What's new

Tata Nano... Whats thew news in Pakistan about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW's, Mercs and Range Rovers are quite common in the elite areas of Pakistan. If it weren't so than there wouldn't have been any offices/showrooms of such cars here.

Contrary to that all there companies have official showrooms in Karachi.

Apart from that, we have limited expensive imported cars too. Such as Ferrari Rolls Royce etc.

I am not saying they are not common. They are common in some the villages in India especially in Punjab and Andhra.

Just because some people (a few 1000s at the most) can afford it doesn't mean the that the rest of the hundreds of millions don't need to be catered to!

Even in the figures shared by epool, Pakistan currently sells 150,000 cars a year. Don't you think there are a lot many families that could do with a cheaper car if it was made available to them?

I am not saying they are not common. They are common in some the villages in India especially in Punjab and Andhra.

Just because some people (a few 1000s at the most) can afford it doesn't mean the that the rest of the hundreds of millions don't need to be catered to!

Even in the figures shared by epool, Pakistan currently sells 150,000 cars a year. Don't you think there are a lot many families that could do with a cheaper car if it was made available to them?

Again and simply put...........NANO may be a seller in India, but it will have not have a very big market in Pakistan owing to the Jap factor & other market dynamics! Cheaper car for low-income families, yes........Made in India NANO for Pakistan....a big NA & a bigger NO!

So lets hope that Tata (who is a good businessman indeed) has thought this through and would at the end of the day get his money's & investment worth! Good luck to him!

Again and simply put...........NANO may be a seller in India, but it will have not have a very big market in Pakistan owing to the Jap factor & other market dynamics! Cheaper car for low-income families, yes........Made in India NANO for Pakistan....a big NA & a bigger NO!

So lets hope that Tata (who is a good businessman indeed) has thought this through and would at the end of the day get his money's & investment worth! Good luck to him!

I don't think Tata is looking to sell it in Pakistan in the first place, so the issue is hypothetical. He has a long way to go in fulfilling the Indian demand itself.

Tata may have made an investment of Rs 1000 crore odd in the project. Just his one company TCS was worth $20 billion (Rs. 80000 Cr) before the current recession. I have not even touched his investments in Corus and the various other sectors like steel, Telecom, power and so on.

So don't worry, he is nowhere near going bankrupt if NANO doesn't do so well!

Second what other Indian products (or Indian owned or created) will you stop using: Using zero, using Pentium computers, using hotmail (rather it should be internet based mail), buying anything made from Corus or Arcelor Mittal steel, using Java (Sun was co-founded by an Indian) and anything that works on Java....

To what extent do you really want to go in boycotting Indian products?

I don't think Tata is looking to sell it in Pakistan in the first place, so the issue is hypothetical. He has a long way to go in fulfilling the Indian demand itself.

Tata may have made an investment of Rs 1000 crore odd in the project. Just his one company TCS was worth $20 billion (Rs. 80000 Cr) before the current recession. I have not even touched his investments in Corus and the various other sectors like steel, Telecom, power and so on.

So don't worry, he is nowhere near going bankrupt if NANO doesn't do so well!

Second what other Indian products (or Indian owned or created) will you stop using: Using zero, using Pentium computers, using hotmail (rather it should be internet based mail), buying anything made from Corus or Arcelor Mittal steel, using Java (Sun was co-founded by an Indian) and anything that works on Java....

To what extent do you really want to go in boycotting Indian products?

I advised you to show restraint but you just could not resist being a certified Indian Idiot to bring in totally irrelevant subject into this discussion? Whoever mentioned anything about boycotting Indian products or TATA going bankrupt???? We in Pakistan are using quite a few of Indian products at various levels!! So again stick to the subject, read and try to assimilate the message in the post without having prejudice on your little brain and stop the open advertisement of your stupidity to avoid any misunderstandings! :smokin:

A look at their press conferences during plant inaugaration would have answered the question.

Their decision to set up a plant in India was to tap into the promising potential of market of the Indian-subcontitnent

It is very possible that shipment of the cars form India into Pakistan has been halted and re-routed through a different country. Considering that their potential is being realised in India itself

The BMW plant was unveiled in 2007 (is it even up and running yet?)- that is not enough time for production to shift from another country to India and then back again. There are links indicating that the fifty thousand plus BMW's manufactured in South Afirca have been serving the Pakistani market from as early as 1995.

Likewise, given the limited production capacity at the Merc plant, I find it hard to see how Pakistani demand was being served. Most Multinationals tend to include Pakistan as part of their Middle East market and is served by their Middle East affiliates.
What on Earth is a "City Cart" that seats 4

* Families moving around in this Car"t" need not take a bath during the rainy season

* Works very well as a mobile Sun Tan vehicle

* Vehicle gives a tremendous boost to Pakistan's woolen Garment industry

Oh and the millions of motorbikes plying Indian roads are for what? Do you guys manufacture them with dual zone climate control and moon-roofs?

Don't be absurd and overstay your welcome by resorting to inane comments meant to denigrate anything Pakistani - the vehicle was designed as a safer alternative to motorbikes, and .. wait for it ... the amazing secret... motorbikes have no roof!! Who could have thought!
The fact of the matter is that Pakistani Engineers did not posses the competency to develop a vehicle whose assemblies and sub-assemblies could be miniaturised to be accomodated with the constraints of the space provided

Nor were they proficient enough to make use of FEA and CAD-CAM methods to design a car [the implementation of FEA methods resulted in the Nano needing just 1/4th the crash testing to come up with an optimised design] - a massive cost saver

Nor is the knowledge of advanced, light weight, high strength polymer materials that has been used in the Nano as prevalant in your country

The classification of the Sitara as a "City Cart" is simply an effort to put up a brave face
Rubbish - the above just reflects your twisted hateful mentality towards Pakistan, though this typically Indian superiority complex and arrogance is not surprising. What is lacking is not competency - that has been shown beyond a doubt in various military and civilian industrial and technological areas - but the resources and investment required to build a product such as the Nano.

The development of the Nano does not indicate a higher degree of competency in Indian engineers vs Pakistani engineers - it indicates that one major business group managed to put together the resources required to research and develop a particular product.

Your attempt to characterize the classification of the Sitara as a 'brave face measure' is just an attempt to distort the situation to denigrate Pakistan. That spurious allegation might have been true had the original intent been to develop a car to compete with the Nano, with the design process going completely wrong.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the comparision was indeed made here. When the post had been started to inquire about the presence of an Indian made, Indian designed car in your country, your countrymen threw pictures of Adam Motors assembled cars and proclaiming superiorty

Pity, the company that Pakistan is so proud of is History
Pakistan pioneer passenger car bites the dust

Actually the insinuation, made repeatedly by your country men indirectly and sometimes directly (as in the case of Vinod), has been that Pakistan is some sort of backwater where people are still marveling at this invention called a car - IK's and others posts were in that context, and did indeed clarify the situation in that Pakistan had her own options available.

The Revo went under - too bad - companies succeed and fail. If you had read the article more carefully you would realize that it was not due to a 'lack of competency' on the part of Pakistani engineers, but the political instability and terrorism.

Britain doesn't possess a car manufacturer worth anything at the moment, and the US may not either in the future. These things happen - your 'gloating' would seem to indicate that India is actually better off than the British and possibly the US on the basis that Ashok Leyland production jumped!:lol: Yeah - keep gloating.

I advised you to show restraint but you just could not resist being a certified Indian Idiot to bring in totally irrelevant subject into this discussion? Whoever mentioned anything about boycotting Indian products or TATA going bankrupt???? We in Pakistan are using quite a few of Indian products at various levels!! So again stick to the subject, read and try to assimilate the message in the post without having prejudice on your little brain and stop the open advertisement of your stupidity to avoid any misunderstandings! :smokin:

I see that you have a problem conducting civilized debates.

Go take a hike!

Looking and reading through this thread one can safely say that jingoism is on both sides.

A simple question was asked and i would have to say both sides went to the extent of proclaiming superiority over each other.

Economic nationalism.....

Honestly i think if TATA markets his NANO in Pakistan, it shall be a big hit. Considering he sets a similar price across the border.

But before he does that, some Pakistani businessmen should tap this un-explored market. Maybe buy the rights offa TATA and market it here with a different name altogether.

^^ I am sure Tata will be open for that.

The Pakistani consumers may end up getting better quality though (and at a lower price) if Tata directly sells to them though.

with regards to NANO what others notice is not just "Car" but factors which makes its cheap.
Which indicate manufacturing becoming cheaper in India.

Which encorugare others to come to india for establishing manufacturing in india.
As mentioned in other posts yes Pakistan has japanese companies but not for exports.
for example:
Maruthi Suziki exports its small car varients to europe.
Hyndai exports its i10 and i20 from india.
Honda is establishing plant in Rajstan for its exports.
Nissan has its its exports from india.
India exports 200,000 small cars.

^^ I am sure Tata will be open for that.

The Pakistani consumers may end up getting better quality though (and at a lower price) if Tata directly sells to them though.

There will be a political problem if he sells them directly under the TATA tag. Change the design just enough that the public mistakes it for a "copy" of the original TATA.

Plus there will always be boycotts against the TATA, and if the situation deters between the two countries people might even burn down afew showrooms etc., wont work under the same tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom