What's new

Taliban Tightens grip on Karachi

do what it does best .. shove it under the carpet , ignore and pretend never happened as long as the problem is not at home they are not bothered

Politicians are useless in the sub contient, they need these mafia for man power, money and to take care of their opponents....the difference in Mumbai for example is the cops do that job and in effect at least the people lead a safer life.

Karachi's problem it seems is MQM has the local administration, while PPP rules the province and PMLN is at the center - all three are against each other if I am not mistaken...local police report to PPP, FC reports to the center and the locals are faithful to MQM...hence not much moves ahead.

@Oscar @syedali73 @Armstrong @Slav Defence @Irfan Baloch @blain2 @Chak Bamu @Icarus

What is next ?

Are we one step closer to the point of no return , perhaps ?

After the 18th Amendment the maintenance of Law & Order, so far as I know, is the responsibility of the Provincial Government; now we both know that PPP is a Party that didn't perform in the last 5 years at either the Center or in the Provinces & there is nothing to suggest that they would this time around !

The challenge I think that is faced by the Federal Government is to whether respect PPP's mandate in Sindh or to take matters into their own hands & do something about this mess !

The downside to all of this is that even at a Federal Level the Government doesn't seem to be performing well enough when it comes to tackling Militancy & Religious Fanaticism of the Taliban or the Separatists in Baluchistan so how much they'd be successful in Karachi were they to assert or not is something I wouldn't bet much on !

But tis true that this can't continue on for long & sooner or later the Federal Government is going to have to take some sort of action !

Politicians are useless in the sub contient, they need these mafia for man power, money and to take care of their opponents....the difference in Mumbai for example is the cops do that job and in effect at least the people lead a safer life.

Karachi's problem it seems is MQM has the local administration, while PPP rules the province and PMLN is at the center - all three are against each other if I am not mistaken...local police report to PPP, FC reports to the center and the locals are faithful to MQM...hence not much moves ahead.

lucky you guys are choices are between bad and worst ... shukar karo Allah / God / Bhagwan ka who ever you beleive in our case unfortunately between islamic extremist savages or racist goons .. karachis issue is pretty much what you said locals have no powers , money is looted by fed and provincial govts - hence all we can do is whine and complain

Infact Karachi is under threat ... If GoP decides to lauch an operation in Waziristan then TTP will try to destroy the city ........

They are in so called case -fire and peace talks yet these cowards are still up to no good , there should be no peace talks time to get rid of these a$$holes once and for all kill them all the time is now not later.

The article is exaggerating. Taliban have also presence in each and every district of khyber pakhtunkhwa, it doesnt mean they control entire province. Same is case with karachi, they have just presence in 30% area of karachi which are pashtun areas. Some of the areas were already no go areas, but wall street journal is assuming that taliban have took control of the areas. Its simple ,taliban draws their support mainly from pashtun population so they first targated ANP in karachi and shattered their influence. Now TTP seems to be the big boss in those areas. They can not control areas like MQM, they are banned terrorist outfit, they are hiding. They are getting arrested and killed by karachi police and rangers and we do not hear about any pitch battles between LEA and taliban which means they are not exactly ruling over the territory....their main purpose is to milk money from karachi to finance their war in north west.

lucky you guys are choices are between bad and worst ... shukar karo Allah / God / Bhagwan ka who ever you beleive in our case unfortunately between islamic extremist savages or racist goons .. karachis issue is pretty much what you said locals have no powers , money is looted by fed and provincial govts - hence all we can do is whine and complain

As I said earlier, it takes one honest top cop and one honest top politician to back the top cop. The only way to take care of large scale mafia gangs in an urban setting is by eliminating them one by one...there is one more method...ek doosre se bidaa doh...lekin uske ke liye planning aur akal ki zaroorath hoti hai...and by the look of things no one wants to use both in Karachi.

This is really scary. Looks like Talibans are spreading their tentacles everywhere apart from Punjab. Sometimes it really makes me wonder if this is all happening with the consent of Sharif brothers. If they think that Punjab will be safe from Taliban as long as they are given free hand in rest of Pakistan, then Sharifs are going to be in for a rude shock!

@Oscar @syedali73 @Armstrong @Slav Defence @Irfan Baloch @blain2 @Chak Bamu @Icarus

What is next ?

Are we one step closer to the point of no return , perhaps ?
Monsieur...if we keep on repeating same mistakes then definitely we will end at PNR. The part II of my write up will describe the very same scenario.Right now,the best strategy is to respond them with bullets and heavy boots,plus powerful media campaign against them.I can't tell you that how people of tribal areas are becoming sandwich between US drones and TTP attacks.Plus,our silence is increasing their confidence and power,so much that now they are strengthening their bases in Karachi.TTP spokesman stated exactly what I predicted early.I am repeating continuously that launch full fledge operation against them,against TTP.shame on our civil regime.Shame.

The article is exaggerating. Taliban have also presence in each and every district of khyber pakhtunkhwa, it doesnt mean they control entire province. Same is case with karachi, they have just presence in 30% area of karachi which are pashtun areas. Some of the areas were already no go areas, but wall street journal is assuming that taliban have took control of the areas. Its simple ,taliban draws their support mainly from pashtun population so they first targated ANP in karachi and shattered their influence. Now TTP seems to be the big boss in those areas. They can not control areas like MQM, they are banned terrorist outfit, they are hiding. They are getting arrested and killed by karachi police and rangers and we do not hear about any pitch battles between LEA and taliban which means they are not exactly ruling over the territory....their main purpose is to milk money from karachi to finance their war in north west.

Not really , because the ground reality is far worse . It only shows areas of total dominance and control . The ones with partial control , influence and penetration are of course not listed . WSJ can only know so much .

I thought its exaggerated.....

Since 1963-65 when I was stationed in Karachi the same very poor parts of Karachi remain the hotbeds of extremists and revolutionaries. However, matters are worse in 2014 in that the size and firepower and armored vehicles of the Karachi Police Dept. and Rangers have not kept pace with the explosion in and of the terrorist/poorest people sections of Karachi.

Colonel, USAF, Retired, USA

Back
Top Bottom