What's new

Stinger Threat to Helicopters

Blackpearl

Reaction score
It is believed that some of the unused Stinger missiles of Afghan Mujahideen, are now in the hands of Taliban. So it implies that Army Aviation helicopters operating in Waziristan are likely to be targeted by these IR SAMs.

The Pakistan’s War on terror, is now almost 5 years old, (it started in March 2003). During this time, not a sinlge incident of firing of SAM is reported. However, aviation helos have taken 12.7 mm fire. Now this is unlike, Iraq and Afghanistan, where considerably more American choppers have been shot down owing to use of Stingers and SA-7 (Russian).

So, can we assume that our helicopters are safe from SAM threat, in western borders???

stingers pose no apparent threat to the american apaches operating in afghanistan. let me explain how,:coffee:

The New upgrade for the traditional AH-64 Apache is the new Apache Pegasus. Like the LongBow upgrade in the late 90's this is long overdue. It was sparked because of losses during the EuroWars and in other minor conflicts that have occured since then. The new Upgrade includes the introduction of Smart Materials that reduce the noise output of the helicopter, advanced electronics like ED and ECD, Limited Use of Radar Absorbant materials and Thermal Baffling, it also includes CMC's for increased Surviability. The Pegasus upgrade makes the Apache the first helicopter to receive the Advanced Passenger Protection System specially designed for use in helicopters :enjoy:

it is also equipped with Smart Materials
APPS
CMC 3
Rigger Adaptation
Thermal Baffles(factored in)

ECM: 7
ECCM: 7
ED: 4
ECD: 3

advanced ECMs & ECCMs installed in the latest models ensure immunity from MANPADS. :smokin:

As far as the Stringer goes, the version that the Americans supplied in the 1980s it is being produced locally by the Taliban. Not just stingers but many other weapons.

Americans know how to deal, they give with expiration dates.After months or year system trigger the glitch and weapon is useless. All those stringers of Afghan war are expired. I am not sure but they need code, just like navel Harpoon missiles.

Americans know how to deal, they give with expiration dates.After months or year system trigger the glitch and weapon is useless. All those stringers of Afghan war are expired. I am not sure but they need code, just like navel Harpoon missiles.

No with stingers it is a battery pack. It would be possible to rig something. The missiles do not have "codes"

As far as the Stringer goes, the version that the Americans supplied in the 1980s it is being produced locally by the Taliban. Not just stingers but many other weapons.

Yah of course they are......probably producing tanks huh?

No with stingers it is a battery pack. It would be possible to rig something. The missiles do not have "codes"

this is correct - rigging the battery would be difficult but not impossible - further a lot of un-used stingers were also bought back from the mujahideen after the afghan war.

so far no threat to the PA cobras until or unless some-one provides them with SAMs.(hint, hint)

I am not concerned what American are doing for their Appaches. My point was regarding safety of our own helicopters.

It is possible that Stinger missiles hav expired. ( the missile enclosed in a reusable tube has certain shelf life in years). So stingers may not be useful to Taliban.
What about Iglas (SA-7). Al Qaeda people are targetting aircarft in Iraq (also making video of it). There is a likelyhood that some SA-7 may slip into Afghnistan and in tribal belts.

The only countermeasure available, is to shield the engine exhaust,and/or suppress the heat emmissions. Certain Heat Exchanger type engine heat suppressors are installed on Cobras, which rapidly mix engine hot exhaust air with atmospheric cold air. I think they can provide better protection against IR SAMs.

It is believed that some of the unused Stinger missiles of Afghan Mujahideen, are now in the hands of Taliban. So it implies that Army Aviation helicopters operating in Waziristan are likely to be targeted by these IR SAMs.

The Pakistan’s War on terror, is now almost 5 years old, (it started in March 2003). During this time, not a sinlge incident of firing of SAM is reported. However, aviation helos have taken 12.7 mm fire. Now this is unlike, Iraq and Afghanistan, where considerably more American choppers have been shot down owing to use of Stingers and SA-7 (Russian).

So, can we assume that our helicopters are safe from SAM threat, in western borders???

i dont think those cold war relics will b a problem. they'll probably be expired by now. the problem will be if taliban get a hand on Russian SAMs. The Russians might give them too; it'll b a perfect opportunity to take revenge on pakistan.

i dont think those cold war relics will b a problem. they'll probably be expired by now. the problem will be if taliban get a hand on Russian SAMs. The Russians might give them too; it'll b a perfect opportunity to take revenge on pakistan.

what revenge?

Weren't the muhajadins were the one who were fighting them in first place

Yah of course they are......probably producing tanks huh?

No I heard they are starting to produce F-16's. But seriously they make all the weapons they fight with. The Stingers supplied by the American may have expired but they have copied those stingers and made new ones. Now these new ones might not be as good as the ones made by the Americans, but still these people use them. It is a fact that these people make weapons and every one knows about them. If you dont believe go go and ask anyone in Pakistan, they will say the same thing I am saying and that is all the weapons that they used are made by them.

so far no threat to the PA cobras until or unless some-one provides them with SAMs.(hint, hint)

SAMs cannot be supplied because they are very easy to be tracked, and the chances are that the source will be phucked!

Hi,

'Taliban producing stingers'---a comment without any sense and reason. But if you say that the taliban have found a way to doctor up the batteries and found a way to power up whatever stingers they have---I will be a skeptic but won't say that it is impossible.

Mujahideen - The people mentioning that may have confused rockets with AA missiles. During Swat there were some reports of RPG's being used to target Cobra's.

Back
Top Bottom