What's new

SHENYANG J-11D/E RENAMED TO "J-16" (With concept images)

Jxx will be different, it will be a canard-Trapezoidal wing design.
suppose this project is true, will it be more of an export design or just a lower tech variant to be fielded in large numbers in conjunction with the jxx? (similar to type 96/type 99 tank combination). Or maybe jxx is still further away from operation than we think?

Jxx will be different, it will be a canard-Trapezoidal wing design.
suppose this project is true, will it be more of an export design or just a lower tech variant to be fielded in large numbers in conjunction with the jxx? (similar to type 96/type 99 tank combination). Or maybe jxx is still further away from operation than we think?

Supposing that this project is true it is probably going to be China's counterpart to the U.S. Silent Eagle. Unlike the Silent Eagle, however, I don't see this plane getting exported due to the fact that it remains a Flanker variant. It could certainly serve as a stop gag measure (a counter to the F-35s) if the J-XX experience delays. As for this plane being fielded in large numbers... Sorry, that won't happen. A flanker is a heavy fighter and can be extremely maintenance intensive/costsly.

Frankly I don't know what China is planning jumping into so many projects.
J-11A/SU-27
J-11B
J-11D/E (somebody enlighten me why double names J-11 and J-16??)
SU-30
alleged variant of SU-30 called J-11C?
J-15 Flying Shark?
J-10A/J-10B
JH-7A/B

You only listed 3 types of planes. J-11A/B/C/D/E, J-15, and Su-30 are basically all variants of the same plane. China is rapidly modernizing and upgrading its jets, which is why so many variants will be in service at the same time. Still, there aren't nearly as many variants as the Americans. There's the F-16A/B/C/D/E/F, F-15A/B/C/D/E, F-18A/B/C/D/E/F/G(growler), A-10, F-22, F-35A/B/C. That's five completely different types of planes with many more variants.

You only listed 3 types of planes. J-11A/B/C/D/E, J-15, and Su-30 are basically all variants of the same plane. China is rapidly modernizing and upgrading its jets, which is why so many variants will be in service at the same time. Still, there aren't nearly as many variants as the Americans. There's the F-16A/B/C/D/E/F, F-15A/B/C/D/E, F-18A/B/C/D/E/F/G(growler), A-10, F-22, F-35A/B/C. That's five completely different types of planes with many more variants.

Please note that most of these are variants of well-known planes.

J-11C is the J-15.
J-11D/E are follow-ons after the J-11B
J-10C is simply twin-engine J-10B
JH-7B is a stealth version of JH-7
YFC-1E is stealth version of JF-17

The only completely-new fighters (including UAVs) that are under testing are:
- J-13
- J-14
- Combat Eagle UCAV
- Dark Sword UCAV

Supposing that this project is true it is probably going to be China's counterpart to the U.S. Silent Eagle. Unlike the Silent Eagle, however, I don't see this plane getting exported due to the fact that it remains a Flanker variant. It could certainly serve as a stop gag measure (a counter to the F-35s) if the J-XX experience delays. As for this plane being fielded in large numbers... Sorry, that won't happen. A flanker is a heavy fighter and can be extremely maintenance intensive/costsly.

The J-11D/E are used to support and supplement the highly-expensive J-13 and J-14 fighters.

It's basically a quasi-5th-generation version of the J-11B.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

so is this a prototype of the fift gen J-XX that we were awaiting.....?

No. The 5th-gen prototypes are named J-13 and J-14 (which are under testing).

This is the J-11D/E, which is used to supplement the 5th-gen fighters.

This is an era of great development to China's aviation industry, so not surprising, even so many projects, in fact, only a few major projects, J10B J16 (J11 modified) j15 (and subsequent modified) JXX (two).

Actually, that is not all. I'm gonna break down the combat aircraft projects into its respective companies:

SAC:
- J-14 "Peregrine Falcon"
- J-11D/E (I call it the "Silent Flanker")
- J-15 "Flying Shark"
- Dark Sword UCAV

CAC:
- J-13 "Peng Dragon"
- J-10B/C "Vigorous Dragon"
- YFC-1E "Fierce Dragon"

XAC:
- JH-7B "Flying Leopard III"
- H-8

And we also have the Combat Eagle UCAV in testing (I don't know who builds it).

So, if you break it down, it's not a heavy load at all. Especially when a team of 2-3 groups of scientists focuses on an aircraft.

Sir, it is not that China is jumping on so much projects as half of the projects that you mentioned are nothing but fanboy wet dreams.

Again, this is what most ignorant netizens said right before pictures of the J-10B and J-15 were released.

Western Internet barely gets any of the articles published on Chinese Internet.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

lol you didn't trace those pics out of magazine drawings did you?
Seems to be traced in pencil first then drawn over by black pen.

IF the project exist I think there won't be shortage of people crying over it as derived from T-50.

I don't draw. I copied and pasted these pics from defense articles.

You mean this?
20100204014755934.jpg

20100204014802267.jpg

20100204014820525.jpg

Right that is exactly what the J-16 is

here is the official report ,it has indirectly confirmed the existence of J-16 project,still in the design stage
Öк½¹¤ÒµÉòÑôËùÕÙ¿ª¹¥¼á»áÕ½±íÕûá_¶¯Ì¬_º½¿ÕÍø
结构部前机身与进气道室面临着协调问题复杂、结构变化大等难题

It makes no reference to a J-16 or a J-11D/E.

I've read 3 separate reports confirming that the J-11D/E are in testing as of 2010.

You mean this?
20100204014755934.jpg

Is it only me or even the others who can see the USAF roundel on the edges of the wings in the first pic..?

Result - Poor Photoshop done by amateurs.

Is it only me or even the others who can see the USAF roundel on the edges of the wings in the first pic..?

Result - Poor Photoshop done by amateurs.

photo-shopped? probably, but about the roundels, the us and Chinese ones are very similar without color(us is blue/white Chinese is red/yellow, both is a star and a rectangle )

Back
Top Bottom