What's new

SHENYANG J-11D/E RENAMED TO "J-16" (With concept images)

Is it only me or even the others who can see the USAF roundel on the edges of the wings in the first pic..?

Result - Poor Photoshop done by amateurs.

Uh, no. It's a PLAAF roundel
800px-Roundel_of_the_Peoples_Liberation_Army_Air_Force.svg.png

I copied it from a Chinese defense article (written by a SAC employee).

WE KNOW it's a Photoshop. Currently, no photos of the J-11D/E have been released yet. They may be later.

Supposing that this project is true it is probably going to be China's counterpart to the U.S. Silent Eagle. Unlike the Silent Eagle, however, I don't see this plane getting exported due to the fact that it remains a Flanker variant. It could certainly serve as a stop gag measure (a counter to the F-35s) if the J-XX experience delays. As for this plane being fielded in large numbers... Sorry, that won't happen. A flanker is a heavy fighter and can be extremely maintenance intensive/costsly.

From the front and side view it resembles a Flanker, but from the top-down view it doesn't look anything like a Flanker.

So you have to ask the question, "when does a Flanker stop being a Flanker?". I think the airframe is unique enough to justify not calling it a Flanker, and thus have export potential.

If this project is true then I do see this as a stop-gap measure since J-XX won't be ready till 2018 and even then, there will only be a handfull of J-XX.

As good as J-11B is, it's not going to fare well against the types of enemies it will potentially face between now and whenever time J-XX is inducted, so J-11B will need to be further developed.

USA already has ~180 F-22 and F-35 is expect to come into service from 2014 - as Robert Gates said, by the time China has a handful of J-XX, US could possible have a thousand 5th gens.

Although J-11B could hold its own against Indias Su-30MKI, India has already signed contracts to upgrade their MKI, widening the gap.

Russia is also doing the same thing - working on PAK-FA whilst ordering Su-35BM.

here is the official report ,it has indirectly confirmed the existence of J-16 project,still in the design stage
Öк½¹¤ÒµÉòÑôËùÕÙ¿ª¹¥¼á»áÕ½±íÕûá_¶¯Ì¬_º½¿ÕÍø
结构部前机身与进气道室面临着协调问题复杂、结构变化大等难题
Nobody denied there may a J-16 stealth program, what is questionable is the claim of this so-called J-11D/E derivative supposedly to be renamed the J-16. This reliance on Chinese military bbses which is simply repeating what other military enthusiasts are speculating are not serious sources of military intel.

Back
Top Bottom