What's new

The 5 Most Deadly Navies in Asia

I think outside the US, Japan and Australia, there aren't many people that really get the size, scope and nature of the Pacific naval war in WWII. Started out reasonably even, but by the end, IJN had been reduced to a punching bag.

We talk about carrier construction sometimes - during the war, the US produced 27 aircraft carriers in the 30,000 ton class, in addition to producing 211 subs, 349 destroyers, 48 cruisers, 10 battleships, 100+ lighter carriers, and ~80,000 landing craft. Numbers vary a bit by source, but pretty impressive. There were some qualitative advantages by the end, but mostly Japan lost due to being wildly outproduced.

No one anywhere builds like that now.

No one needs to build at that scale any more. :tup:

There are no more open wars between the great powers.

Though of course having a large industrial base is never a bad thing, and China/America/Japan still have the largest manufacturing bases in the world.

The reason i believe India and Russia is not included is that their power in the area most pertinent to the article ie the Pacific rim is not as high as the mentioned countries. This does not mean they are weaker than the countries included in the list.

Wow, you have been gone for a long time!

The Formidables for one.

Well if you wanna look at frigates of equal class as the Formidables then compare them with the IN's Godavari and Brahmaputra Class frigates.
IN has the better 6000tn Shivalik Class frigates and then the destroyers Delhi and Kolkata classes.
And then there's the comprehensive naval air arm.

We conquered French Indochina in 5 days, the Symbol of British Power (Singapore) collapses to is in 7 days. The Dutch , we eviscerated as well. The force that drained our resources were the Americans. It was the US Navy that broke the Imperial Navy. Thus I have utmost respect for their adaptive ability and capability.

JMSDF --- we only really fear one power --- the USN.

Even the PLAN -- we do not fear them as much as the USN.

USN is a giant having 11 CBG and around 1000+ most modern naval aviation systems.Except that Pacific fleet in USSR times none came anywhere nearer to the USN.

And what was his post about ? indian supa powa?

You ?

Read those posts again then spend sometime to warm up your brain.At least you can avoid ridiculous comments.

USN is a giant having 11 CBG and around 1000+ most modern naval aviation systems.Except that Pacific fleet in USSR times none came anywhere nearer to the USN.

Read those posts again then spend sometime to warm up your brain.At least you can avoid ridiculous comments.

Please fart away into glory..

USN in Asia? Is my geography wrong? Where are us? The great billegerents of Asia? :D
Welcome back mate How are you ? As for this thread I agree with the ratings but I think South Korea should be above Singapore

How come India navy and Russia navy is not in the list?
Are these 2 navies less powerful than Singapore?

I see earlier explanation about criterion, like interoperability or something else.
I think it is an invalid criterion. For the only propose of navies are to win the war.
Therefore, the only criterion that should be judged is their ability to win a war.

The best criterion to win the war is the aggression war: The invasion to other countries on the list and won.
The 2nd best criterion is to win the defensive war: Defend your country's coast from invaders, defend and survive naval invasion.

Only these 2 criterion counts. The rest -x-x-ability is bull shit.
----------------

About US being in Asia because she is in Guam
Then French also have colonies in Pacific.
Are Pacific islands near Indonesia and New Zealand Asia's?
Is Guam in Asia?
What is exact definition of Asia? Is turkey in Asia?
Russia and India _is_ in Asia. How can one just use American civilian terms of Asia being east&S.E Asia?
The article of this type must know that Asia means the Asia continent that includes Siberia, India, Arabs, Turkey, etc.
Or else, the ariticle must define exactly the boundary of Asia, eg. The Asiatic Continental Plate with defined plate ridges.
---------------

My onlyt inference is that the article's main idea is that "US is in Asia, full stop"
I rate it as junk article. Shame on Author.

Before we begin, I'll give my ranking.

1. USN
2. JSDF
3. PLAN
4. ROKN
5. IN

This discussion of whether US is a pacific power? As a country, not an Asian power, to me, but America is a world power, and with the carriers she has in middle east, South Asia, and East Asia, who can really challenge her might. The answer is nobody, in case someone is confused.

The French presence in Asia is negligible and hence it is not on the list, if she positions 100% of her fleet than maybe, but then she better bring tow boats, cause that carrier is not going anywhere without one.

Russia Pacific fleet has been decimated, since the fall of the Soviets, not much has been improved, true she still has nuclear capabilities, but conventionally, not much has changed since the 90s, and Korea, Japan as well as the US all have 10,000 ton AEGIS capable DDGs, with Japan and Korea adding more.

India is strong, but not in the great power category for now. Dehli class is a relic now, come on, just look at it, it's like our type 71 and that was crap when it came out. At most it's about as good as the sovremenny class, and that's not great today.

India has one Kolkata, one, nuclear sub has the capability of carrying 4 long range missiles, yes 4, the smallest Nuke sub by far, and it's not in commission yet, the submarine force in general is well discussed here.

In terms of Subs
1. US, too many SSNs, damn.
2a.Japan, many decommissioned subs that can be called into action if it calls for it and very advanced tech
2b.China, advance submarine tech, and massive numbers, but still needs work to match US and Japan in tech
2c. Russia, still a force to be dealt with here.
3.Korea, Korea, makes its own subs
4.India, here by default, cause the other powers suck here in Asia.

Advanced Frigates, India has 9, and advance corvette, India has 1.

On the other side of the fence, Korea has 3 10,000 ton DDGs, 9 more modern DDGs, making a total of 12, Japan has some 20+ Modern DDGs, with 6 in the 10,000 ton range. Corvettes, Frigates, they both have a good number, giving India no advantage, while a clear advantage in DDGs.

While China has 12 modern DDGs at present, and 20+ each of the 056 and 054.

So here I would put

1. USN (60+ DDGs + 20+ Cruisers, however you slice it, it's a beast.)
2. Japan, obvious advantage, 20 something modern destroyers, with the Chinese 055 not to be in action for at least 3 years, the obvious choice, for now...8-)
3. China
4. Korea
5. India, gave reasons above.

Amphibious assault, China has 3 071, and 3 under construction, to go with Zubar class landing craft, and hundreds of amphibious tanks, Japan has the Helicopter carriers, and so do Korea, while India has maybe one that can't be used unless Pentagon gives it the ok and even then it's a out dated ship.

So for this

1. Japan, due to Heli carriers, and the massive number of them, practicing with US also helps.
2. China, 071, better than even Japan's non helicopter carrier variant.
3a. ROKN
3b. IN, not a big difference between the two, so not going to rank India below it.

US is number one as always.

Carrier operations and air wing.
USN, undisputed number 1, India has the advantage here, with a rich history, experience, and a competent air wing, but it's draw back is the Mig 29, with its small load, and limited size, it's not the beast that the F-18 is, but since no other navy operates any carrier capable fighter yet, so by default it is India.

China's J-15 is a better fighter being that it's bigger, but the carrier limits it's capabilities, and it's not combat ready anyways, Japan and Korea has no current fighters, so....

1. USN
2. IN
The rest, no rank, doesn't have anything here, unless you count Japanese and Korean helicopter carriers, then them 3a and b.

Not going to go any further, this ranking is useless for now because the Chinese, Indian, Korea and Japanese navies are not complete, we lack air power, and bigger ships, India lacks numbers, bigger ships, and submarines, while Japan and Korea lacks air power as well.

So none of us can really operate far from home and be effective. Only the US navy can.

just make a list:D
PLAN:
Aircraft carrier x1
Type 071 amphibious transport dock x3
Sovremennyy-class destroyer x4
Type 052 destroyer x2
Type 051B destroyer x1
Type 051C destroyer x2
Type 052B destroyer x2
Type 052C destroyer x5
Type 052D destroyer x1
Type 054 frigate x2
Type 054A frigate x16
Type 056 corvette x18
Kilo-class submarine x10
Type 039 submarine x13
Type 039Asubmarine x12
091 092 093 094 submarine x10

The Formidables for one.

Come on, that's ridiculous man. There is no way formidable can bested Talwar or Shivalik class even more Kolkata class DDG. India has their own C4ISR system and by any means they have more qualities than Singapore. But yes they must admit the way they managing and running their ships is not good enough and nowhere near Singaporean standards

the IN doesn’t make the cut, despite its heritage, history, two aircraft carriers and imminent commissioning of a nuclear-armed submarine.
Then probably StarTrek's 'Bird of Prey' in the Indian Navy would!

This is a bizarre and stupid comparison.

"5 most powerful navies in Asia." Not "5 most powerful navies of Asian nation!"

:mad::angry::hitwall::pissed:

Seriously? Reading comprehension much? The title of the thread explains why the US is inculded as its navy, via the 7th fleet, has an Asian presence. As for Russia or India, read throughout the thread. Different people have analyzed the situation and provided their opinions and frankly, the opinions of people on PDF carry just as much weight in the world as the author of the OP... None and thus are equally viable viewpoints.

"5 most powerful navies in Asia." Not "5 most powerful navies of Asian nation!"

:mad::angry::hitwall::pissed:

Seriously? Reading comprehension much? The title of the thread explains why the US is inculed as its navy, via the 7th fleet, has an Asian presence. As for Russia or India, read throughout the thread. Different people have analyzed the situation and provided their opinions and frankly, the opinions of people on PDF carry just as much weight in the world as the author of the OP... None and thus are equally viable viewpoints.

you think Russian and Indian navy are weaker then the Navies listed in article in Asia. You call yourself a professional :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom