What's new

Sylheti is a language on its own right.

Maithil is also a closely associated language;
Yes indeed, and if i were to add to the list, the Chakma language of NE India/CHT and their overall culture and traditions are very much similar to us.
I can assure Axomiya_lora, as one who spoke it better than Bengali after the age of 7, Nepali/Gorkhali is very easy; with a little concentration, he can pick it up. We need to know that Nepal is emphatically not mono-cultural, and there are Tibeto-Burmese languages spoken among some 'tribes' (clans?) that are called 'kura' - in normal Nepali, that corresponds
Much like my state, Nepal is also a multi ethnic and multicultural country, and Nepali the lingua franca of the tribes.

There are half a million of Indian indigenous Gorkha in Assam, and unlike the Nepalis in other parts of NE, here they are mostly integrated with our greater society. It is virtually impossible to distinguish a Gorkha from an Assamese for an outsider. Inter community marriage amongst us is very common, and they have seamlessly adopted the use of Assamese over many generations whilst retaining the use of their mother tongue too.

Understanding the language is easy but speaking proficiency is hard, more so when the Gorkhas use Assamese here.

Fascinating to note that there's so much in common amongst us language wise, inspite of the ethnic divide.

Yes indeed, and if i were to add to the list, the Chakma language of NE India/CHT and their overall culture and traditions are very much similar to us.

Much like my state, Nepal is also a multi ethnic and multicultural country, and Nepali the lingua franca of the tribes.

There are half a million of Indian indigenous Gorkha in Assam, and unlike the Nepalis in other parts of NE, here they are mostly integrated with our greater society. It is virtually impossible to distinguish a Gorkha from an Assamese for an outsider. Inter community marriage amongst us is very common, and they have seamlessly adopted the use of Assamese over many generations whilst retaining the use of their mother tongue too.

Understanding the language is easy but speaking proficiency is hard, more so when the Gorkhas use Assamese here.

Fascinating to note that there's so much in common amongst us language wise, inspite of the ethnic divide.

I really should not break my vow of silence, but this is too close to the heart.

In linguistic terms, if we look at the whole family of descendants of Magadhi/Kamrupi Prakrit as an aggregate, one can see a convex lens-shaped distribution, with the central axis running south-west (roughly Medinipur) to north-east (around Dibrugarh?). There is a wing to the north-west, Maithil, beyond that Nepali, but others are outliers; perhaps due to personal weakness, I tend to see Chatgaiya as an outlier. Otherwise, if we trace the dialectal changes, any area in this space can understand the speech of the contiguous area(s). The Gorkha speaking Assamese is an exception; they have been there for generations, and are really well-integrated into Assamese society, and only their surnames (sometimes) give them away. It is very difficult to explain to an outsider the ethnic composition of the Assam Rifles, for that reason.

What the Dhakaya - those speaking the Dhaka dialect - don't always understand is the discomfort that they cause neighbouring dialect-speakers; without going into the bunfight going on in this thread, it is good enough to point to the supercilious attitude of the west Bengali, totally unable to understand our rude, country dialect, until a good, swift kick in the pants brings sudden and near-total comprehension (they still can't speak it). Bhanu Kaka (Bhanu Bandyopadhyaya, a Bengali comedian) made a lifetime living out of these differences.

This discomfort is one of the reasons for this thread.

Speaking entirely for myself, and with malice fully intended, it would be nice if the Sylhetis could be given their own country, even, on condition, strict condition, that they never, ever commit cultural homicide, and offer their version of Mughlai food to unsuspecting westerners. I think they are confused people, and I think some of them are creating an identity crisis where there is no room for one, but that's all right. No dog in that fight.

@SylhetiBDeshiAmerican ,

Are bhai, let's keep our language within ourself. What exactly we are going to do with recognition from GoB? If we ask I dont think GoB will refuse to give Sylheti language separate status. But, we never bothered to do that since independence...

@jaibi Sir,

This thread is already turned off topic. Please, shut it down. There aren't much to discuss on this topic anyway!

@SylhetiBDeshiAmerican ,

Are bhai, let's keep our language within ourself. What exactly we are going to do with recognition from GoB? If we ask I dont think GoB will refuse to give Sylheti language separate status. But, we never bothered to do that since independence...

@jaibi Sir,

This thread is already turned off topic. Please, shut it down. There aren't much to discuss on this topic anyway!
Please kindly do not shut down this thread, more and more people are learning about Sylheti language and it’s rich history. Sylheti language obviously needs it’s recognition from GoB to protect it from extinction. Sylheti language along with its written form is also needs to be taught in Sylhet Division in Bangladesh along with Bengali. Otherwise 2-3 generation from now, Sylheti language will completely vanish like many other languages around the world which has gone extinct. Already many Sylheti words are being lost are being replaced. Thus, Sylheti people should ask GoB to recognize it as soon as possible.

I would appreciate your view on this @Michael Corleone as you’re one of the most rational person along with @UKBengali. Thanks

Do not talk about something upon which you have little understanding. Standard Bengali language is derived from dialect of greater Kushtia and Jessore region of Bangladesh and adjoining Nadia district of West Bengal. Spoken dialect of Kushtia and Jessore is almost same as standard Bengali which is not coincidence as during 19th century people form this region were advanced in education and cultural achievement and they used their dialect to write literature. Most of the people of Kolkata were migrants from this Nadia,Kushtia, Jessore belt as Kolkata was then the capital of Bengal and the hub of literature publication. Over time, their dialect and literature accepted as the standard form of Bengali for valid reason. The connection between Kolkata and standard Bengali language was thus established because of Kolkata's dominant migrant population of Kushtia-Jessore region. Standard Bengali language is not the original dialect of Kolkata, but from our very own Kushtia Jessore region and Bangladesh's own heritage.

During 19th century, some caste Hindus tried to forcibly Sanskritize Bengali language, but their attempt mostly failed. You should read the literature of Ishawar Chandra Gupta and will understand how far removed the modern Bengali language from that Sanskritized version. Farsi words still remain the most used foreign vocabulary within Bengali language.
I agree to most part of it with having reservation for Most of the people of Kolkata were migrants from this Nadia,Kushtia, Jessore belt as Kolkata..
Very few people of Kolkata did mihrated from Nadia,Kushtia, Jessore belt.
Ishawar Chandra Gupta was from a place almost 100km from Nadia belt and its a part of KMC.

I agree to most part of it with having reservation for Most of the people of Kolkata were migrants from this Nadia,Kushtia, Jessore belt as Kolkata..
Very few people of Kolkata did mihrated from Nadia,Kushtia, Jessore belt.
Ishawar Chandra Gupta was from a place almost 100km from Nadia belt and its a part of KMC.
I was talking about 19th century, not now or after 1947.

Please kindly do not shut down this thread, more and more people are learning about Sylheti language and it’s rich history. Sylheti language obviously needs it’s recognition from GoB to protect it from extinction. Sylheti language along with its written form is also needs to be taught in Sylhet Division in Bangladesh along with Bengali. Otherwise 2-3 generation from now, Sylheti language will completely vanish like many other languages around the world which has gone extinct. Already many Sylheti words are being lost are being replaced. Thus, Sylheti people should ask GoB to recognize it as soon as possible.

I would appreciate your view on this @Michael Corleone as you’re one of the most rational person along with @UKBengali. Thanks
I don’t think sylheti language will go extinct, modern sylhetis speak sylheti more than bangla and when they speak bangla, they usually switch to sylheti. I don’t see how a recognition will help save sylheti dialect as non sylhetis would not be Interested. Also regional dialects are respected under Bangladeshi law and there are campaigns to encourage use of regional dialect.

Still you guys didn't read Syed Mujtaba Ali, the great son of your soil and his views of your language. As I told earlier he was regarded as one of the great linguistics the subcontinent has ever seen.
Go through some more writings of Sukumar Sen and Suniti Chatterjee. You will get what you are looking for.
@Joe Shearer , you loved the wrting of Eaton I remember. You would love Bangla Islami sahitya from Sukumar Sen.

I was talking about 19th century, not now or after 1947.
Mr Gupta born on 1812.

I don’t think sylheti language will go extinct, modern sylhetis speak sylheti more than bangla and when they speak bangla, they usually switch to sylheti. I don’t see how a recognition will help save sylheti dialect as non sylhetis would not be Interested. Also regional dialects are respected under Bangladeshi law and there are campaigns to encourage use of regional dialect.
Yes Bengali would be the lingua Franca of the country, Sylheti language will only be a co-official language of the Sylhet division along with Bengali and and written and oral form would be taught in schools along with Bengali like how it is now. It is actually a language own it own right and not a dialect, and it needs recognition and protection otherwise it would go extinct. When govt support a language it flourishes and are preserved, otherwise second and third generation from now on will not use Sylheti oral form like it is happening now and many indigenous Sylheti words are being replaced. Any language would needs it’s written form to be taught and practiced and preserved need to be used everyday life for it to be protected, otherwise study shows languages vanished, goes extinct. Obviously Bengali would be official language of Bangladeshi state, but Sylheti language would only be the official language of Sylhet division along with Bengali in Bangladesh. So students in Sylhet division can only learn Sylheti language along with Bengali. Just the Sylhet Division in Bangladesh, other parts of Bangladesh actually speak different variant of Bangla so need to for Sylheti to be taught or practiced there. Only in Sylhet Division in Bangladesh.

Last edited:
Sylheti language along with its written form is also needs to be taught in Sylhet Division in Bangladesh along with Bengali.
Why Sylhet division? There is no standardize Sylheti language spoken all over the division. It varies with region to region like any other part of Bangladesh. This is not only limited to Sylhet region. In my district(Tangail) there are variation on how people speak in northern part of the district and southern part. In Bangladesh, every 50 km, dialect change. Within Sylhet division, people of Sunamganj district(part of Sylhet division) do not speak in Sylheti dialect. Their dialect is more closer to Mymensingh. None of the famous literate from Sunamganj ever used Sylheti dialect in their literature, not Hason Raja, not Baul Samrat Shah Abdul Karim. I am sure there are also variation in Habiganj district. I have noticed Sylhet and Moulovi bazar have similar dialect which you claim to be a separate language. People from this two district constitute the bulk of the diaspora Sylheti. Whether Sylheti is a separate language or a dialect of Bengali is a non issue in Bangladesh. You are trying to create a fissure where there is none. I do not remember any prominent Sylheti from Bangladesh or even from diaspora ever agitated to recognize it as a separate language. It is only a topic for a fringe group of Sylheti in UK and USA who are extremely alienated from both their mother country and adopted country. You seems to be one of them.

Last edited:
Why Sylhet division? There is no standardize Sylheti language spoken all over the division. It varies with region to region like any other part of Bangladesh. This is not only limited to Sylhet region. In my district(Tangail) there are variation on how people speak in northern part of the district and southern part. In Bangladesh, every 50 km, dialect change. Within Sylhet division, people of Sunamganj district(part of Sylhet division) do not speak in Sylheti dialect. Their dialect is more closer to Mymensingh. None of the famous literate from Sunamganj ever used Sylheti dialect in their literature, not Hason Raja, not Baul Samrat Shah Abdul Karim. I am sure there are also variation in Habiganj district. I have noticed Sylhet and Moulovi bazar have similar dialect which you claim to be a separate language. People from this two district constitute the bulk of the diaspora Sylheti. Whether Sylheti is a separate language or a dialect of Bengali is a non issue in Bangladesh. You are trying to create a fissure where there is none. I do not remember any prominent Sylheti from Bangladesh or even from diaspora ever agitated to recognize it as a separate language. It is only a topic for a fringe group of Sylheti in UK and USA who are extremely alienated from both the mother country and adopted country. You seems to be one of them.
As I have repeatedly stated in my posts, thus please kindly go back and read them to have a detailed answer, all linguists agree that Sylheti is a separate language own it own right, it is because many Sylheti people are unaware of it and newly formed Bangladesh erroneously declared it a dialect of Bengali instead of a Separate language own it own rights to create homogeneous society in Bangladesh, which is understandable as the country was newly formed and needed to create a strong national identity, but times had changed and Sylhetis are one of the most proud Bangladeshis you will find abroad. Now more and more people are realizing and are being aware its rich history and heritage; how it can be a dialect of Bengali when the Sylheti and Bengali is mutually unintelligible ? Slowly Sylheti people from Bangladesh (Not just Sylhet Division but all over from Bangladesh) are realizing about their lost written form as well. When language was erroneously declared dialect that’s where the damage was done so now most of the people are confused but those who study it carefully can tell. Many are learning about this language. It should be protected and preserved in Bangladesh it is part of a basic human rights, dignity and decency. No one language is superior than other, maybe one language has more usage and popularity, doesn’t it make it right to suppress the other language usage which you may not use it. No one would deny and suppress Bengali from being preserved for rest of the Bangladesh, so why suppress Sylheti language only. Is it because you don’t use that language and or not from Sylheti heritage in Bangladesh? whatever it is, no language is more superior than one another it doesn’t give anyone the liberty to suppress it and deny its existence, only a lingua Franca is needed which would be Bengali for commutation and admistrative work like how it Exist in Canada with French and English with French being used in French Canada only but has both as lingua Franca. It is like that in many other smaller nations around the world as well.
https://soasunion.org/activities/society/sylhetilanguagesoc/
https://www.soas.ac.uk/endangered-l...ebration-of-sylheti-culture-and-language.html
@UKBengali any thoughts you would like to add to answer his questions more precisely?

Last edited:
Didn't even know about the Sylhetis until I came across this thread. Thought BD was all Bengali with some ethnic Mongols with their distinctive culture in minority.

I would love to get my hands around your neck. Nothing personal.....

Yeah i was born yesterday. Not all of us are dumb hindutva turds.

I agree.

In your case, it is really unfair to use the words Hindutva and dumb.

@SylhetiBDeshiAmerican

You are partially correct.

As said by SylhetiBDeshiAmerican , without official recognition and the language being written down, then over many generations Sylheti will just get closer and closer to Bengali and then eventually it will become an extinct language.

Sylheti needs to be made an official language in BD and needs to be used in all settings in the division to preserve Sylhet's unique status in the BD union. One of the most important things is that Sylheti needs to be taught to schoolchildren in the division, including learning the Sylheti script.

I would love to get my hands around your neck. Nothing personal.....
I assure you, if you exclude the North Eastern regions, among the rest of India, 99% of Indians might not be knowing that there is a Sylheti language. I knew there was a region called Sylhet because BD has a domestic team named after it as also the BPL team.
Anyway, atleast something to learn from PDF apart from 'cow piss drinkers' lol.

Can just hear the voice at the start. Otherwise, there's just music throughout the video.

Could understand one line where she says "My husband works hard managing the garden" if I'm not wrong.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom