What's new

Support your Military in its finest hour

Xestan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Support your military in its finest hour

0_65_pakistan1_320.jpg

Umar Waqar (Writer is an A-levels student)

Of late, the Pakistan Army has been receiving deleterious flak of criticism from ‘friends’ and foes alike. I will not go into details as this charade of criticism is so loud, painful and unending that it appears there is nothing positive left to discuss about our defence forces, and as if they are some aliens from another planet. It also appears that the critics do not realise that Pakistan is in a state of war. Just to remind our readers, we are in the 21st century where the nature of war has transformed, where no formal declarations are made by governments, and where you can watch the miseries of war live from your cushy drawing rooms. If in doubt, please look at the gory pictures and videos being released from Libya, Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

One of the SMSs received from frontlines reads: “You may criticise me and Pak Army for everything that has gone wrong in this country, but please don’t abuse my mother, who sent me to fight for the cause of this beautiful land we call Pakistan, who sent me to face the bullets on my chest and not on my back, who sent me to remain awake the whole night so that you can sleep without fear, who sent me to bear the brunt of bone chilling and freezing cold so that you can criticize me and my commanders in your cushy drawing rooms over a cup of hot coffee or a bucket full of ice cream, who sent me to keep the star and crescent fluttering on the rugged mountains of FATA and Kashmir so that you could sing the songs of Aman ki Asha with Indian tricolour adoring your TV screens, she sent me to watch my comrades lay their lives and satiate the Pak land with pure red blood so that you could celebrate your son’s graduation from an American university over a cup of pure red wine, she sent me to receive my coffin wrapped in the Green Flag so that you could stash your Swiss accounts with millions of dollars…..” The SMS, not fully reproduced here for the sake of space, says a lot on our plight and perceptions; it highlighted the anti-Pakistan Army charade and sinister media campaign against the pillars of our strength have started affecting the minds of our soldiers and their commanders.

Coming back to the question of the state of war, this long war which was imposed on Pakistan has lasted for a decade now. We are fighting hidden enemies and fifth columnists; our citizens, defence institutions and installations have been directly and indirectly attacked, and the Pak Army, along with other services and ISI, has borne the brunt of this war and continues to do so. The war seems to be leading to its logical conclusion, with the US packing up and retreating; as part of the end game, Pakistan and its defence forces have to be punished for two reasons: One, being allies with the US, and second, understanding the sinister designs of the US-India-Israel troika and defending the country. So, it will continue for some time.

What do you do with your military commanders and soldiers in a state of war – indeed, provide unflinching and unwavering support. Imagine the mental state of Churchill, General Montgomery and Eisenhower and the allied soldiers in World War II, if they were criticised every day from 1939 to the turn of tide in 1944 (those were the days when Churchill, even thought of fighting the Axis from far-flung British colonies and continental US, as the fall of British Islands seemed imminent), I am sure the allies would have crumbled before the might of Adolf Hitler. The British and American leadership and the media did not ask for commissions to probe every failure on part of their commanders. If you look at the list of reverses suffered by the allied commanders between 1939 and 1944, you may be amazed at the patience and perseverance of their governments and people. Churchill called this period of the Battle of Britain as ‘Their Finest Hour’ and the entire British nation stood like a rock behind their military.

Whereas I firmly believe that Pakistan defence forces and ISI are passing through their ‘Finest Hour’ (you may disagree with me), I would request all and sundry, including media critics, to read the SMS message from the soldiers and officers fighting on our frontlines and giving lives for this wonderful country.

They should spare the defenders of Pakistan for the time being, and let history decide if they found their finest hour in this long war - a war where foes attack you from all sides and ‘friends’ clad in smart attires (and posing as well wishers of Pakistan) gnaw at your roots, laugh at every move you make and blast your defenders in every talk show.

Support your military in its finest hour | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Writer seems to think the critique is only coming from Cushy drawing rooms..
its coming from everywhere..
From Cushy drawing rooms to Floor Mattresses with 18 hour power outages.
During the battle of Britain the RAF and other arms performed admirably...
british high command shared the burden with their men...
And the national leadership had a coherent strategy.

As if there are no Cushy drawing rooms in Army households..

Although I have seen some Army folks keep the same furniture Mr and Mrs Fauji received at their wedding, right upto retirement.
Its when some of these folks get a star or two when their brains seem to get inverted.
Mrs Fauji's that survived on wicker furniture and a rickety gate as a Captain suddenly decides she wants Grohe fittings..

The critique is for that 5% in the army that make it to the top through sycophancy and deceit. Then spend their last 6 years giving the rest of the officers and men a bad name.

I would need to think from the level of a A level student !!

Instincts are hard to pin point. Where the come from, psychologically, at least I don't know.
Long being critical of the Pakistani army higher ups--in my graduation informal 'year book' in early 90s, I wrote that I hate the Pakistani Army generals most, thanks to Zia--but I can now sense there is attempt to weaken Pakistan by targeting its military and its intelligence agencies. This conclusion is informed by the instincts--but perhaps more than just instincts.
I refuse to believe the American-sponsored global narrative that Pakistani military and intelligence agencies have any soft corner for the likes of terrorist organizations Al Qaida. In fact, I have seen more evidence that the terrorists have targeted top-most military officials when they could.

I think Pakistani and American interests in Afghanistan are in conflict, right now, thanks to the India factor. India being the favored American player in the region. So Americans are trying very hard to make Pakistanis give up what is considered by the Pakistani military as strategic interests in Afghanistan: Denying India the strategic reach by establishing a strategic depth. For that position, against relentless media onslaught, the generals of Pakistan have taken a lot of crap--and the crap comes from the American media; the dominance of that media makes it the dominant narrative. But not always the 'truth'. If today, inspired by the Obama administration, the dominant media starts portraying Pakistan more as victim of terrorism than a weak state unable to handle so many fronts at the same time then the dominant narrative in the world would change.

To the military and ISI of Pakistan: Hold fast. Some of us--even we liberals-- can see through the foreign ploy. We want you to restrict your role to defending the country. NO Politics. No more political machinations. But we also see why you do what you do in some policies. No amount of media noise can make us cloud our reasoning. Only reason and logic can make us make conclusions.

Have seen this boy attending National Media Workshop at Islamabad,is quite talented and has much better grasp of strategic trends affecting Pakistan then many oldies who appear on Talk shows,regularly writes for The Nation newspaper and I think this is his 7th or 8th article in last one year.You don't have to be a PhD to express truth.

Yes the sentiments are laudable, especially coming from a young person. But really, the "finest" hour? Isn't calling this particular "hour" the "finest" an insult? Beware of false self-esteem. It will not get you where you need to go .........

Difficult times for Pakistan,so difficult to pass a judgement,I think the underlining message by this boy is not to brag about self esteem but feel the pain and anguish about what is going on in this country.Can we come out of current crises with bickering and blame game,or do we need to show a resolve and unite for a common cause.I am an optimist and still see light at the end of this long tunnel,Pakistan will(Inshallah) come out of this Long War with flying colors.
On finest hour,it does not have to be peaceful and glorious,remember Battle of Britain was a tough period for the British public and leadership,Hitler's forces were leaning on the English Channel,there were daily and devastating raids on British Islands,food shortages and power shortages were common and the RAF had to fight it tooth and nail to achieve some parity with the Luftwaffe. It took them three and a half year to turn the tide,during this period,the Allied suffered losses at every front from Operation Torch to Sicily fiasco and loss of Scandinavia,Dutch East indies,Malaya and Singapore.Had it not been Hitler's blunder, British Expeditionary Force would have been routed at Dunkirk(mind you these were the forces which later took part in Normandy Landings).Aim is not to give a lecture in history but to clear a perspective.:pakistan:

The critique is for that 5% in the army that make it to the top through sycophancy and deceit. Then spend their last 6 years giving the rest of the officers and men a bad name.

Very well put.

Applicable to a lot more places than the PA.

Let of talk of this 5% business,it is generalization and stereotyping,recent scandals in Indian Military where three star generals were charged with corruption and womanizing does that imply that entire Indian Army officer corps is immoral,so the black sheep are every where and should be made accountable. You and me live in South Asia where corruption and immorality is rampant,look at survey of your lawmakers,I think 40% of members of Lok Sabha have either been convicted by Indian Courts or are waiting disposal for criminal charges including murder and rape,so no body is an angel here.
We have dealt with you in last 1000 years and will continue to do so.Happy reading.
:pakistan:

In a democracy the soldiers are your brothers, and fellow citizens. The Military should never be above criticism, but they are YOU...and deserve your support

I love Pak military but not those black sheeps who are either "bikay hue" or "taliban sympathaizers", I hate these both types from the core of my heart.

25-Jun-2011

سپریم کمانڈر

چلیں اچھا ہوا بالآخر افواج پاکستان کے سپریم کمانڈر صدر آصف علی زرداری کچھ تو آرمڈ فورسز کے دفاع میں بولے۔ اگر وہ بینظیر بھٹو کی سالگرہ کی تقریب سے خطاب کرتے ہوئے صرف شہید کی سیاسی صفات ، ورثہ ، قوم اور افواج پاکستان کی دہشت گردی کے خلاف عظیم قربانیوں پرہی صرف لب کشائی کرتے تو کیا ہی اچھا ہوتا مگر انہوں نے تو نوازشریف پر مضحکہ خیز انداز میں ذاتی حملے کر کے اپنا اصل مقصد ہی کھو دیا اور سیاست کی گند میں پڑ گئے جس سے یہ تقریر سپریم کمانڈر کی نہیں بلکہ ایک سیاستدان کی لگی جو اپنے سیاسی حریف پر حملوں پر مشتمل تھی۔ سوائے امریکہ اور اس کے اتحادیوں کے ہر کوئی دہشت گردی کے خلاف جنگ میں پاکستانی قوم اور افواج کی عظیم شہادتوں کا قائل ہے اور یہ کہنے میں تامل محسوس نہیں کرتا کہ اتنا جانی اور مالی نقصان کسی بھی قوم یا ملک نے اس جنگ میں نہیں اٹھایا۔ مگر صدر زرداری نے سیاست کو درمیان میں لاکر ان قربانیوں کو دھندلا کر دیا۔ ان کا نواز شریف پر یہ الزام کہ وہ جرنیلوں اور سپاہیوں کے درمیان لڑائی کرانا چاہتے ہیں بے جا اور نا مناسب ہے کیونکہ نون لیگ کے سربراہ کو کچھ بھی کہہ لیں وہ آخری سیاستدان ہوں گے جو افواج پاکستان میں ایسی لڑائی اور افراتفری چاہیں گے بلکہ ان کی تو ساری تنقید ہی ان چند جرنیلوں جن میں اکثر گھر جاچکے ہیں پرہے جو سیاست میں ملوث ہوتے ہیں۔

انہوں نے ایجنسیوں کی سیاست میں مداخلت ، سیاسی جماعتوں کو بنانے اور توڑنے اور حکومتیں بنانے اور گرانے کے خلاف علم بلند کیا ہوا ہے۔ یہ سب پاکستانیوں کی خواہش ہے کہ افواج پاکستان اپنا وہی کام کریں جو آئین کہتا ہے۔سیاست سے دور رہیں اور یہ کام سیاستدانوں کو ہی کرنے دیں جن میں یقیناً آصف علی زرداری بھی شامل ہیں۔ صدر زرداری کی نوڈیرو میں تقریر چاہے کسی پاکستانی کو پسند آئی ہو یا نہ آئی ہو امریکہ کے دل کو ضرور لبھائی ۔ اس تقریر کے ایک دن بعد ہی صدر اوباما نے آصف زرداری کو فون کیا جس میں انہوں نے باقی باتوں کے علاوہ دہشت گردی کے خلاف جنگ میں پاکستان کے کردار کوسراہا۔ اوباما کو یہ بات بڑی پسند آئی کہ صدر زرداری نے انہیں بتایا کہ دہشت گردی کے خلاف جنگ ہماری ہے جو قومی مفاد کے حصول تک جاری رہے گی تاہم اس کا کوئی ٹائم فریم نہیں کہ کب تک پاکستانی اس جنگ کی بھینٹ چڑتے رہیں گے۔ ہو سکتا ہے کہ امریکہ کے پالیسی سازوں کے ذہن میں ہو کہ وہ کب تک دہشت گردی کا خاتمہ کر دیں گے مگر صدر زرداری کا ذہن اس بارے میں بالکل خالی ہے بلکہ وہ تو سری لنکا میں 40 سال تک جاری رہنے والی جنگ کا حوالہ دیتے ہیں حالانکہ دونوں جنگوں میں زمین آسمان کا فرق ہے۔ سری لنکا کی جنگ میں فریقین کو ایک دوسرے کا علم تھا مگر دہشت گردی کی جنگ میں تو دشمن چھپا ہوا اور لاتعداد ہے۔

ہمیشہ سے ہمارے سپریم کمانڈر پر سخت تنقید ہوتی رہی ہے کہ جب بھی مختلف وجوہات کی بنا پر افواج پاکستان سخت دباؤ میں ہوتی ہیں، چاہے وہ ایبٹ آباد کا واقعہ ہو یا پی این ایس مہران پر دہشت گردی تو صدر زرداری اپنی آئینی ذمہ داری پوری نہیں کرتے اور چپ کا روزہ رکھ لیتے ہیں اور یہ وہ جان بوجھ کر کرتے ہیں۔ یہ تنقید بلاجواز نہیں۔ جب پوری قوم اور افواج پاکستان امریکی کمانڈوز کے ایبٹ آباد میں حملے کی وجہ سے سخت صدمے میں تھے تو بجائے اس کے صدر کچھ ایسے بول بولتے جس سے وہ اس ہیجانی کیفیت سے باہر آتے انہوں نے امریکی اخبار میں مضمون لکھ مارا جس میں پاکستان کی خودمختاری پر امریکی حملے کی مزمت کی بجائے اس بات کی تعریف کی گئی کہ دنیا کی سب سے بڑی برائی کا خاتمہ کردیا گیا ہے۔ یہ قوم کے زخموں پر نمک چھڑکنے کے مترادف تھا۔ اس طرح وہ کراچی کے نیول بیس پر دہشت گردی پر بھی بالکل خاموش رہے نہ صرف یہ بلکہ سپریم کمانڈر نے اپنے پونے تین سالہ دور میں ابھی تک افواج پاکستان کی کسی تقریب میں شرکت نہیں کی اور نہ ہی جی ایچ کیو کا دورہ کیا ہے۔ کسی بھی ایٹمی تنصیب کا دورہ تو بڑی دور کی بات ہے۔

پیپلزپارٹی کے سرکردہ رہنما تو بڑے خوش نظر آتے رہے ہیں کہ اچھا ہوا کہ افواج پاکستان اپنی غلطیوں کی وجہ سے سخت عوامی دباؤ میں آگئی ہیں اور وہ اب اس پوزیشن میں نہیں کہ حکومت کو غیر مستحکم کر سکیں۔ جوں جوں آرمی جرنیلوں پر سخت عوامی دباؤ بڑھتا رہا اور تنقیدکے تیر داغے جاتے رہے حکومت یا پیپلزپارٹی کے کسی بھی رہنما نے افواج پاکستان کے دفاع میں کھل کر دو بول نہیں بولے جس سے آرمڈ فورسز سخت اضطراب کا شکار ہوئیں کہ یہ کیسی حکومت ہے جو قومی اداروں کا دفاع نہیں کررہی۔ مگر دوسری طرف حکومت اور پیپلزپارٹی مطمئن تھی کہ اچھا ہوا کہ افواج پر دباؤ پڑا۔ ایبٹ آباد کے 2 مئی کے واقعے کی وجہ سے جو سخت تنقید افواج پاکستان پر ہوئی پہلے کبھی سننے میں نہیں آئی۔ مگر حکومت خاموش تماشائی رہی جب صدر زرداری بولے تو چھپڑ پھاڑ کر بولے مگر انہوں نے اس میں سیاست کو ملا کر اصل بات کا اثر ہی زائل کر دیا۔صدر زرداری کی تقریر نے پاکستان کی سیاست اور پیپلزپارٹی کی تاریخ کو ایک نیا رنگ دے دیا ہے۔ اس انداز میں صدر کا افواج پاکستان کا دفاع ان کے اپنے ہی الفاظ جو انہوں نے کم از کم تین بار مختلف موقعوں پر سندھ میں ادا کئے، کی سریحاً نفی کرتا ہے۔

سپریم کمانڈر ہونے کے باوجود وہ کھل کر پاک فوج پر تنقید کرتے رہے ہیں بلکہ انہوں نے تو یہاں تک کہہ دیا تھا کہ اسٹیبلشمنٹ انہیں حکومت نہیں کرنے دے رہی اور سازشوں میں ملوث ہے تاکہ اسے کمزور رکھا جائے۔ مزیداری کی بات ہے کہ اسی جگہ صدر نے پینترا بدلا اور افواج کا دفاع کیا۔ تاریخی طور پیپلزپارٹی اور فوج کے درمیان سخت بدگمانیاں اور بداعتمادی رہی ہے مگر نوازشریف روایتی طور پر فوج کے حلیف رہے ہیں۔ تاہم اب پیپلزپارٹی ایک پکّی پرواسٹیبلشمنٹ جماعت بن کر ابھری ہے جو بہت سے لوگوں کیلئے ناقابل یقین ہے اور نواز شریف بہت بڑے اینٹی اسٹیبلمشنٹ لیڈر بن گئے ہیں۔ نون لیگ کے سربراہ کی اصولی سیاست اور جمہوریت سے محبت نے ہی صدر زرداری کو فوج کے قریب کر دیاہے۔ انہوں نے جو لب ولہجہ آرمی جرنیلوں کے بارے میں اختیار کیا ہوا ہے نہیں لگ رہا کہ عنقریب وہ فوج کے قریب ہوسکیں گے۔

ان کا یہ موقف کہ ایبٹ آباد اور پی این ایس مہران کے واقعات کے ذمہ داروں کا تعین ہونا چاہئے اور انہیں سزا ملنی چاہئے یقیناً کسی طرح بھی افواج پاکستان کو پسند نہیں بلکہ فورسز کی تو یہ توقع تھی کہ اس مشکل وقت میں سب سیاستدان اس کے دفاع میں یک آوازہوں گے اور ان کی حوصلہ افزائی کریں گے جبکہ نوازشریف نے تو بالکل الٹی لائن لی ہوئی ہے۔ صدر زرداری جارحانہ انداز میں نون لیگ کے سربراہ پر تنقید کرنے اور ان کا تمسخر اڑا کر اس بات پر اپنی خوشی کا اظہار کر رہے تھے کہ دیکھو میاں صاحب جس اسٹیبلشمنٹ کے تم بڑے پسندیدہ تھے وہ آج تم سے بہت دور ہے اور میرے ساتھ ہے یہ صرف میری سیاسی دانشمندی کی وجہ سے ہوا ہے لہذا مجھے اپنا سیاسی گرو مان لو۔ شاید صدر زرداری نے نوازشریف پر ذاتی حملے ان کی فوج پر تنقید کی وجہ سے نہیں کئے بلکہ انہیں تو اصل جھٹکا نون لیگ کے سربراہ کی آزادکشمیر کے انتخابات میں تقاریر سن کر لگا جس میں وہ بار بار کہہ رہے ہیں کہ آصف زرداری نے لوٹ مار کا بازار گرم کیا ہوا ہے اور روزانہ کھربوں روپے لوٹے جا رہے ہیں۔

طارق بٹ

سپریم کمانڈر

the army should not be criticized as an institution , rather the generals or the few individuals who are giving this proud institution a bad name should be criticized. I remember the time when my father a Lt Col went to my village. Two years back, and still, there is a lot of respect for the army in these areas. everybody says ' o jee karnal sagab agaye ' and there happiness all around. Officers used to proudly wear their uniforms in the public areas and shopping centres and got loads of respect. But now, while my uncle goes to his office, he wears a jacket above his uniform, and those are orders. Officers now wear their uniform only at the unit and while commuting, change it. What has happened in these much years?????,,,,,,,,poor political climate and the US have successfully shifted the blame for failures in the internal situation of the country adn the failures in iraq and afghanistan squarely on the shoulders of the army and ISI,,,,,,,,,some body tell me is there any proof whatsoever that saleem shehzad was killed by the ISI???,,,,yet still hamid mir and the media and barking out loud that the ISI is the culprit.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom