What's new

Sylheti is a language on its own right.

Yeah i was born yesterday. Not all of us are dumb hindutva turds.
What you saying?
Where he speak racial comment answer?
You are a racist yourself. And it is like joke because you living in white people country for money and say other people racist words

What you saying?
Where he speak racial comment answer?
You are a racist yourself. And it is like joke because you living in white people country for money and say other people racist words
Believe me friend, before i joined this forum had no feelings of animosity for the average BD citizen, in fact in my early days here engaged in fruitful discussions too with the likes of Homo Sapiens, ,Neptune, Mage etc.

Gradually the scene became clear, how they wish ill of my state, people and country. How can one be friends with such rabid hordes. As Nilgiri rightly says, these overseas Bangladeshis function as an echo chamber of disinformation. Probably, they are not the true representatives of their country.

Believe me friend, before i joined this forum had no feelings of animosity for the average BD citizen, in fact in my early days here engaged in fruitful discussions too with the likes of Homo Sapiens, ,Neptune, Mage etc.

Gradually the scene became clear, how they wish ill of my state, people and country. How can one be friends with such rabid hordes. As Nilgiri rightly says, these overseas Bangladeshis function as an echo chamber of disinformation. Probably, they are not the true representatives of their country.
Eku bujiye pua nasilu,, dictionary sai he bujilu.
Yes you right. This all site is like that only. I now thinking All Muslim here hate us because our religion different and they want control us but now they cannot.

Yes, it is.
Are Assamese, Nepali and Bengali related? I have heard Nepali when I watched Nepali cricket games (also had Nepali advertisements) on YT, I have heard Bengali as well (Bengali is actually quite common to hear) but I hadn't heard Assamese. But just reading the Assamese on this thread, I assume these 3 are related.

Last edited:
Are Assamese, Nepali and Bengali related? I have heard Nepali when I watched Nepali cricket games (also had Nepali advertisements) on YT, I had a Bengali colleague so I have heard Bengali as well (Bengali is actually quite common to hear) but I hadn't heard Assamese. But just reading the Assamese on this thread, I assume these 3 are related.
Assamese, Bengali and Odia originated from the same source. Odia differentiated much earlier and is considered as a classical language. The timeline of Assamese-Bengali seperation is hazy, based on some research it is said that Assamese developed earlier (some may deny). Assamese developed from the Kamrupi branch of the Prakrit and it has imbibed a significant chunk of words from our old Sutia-Deori language. Sylhet being a contiguous region of Assam(and being under our control prior to the Islamization and people from Bengal moving in) has more resemblance to Assamese.

Present day literary Assamese developed in Assam near my birth place and is the version we use mostly. Lower Assam language has minor tonal and words variation.

Script is mostly the same with a couple of differences. Most of us do understand Bengali in fact and converse in broken tidbits, however it is difficult for a Bengali from WB/BD to speak in Assamese. Other major language group here is the Bodo-Garo-Twipra family with lots of similarities amongst them.

Understand Nepali a bit, but struggle to speak.

Assamese, Bengali and Odia originated from the same source. Odia differentiated much earlier and is considered as a classical language. The timeline of Assamese-Bengali seperation is hazy, based on some research it is said that Assamese developed earlier (some may deny). Assamese developed from the Kamrupi branch of the Prakrit and it has imbibed a significant chunk of words from our old Sutia-Deori language. Sylhet being a contiguous region of Assam(and being under our control prior to the Islamization and people from Bengal moving in) has more resemblance to Assamese.

Present day literary Assamese developed in Assam near my birth place and is the version we use mostly. Lower Assam language has minor tonal and words variation.

Script is mostly the same with a couple of differences. Most of us do understand Bengali in fact and converse in broken tidbits, however it is difficult for a Bengali from WB/BD to speak in Assamese. Other major language group here is the Bodo-Garo-Twipra family with lots of similarities amongst them.

Very interesting. And what about Odia? Do you partially understand Odia and vice versa?

Your last name should be in banned words too :D
It's 'I' not 'L'.

Very interesting. And what about Odia? Do you partially understand Odia and vice versa?
Unfortunately no, may be around 10 pc of the words, but i think a Bengali would be able to understand more.

However, the creole languages of Nagaland and Arunachal, Nagamese and Nefamese respectively, have been derived from Assamese parent language and we have no problems understanding it or using for communication. In any case, the people of NL and AP speak good Hindi too..
It's 'I' not 'L'.
It is indeed a 'L'. It means a young male in Assamese, young at heart in my case!:-)

Lora as a suffix is commonly used, but if anyone is offended i am willing to change it. Not that any mod has ever complained about it.

Who was Iswar Chandra Gupta?
He was a Sanskit pandit, novelist, journalist. His literature is known for heavy Sanskrit tilt. He is NOT Ishwar Chandra Bidyasagar. They were quite different personality as well. While Bidyasagar was a great social reformer and a life long activist of Hindu widow remarriage. Ishwar Chandra Gupta opposed widow remarriage.

He was a Sanskit pandit, novelist, journalist. His literature is known for heavy Sanskrit tilt. He is NOT Ishwar Chandra Bidyasagar. They were quite different personality as well. While Bidyasagar was a great social reformer and a life long activist of Hindu widow remarriage. Ishwar Chandra Gupta opposed widow remarriage.

!!

The editor of Prabhakar?

You really know your stuff!

R E S P E C T.

I have read him in passing, almost accidentally, but the fleeting impression that I retain was not the one you have. It did not seem so Sanskrit-heavy as you described. Maybe it is a cultural filter, and once I can, don't know when that will be, I would like to read him again to see his writing from the perspective that you have given it.

Fascinating.

PS: I had allotted myself three days of introspection and of staying off line due to the horrible tragedy that took place, but your answer surprised me so much that I had to reach out to you and acknowledge your post.

Maithil is also a closely associated language; @Axomiya_lora has reported the Kamrupi branch of Prakrit, and that does not really conflict enormously with the earlier split between Suraseni Prakrit on the one hand and Magadhi Prakrit on the other, from which I understand from Axomiya_lora 's post Kamrupi Prakrit might be a sub-variant.

Maithil spoken slowly is easily comprehensible to any Bengali-speaker, more so for those speaking more or less western dialects, less easily for those speaking eastern dialects.

I can assure Axomiya_lora, as one who spoke it better than Bengali after the age of 7, Nepali/Gorkhali is very easy; with a little concentration, he can pick it up. We need to know that Nepal is emphatically not mono-cultural, and there are Tibeto-Burmese languages spoken among some 'tribes' (clans?) that are called 'kura' - in normal Nepali, that corresponds to speech, in the reference to dialects, it means the particular tribal language of the Magar, for instance (there are others as well). Nepal was originally the Kathmandu Valley, ruled by the Newars; the language that we call 'Nepali' today was then the language/dialect of the Gorkhas. An ethnic Nepalese can tell us more accurately. I might have slurred over some of the subtle differences, or have created some where none existed.

His use of Lora might cause misplaced humour among others, but it is a perfectly legitimate word, to my very limited knowledge; it corresponds to north Indian launda; a Punjabi or Haryanvi wouldn't even blink at it, a bhaiyya might stagger around in circles on hearing it. I personally feel it is his choice to use it in his ID, and we need not make a big deal of it, although to be honest, in the language of the Calcutta gutter, a variation (not the same, a variation) takes on uncomfortable nuances. One would not use that variant among middle-class women; working class women might screw up their mouths, or they might give back more than they think they are getting. Better for a Bengali to steer well clear, and fine for an Assamese to use.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom