Team USA

Old into new...

Turn your old deadbolt into a Smart Lock: August Smart Lock

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 11.45.09 AM.png

Turn your old window venetian blinds into Smart Blinds: MySmartBlinds

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 12.03.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Water Filtration in the USA

Luckily the water in the US is pretty good in quality. However you can still buy a myriad of water filtration devices if you want even cleaner water.

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 6.17.20 PM.png

iSpring 6 stage Reverse Osmosis system
1st Stage: 5 micron high-capacity polypropylene sediment filter
2nd Stage: GAC Filter
3rd Stage: CTO Carbon Filter
4th Stage: High Rejection 75GPD Thin Film Composite reverse osmosis membrane
5th Stage: Post inline coconut carbon filter;
6th Stage: De-Ionized filter.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 8.44.14 AM.png

Countertop water filter

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 6.38.56 PM.png

Most refrigerators have filters for the tap water connection.

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 6.44.49 PM.png

A simple faucet filter

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 8.40.27 AM.png

Simple pitcher with filter

Last edited:
Homes: incandescent, cfl, halogen, LED light bulbs

Today I see the following 60w (800 lumen) dimmable LED soft white bulb for $4.99 at HomeDepot. Same bulb was over $12 a year ago,

View attachment 184602

LED prices just get better and better...new design is just $2.97 and only weighs 2 ounces.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 8.55.22 PM.png

Last edited:
Folks, as someone new to the idea of credit.. How much does the non-payment of Emergency Medical bills effect credit rating?

Folks, as someone new to the idea of credit.. How much does the non-payment of Emergency Medical bills effect credit rating?

If they send a collection agency after you then you will take a hit (how much I don't know). If they don't send one and simply write it off then you are ok.

Thing is, I had to rush to the hospital less than a month after I landed. Did not have insurance then so now Ive got a big bill on my heads and deciding whether to pay it or let it go at one of those peanut monthly payments.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope the treatment you received at least made you healthy.

I've never done this personally, but I have read that some people have had success in negotiating a lower bill with the hospital (they collect cents on the dollar if they send it to collections, so it's worth their while to try and get what they can without paying a middle-man). There's nothing to lose by calling them up and asking if you can work something out; the worst they can do is say no, in which case, nothing will have changed.

Good luck.

Thing is, I had to rush to the hospital less than a month after I landed. Did not have insurance then so now Ive got a big bill on my heads and deciding whether to pay it or let it go at one of those peanut monthly payments.

Hi,

You should call them up and explain your situation, that you cannot make the payment upfront. They might offer an installment payment plan or something you can afford, but still have to pay. Unfortunately ignoring won't help. They will get to you using Debt Collectors, and if i am correct, you are in Texas? Not a very friendly state in these matters, plus they might get back to you after a 10-12 months.
I needed some emergency care, so needed X-rays done. I had insurance (as it was required for all international students, by law) and while at the hospital i didn't pay anything, anything above $100 was covered by insurance, but there was this bill of $58 which insurance did not cover since it was less $100. This bill came in my mail about 9 months after the treatment (they took long to trace me of course), i knew i had to pay it, but i ignored and then one day i get a call on my cell number from a debt collection agency that i have some amount due that i needed to pay. All the usual threatening stuff, but they made it clear that if don't pay, not only can they pursue the case in court but make a dent on my credit rating, which as you know, is very important if you plan on living in USA in the future.

And this was all for just $58.....so if they are determined to get the money from you, they will find you. No point in screwing up your credit rating.
So talk to them nicely and try to negotiate a deal.

Does anyone live in Northern California? That region looks like a paradise.

Back
Top Bottom