What's new

Study Finds Pakistanis Among World's Most Carnivorous Nations

What a misleading thread title from Riaz uncle, although that's kind of expected of him. It contradicts the graph he posted. Per capita meat consumption is one of the lowest in Pakistan, just slightly above India which has a large vegetarian population. Most countries on this graph have a higher per capita meat consumption than Pakistan. What surprises me the most is that Bangladeshis (many of whom have Arab, Turk and Afghan origin :lol: ) are even lower than Indians.

Meat+Consumption+by+Income+chart+USDA.jpg

Last edited:
Actually there is reason to avoid beef.I also ate before 1 years ago.But about 1 years ago there when I saw a news ,I become really shocked .In kerala cattles for beef is killed by using a big hammer by hammering it to the head of cattle.The then I decided
hitting in forehead may be to stun the animal so that it bears less pain unlike halal/kosher which is blood bath and a cruel thing to witness(and may affect the mental state of kids or weak hearted). I know, in Christian/Hindu areas they kill by hitting hammer or by Jhatka(less seen though) in Kerala. but, where I live unfortunately halal is the only option.
In a way, hitting by hammer is not different compared to below:
Mechanical (captive bolt)
This method is approved for sheep, swine, goats, calves, cattle, horses, mules, and other equines. A captive bolt stunner is applied to the livestock so as to produce quick unconsciousness in the animals before they are bled.
Animal slaughter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
No surprise there. I was guilty about how much meat I eat and went vegetarian for a week. I relapsed a week later and ate enough meat to make up for the the week that I had refrained from eating any. Did not let my conscience challenge my gut from there after.

meat dishes eaten in Pakistan

Aalo Gosht - Potatoes and Meat
Aalo Qeema - Potatoes and Minced Meat
Saagh Gosht - Spinach and Meat
Chicken Pulao - Rice cooked in Chicken stock + the chicken pieces
Mutton Pulao - Rice cooked in Mutton stock + mutton pieces
Chicken Baryani - Layered Rice cooked with Chicken and spices
Mutton Bryani - Layered Rice cooked with Mutton and spices
Tamatar Gosht - Tomatoes and Meat
Chicken Karahi - Chicken with Tomatoes garlic ,ginger and tomatoes
Arvi Gosht - Yams and Meat
Haleem - Beef slow cooked with grains like barley , wheat , pulses ets
Nihari - Beef ( bong ) cooked with spices and bone marrow
Poth Kalaygi - Chicken Liver and Gizzard
Maghaz - Brain
Mutton Tikka - bbqed mutton pieces
Chicken Tikka - bbqed chicken
Chapli Kabab - flattened mine beef burgers
Seikh Kabab - BBQed . Minced meet on metallic rods cooked over coal
Dum walay Kabab - Steam cooked mincemeat kababs
Sajji - Mutton or Chicken slow cooked either underground with metal sheet covered with coal or cooked around open heat source above ground
Patta Tikka - Liver wrapped in thin layer of fat , bbqued
Lubab

and many others

Last edited:
Question to the Pakistanis: I have eaten at many Pakistanis restaurants, I love the food. My only issue is that it is too oily. I mean there is nearly an inch of oil floating over the gravy in many of the dishes (obviously not talking about the kababs, haleem etc). My question is do you guys use that much oil in daily cooking too or is it just a restaurant thing?

Question to the Pakistanis: I have eaten at many Pakistanis restaurants, I love the food. My only issue is that it is too oily. I mean there is nearly an inch of oil floating over the gravy in many of the dishes (obviously not talking about the kababs, haleem etc). My question is do you guys use that much oil in daily cooking too or is it just a restaurant thing?

Total oil which our mummies use on parathas for breakfast in a day is more than KSA's daily oil production. :D

Total oil which our mummies use on parathas for breakfast in a day is more than KSA's daily oil production. :D

:D :D

I was actually asking more about the meat dishes. I understand that "bhun-na" is essential to Pakistani cooking and you want to make sure that the oil separates from the spices. So you can actually decant the separated oil from rest of the gravy (which is what I do generally :D). Do you do that too?

:D :D

I was actually asking more about the meat dishes. I understand that "bhun-na" is essential to Pakistani cooking and you want to make sure that the oil separates from the spices. So you can actually decant the separated oil from rest of the gravy (which is what I do generally :D). Do you do that too?

No, I don't separate but actually mix it before eating.

Unfortunately cooking oil is used quite a lot , that's true.

Some grannies get angry if they are asked to use less oil , they say the taste is not the same

What a misleading thread title from Riaz uncle, although that's kind of expected of him. It contradicts the graph he posted. Per capita meat consumption is one of the lowest in Pakistan, just slightly above India which has a large vegetarian population. Most countries on this graph have a higher per capita meat consumption than Pakistan. What surprises me the most is that Bangladeshis (many of whom have Arab, Turk and Afghan origin :lol: ) are even lower than Indians.

The map he has posted in the OP is actually just a figure from 2005-2009 and that places Pakistan along with North America, Western Europe and such, and hence the cherry picking. But when you look at the overall picture from 1961-2009 its a whole difference picture.

F2.large.jpg

Although there is remarkable diversity in diet between the 176 countries of this study, the cluster analysis unveils only five different groups of HTLs. Two groups have stable HTLs over the study period, two significantly increase, and one significantly decreases (Fig. 2). The majority of sub-Saharan countries and most of Southeast Asia have a pattern of low and stable HTL (group 1), reflecting diets that are primarily plant based (SI Appendix, Figs. S5–S8). Low and increasing HTLs are found for several countries throughout Asia, Africa, and South America, including China and India (group 2). Group 3, including Central America, Brazil, Chile, Southern Europe, several African countries, and Japan, has higher initial HTLs than group 2 and also shows an increasing trend. Increasing HTLs in groups 2 and 3 indicate diets that are shifting toward higher consumption of animals. Group 4, comprised of North America, Northern and Eastern Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, had high and stable HTLs until 1990, when they begin to decrease (SI Appendix, Fig. S9). Group 5 represents countries with the highest overall HTLs and decreasing trends, including Iceland, Scandinavia, Mongolia, and Mauritania. Traditional diets of this group were composed of meat, fish, or dairy products and low vegetable consumption.

Last edited:
@Roybot Now I know which uni you went to. :lol: You might wanna save the image and upload it to tinypic or something. Very few people would have PNAS access here.

Back
Top Bottom