What's new

Stinger Threat to Helicopters

Hi,

'Taliban producing stingers'---a comment without any sense and reason. But if you say that the taliban have found a way to doctor up the batteries and found a way to power up whatever stingers they have---I will be a skeptic but won't say that it is impossible.

Like I said they have found a way to make Stingers, but they aren't as good as the ones made by the Americans.

Like I said they have found a way to make Stingers, but they aren't as good as the ones made by the Americans.

I know what you talking about. But they are not stingers.. rather unguided rockets. They can't hit a ****.. unless get lucky to target ground targets.

I know what you talking about. But they are not stingers.. rather unguided rockets. They can't hit a ****.. unless get lucky to target ground targets.

Well they call it a Stinger, but you are totally right, it is their luck that they are successful.

what revenge?

Weren't the muhajadins were the one who were fighting them in first place

its no secret that pakistan was a crucial supporter of the mujahideen during the soviet war in afghanistan. the soviets lost tens of thousands of men there and the USSR itself broke apart after the war. and pakistan had a hand in that. so the russians definitely have a reason to hate pakistan and want revenge. maybe they'll give weapons to the taliban so that the taliban and pakistanis kill each other.

after all, whats better than watching two enemies of yours tear each other apart?

Surprisingly, most of the weapons and explosives are apparently coming from/through Iran. Even the Afghan Government, comprised of former NA people (former Iran allies against the Taliban), is complaining.

I guess Iran is in the same boat of watching two enemies (US/NATO and Taliban) tear each other apart.

what revenge?

Weren't the muhajadins were the one who were fighting them in first place

Thou i agree with you and also that it is not possible for Russians to supply such things but Indians and the Russians also want to see Pakistan getting engaged in a war within its own land with its own people. NO?

Thou i agree with you and also that it is not possible for Russians to supply such things but Indians and the Russians also want to see Pakistan getting engaged in a war within its own land with its own people. NO?

Partially agreed.
Instead of Russians, America may be more interested for the same cause.

As far as Russians are concerned, explicitely, thay are getting diplomatically, more aggressive towards US and EU countries.

Mujahideen - The people mentioning that may have confused rockets with AA missiles. During Swat there were some reports of RPG's being used to target Cobra's.

the cobras are generally not operating at low-levels.

If Cobras are operating at high altitude, they can be easilly targetted by SAMs.

I remember, i hav read in Newsweek, account of US Iraqi veteran pilot, in which, he describes flying over hostile areas. The trick to avoid SAMs and of course Small Arms fire is to Fly Low and Fly Fast. So both types of threats can be , to some extent defeated.

Cobra is a dedicated attack helicopter ( not to be considerred as commercial aircraft). Its structure and surface skin is designed to take 7.62 mm rounds. Vital parts of the chopper (Pilot,gunner compartment; engine, mainn transmission system) is protected by Kevlar sheets, which can take 12.7 mm rounds and still fly. Its has dual flight controll system. So if one system fails, the other will take over, and will give pilot enough time to dash back to safety.

Flying at high altitude, the aircraft loses element of surprise and stealth, which are, actually the characteristics of attack helicopter.

Thank YOu blackwater and fatman i was just about post a question here that howcome cobras can made their assignment even despite anti-aircraft guns being used in tribal areas, while the fighte jets did not dare to fire due to same reason in Darra Adam Khel.

I think, attack helicopters always attack in pairs. Like a wingman concept. The lead aircarft goes for the attack, while No 2 closely follows behind, covering the lead helicopter.

If the lead aircarft is fired upon, the wing man warns the leader and himself get into a position to engage the attacker on ground.

In Afghanistan, during 1980-88, war, Russian with their Hinds, used same tactics of hunting in pairs, which was successful.

Back
Top Bottom