What's new

Ten Reasons Why Nepal Should Join India

Nepal and India are already united by the way.Just need to accept that officially.

Bro, no harm in officially inviting Nepal into India, IMO its a win-win situation for everyone,especially Nepalese.

–Bibhuti Nepal
My immediate reactions to Mr. Bijay Raut’s proposal that Nepal should join the Indian Union were anger and disgust. I
thought Bijay Raut was a betrayer and a pro-Indian activist. However, after several thoughts, I have reached conclusions
that Mr. Raut has very good points and his hypothesis deserves serious attentions.
Joining India will be unthinkable and unacceptable to any patriotic Nepali. The stories of the alleged Indian attempt of
encroachment of the Nepalese territories are still fresh in our memories. However, let’s now put aside those grievances for
a while and try to focus, analyze and debate objectively on a single question: Should Nepal make effort to gain statehood
in the Indian Union (Like Puerto Rico is attempting to be the USA’s 51th state)? In other words, should Nepal join the
Indian Union?
I know many people have and will argue against this proposal. But let me take this opportunity to argue for the proposal.
In my humble opinion, Nepal should join India for the following major reasons:
1. The purchasing power of the Nepalese consumers will instantly INCREASE by 60% since Indian Rs. 100 will no longer be
Nepalese Rs. 160. IRs. 100 will be equivalent to NRs. 100. The Nepalese consumers will get the Indian goods for at least
60% cheaper value than before while sell their products to Indians at higher than previous values.
2. Since India is our major trading partner (about 2/3 of the total trade are with India), our economy will largely benefit
from the increase in strength of our currency. The current trade deficit will be less painful to our economy then.
3. India is often accused of encroaching not only our land but also our culture, language and values. Now if Nepal
becomes a part of India, what will India encroach? It’s own land!! The culture of both Nepal and India will flourish as
well as assimilate better than now. India, if nothing else, represents a remarkable example of cultural, ethnic and
linguistic assimilation. Furthermore, Nepali is already an official language of India, i.e., Nepali is included in the 8th
Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
4. For Hindus, India is “Mecca” and “Madina.” Non-Hindus — Cheer up! The Secular Indian State won’t marginalize your
religious rights as they have been in the Hindu Kingdom of Nepal.
5. Nepal will be a separate state of India and not a part of U.P., Bihar or West Bengal. This means Nepal can exercise
almost all of her present rights other than the one involving territorial disputes with China or other Indian States, in
which case the Federal Government of India (which in turn is not under control of any dominant group in India, but
headed by the representatives of all states of the Indian Union) will take the charge. Under Indian Constitution, states
are granted vital rights ranging from levying of the taxes to maintaining internal security, as well as deriving own
educational and cultural policies. Nepal should be glad to become a part of the larger body. Any achievement of India will
automatically be the achievement of Nepalis and vice versa.
6. While state leaders of Nepal will work hard to improve the lives of Nepalis, it will be the responsibility of the Federal
government of India to counsel the policies of the states, promulgate federal policies for the whole country, provide the
Nepalese state with frequent funds as well as take the immediate charge of the natural emergencies like flood,
earthquake, etc. The state leaders of Nepal will have better chance of building the Nepalese nation than now, since there
will always be someone at the back for assistance and guidance.
7. The largest natural resource we have is water. Unfortunately, the amount of hydro-electricity generated from it is
minimal. The Arun -III, the multi-billion dollar hydro electricity project, was terminated because The World Bank drew off
its support, primarily due to the lost of the Bank’s faith in the Nepalese government that was characterized by sharp
political instability. The Federal Government of India, with its huge budget and capacity to lure large multinationals and
international lending agencies, can easily get several of such Hydo-Power projects going. This will but benefit Nepal and
Nepalis in large because the electricity will now be sold not only to China but to several other Indian states with very
little hassles.
8. The legendary Gurkha soldiers, who now constitute a significant portion of the Indian Army, are working not for their
motherland but for a foreign land. These Gurkhas, in one sense, are not soldiers but just mercenaries (hired army
motivated by money rather than love for motherland or national glory). If Nepal were to be a part of India, these brave
soldiers would be working for their motherland and their bravery will count as glory and not just paid service.
9. One may argue against the proposal of the unification by saying that India has very little incentive to have Nepal as its
state because India will have to guard hundreds of miles of the Nepal-China frontier, which might suck up its already
strained military and economic resources. This is not true. India has already been guarding the China-Nepal frontier
indirectly. Just imagine when China invades Nepal, do you think India will sit down there and keep watching? Never.
Directly or Indirectly, India has and will have to guard the Nepal-China frontier. In case Nepal becomes a part of India,
India will have to divert little extra of its military resources to the frontier.
10. Finally, I believe, and many of you will agree, that Nepal lacks resources to function as an independent country. About
three quarters of the country’s land is mountainous, and the fertile quarter is over populated and prone to erosion, flood,
and other ecological hazards. Two-third of the population is illiterate while over 40% live below poverty line. The majority
of educated population is unproductive since they are stuck up in the inefficient government services. Natural resource
other than water is rare and tourism sector is on the verge of decline because of the negative ecological impacts as well as
polluted cities. Furthermore, Nepal has one of the highest per capital foreign debt despite she gets large sums of foreign
grants each year. The remittances of the Gurkha soldiers and that of Non-Resident Nepali are not enough to support
economy, and there has been continual migration of Nepali, both seasonal and permanent, to India and other countries in
search of work and other economic opportunities. Nepal definitely needs both
“guidance” and “assistance” of the Federal Government to boost up its economy and maximize the utility of her limited
resources. Only unification with India will bestow Nepal with such power and opportunity.
Please feel free to agree/disagree with my comments.
namaste, Bibhuti Nepal

Ten Reasons Why Nepal Should Join India | Madhesi - United We Stand
Ok now give us 10 points why Nepal shouldn't join India ?

We have to be logical instead of being emotional .

How do you think majority of Nepalese will react to any such proposition ?

what has India has to offer to Nepal to lose its sovereignty ?

India is not US ....India is still a third world country with 1/4th of world poor and hungry people ...

India has long way to go and develop to provide honorable and comparable standard of living to its masses ...

Till India has achieved something tangible for itself ..expecting any other country to join India is laughable ....

Most Indians don't care about Nepal or anything else for that matter .

most Indians only worry about their daily bread ....

Let it be loudly clear ...Nepal is not Sikkim ....

As long as there is no such proposal from Nepal ...we have no reason to waste our time of ifs and buts ...and vitiate the nice unique friendly relations that we share with Nepal ....

There is aggression from the Chinese to take land from Nepal.To keep them at bay, IMO, it IS strategically important for India and for Nepal to form an official state.

If I take the Indian side, he can never beat me, lol, because India has everything more! What BD has, its a bullied country!!!
why u hates your own country ?it's your motherland.:-)

_65696920_india_nepal_tigers_0402.gif

Where is Mount Everest?

-India

I support Bhutan and Nepal with India, and India minus Kashmir.

Anyway, BD also should be merged with either India (based on ethnicity) or PK (based on religion) after a new plebiscite, it should not be separate country, because it cannot run, practice its sovereignty and solve its own problems alone!

The idea and geo-politices are changed, we need new maps now.

I dont think India will be able to economically sustain any form of merger with Bangladesh.

Bhutan and Nepal are different stories.We have very open policies towards these two countries.Butanese and Nepalese students can study in India, and can also have jobs in India without any particular hassle.We have very open form of trade and diplomatic relations well.The borders are virtually open.But then, they are different countries and the border and their sovereignty has to be respected.

Same is not the case with Bangladesh.From time to time, we had smugglers, illegal immigrants and even terrorists coming to India from Bangladesh and we have have not quite received a whole-hearted co-operation from Bangladesh to resolve this problem.
I am Bengali too, and I think there are far too many differences and dissimilarities, which will make amalgamation difficult, just language cannot be the uniting factor.We will see about that later when the situation has improved.
And yes, you don't get to have any say about Kashmir, let us worry about that.That's as polite as I can be, when I am trying to say mind your own business.

There is aggression from the Chinese to take land from Nepal.To keep them at bay, IMO, it IS strategically important for India and for Nepal to form an official state.

Before we were taught that Mount Everest is in Nepal, now it is in China/Nepal. See that!!

I dont think India will be able to economically sustain any form of merger with Bangladesh.

Bhutan and Nepal are different stories.We have very open policies towards these two countries.Butanese and Nepalese students can study in India, and can also have jobs in India without any particular hassle.We have very open form of trade and diplomatic relations well.The borders are virtually open.But then, they are different countries and the border and their sovereignty has to be respected.

Same is not the case with Bangladesh.From time to time, we had smugglers, illegal immigrants and even terrorists coming to India from Bangladesh and we have have not quite received a whole-hearted co-operation from Bangladesh to resolve this problem.
I am Bengali too, and I think there are far too many differences and dissimilarities, which will make amalgamation difficult, just language cannot be the uniting factor.We will see about that later when the situation has improved.
And yes, you don't get to have any say about Kashmir, let us worry about that.That's as polite as I can be, when I am trying to say mind your own business.

Hey, India is not a heavenly country where terrorists only come from Bangladesh. We have many Indian smugglers, terrorists in our country also. :mad: We need to send them to India. Okay, make an exchange deal. Bangladesh will send Indian smugglers and terrorists and India will send Bangladeshi smugglers and terrorists.

Hey, India is not a heavenly country where terrorists only come from Bangladesh. We have many Indian smugglers, terrorists in our country also. :mad: We need to send them to India. Okay, make an exchange deal. Bangladesh will send Indian smugglers and terrorists and India will send Bangladeshi smugglers and terrorists.

shoot them hang them crucify them if you can find them..I couldnt care less.BSF does the same

Hey, India is not a heavenly country where terrorists only come from Bangladesh. We have many Indian smugglers, terrorists in our country also. We need to send them to India. Okay, make an exchange deal. Bangladesh will send Indian smugglers and terrorists and India will send Bangladeshi smugglers and terrorists.
Trust me making an exchange deal with India is not good for BD. because there are 5 crore Bangladeshis living in India... If you made exchange your 50% population will below poverty line than..

Trust me making an exchange deal with India is not good for BD. because there are 5 crore Bangladeshis living in India... If you made exchange your 50% population will below poverty line than..

WTF ! 5 crores ! This can't be true. I know some Bangladeshis are living in India but this can't be more than 50 lakhs. Btw, if 5 crore Bangladeshis live in India its good. Please allow atleast 10 crore more. You know, we are over crowded. Our country can manage maximum 5 crore but here population is 20 crore! Officially 16 crore but real figure is 20 crore. India is blood brother to Bangladesh. Your country is big. You can shelter 15 crore Bangladeshi easily.

Back
Top Bottom