What's new

Talat Hussain on Imran Khan's statement about TTP's office

Americans are occupiers of Afghanistan, that's why they are negotiating with Talibs.

Is Pak Army occupying FATA? that whatever America doing with afghan talib should be reciprocate for TTP too?

and who are talibans in Afghanistan? Is that an afghan government or rebels? come on yar...

as for taliban, majority of them are Pakistanis, hell even the worst of them named themselves Tehrik-i-taliban-Pakistan not some tehrik-e-Azadi Taliban riyasat or Emirate of Islamic FATA :D

secondly we are looking to settle the conflict through Peace negotiations, here ego and bad blood needs to be put aside for a while. I know its hard for most of us, but rational approach would be to not think emotionally.

honestly you dont expect to bring peace through pointing a gun on your opponent head.

If people cannot understand a simple logic what can khan sb do then ? :-)

Everyother blast is claimed by TTP, so why not have an office of ttp and ask them why are they doing this and how they are getting so much of man power who are willing to die for them.

If people cannot understand a simple logic what can khan sb do then ? :-)

Everyother blast is claimed by TTP, so why not have an office of ttp and ask them why are they doing this and how they are getting so much of man power who are willing to die for them.

Great next time someone robs on you the gunpoint or breaks into your home and potentially kill your family. Make some tea and have a nice peace chat talk with them.

A toxic narrative

A toxic narrative - DAWN.COM

He attributes the killing of thousands of Pakistani men, women and children by the terrorists solely to the blowback effect of the US drone strikes and the war in Afghanistan. For the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chief the unconditional surrender of the Pakistani state to the Taliban is the only way out of the bloody conflict.
His demand for a ceasefire in the aftermath of the killing of Gen Sanaullah Niazi by the militants is a glaring example of his muddled thinking on critical security issues. A day before the militant attack in Upper Dir, the PTI government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa ordered the army troops to pull out of Malakand.

Such a senseless move without a strong civilian security and administrative system in place is tantamount to handing back the control of the area to the group involved in last week’s killing of the regional commander.

The party has also endorsed the Taliban demand for withdrawal of the army from the tribal areas. With this approach there is nothing to wonder about which side of the fence Imran Khan is on.

What is most dangerous, however, is that Imran Khan’s perilously flawed narrative has influenced the national discourse. Those views were reflected in the all-party conference (APC) resolution earlier this month that has virtually legitimised militancy by declaring the extremist group a stakeholder in the peace process.

A non-starter from the outset, the so-called peace initiative endorsed by the APC has not yet taken off the ground, mainly because the Taliban have upped the ante sensing the government’s weakness. The resolution, aptly described as a “document of surrender”, has however further muddled the nation’s resolve to fight violent militancy and religious extremism.

A weak-kneed response by the government to the latest killing of senior army officers fighting on the front line has widened the difference between the civilian and military leadership.

Gen Kayani’s statement that the military would not bow to the Taliban’s demands marks a clear departure from the placatory tenor of the APC resolution.

It also reflects the growing frustration within the military ranks at the ambivalence of the national leadership on the problem that presents the greatest threat to national security and the unity of the country.

Nothing can make the militants happier than a procrastinating political leadership unable to stand up to the grave national security challenges.

In order to fight terrorism and violent militancy more effectively it is imperative to dismantle the toxic narrative that is being propounded by the likes of Imran Khan and also taken up by the PML-N government.

Firstly, it is a false argument that the rise of militancy and sectarian violence is solely the blowback effect of US intervention in Afghanistan and the drone strikes in the tribal region. The roots of militancy are much deeper in Pakistan and while the war in Afghanistan may have only fuelled it further, it is certainly not the cause.

Most militant groups involved in terrorist activities and those fighting the Pakistani forces operated for a long time under the patronage of the country’s security establishment waging jihad in other countries. Many of them had a close nexus with Al Qaeda and it was a matter of time before they turned their guns on their erstwhile patrons.

Imran Khan and others who blame Pakistan’s support for the US war in Afghanistan for the conflict are either naïve or twisting the facts to give legitimacy to the militants’ violence. The truth is that under a UN Security Council resolution Pakistan had no choice but to side with the US after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. We should not forget that Imran Khan supported Gen Musharraf’s decision at the time.

Again it is a false argument that militancy will cease if Pakistan dissociates itself from the US-led war in Afghanistan. Firstly, how is Pakistan a part of the US war? In fact, the country has often been accused of supporting the Afghan Taliban insurgency against the occupation forces.

Secondly, the US now plans to pull out its forces from Afghanistan by the end of next year and it is in the interest of Pakistan to facilitate a political settlement in the war-ravaged country. Does Imran Khan want Pakistan to side with the Taliban fighting the foreign troops in Afghanistan?

Yet another fallacy is that the Pakistani Taliban’s militancy is in retaliation to the US drone strikes in the tribal regions. There is no empirical evidence to prove this contention. For sure the drone strikes violate Pakistan’s sovereignty and must be stopped. It is also true that the civilian casualties have some serious political implications. But to link the militancy to the Predator strikes is certainly an exaggeration.

To put the record straight, only six drone strikes were carried out from 2004 to 2009 and except for the Damadola incident there had not been any collateral damage reported.

But most terrorist attacks occurred during that period targeting civilians as well as the security personnel and the installations.

Most of the tribal agencies and Malakand division in KP had fallen under Taliban control. Peshawar was virtually under siege and militants had advanced to the areas close to the capital Islamabad. It was only after the military operations that the state was able to re-establish its control over those areas.

So to say that the military action did not work is an extremely flawed argument. In fact, the peace deals had allowed the Taliban the space to reorganise themselves. The latest move for unconditional peace negotiations will have the same effect.

Imran Khan’s toxic narrative only helps the Taliban and other militant groups that have declared war against the state. What is at stake is the future of democracy and the stability of the country.

The writer is an author and journalist.

zhussain100@**********

Twitter: @hidhussain
its not only talat hussian, every pakistani who has a little bit of pakistaniayat, will be giving hot words, for IK?
its not yet, 4 days of the bombings of the church in peshawar, & the foolish IK comes up with , this foolish wish?

while the idea of a TTP office may be outrageous, i agree with what is going on in IK's head. there is no way of any peace talks with the TTP unless all its '25 groups' - who want peace talks - can be brought on one platform. and how exactly do we plan to do that? keep freeing taliban leaders to go and talk to TTP leaders on our behalf? for anyone who really wants to get this settled through talks, it is absolutely crucial to bring all the willing factions on one platform.

instead of explaining this, IK went straight ahead and recommended a TTP office. He should try harder when it comes to taking the nation along rather than throwing bouncers every now and then.

that all depends how we manage the affair. Peace will take its own course and such steps are necessary if peace is to be tried..

And I suppose we are not good in managing ... :disagree:

Americans are occupiers of Afghanistan, that's why they are negotiating with Talibs.

Is Pak Army occupying FATA? that whatever America doing with afghan talib should be reciprocate for TTP too?

Our Pak Army has been fighting in FATA since 9 years now, has it been able to occupy FATA in 9 long years? No? Damn must be a Imran Khan's fault..

I know about that but what would be the consequences of their office in Pakistan ???

Dear what Talat Hussain said was absolutely right ........ IK look confuse about Taliban, TTP and Trible area ......he really need to sit & consult with some more knowledgable one or with a group of people from his own party ....... in my opinion Shah Mahmood Qureshi, Javaid Hashmi or even with Haroon Rasheed ......

I am shocked by this statement of IK ....... this really shows his level of understanding of this issue ....... he is offering TTP status equivalent to Afghan Taliban ...... or he is asking Pakistan to "Liberate Trible Area"

...................I am just shocked........... :undecided:

People are acting totally naive regarding IK's statement. Did IK wanted TTP to open their franchise or outlet for their organization, register their company / institution (whatever it is) or apply for National Taxation Number and have a company bank accounts? He just merely said them to kind of set up a place where we can meet TTP representatives for peace talks, its more like asking them for a place and representatives for negotiations because we need to know whom we are going to negotiate with and where.

People are acting totally naive regarding IK's statement. Did IK wanted TTP to open their franchise or outlet for their organization, register their company / institution (whatever it is) or apply for National Taxation Number and have a company bank accounts? He just merely said them to kind of set up a place where we can meet TTP representatives for peace talks, its more like asking them for a place and representatives for negotiations because we need to know whom we are going to negotiate with and where.

Dear do you really think IK and government are not aware to whom they are going to negotiate ....... earlier proposed model of IK to involve tribal elders and to call grand Loya Jirga was much practical and that could fetch us more desire results .......... direct negotiation with TTP could be initiated, but office is not necessary only for this basic purpose ...... it will be premature decision .......

yar pata nahi kaisy log hain ham
kal tak talat hussain bohot he acha ... No. 1 rank anchor tha. laikin aj aik bat ko ghalat kaha to sab say bura ho gaya. yeh zehnyat kab badly ge.

janab he is anti pti from the day imran said elections were rigged

on the day of election he was the main person who general public thinks is neutral and well respected

Talat spear head the campaign that i have received no reports of rigging and pti is spread chaos and are lying because they lost the elections pti is spreading propaganda against me on social media as i am telling the truth

This guy talat is the number 1 journalist who calls Najam sethi interim cm punjab at that time a liar,a cheat,a corrupt and even indian and usa agent and on night of election results when media was showing tons of footage of election rigging said that there is no rigging (using his neutral and well respected reputation) while not even single party including ppp,pmln etc etc were satisfied with elections

recently in karachi from where pmln MNA won thumb prints were checked on voter chits and guess what they found

pmln MNA got 33000 votes and out of 33,000 30,000 votes were bogus

so this show how free and fair election turned out to be .

We absolutely cannot let them have any form of legitimacy. I cannot support PTI here and I would ask fellow PTI supporters to think about this.

Dear do you really think IK and government are not aware to whom they are going to negotiate ....... earlier proposed model of IK to involve tribal elders and to call grand Loya Jirga was much practical and that could fetch us more desire results .......... direct negotiation with TTP could be initiated, but office is not necessary only for this basic purpose ...... it will be premature decision .......

Ok you tell me honestly, what's more appropriate? Sending our Jirga elders to TTP strongholds or ask TTP to send their representatives to our city for peace talks? We can't trust TTP as of yet and we can't send our tribal jirga elders to TTP for negotiations like this. What if TTP butchers them or takes them as hostages? Although I'm advocating peace talks with TTP, but that doesn't mean I don't know what scumbags these TTP rats are. If anything will go wrong (God forbidden) then entire freaking blame will be on IK and PTI regardless of unanimous decisions of all parties in APC..

This is not that much of an issue but we've made it God knows what.. lol

Back
Top Bottom