  • Hanbali
  • Jafari
  • Etc
I am sure such a learned bloke like yourself knew this right?

Well I was surprised such a man as yourself used the term 'iteration' for 'school of thought'. But since rules and regulations are so dear to you, I am burdened with the task of informing you that this is off-topic. Please ask the question on a relevant thread. Thank you.

So you think 70 yrs of destruction can be solved in 100 days? :unsure:

Everything takes time but impatient people need to see results or else they come on the streets!

As for anti encroachment

Yes I did, I told you to please point it out

And I pointed it out already.

This is an issue of misgovernance and misplaced priorities.

Ok, please tell me how do you restore investors confidence in Pakistan, Karachi being the financial capital of the country?

When he take action against the land mafia its misgovernance (bad governance). when he didn't shoot the protesting religious baboons, he is weak,No winning with you guys is there

Back
Top Bottom