What's new

Sino-Vietnamese War

tanlixiang28776

Reaction score
For people who actually want to discuss the Vietnam war and learn something.

Some rules.

No trolling, flame baiting, racist remarks, or any form of personal attack

Sources are a must.

Wikipedia is NOT a source

Forums like this are NOT a source

Do not pull facts out of your ***

Thank you and have a nice day.

Contrary to popular believe. A large part of vietnam war was fought by the NVA regulars. But it is the vietcong who got the most attention in the media.

Contrary to popular believe. A large part of vietnam war was fought by the NVA regulars. But it is the vietcong who got the most attention in the media.

The Congs got wiped out in the Tet offensive ordered by Giap. It was military failure but it had a big impact in USA.

china still shelter 300000 vietnamese refugees of the war till today

vietnam won't let them back and refused to discuss it

but generally it's a stupid war

For people who actually want to discuss the Vietnam war and learn something.

Some rules.

No trolling, flame baiting, racist remarks, or any form of personal attack

Sources are a must.

Wikipedia is NOT a source

Forums like this are NOT a source

Do not pull facts out of your ***

Thank you and have a nice day.

Excuse me, but I'm slightly confused. What is this thread about?

You mentioned that it is for people who actually want to 'discuss' the Vietnam war and learn something. I want to learn something, especially about a huge event such as the Vietnam war, which so overshadowed our growing years. But without running down your effort in starting this thread, how will the discussion take place? Or, putting it another way, what sort of discussion will take place in the absence of any 'key' topic opener to start with? If the discussion goes on the lines of

A: "I think it was a great victory."

B: "No, I don't think so at all."

A: "Of course it was, and if you had any sense in your head, you'd see that it was."

B: "And you're the one to judge if I have any sense in my head? Who appointed you?"

A: "I don't have to say anything, because every time you open your fool mouth, you prove how little sense you have."

C: "Guys, just stop it, OK. Let's just get back to the discussion. I think it's obvious that Vietnam won because the US couldn't commit its troops on a fully-committed basis. So let's call it a draw!"

If there's no anchor piece, don't you think we are vulnerable?

Excuse me, but I'm slightly confused. What is this thread about?

You mentioned that it is for people who actually want to 'discuss' the Vietnam war and learn something. I want to learn something, especially about a huge event such as the Vietnam war, which so overshadowed our growing years. But without running down your effort in starting this thread, how will the discussion take place? Or, putting it another way, what sort of discussion will take place in the absence of any 'key' topic opener to start with? If the discussion goes on the lines of

A: "I think it was a great victory."

B: "No, I don't think so at all."

A: "Of course it was, and if you had any sense in your head, you'd see that it was."

B: "And you're the one to judge if I have any sense in my head? Who appointed you?"

A: "I don't have to say anything, because every time you open your fool mouth, you prove how little sense you have."

C: "Guys, just stop it, OK. Let's just get back to the discussion. I think it's obvious that Vietnam won because the US couldn't commit its troops on a fully-committed basis. So let's call it a draw!"

If there's no anchor piece, don't you think we are vulnerable?

Sino-Vietnamese War not US Vietnam war.

here is my opinion.

While we performed worse than we did during the Korean war, and Sino-Indian War, it was still a victory with China winning all the tactical battles and inflicting more casualties on the opponent.

Sino-Vietnamese War not US Vietnam war.

here is my opinion.

While we performed worse than we did during the Korean war, and Sino-Indian War, it was still a victory with China winning all the tactical battles and inflicting more casualties on the opponent.

I was just trying to point out that there was not even much elaboration of the theme, and calling it Vietnam War, there are better than good chances to get ourselves confused. Plus of course the need for facts, the only way to define and commence a good discussion.

This is no doubt a good way to start the thread, by putting up a hypothesis which everybody can consider and find facts about, some for, some against. On the other hand, it would be so helpful if we were to put up some evidence first, develop an analysis around it, and present an opinion to fill in the gaps.

Presumably this alternative was selected in order to give a good start. So be it. Let us look at this topic and see what actually happened, and how we may trace the course of events.

I could post an an article if you guys like. Will have to format it first though, let me know.

china still shelter 300000 vietnamese refugees of the war till today

vietnam won't let them back and refused to discuss it

but generally it's a stupid war
Last I heard, there are plans for all these refugees to be given permanent residence and Chinese citizenship. As I understand it, enough time has passed to allow most of them to have integrated into China's society.

The war started with USSR. At the time USSR is on the north massing troops, planes and missiles. Vietnam in the South. USSR is planning to squeez China buy attacking from both side!!

China lunched premetive offensive strike, and destoryed much of Vietnam's heavy equibments, so it can not lunch cordinated attack against China with USSR. USSR's plan of attack from both side banckrupted!!!!! Also, USSR did not attack China from the north, this means that they are indeed planning!!

So China achieved tactical victory!

End of the story.

Last I heard, there are plans for all these refugees to be given permanent residence and Chinese citizenship. As I understand it, enough time has passed to allow most of them to have integrated into China's society.

already given permanent residence for family can expand housing and get loans, students can apply for college

only difference is their primary school doesn't have chinese flag

Americans were watching from the sky and they think China got its butt kicked. The two main reason is the PLA just sucked after the cultural revolution and because the Viet Cong were just battle hardened after beating the Americans. PLA wanted to nuke Hanoi, but Deng said No.

Geopolitically, the war brought China closer to US to contain Vietnam and check the Soviets. China lost Cambodia but who cares. The Sino-US Honeymoon brought great economic and technological benefits to China. In that sense, the great sacrifice of PLA troops (20,000 to 60,000) was not in vain. Soviet Union collapsed. Soviet-Vietnamese alliance went no where.

China: 6954 people to die in battle, 21,000 people to Injured in battle.
<self-defense operations in Vietnam summary of the work> (&#12298;&#23545;&#36234;&#33258;&#21355;&#21453;&#20987;&#20316;&#25112;&#24037;&#20316;&#24635;&#32467;&#12299;), it has Detailed List who died in battle.
-----
So far, Vietnam govt can not be specific loss of Statistics.

Vietnam govt said:
1, Be destroyed of the city: 4
2, Villages and towns: 320
3, Civilians(In fact, that is the guerrillas) to die in battle: 50000
4, Regular army to die in battle: 42000
5, Regular army to Injured in battle: 10000
6, be Captured: 2000+

But finally, we did not save Cambodia, and our forces withdrew from Vietnam.
Therefore, in the tactical, we won. in the strategy, we lost.

Americans were watching from the sky and they think China got its butt kicked. The two main reason is the PLA just sucked after the cultural revolution and because the Viet Cong were just battle hardened after beating the Americans. PLA wanted to nuke Hanoi, but Deng said No.

Geopolitically, the war brought China closer to US to contain Vietnam and check the Soviets. China lost Cambodia but who cares. The Sino-US Honeymoon brought great economic and technological benefits to China. In that sense, the great sacrifice of PLA troops (20,000 to 60,000) was not in vain. Soviet Union collapsed. Soviet-Vietnamese alliance went no where.

China would never use any nuke against non-nuclear nation.

Despite the Vietcong has became arrogant after the War of Vietnam and claimed many land in South China, our goal is to teach them a lesson and push them back.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom