What's new

'Shame Games' mar India's reputation

contender

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
'Shame Games' mar India's reputation - Mail & Guardian Online: The smart news source Sep 29 2010

The shambolic run-up to the Commonwealth Games has dashed India's hopes of showcasing itself as a dynamic emerging superpower and delivering an event to rival the spectacular Beijing Olympics, analysts say.

The country's old image of inefficient bureaucracy, poor infrastructure, graft and squalor has been broadcast around the world by the international sporting event, tagged India's "Shame Games" by the local media.

"We believe tourism will not suffer much, since tourists who visit India have mostly factored in the India of yore, with snake charmers, and its dirt," said Robinder Sachdev, president of Indian image consultancy Imagindia.

"But large-scale business and investment decisions in boardrooms will certainly be impacted by this colossal display of ineptitude," said Sachdev.

It is "a huge public spectacle of a large project gone wrong," he said.

The Commonwealth turmoil has been a blow to the vision the country hoped to project of a modern "shining" India that could deliver complex projects on time and within budget, analysts said.

The bad news reached a crescendo last week when a footbridge to the Games' centrepiece stadium collapsed and the Games governing body branded the athletes' village "******" and "uninhabitable".

The collapse raised doubts about the safety of other structures built for the Games, whose original cost was pegged by the government at less than $100-million in 2003 but which later estimates have put at up to $6-billion.

The Games should have given India a chance of "showcasing its rising economy, recent infrastructure development, and improved business environment", said Matt Robinson, a senior economist with the research arm of ratings giant Moody's.

You guys wouldnt leave It even if the Athletes say this is the best Games Village they have ever been to...lol Silly World....

You guys wouldnt leave It even if the Athletes say this is the best Games Village they have ever been to...lol Silly World....

look, they cleaned up the athletes village very well but the only reason why there's a flood of news report on athlete remarks like "village great" "village very impressive" is because the Indian media is active asking them specific questions about conditions after the hygiene debacle.

What else are the athletes to do but to provide a diplomatic answer when condition have improved? They are guests of your country afterall.

look, they cleaned up the athletes village very well but the only reason why there's a flood of news report on athlete remarks like "village great" "village very impressive" is because the Indian media is active asking them specific questions about conditions after the hygiene debacle.

What else are the athletes to do but to provide a diplomatic answer when condition have improved? They are guests of your country afterall.

All the Players Have not been Squeezed In, Only the Players Whose Rooms Have Been Finished Par with International Standards Have been Accommodated , Rest have Been Accommodated In 5 star Hotels In Delhi , And About the Diplomatic Answers, They dont need to, as The Diplomats Have Visited Delhi Before Opting there Teams to Participate In Delhi.... If the Athletes had to be diplomatic they wouldnt have raised Concerns Before coming as they knew they were coming to be Our Guest, after reaching here, they blamed the Media for Over Hyping the Situation

All the Players Have not been Squeezed In, Only the Players Whose Rooms Have Been Finished Par with International Standards Have been Accommodated , Rest have Been Accommodated In 5 star Hotels In Delhi , And About the Diplomatic Answers, They dont need to, as The Diplomats Have Visited Delhi Before Opting there Teams to Participate In Delhi.... If the Athletes had to be diplomatic they wouldnt have raised Concerns Before coming as they knew they were coming to be Our Guest, after reaching here, they blamed the Media for Over Hyping the Situation

No doubt the government has made good the situation or least am trying to as much as possible. But a screw up is still a screw up and its human nature to remember the bad things only. Its unfortunately the local media also has a obsession to highlight these issues again and again but its their right and freedom so...

For the athletes of course there is a minimum level of comfort they will bear before kicking up a ruckus and judging from the initial pictures they had every right to do so. Now that the government has cleaned it up to acceptable levels their organizers would have told them to put in a positive comment to the media after all the hooha's.

Last edited:

If athletes wanted to be diplomatic even when they didn't like it, they could have said there are issues but we can adjust. But they are coming out with raving reviews about how good it is in the village and training facilities in it. Not to mention their positive impressions about the venues. Several of them said that they are the best they have seen anywhere.

They were perplexed about why the media is only presenting the negative stuff to the world.

When they even threatened to boycott the games for our unpreparedness, would you think they be worried about being nice to the host country when they are facing issues? I don't think so.

Commonwealth Games Videos

I could give you several articles that would give you accounts of athletes having fun in the village.

It just that both Indian and World media went overboard with negativities ignoring all the positive aspects of the game.

If athletes wanted to be diplomatic even when they didn't like it, they could have said there are issues but we can adjust. But they are coming out with raving reviews about how good it is in the village and training facilities in it. Not to mention their positive impressions about the venues. Several of them said that they are the best they have seen anywhere.

They were perplexed about why the media is only presenting the negative stuff to the world.

When they even threatened to boycott the games for our unpreparedness, would you think they be worried about being nice to the host country when they are facing issues? I don't think so.

I could give you several articles that would give you accounts of athletes having fun in the village.

It just that both Indian and World media went overboard with negativities ignoring all the positive aspects of the game.

I was against the CWG from the beginning, but I would say, let the whole thing unfold and the judgement must be delivered after every thing is over.

I was against the CWG from the beginning, but I would say, let the whole thing unfold and the judgement must be delivered after every thing is over.

Actually this might be a good thing for the government, it exposed a-lot of nagging issues holding back India today namely corruption and lack of media control etc. Hopefully the government will implement some strong measures in these areas and the nation will benefit. Least the next time a games or similar event gets organized they will be in a better shape to get the job done. Everyone learns thru experiences including bitter ones.

Actually this might be a good thing for the government, it exposed a-lot of nagging issues holding back India today namely corruption and lack of media control etc. Hopefully the government will implement some strong measures in these areas and the nation will benefit. Least the next time a games or similar event gets organized they will be in a better shape to get the job done. Everyone learns thru experiences including bitter ones.

If that would be the case. The problems were always there to be seen but it was a matter of inaction. The CWG has just highlighted them and brought them into international focus.

I have little hope for a reckoning when all is done.

If that would be the case. The problems were always there to be seen but it was a matter of inaction. The CWG has just highlighted them and brought them into international focus.

I have little hope for a reckoning when all is done.

To be honest I too think so mate :undecided:

The way I see it corruption is so entrenched that it goes all the way from the top politicians right down to the contractors that everyone is bleeding the system dry. Those that benefit won't take kindly to changes in the system and probably hold the power to prevent it too.

To be honest I too think so mate :undecided:

The way I see it corruption is so entrenched that it goes all the way from the top politicians right down to the contractors that everyone is bleeding the system dry. Those that benefit won't take kindly to changes in the system and probably hold the power to prevent it too.

The weird part is, the electorate in India is also taking handouts. Politicians from what I can gather often get voted in to spend government funds for goods like food and TVs to distribute amongst the voters.

The weird part is, the electorate in India is also taking handouts. Politicians from what I can gather often get voted in to spend government funds for goods like food and TVs to distribute amongst the voters.

Really, thats like Thailand where Thaksin used funds to buy luxuries for the poor and win them over (according to a local) which is why the middle class don't like him either. Luckily Wen Jiabao is running the show because least it keeps people below him on the straight and narrow.

Anyway I think we're derailing the thread or are we? lol

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom