What's new

Syrian Civil War (Graphic Photos/Vid Not Allowed)

B4OImlHCcAAYQuI.jpg

Last edited:
********-dot-com-779_1418253608-01_conflict_reporter2_1418253648.jpg.resized (3).jpg

IS militants are now just 600 meters away from Deir ez-Zor air base in central Syria, according to geolocated photographs analyzed by @Conflict_Report, a reputable and impartial source. The air base has been highly contested over the past week as IS militants repeatedly advanced and retreated from the strategically significant air base.

Shammar tribe

A MUST READ

Isis: the inside story
One of the Islamic State’s senior commanders reveals exclusive details of the terror group’s origins inside an Iraqi prison – right under the noses of their American jailers. Report by Martin Chulov

Detainees in Camp Bucca, in southern Irag. Photograph: David Furst/AFP/Getty Images
Martin Chulov

In the summer of 2004, a young jihadist in shackles and chains was walked by his captors slowly into the Camp Bucca prison in southern Iraq. He was nervous as two American soldiers led him through three brightly-lit buildings and then a maze of wire corridors, into an open yard, where men with middle-distance stares, wearing brightly-coloured prison uniforms, stood back warily, watching him.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in 2006 when he was the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq. Photograph: AP
On the morning of 19 August, the first of three flat-bed trucks carrying three large 1000-litre water tanks, each filled with explosives, detonated on an overpass outside the Finance Ministry in south-eastern Baghdad. The blast sent a rumble across the Emerald City, raising desert soil that caked homes brown, and sending thousands of pigeons scattering through the sky. Three minutes later, a second enormous bomb blew up outside the Foreign Ministry on the northern edge of the Green Zone. Shortly after that, a third blast hit a police convoy near the Finance Ministry. More than 101 people were killed and nearly 600 wounded; it was one of the deadliest attacks in the six-year-old Iraqi insurgency.

“I failed,” Kamal told me that day. “We all failed.” Within hours, he was summoned to meet Maliki and his security chiefs. The prime minister was livid. “He told me to present what I had to the Syrians,” Kamal later said. “We arranged with Turkey to act as a mediator and I flew to Ankara to meet with them. I took this file” – he tapped a thick white folder on his desk – “and they could not argue with what we showed them. The case was completely solid and the Syrians knew it. Ali Mamlouk [the head of Syrian general security] was there. All he did was look at me smiling and say ‘I will not recognise any official from a country that is under US occupation’. It was a waste of time.” Iraq recalled its ambassador to Damascus, and Syria ordered its envoy to Baghdad home in retaliation. Throughout the rest of the year, and into early 2010, relations between Maliki and Assad remained toxic.

In March 2010, Iraqi forces, acting on a US tip, arrested an Islamic State leader named Munaf Abdul Rahim al-Rawi, who was revealed to be one of the group’s main commanders in Baghdad, and one of the very few people who had access to the group’s then leader, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi. Al-Rawi talked. And in a rare moment of collaboration, Iraq’s three main intelligence bodies, including General Kamal’s Intelligence Division, conspired to get a listening device and GPS location tracker in a flower box delivered to Abu Omar’s hideout.

After it was confirmed that Abu Omar and his deputy, Abu Ayub al-Masri, were present at a house six miles south-west of Tikrit, it was attacked in a US-led raid. Both men detonated suicide vests to avoid being captured. Messages to Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri were found on a computer inside the house. Much like Bin Laden’s safe house in Pakistan, where he would be killed a little more than a year later, Abu Omar’s hideout had no internet connections or telephone lines – all important messages were carried in and out by only three men. One of them was Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

“Abu Bakr was a messenger for Abu Omar,” Abu Ahmed told me. “He became the closest aide to him. The messages that got to Osama bin Laden were sometimes drafted by him and their journey always started with him. When Abu Omar was killed, Abu Bakr was made leader. That time we all had in Bucca became very important again.”

The deaths of Abu Omar al-Baghdadi and Abu Ayub al-Masri were a serious blow to Isis, but the roles they had vacated were quickly filled by the alumni of Camp Bucca – whose upper echelons had begun preparing for this moment since their time behind the wire of their jail in southern Iraq. “For us it was an academy,” Abu Ahmed said, “but for them” – the senior leaders – “it was a management school. There wasn’t a void at all, because so many people had been mentored in prison.

“When [the civil war in] Syria became serious,” he continued, “it wasn’t difficult to transfer all that expertise to a different battle zone. The Iraqis are the most important people on the military and Shura councils in Isis now, and that is because of all of those years preparing for such an event. I underestimated Baghdadi. And America underestimated the role it played in making him what he is.”

Abu Ahmed remains a member of Isis; he is active in the group’s operations in both Iraq and Syria. Throughout our discussions, he portrayed himself as a man reluctant to stay with the group, and yet unwilling to risk any attempt to leave.

Life with Isis means power, money, wives and status – all attractive lures for young firebrands with a cause - but it also means killing and dominating for a worldview in which he no longer believes so fervently. He said hundreds of young men like him, who were drawn to a Sunni jihad after the US invasion, do not believe that the latest manifestation of the decade-long war remains true to its origins.

Iraqi detainees sleeping outside their tents in Camp Bucca, Iraq. Photograph: David Furst/AFP/Getty Images
“The biggest mistake I made is to join them,” Abu Ahmed said, but added that leaving the group would mean that he and his family would certainly be killed. Staying and enforcing the group’s brutal vision, despite partially disavowing it, does not trouble Abu Ahmed, who sees himself as having few other options.

“It’s not that I don’t believe in Jihad,” he said. “I do,” he continued, his voice trailing away. “But what options do I have? If I leave, I am dead.”

The arc of his involvement with what is now the world’s most menacing terrorist group mirrors many others who now hold senior positions in the group: first a battle against an invading army, then a score to be settled with an ancient sectarian foe, and now, a war that could be acting out an end of days prophecy.

In the world of the Bucca alumni, there is little room for revisionism, or reflection. Abu Ahmed seems to feel himself swept along by events that are now far bigger than him, or anyone else.

“There are others who are not ideologues,” he said, referring to senior Isis members close to Baghdadi. “People who started out in Bucca, like me. And then it got bigger than any of us. This can’t be stopped now. This is out of the control of any man. Not Baghdadi, or anyone else in his circle.”

Martin Chulov covers the Middle East for the Guardian. He has reported from the region since 2005. Additional reporting by Salaam Riazk

shami
Unmasked: the man behind top Islamic State Twitter account - Channel 4 News

Shammar tribe

A MUST READ

Isis: the inside story
One of the Islamic State’s senior commanders reveals exclusive details of the terror group’s origins inside an Iraqi prison – right under the noses of their American jailers. Report by Martin Chulov

Detainees in Camp Bucca, in southern Irag. Photograph: David Furst/AFP/Getty Images
Martin Chulov

In the summer of 2004, a young jihadist in shackles and chains was walked by his captors slowly into the Camp Bucca prison in southern Iraq. He was nervous as two American soldiers led him through three brightly-lit buildings and then a maze of wire corridors, into an open yard, where men with middle-distance stares, wearing brightly-coloured prison uniforms, stood back warily, watching him.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in 2006 when he was the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq. Photograph: AP
On the morning of 19 August, the first of three flat-bed trucks carrying three large 1000-litre water tanks, each filled with explosives, detonated on an overpass outside the Finance Ministry in south-eastern Baghdad. The blast sent a rumble across the Emerald City, raising desert soil that caked homes brown, and sending thousands of pigeons scattering through the sky. Three minutes later, a second enormous bomb blew up outside the Foreign Ministry on the northern edge of the Green Zone. Shortly after that, a third blast hit a police convoy near the Finance Ministry. More than 101 people were killed and nearly 600 wounded; it was one of the deadliest attacks in the six-year-old Iraqi insurgency.

“I failed,” Kamal told me that day. “We all failed.” Within hours, he was summoned to meet Maliki and his security chiefs. The prime minister was livid. “He told me to present what I had to the Syrians,” Kamal later said. “We arranged with Turkey to act as a mediator and I flew to Ankara to meet with them. I took this file” – he tapped a thick white folder on his desk – “and they could not argue with what we showed them. The case was completely solid and the Syrians knew it. Ali Mamlouk [the head of Syrian general security] was there. All he did was look at me smiling and say ‘I will not recognise any official from a country that is under US occupation’. It was a waste of time.” Iraq recalled its ambassador to Damascus, and Syria ordered its envoy to Baghdad home in retaliation. Throughout the rest of the year, and into early 2010, relations between Maliki and Assad remained toxic.

In March 2010, Iraqi forces, acting on a US tip, arrested an Islamic State leader named Munaf Abdul Rahim al-Rawi, who was revealed to be one of the group’s main commanders in Baghdad, and one of the very few people who had access to the group’s then leader, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi. Al-Rawi talked. And in a rare moment of collaboration, Iraq’s three main intelligence bodies, including General Kamal’s Intelligence Division, conspired to get a listening device and GPS location tracker in a flower box delivered to Abu Omar’s hideout.

After it was confirmed that Abu Omar and his deputy, Abu Ayub al-Masri, were present at a house six miles south-west of Tikrit, it was attacked in a US-led raid. Both men detonated suicide vests to avoid being captured. Messages to Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri were found on a computer inside the house. Much like Bin Laden’s safe house in Pakistan, where he would be killed a little more than a year later, Abu Omar’s hideout had no internet connections or telephone lines – all important messages were carried in and out by only three men. One of them was Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

“Abu Bakr was a messenger for Abu Omar,” Abu Ahmed told me. “He became the closest aide to him. The messages that got to Osama bin Laden were sometimes drafted by him and their journey always started with him. When Abu Omar was killed, Abu Bakr was made leader. That time we all had in Bucca became very important again.”

The deaths of Abu Omar al-Baghdadi and Abu Ayub al-Masri were a serious blow to Isis, but the roles they had vacated were quickly filled by the alumni of Camp Bucca – whose upper echelons had begun preparing for this moment since their time behind the wire of their jail in southern Iraq. “For us it was an academy,” Abu Ahmed said, “but for them” – the senior leaders – “it was a management school. There wasn’t a void at all, because so many people had been mentored in prison.

“When [the civil war in] Syria became serious,” he continued, “it wasn’t difficult to transfer all that expertise to a different battle zone. The Iraqis are the most important people on the military and Shura councils in Isis now, and that is because of all of those years preparing for such an event. I underestimated Baghdadi. And America underestimated the role it played in making him what he is.”

Abu Ahmed remains a member of Isis; he is active in the group’s operations in both Iraq and Syria. Throughout our discussions, he portrayed himself as a man reluctant to stay with the group, and yet unwilling to risk any attempt to leave.

Life with Isis means power, money, wives and status – all attractive lures for young firebrands with a cause - but it also means killing and dominating for a worldview in which he no longer believes so fervently. He said hundreds of young men like him, who were drawn to a Sunni jihad after the US invasion, do not believe that the latest manifestation of the decade-long war remains true to its origins.

Iraqi detainees sleeping outside their tents in Camp Bucca, Iraq. Photograph: David Furst/AFP/Getty Images
“The biggest mistake I made is to join them,” Abu Ahmed said, but added that leaving the group would mean that he and his family would certainly be killed. Staying and enforcing the group’s brutal vision, despite partially disavowing it, does not trouble Abu Ahmed, who sees himself as having few other options.

“It’s not that I don’t believe in Jihad,” he said. “I do,” he continued, his voice trailing away. “But what options do I have? If I leave, I am dead.”

The arc of his involvement with what is now the world’s most menacing terrorist group mirrors many others who now hold senior positions in the group: first a battle against an invading army, then a score to be settled with an ancient sectarian foe, and now, a war that could be acting out an end of days prophecy.

In the world of the Bucca alumni, there is little room for revisionism, or reflection. Abu Ahmed seems to feel himself swept along by events that are now far bigger than him, or anyone else.

“There are others who are not ideologues,” he said, referring to senior Isis members close to Baghdadi. “People who started out in Bucca, like me. And then it got bigger than any of us. This can’t be stopped now. This is out of the control of any man. Not Baghdadi, or anyone else in his circle.”

Martin Chulov covers the Middle East for the Guardian. He has reported from the region since 2005. Additional reporting by Salaam Riazk

shami
Unmasked: the man behind top Islamic State Twitter account - Channel 4 News

This article explains it better.

Isis: the inside story | Martin Chulov | World news | The Guardian

Nothing new though.

Good to see that the Shammar tribe in the Al-Jazira region between Syria and Iraq are cooperating. The Shammar tribe is one of the biggest tribes in Iraq and it yields a lot of power on the ground. Likewise in Western Syria.

The heartland of the Shammar tribe in KSA is in the ancient city of Ha'il (a very nice city btw) so they are not directly involved but if they did border the fighting they would be.

In case you did not know then the Syrian people did not rise up against a particular sect inside Syria but against a regime. Al-Assad's hideous regime.

Saddam's regime was full of loyal Shia's in similar positions (contrary to popular belief among non-Iraqis and non-Arabs) yet the majority of the Iraqi Shia Arab's were against the regime.

Oh, those people are largely without influence. Simply loyal tools for Al-Assad and old Ba'athi companions. Al-Assad and his family sits on the entire power and the Alawi minority still has more power compared to their total population in the army, state apparatus etc. than any other group in Syria.

Last edited:
In case you did not know then the Syrian people did not rise up against a particular sect inside Syria but against a regime. Al-Assad's hideous regime.
We rose up against Assad, not alawites. Also, just because they're Sunni, doesn't mean they practice. Just as al-Hasani Said, secular (!) Saddam had plenty of Shiites loyal to him.

Lol yeah, it isn't a sectarian revolution at all, that's why at the very first 'peaceful' days, people were chanting "Christians to Lebanon, Alawites to grave" in streets, that's all peaceful to me indeed.

Anyhow, from every single angle I look at different groups, they are sectarian up to their neck. I have seen hundreds of videos where they are chanting against Alawites as a sect, and how they are going to 'finish' them after they win. There is a reason that almost all minorities side with Assad, because on the other side, there are maniacs who won't stop until they wipe all 'infidels' from Syria, even if there are some 'moderates' lurking in between.

Lol yeah, it wasn't a sectarian revolution at all, that's why at the very first 'peaceful' days, people were chanting "Christians to Lebanon, Alawites to grave" in streets, that's all peaceful to me indeed.

Anyhow, from every single angle I look at different groups, they are sectarian up to their neck. I have seen hundreds of videos where they are chanting against Alawites as a sect, and how they are going to 'finish' them after they win. There is a reason that almost all minorities side with Assad, because on the other side, there are maniacs who won't stop until they wipe all 'infidels' from Syria, even if there are some 'moderates' lurking in between.

:lol:

Spare me the bullshit will you Farsi?

I didn't ask for your answer, you quoted me and got what you were asking for. ;)

A few chants here and there from people whose relatives were killed or hometowns carpet bombed is nothing. It's funny that you speak about sectarianism when that was not even the key of this uprising at all. It was political oppression, marginalization, isolation and the economic situation. That's how the "Arab Spring" started in case you don't know.

Secondly it's very funny that a Al-Assad regime supporter and Mullah supporter even dares to speak about sectarianism.

Come on.:lol:

In any case it seems that my correct points flew across your head.

A few chants here and there from people whose relatives were killed or hometowns carpet bombed is nothing. It's funny that you speak about sectarianism when that was not even the key of this uprising at all. It was political oppression, marginalization, isolation and the economic situation. That's how the "Arab Spring" started in case you don't know.

Secondly it's very funny that a Al-Assad regime supporter and Mullah supporter even dares to speak about sectarianism.

Come on.:lol:

In any case it seems that my correct points flew across your head.

You dare to talk about sectarianism when your country sent its forces to Bahrain to oppress 'agents of Iran' peacefully protesting? I have seen too many Arabs here who literally said all those Bahrainis protesting are terrorists and funded by Iran. And Iran entered Syrian conflict only after Arab countries funded and armed different groups, making situation only worse.

It was spring only for days, then it turned into a bloody winter right after your countries decided to arm different groups in Syria.
It wouldn't go this way only if you stayed out of Syria, even if 2000 were killed at the beginning, now 200,000 are dead and we have a collection of different garbage terrorists in Syria who want to establish their 'Khilafah'.

You don't stand on any higher moral value here, so don't talk like your country is spreading flowers across ME.

You dare to talk about sectarianism when your country sent its forces to Bahrain to oppress 'agents of Iran' peacefully protesting? I have seen too many Arabs here who literally said all those Bahrainis protesting are terrorists and funded by Iran. And Iran entered Syrian conflict only after Arab countries funded and armed different groups, making situation only worse.

It was spring only for days, then it turned into a bloody winter right after your countries decided to arm different groups in Syria.
It wouldn't go this way only if you stayed out of Syria, even if 2000 were killed at the beginning, now 200,000 are dead and we have a collection of different garbage terrorists in Syria who want to establish their 'Khilafah'.

You don't stand on any higher moral value here, so don't talk like your country is spreading flowers across ME.
Oh, so when its shiites rioting, they're peaceful protests, but when Sunnis protest, it's sectarian, violent, riots. Good logic there. And you're the one to call us sectarian.

You are the one crying about sectarianism. You are a Shia. Not me. KSA did not send any troops to Bahrain to suppress any locals. Those troops secured law and order. They never killed anyone.

Anyway you are a Farsi. You have no business in any internal Arab affairs nor do you understand any conflicts in that part of the world.

Nonsense. The Arab world has solely supported their fellow brothers ands sisters in Syria and not a mass-murdering dictator like your regime. It's also not the Syrian people that have carpet bombed entire cities and committed genocide on their own population but that's solely the work of the regime that your Mullah's support.

This is about Syria and about you writing nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom