What's new

Su-30MKI Production line.

How many MKIs have been produced so far? I think > 200 are in service
right now. I read somewhere IAF got 31 MKIs this year (from both domestic production + a batch received
from Russia as replacement of a couple of early Su-30MKs that were sent back after MKI production
ramped up).

I doubt... them to be anywhere near this.

AIR_F-22_Production_Line_lg.jpg

Yet.

When will hal have such a production line :woot:

This also depends on demand... (for example US manufactured 4,500+ F-16).
If India has such a demand, its wont be difficult to get infrastructure like that.

This is one of the reason why European military hardware is expensive... we try to maintain similar or may be superior (in same case) - production line, work environment and infrastructure. So price goes up.

right now. I read somewhere IAF got 31 MKIs this year (from both domestic production + a batch received
from Russia as replacement of a couple of early Su-30MKs that were sent back after MKI production
ramped up).

I don't think 200... too big Number.. more realistic would be 160-170 considering the changes being made to production lines for Super Su30MKI.

Within the decade for sure- 10s of BILLIONS are being spent on the industery in the next 10 years and with ToT and collaboration from abroad it is a given that India will soon have such production lines- it is natural progression. Just as ISRO started out in a Church using cow sheds as labs to where it is now, HAL is also devloping and moving foreward.

ramped up).

yes, no. of MKIs we have in service is a doubt i always had, some say 130s some say 160s, the recent thread on PDF said nearly 200, i also has doubt on the no.of MKIs we manufacture each year, i think we started with a very less no. per year to may be a squadron strength now, initial orders of 230 MKIs have to be finished by 2015 (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/india-to-have-230-sukhoi-su-30s-by-2015-329424/, 3 years earlier than earlier schedule of 2018 with super sukhois to be inducted thereafter) so my guess would be that we have around 170 sukhois (if HAL makes 20/year than in next two it will make 40 + additional from Russia itself of the 2007 order). Does anyone have a link for this??

yes, no. of MKIs we have in service is a doubt i always had, some say 130s some say 160s, the recent thread on PDF said nearly 200, i also has doubt on the no.of MKIs we manufacture each year, i think we started with a very less no. per year to may be a squadron strength now, initial orders of 230 MKIs have to be finished by 2015 (India to have 230 Sukhoi Su-30s by 2015, 3 years earlier than earlier schedule of 2018 with super sukhois to be inducted thereafter) so my guess would be that we have around 170 sukhois (if HAL makes 20/year than in next two it will make 40 + additional from Russia itself of the 2007 order). Does anyone have a link for this??
HAL makes 21 per year acc. to this report:
Russian Media Says--United States Next Year Will Replace Russia As India’s Largest Arms Importer ~ ASIAN DEFENSE
Initially it was 14.
HAL has delivered 99 Sukhois:
Desi Sukhoi does supersonic ballet on debut - South India - Karnataka - ibnlive

BTW acc. to SIPRI Russia has delivered 28 of the 40 MKI's under 2007 contract by Dec 2011/Jan 2012.
The remaining 12 will be delivered this year.

This is the delivery log:
2010:14 MKI's delivered by Irkut.
2011:14 MKI's delivered by Irkut.
2012:12 MKI's to be delivered by Irkut.

HAL makes 21 per year acc. to this report:
Russian Media Says--United States Next Year Will Replace Russia As India’s Largest Arms Importer ~ ASIAN DEFENSE
Initially it was 14.
HAL has delivered 99 Sukhois:
Desi Sukhoi does supersonic ballet on debut - South India - Karnataka - ibnlive

BTW acc. to SIPRI Russia has delivered 28 of the 40 MKI's under 2007 contract by Dec 2011/Jan 2012.
The remaining 12 will be delivered this year.

This is the delivery log:
2010:14 MKI's delivered by Irkut.
2011:14 MKI's delivered by Irkut.
2012:12 MKI's to be delivered by Irkut.

Is there any cue to know by when the order for all 272 ac will be completed?

FUNNY! MKI is our AF's leading aircraft and we don't know how many there are
exactly But maybe it's a good thing we don't know:coffee:

This also depends on demand... (for example US manufactured 4,500+ F-16).
If India has such a demand, its wont be difficult to get infrastructure like that.

This is one of the reason why European military hardware is expensive... we try to maintain similar or may be superior (in same case) - production line, work environment and infrastructure. So price goes up.

I don't think 200... too big Number.. more realistic would be 160-170 considering the changes being made to production lines for Super Su30MKI.

Within the decade for sure- 10s of BILLIONS are being spent on the industery in the next 10 years and with ToT and collaboration from abroad it is a given that India will soon have such production lines- it is natural progression. Just as ISRO started out in a Church using cow sheds as labs to where it is now, HAL is also devloping and moving foreward.

It's all simple economics and about how much capital you need to invest on supplychain production line setup, tools, jigs, fixtures and equipments.

Big question is what is the rate of production you want and does production requirements justifies investment.

Picture of F22 production line posted is flow line where aircraft move (like automoible prod lines) one station to other and assembly process is broken down to small and repeatable steps. This setup has it's own advantage e.g. one line can produce faster, better quality control (easy to monitor quality of small steps), less error prone (baby steps), but you need more startup/ setup capital and very detailed plannnig.

Previously (late 90s) HAL was using traditional work cell arrangement where aircraft under assembly remains stationary and a group of people work on it till completion of of aircraft. There are lots of changes happened in last one decade, production/ assembly efficiency has improved a bit with major boost on quality. There has been lot of empsasis given to beter visual management, lean, six sigma and 5S.

Bottom line ... if HAL can meet set schedule and produce consistantly good quality aircrafts we do not need to be too much fussy about fancy lights and shiny epoxy floor.

Back
Top Bottom