What's new

Sylheti is a language on its own right.

Where you have found this ''BD union''? Bangladesh is not any union. It is a unitary state, not any union of states or provinces like federal states.

Technically you are correct but in practice BD is a union as Sylhet chose to join BD by referendum rather than a natural formation in 1947.

Sylhet is a very unique division in BD with a separate language, culture, geography etc.

I assure you, if you exclude the North Eastern regions, among the rest of India, 99% of Indians might not be knowing that there is a Sylheti language. I knew there was a region called Sylhet because BD has a domestic team named after it as also the BPL team.
Anyway, atleast something to learn from PDF apart from 'cow piss drinkers' lol.

This was a GOOD thread, although I couldn't participate freely.

Also, to clarify, there is ONE set of members who believe that there is a Sylheti language. Many others believe that it is one more dialect; in this, besides following @Axomiya_lora, just read the posts by @Homo Sapiens; between them, they provide a very good perspective from two points of view, and it rather nicely sums things up. That is NOT to say that what the OP claims is untrue; just that there are various opinions on the matter.

Can just hear the voice at the start. Otherwise, there's just music throughout the video.

Could understand one line where she says "My husband works hard managing the garden" if I'm not wrong.

To a speaker of Assamese, or the central Bangladeshi dialect, or, I suspect, equally to a person from Tangail, it is not excessively difficult to understand the general drift of things; it might not be possible to reproduce it, but it is possible to understand it.

People from other parts of India have to get it on board that the east is different; we are not people who speak Hindi with a bad accent.

Just edited this: we are not people who speak Hindi with a bad accent; we don't care to speak Hindi, but when we do, our accent is usually better than the way a Maharashtrian or a Gujarati murders the Hindi language.

This was a GOOD thread, although I couldn't participate freely.

Also, to clarify, there is ONE set of members who believe that there is a Sylheti language. Many others believe that it is one more dialect; in this, besides following @Axomiya_lora, just read the posts by @Homo Sapiens; between them, they provide a very good perspective from two points of view, and it rather nicely sums things up. That is NOT to say that what the OP claims is untrue; just that there are various opinions on the matter.

To a speaker of Assamese, or the central Bangladeshi dialect, or, I suspect, equally to a person from Tangail, it is not excessively difficult to understand the general drift of things; it might not be possible to reproduce it, but it is possible to understand it.

People from other parts of India have to get it on board that the east is different; we are not people who speak Hindi with a bad accent.

Just edited this: we are not people who speak Hindi with a bad accent; we don't care to speak Hindi, but when we do, our accent is usually better than the way a Maharashtrian or a Gujarati murders the Hindi language.
Even I sometimes understand Bengali. Just bits and pieces, words that are common with Sanskrit, the occasional English thrown in helps immensely. Same with Nepali and now I guess I can understand Assamese and Sylheti a bit as well. When I say understand, I'm hovering around the 5%-10% mark.

Sanskrit is the big player that has connected all these languages together I guess, along with variations of Prakrit.

Even I sometimes understand Bengali. Just bits and pieces, words that are common with Sanskrit, the occasional English thrown in helps immensely. Same with Nepali and now I guess I can understand Assamese and Sylheti a bit as well. When I say understand, I'm hovering around the 5%-10% mark.

Sanskrit is the big player that has connected all these languages together I guess, along with variations of Prakrit.

Prakrit predated Sanskrit. You know that, I hope. What we call Sanskrit is a codification done by Panini around 600 BC of Indo-Aryan, the language in which the Vedas were written. That original Vedic language evolved, and in due time, around the same time-frame, say, 800 to 700 BC, became what we call Prakrit - the natural tongue. Panini took the original version, the language of the Vedas, and cleaned it up; he got rid of many archaic verbs and nouns, and regularised grammatical usage. In the process, he used recursion - don't ask, it's a long story. It is interesting to know that he was perhaps born in Taxila, but did not necessarily write there. The language that he produced, the polished tongue, Sanskrit, resembled very closely the usage of the people of the Punjab-western UP region, the dominions of the Kuru-Panchal extended tribe. The usages that he excluded were those still being used by groups and individuals still to be found on the trail inwards, the Kamboja, the Parama Kamboja, the Uttara Kuru, and outliers like those.

Sanskrit had little to do with either Suraseni Prakrit, the western branch of Prakrit, that over time became the Punjabi, Rajasthani, Gujarati, Sindhi, Marathi, Hindi and other modern languages of the west of India, or Magadhi Prakrit and its branches, like the Kamrupi Prakrit that @Axomiya_lora referred to, that gave rise to the languages of the east.

Sanskrit had little to do with either Suraseni Prakrit, the western branch of Prakrit, that over time became the Punjabi, Rajasthani, Gujarati, Sindhi, Marathi, Hindi and other modern languages of the west of India, or Magadhi Prakrit and its branches, like the Kamrupi Prakrit that @Axomiya_lora referred to, that gave rise to the languages of the east.
You are doing blasphemy by saying this hehe. Wish @Andhadhun wasn't banned otherwise could have asked his opinion on this.

Yes Bengali would be the lingua Franca of the country, Sylheti language will only be a co-official language of the Sylhet division along with Bengali and and written and oral form would be taught in schools along with Bengali like how it is now. It is actually a language own it own right and not a dialect, and it needs recognition and protection otherwise it would go extinct. When govt support a language it flourishes and are preserved, otherwise second and third generation from now on will not use Sylheti oral form like it is happening now and many indigenous Sylheti words are being replaced. Any language would needs it’s written form to be taught and practiced and preserved need to be used everyday life for it to be protected, otherwise study shows languages vanished, goes extinct. Obviously Bengali would be official language of Bangladeshi state, but Sylheti language would only be the official language of Sylhet division along with Bengali in Bangladesh. So students in Sylhet division can only learn Sylheti language along with Bengali. Just the Sylhet Division in Bangladesh, other parts of Bangladesh actually speak different variant of Bangla so need to for Sylheti to be taught or practiced there. Only in Sylhet Division in Bangladesh.
If the people and government of sylhet wants it, they should lobby for it to become recognized

@SylhetiBDeshiAmerican

You are partially correct.

As said by SylhetiBDeshiAmerican , without official recognition and the language being written down, then over many generations Sylheti will just get closer and closer to Bengali and then eventually it will become an extinct language.

Sylheti needs to be made an official language in BD and needs to be used in all settings in the division to preserve Sylhet's unique status in the BD union. One of the most important things is that Sylheti needs to be taught to schoolchildren in the division, including learning the Sylheti script.

I dont think make it an official language is a good idea. It will complicate the unification process. In Indonesia we only have 1 official language which is Bahasa Indonesia. Even local administration must use Bahasa in their local administration. Despite so, local language may be taught in one of the subjects studied in primary school if local government want it. For instant there is Sundanese subject taught in primary school in West Java region. Many Javanese (Central/ East Java) in this forum are also able to use Javanese language.

If the people and government of sylhet wants it, they should lobby for it to become recognized
Yes I totally agree.

I dont think make it an official language is a good idea. It will complicate the unification process. In Indonesia we only have 1 official language which is Bahasa Indonesia. Even local administration must use Bahasa in their local administration. Despite so, local language may be taught in one of the subjects studied in primary school if local government want it. For instant there is Sundanese subject taught in primary school in West Java region. Many Javanese (Central/ East Java) in this forum are also able to use Javanese language.
I think this model can also work if implemented efficiently. But all Bangladeshis have strong unity and national identity, it would not be a issue now.

Technically you are correct but in practice BD is a union as Sylhet chose to join BD by referendum rather than a natural formation in 1947.

Sylhet is a very unique division in BD with a separate language, culture, geography etc.

Exactly, just because Sylhet joined Bangladesh and is proud to be part of Bangladesh. That doesn’t give it a merit to completely suppress its unique ethnolinguistic heritage within one national Bangladeshi identity union, government structure can always be amended and changed over time to make it more efficient.

Where you have found this ''BD union''? Bangladesh is not any union. It is a unitary state, not any union of states or provinces like federal states.
Please see my above post.

Last edited:
US Style Federalism is actually one of the best form of government, Our founding father created our government so no one branch of government is more powerful (Checks and Balances) and or dictatorial, Bangladesh is small, but it is not that small at all, many countries in the Middle East and South East Asia and Europe and America are a lot smaller. Finding a balanced and efficient form government and making amendments to better allocate resources, and implement taxation policy is not considered seccetionist, government structure needs continuous amendments and process improvements to efficiently govern, think of Government as a commercial company, business. As all companies improves their processes over time to better manage their company efficiently and maximize of profits and recourses. Continuous process improvements and reformation based on research and developments and to address past mistakes and inefficiency is the key. Decentralized government actually works the best to address those shortcomings. Bangladesh obviously need to better allocate and manage its government business efficiently. Even in a small state of Vermont, there 4 layers of government, State, city, county, and local jurisdictions; then there exist independent counties and cities within state as well. NYC also very very independent from the NYS when it comes to making policies that affects NYC citizens and allocating its resources. NYC is a lot smaller than the City of London. Gridlock in US federal government was deliberately created for rational debate and compromises. Many European states has similar type of government, Bangladeshi govt need to recognize Sylhet language ASAP and Declare it a co-official language of Sylhet division in Bangladesh and that is one the biggest grievance a large section of Bangladeshi Sylhetis have as many people from Other parts of the Bangladesh erroneously look down upon Sylheti language without realizing it is not a dialect but a language own its own right

And this video addresses US Federal government structure only:

Also pure Democracy do not work as our founding father did not want majoritarian tyranny like it exists in India and the views @Homo Sapiens espouses. that is why our founding father created electoral college:

Why Sylhet division? There is no standardize Sylheti language spoken all over the division. It varies with region to region like any other part of Bangladesh. This is not only limited to Sylhet region. In my district(Tangail) there are variation on how people speak in northern part of the district and southern part. In Bangladesh, every 50 km, dialect change. Within Sylhet division, people of Sunamganj district(part of Sylhet division) do not speak in Sylheti dialect. Their dialect is more closer to Mymensingh. None of the famous literate from Sunamganj ever used Sylheti dialect in their literature, not Hason Raja, not Baul Samrat Shah Abdul Karim. I am sure there are also variation in Habiganj district. I have noticed Sylhet and Moulovi bazar have similar dialect which you claim to be a separate language. People from this two district constitute the bulk of the diaspora Sylheti. Whether Sylheti is a separate language or a dialect of Bengali is a non issue in Bangladesh. You are trying to create a fissure where there is none. I do not remember any prominent Sylheti from Bangladesh or even from diaspora ever agitated to recognize it as a separate language. It is only a topic for a fringe group of Sylheti in UK and USA who are extremely alienated from both their mother country and adopted country. You seems to be one of them.
You views belong to fringe ideology that has no place in 21st century, those were ideologies of 1950’s where newly formed countries suppressed minorities languages, cultures to bring about ethnic homogenioty, purity glad times have changed and world has become more civilized, you can be from different ethnolingual bakgrdound than the majority of the population from any nation state, that doesn’t make you less Patriotic and less Bangladeshi. You do not define anything. Also your language and majority language of a nation state maybe widely used and be utilized in Administration more be more dominant, doesn’t mean other language who belong to minority groups are not as important, doesn’t mean those languages do not merit the same respect. You sound like a fringe ethnofascist which is also against Islamic virtues and humanity as well.

You cannot forcibly make people something they do not identify as. they can be a proud Bangladeshi National and also be from a different ethno-lingual background in Bangladesh. In fact this is what Myanmari military terrorist regime has done against minority Muslims rohingyas, denying their religious liberty, and ethnolingual heritage and falsely calling them Bengalis instead of Rogingyas to further their genocide and ethnic cleansing ideology. Look at the RSS menace and their majoritarian tyranny against Muslim minority in India as well.

Everything in life has exceptions, doesn’t mean it will happen, and Most Bangladeshis now have a strong national identity, this would be a better way to manage resources, one or 2 percent of voters do not alter anything. So this also doesn’t gives you the merit to take away the best form of government structure a nation, state it can offer to it citizens, residents for their well being and life, liberty and pursuit of happiness because of your supposed fear, rules are made based on research and well being and rationality, not on fear-mongering. When you respect and provide good living standards and better alternative for your citizens they would never revolt and seek secession. Why would people do something if they are happy with their government and all aspect of their lives? Here is the key point: when you provide the best alternatives, citizens will be informed and make the right choices based on their attachment and familiarity. Respecting and meeting citizen’s living standard and needs and providing them with a healthy economy and opportunities and liberty and where they can pursue their happiness is the key here.

Last edited:
@SylhetiBDeshiAmerican

While I fully support Sylheti becoming one of the official languages in BD, I do not think any US style federal system is a good idea.

BD's better economic success in the region so far has come about because it is the only unitary state out of the 3 large S Asian countries. Look at all the countries in Asia like Korea and Taiwan that have become economically successfully and one of the main reasons is that they are homogenous and unitary states.

We just need to look over the border to India to see why federal system would be a very very bad move. I know BD is far more homogenous than India and even Pakistan, but it would get some of the same issues.

Sylhetis only want full recognition of Sylheti so that our language can be preserved within BD forever. There is no need for anything else as Sylhetis are fully part of BD in every way and even that useless FM Momen is Sylheti, although he is an embarrassment to Sylhetis and BD'shis in general whenever he opens his mouth.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom