What's new

Smart phones | Selection advice, New releases, Concepts

galaxy note is like a tr@nsvest|te.

Its too big for a phone and too small for a tablet. Its like being in the middle. Its the wannabe iPad courtesy Samsung

ghar ka k|_|tta na dhobi ka na ghaat ka.

Correction: It is not 12 MP but 8 MP! Surprising na? I was surprised to see 8 MP on SIII when SII is already offering 12 MP.
SII is 8mp if I am not wrong... never heard about 12mp Galaxy SII

Apple_iCam_camera_concept_5.jpg

If this happens then the market of mirror-less cameras will gradually vanish. Then after 2 years who knows if DSLR cameras would also being replaced by the iPhone's DSLR capabilities

galaxy note is like a tr@nsvest|te.

Its too big for a phone and too small for a tablet. Its like being in the middle. Its the wannabe iPad courtesy Samsung

ghar ka k|_|tta na dhobi ka na ghaat ka.

It has it's own benefits... for example it's screen size is more than enough for me to moderate threads by using the mobile phone.

But true the ideal size for mobiles should be between 4.3 - 4.8 inches... very similar to Galaxy S3

But trust me, once you use Galaxy Note for 2-3 days it is not easy to get rid of it. You easily get used to it and I personally love using this mobile for everyday purpose

172420-image_new_iPhone_concept.jpg

If the new iPhone doesn't surprise you, will you jump ship?

With the upcoming release of the new iPhone (we sure hope Apple has a new iPhone at this point, right?), I’ve been looking at different aspects of the new handset and how it may impact the end user. We’ve already talked about what Apple should budge on in the new design of the hardware and software, and even tried to figure out what’s better, the open or walled garden. The natural end to this mini-series of sorts seems to be the one area we haven’t touched yet: what if Apple doesn’t do anything all that great?

If Apple keeps up with their yearly cycle, then we know that there’s a new iPhone coming. When we saw the iPhone 4 launch, it had plenty of different and new features when compared to the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 4 was a huge change, while the iPhone 4S wasn’t. There were new features, but for the most part we were looking at the same phone we had seen already launched the year before. In truth, this sort of cycle pretty much tells the consumer what to expect, and there’s nothing really wrong with that.

In fact, because of that routine, we know that the new iPhone will indeed be a major change.

So while we hope that Apple budges on a few things, or even several features, all we can really assume at this point is that Apple will go with a new set of hardware to show off the new software.

But what happens if Apple pulls the curtain off the new iPhone and it isn’t even half of what people are expecting? What if Apple doesn’t pull out a new device with a larger display? What if Apple doesn’t unveil a new iPhone with an actual quad-core processor? What if the phone isn’t thin enough?

What if.

There are many people out there who believe that Apple follows, rather than leads. While there are plenty of different points that we could look at that both refute and support that argument, I think this year is the point where Apple will prove one of those things true. The trouble is, if Apple does indeed “budge” on something, people will call out that Apple is just following the crowd, and that’s that.

Apple has their own plans, and they know what they’re doing. That’s pretty obvious, considering the Cupertino-based company is still raking in the money. But is the new iPhone where it could all start to see a shift? Since about 2008, people have started to expect things from their devices, and now in 2012 that’s just so much worse. People think they actually need certain aspects to their smartphone, and if they don’t get it with one phone, they are quick to find it in another.

So what if Apple doesn’t give you everything you want, or even most of it? What if you don’t get a bigger display? A thin device. 4G LTE connectivity? Even more RAM? What if Apple finds themselves in the same rut of hardware design that other manufacturers seem to be in? Even if designers out there have great ideas, it may not be possible to see them in the real world.

If Apple doesn’t show off a new iPhone with everything that you want or need, will you jump ship to find it somewhere else? Will 2012 be the year that Apple doesn’t provide you with what you want, and you ultimately find it somewhere else? Let me know in the comments below what Apple has to do to make sure you stick around and buy the new iPhone.

**********​

This was a nice article, & I do want to know what others would do if the scenario described in the article occurs. Personally I will stick to the iPhone. I know that Apple will upgrade the phone to keep it up to the times, so there will naturally be some changes.

iPhone-four-inch-mockup-16-by-9-display.jpg

The case for a four-inch iPhone with 16:9 display

There’s no shortage of iPhone mockups these days, a tell-tale indication of the launch date drawing near (we’re looking towards a Fall launch). We already told you about one possible iPhone mockup and shared an interesting theory regarding the argument for a four-inch iPhone.

The problem is, the vast majority of artists’ renditions depict an iPhone with a blown up display that, however, features the same 3:2 aspect ratio as all iPhone and iPod touch models back to 2007.

So, how about a four-incher with a 16:9 aspect ratio display?

The above mockup, credited to Dan Provost (via MacStories), depicts a 16:9 iPhone with a four-inch display.

The image above shows the current iPhone, a mockup of the alleged 16:9 phone, and a mockup with a bigger 3:2 screen at 300dpi, which measures 3.84” diagonally. I estimated that the physical size of the phone would need to increase slightly, getting taller in the 16:9 version and wider in the 3:2 version. I don’t think either of these size increases are deal breakers. The 3:2 version is actually still narrower than the iPhone 3GS.

The big issue with changing the aspect ratio: apps.

Because Apple definitely would not reduce the iPhone 4/4S’s 326 pixel-per-inch count on a larger canvas, elongating the 3:2 inch to a 16:9 aspect ratio would increase the number of pixels, meaning all existing apps would not scale up properly to fill up the entire screen.

The easiest and the least user-friendly solution would entail letterboxing the app’s user interface.

Provost has an interesting take on the dilemma:

I think Apple should keep the 3:2 aspect ratio and increase the physical size until it reaches the 300dpi retina boiling point, maintaining the 960×640 pixel count.

Doing this would let Apple brand a four-inch iPhone with a 16:9 display under the Retina moniker whilst keeping the existing 960-by-640 pixel resolution for app compatibility.

Bumping up the screen to a 16:9 aspect ratio and retaining a 326 pixels-per-inch density would increase total number of pixels available. Apple could use those extra pixels for additional user interface elements.

Think widgets, a souped up multitasking bar, bigger Dock icons and even – why not – touch controls like the navigation buttons found on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Another good example are banner notifications which normally appear subtly at the top of the display, overlaid on top of the running app. The additional pixels would let Apple render banner notifications unobtrusively, right above the running app.

Banner-notifications-on-four-inch-16-by-9-iPhone.png

Those are all valid points and if Apple chooses to take the 16:9 route, they’re definitely not going to make everyone’s life harder by requiring that developers update their apps just to cater for an extra few hundred pixels.

Apple is all about simplicity. I’m convinced they’d rather keep apps running at the 960-by-640 pixel resolution and use the extra pixels to tweak the iPhone’s user interface and provide some unique software features not found on 3:2 iPhones – just like Siri has remained an iPhone 4S exclusive, even though it’s just software that we know runs well on non-A5 devices.

There seems to be a consensus out there that Apple should increase the screen size of a next-generation iPhone to a four-inch(ish) canvas.

I’m not a proponent of blowing up the iPhone’s display just because the Android camp has been doing it in the absence of any meaningful and major differentiator.

But I sure would prefer my iPhone with a 16:9 aspect ratio display.

How about you?

**********​

Here is another article.

**********​

iphone5_concept6.jpg

Thoughts on the 4-inch iPhone theory

Yesterday, an intriguing theory on how Apple could build an iPhone with a 4-inch screen made its way around the tech world. The idea is based on the fact that Apple could make the display larger, without drastically increasing the size of the handset.

Judging from the feedback I’ve gathered from our readers, on Twitter, and on other websites, the consensus seems to be that this theory is way off base; Apple would never do anything like it. But to me, it feels like everyone is overlooking a few things…

Let’s start this off by clarifying what we’re talking about here. For those that missed it yesterday, the aforementioned theory says that Apple could enlarge the iPhone’s screen by making it slightly longer on the top and bottom. The display would have a 9:5 aspect ratio and a resolution of 1152 x 640.

Ok, now that we’re all on the same page, let’s address the first problem with this scenario: 3rd party apps. What would happen to all of the 500,000+ iOS apps if they weren’t immediately updated? How would they look on the new screen? While I don’t have a direct answer for this, I can say that this wouldn’t be the first time that developers had to alter their apps for new devices. The iPhone 4, the original iPad and third-gen iPad all come to mind. And there hasn’t been a problem yet.

Another issue people seem to have with the theory is that it would make the iPhone unusable with one hand; ie: you wouldn’t be able to hold the handset in one hand and touch the opposite corner of the screen with your thumb like you can with the current iPhone. But what I think most folks are missing here is that the concept in question involves making the iPhone just a few centimeters taller. A majority of the proposed screen’s added real estate would come courtesy of smaller bezels and possibly a modified home button. So we’re not talking about much of a difference in the actual size of the device.

What I also find interesting about this concept, which I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere else, is that it lines up perfectly with iLounge’s report from last November:

“Our most reliable source has spoken: expect body changes for the next iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro. Here’s what we’ve heard. The third-generation iPad will become modestly thicker (0.7mm) in order to accommodate the twin light bar system needed for its higher-resolution display…

….Our source says that the next-generation iPhone will not look like the teardrop-shaped version that was widely rumored for release in 2011. We’ve been told that the device will have a 4-inch display and will be 8mm longer than before, with a metal casing (probably aluminum).”

Considering that this report nailed the details of the third-generation iPad — 5 months before Apple unveiled it, it wouldn’t be crazy to think that it was spot on regarding the next-generation iPhone as well.

And finally, read what John Gruber wrote yesterday in a linked-post to the theory on Daring Fireball: “Methinks “Colin” [the original source behind yesterday's story] wasn’t merely guessing or idly speculating.” I know, I know, this doesn’t prove anything. And if it was said by any other pundit, I would’ve dismissed it. But given the fact that Gruber has a history of being an “industry insider” when it comes to Apple, the comment does add some spice to the story.

After more than two years with the same design, the iPhone is certainly due for a makeover. And to be honest, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if the next one looked something like the above photo — which to me illustrates the 4-inch iPhone theory quite nicely.

What do you think?

see one good thing is - every iPhone concept usually comes with larger screen as this has been definite requirement for users to see larger screen for iPhone in the next release

Tablets are there for all those, who like big screen portable devices(but even on Tablets, Internet experience is not as lively as it is on laptops), cells should be of the sizes, where one can hold them comfortably, and these big azz cells like the ones from Samsung are a big nuisance.
As for S3 it features a pentile display, and once you see those visible pixels on your screen, all the big talk about AMOLED's quality display loses it's ground, let alone the fact that colours are overly saturated, which takes away their natural effects.

Tablets are there for all those, who like big screen portable devices(but even on Tablets, Internet experience is not as lively as it is on laptops), cells should be of the sizes, where one can hold them comfortably, and these big azz cells like the ones from Samsung are a big nuisance.
As for S3 it features a pentile display, and once you see those visible pixels on your screen, all the big talk about AMOLED's quality display loses it's ground, let alone the fact that colours are overly saturated, which takes away their natural effects.

I bought a tablet 2 months ago but sold it last week... I find it pretty useless if you already have a mobile phone packed with similar features. Yeah may be 5.3 inches is not for everybody but surely many users will love that screen size. But then 4.3 to 4.8 inches is pretty decent size and even 5.3 inches quits easily in your jeans so there is no such thing as "extremely large" for Galaxy Note as well. It is decent sized mobile and slightly large for some people

Believe it or not but the future of the mobile phones is large screens above 4 inches and anything below that will not be liked by the customers in few years time.

I have used both IOS and Android platforms from the very beginning and let me assure you that the latest platform of Android has so many features that IOS is simply lagging behind in everything.

Apple does sometimes lag behind in the introduction of new features, but generally I feel that when they do introduce new features, it's implementation is better that other platforms.

See the word "Hopefully" is the problem in IOS where Android wins straight away

HTML 5 is gaining popularity, & I am sure it will replace flash.

This iPhone's Forex software is for babies... same version of this software in Android has tons of more features and a perfect replacement for Desktop version of the same software. I know for general purpose users, iPhone has better "entertaining" software's available in App store but for business users Android offers a lot more features comparing to IOS.

I can't comment on iOS's Forex software because I have never used it, but I did post some articles earlier stating that the iPhone's enterprise adoption has improved a lot.

Yes but having an option of more features is always better than having no or limited features

Android is all about choice & customization, but I will say that the amount of choice & customization offered is also Android's biggest flaw.

see one good thing is - every iPhone concept usually comes with larger screen as this has been definite requirement for users to see larger screen for iPhone in the next release

I agree most iPhone users in general including me want the screen size of the iPhone 5 to increase to 4 inches.

This is exactly why I don't want Apple to increase the screen size beyond 4 inches. A 4 inch screen is still capable of being used by one hand by the over whelming majority of people, & that is extremely important because Apple needs to target the iPhone to various demographic groups. In my opinion most people won't like it if they are unable to operate a phone with one hand alone.

Believe it or not but you are going to see 4.3+ inches screen size for iPhone in the next generation

Most likely it is going to be 4.5 inches

Believe it or not but you are going to see 4.3+ inches screen size for iPhone in the next generation

Most likely it is going to be 4.5 inches

The difference between "ooh" and "aah" is only a few inches!

It doesn't look differences to me, basically it look same. Why waste money on new phones, Zakii ?

Nothing special.

iam an iphone 4s user i personally dont want it to expand more that 4 - 4.2 inches i dont want it to grow thicker but slimmer and a little wider can be done with i want increase the brightness of the screen

iam an iphone 4s user i personally dont want it to expand more that 4 - 4.2 inches i dont want it to grow thicker but slimmer and a little wider can be done with i want increase the brightness of the screen

in another words... somewhere in the corner of your heart you are demanding for larger screen... my point exactly

The difference between "ooh" and "aah" is only a few inches!
please dont watch too many **** movies.. believe in nature

j/k

iphone 4 user...didnt like 4s....will definatly get 5.

Back
Top Bottom