What's new

Selex ES radar & other technology on JF-17?

great thread....for the thinkers...

AESA is less likely to be from your Europe. With AESA, JFT would mostly likely require a built in EW suite. This combination is not possible from Selex UK(also the manufacturer of the radar, in Edinburgh) , as the EW portion is on Eurofighter. Whomever will be selected, will be selected as an integrated suite. Power issues, and space issues are technical hurdles, but replacing the KLJ7 will give enough space for a new ECS/Chiller for the LRUs, and an antenna compact enough for the JFT nose will bring it in the AESA club. Drawn power will be around the same as current.

IRST is definitely a big and viable change for the JF17 CONOPS. The key issue is space. If you look at Selex options, none fit. The Chinese will remain as compromise solutions, and not the direction forward (PAF now knows the MTBF and performance of Chinese suites). An IRST for JFT would have to be a distributed architecture, custom designed, and optimised for JF17 BVR combat. Whether it will be only a detection track system, or a recognition system will depend on how much space can be made available for the processing. However, IRST still remains viable and effective tool of air to air combat even with the implementation of partial DIR paradigm in the IR regime.

The Chinese IRST will not have the performance required to fully exploit the working envelope of a SD-10 in BVR engagement, and the claims made by the catalog may not be believed by the Pak AF who know the Chinese and their tactics well by now.

When you ask companies like Selex for a major system change, or similar system as deployed in Gripen or EF, the price goes through the roof. This is a known and present challenge that Pak AF would have to think about, and deal with. Further, most of these initiatives shall be driven by parent's country export control regime, and if they now see JFT as a Pakistani fighter or not.

Needless to say, JF 17 is coming along as an impressive program, that has surprised most internationally, and I feel, will continue to hold many surprises for the enthusiast and analyst community in the future.

Now I am thinking, could it stop at the radar? Since the PAF openly voiced its interest in equipping the JF-17 with IRST, could Selex offer a specially designed solution on that front too? What about the BriteCloud DRFM-based decoy system (for radar-guided AAM) and Misysis DIRCM (for IR-guided AAM)?
Our relationship with Italy in general and with then Selex-Galileo and now Selex ES in specific extend long way back. May it be Griffo radar or Falco UAV, our engagement with them had been on high note. And yes it is time for us to move one step ahead by going for complete TOT for any chosen Selex ES AESA radar and other suites. Again we should only opt for a proven AESA radar platform and stop experimenting with the luck by going for under development platforms. In my view if we dont go TOT of any AESA radar other than Chinese then in the long run we might be at loss both economically and operationally.

There is a part due to be played by the private sector.

Private enterprise can easily partner with others abroad and come up with newer products at am amazing pace;
most of all private sector will always find a way to circumvent any sanctions.

That said there was a case of certain radar which PAF was interested in, originally from Check republic I believe ?
It could track stealth aircraft. That company was stopped by and purchased by uncle sam.
@Oscar can you please correct my memory.

Point being; there is a huge human and technological pool of resources in former Soviet states, Eastern europe and like we discussed last time South Africa.

Private sector will be encouraged to perform if the air force too changes it's attitude; once that happens we can see so much more than just Selex.

I believe the Czech radar was known as the VERA or VERA-NG.

Sorry for going offtopic Sir but you are
Undermining your enemy here which spend 5 time's
Of Its budget on R&D and training and upgrading its technology

For Now i only advice you to do bit more research on Latest Mig-29Upg and M2k
Let me you hint

Latest MiG-29 Upg of IAF is only 4th gen fighter aircraft in South Asia mouted with AESA jammer's Including DRFM

@cerberus I am not undermining or underestimating the IAF Migs or M2K. What I mean to say is the current block 1 (which have now been fitted with KLJ-7V2) and block 2 are suitable challenges for the M2K and Mig-29. That is not to say they are superior which is not the case. Throw F-16 into the mix and these aircraft can be handled on more or less an even footing (give or take). The real challenge would come in dealing with MKI (whose numbers are significant enough that IAF can focus a significant number away from China) and Rafale. To that effect, the JF-17 needs to be brought onto more even footing as the F-16V, Typhoon, and Significant Su-35s would not be coming and the current setup is not sufficient. The best way is to spend on electronics as I advocate above.

Last edited:
Sometimes talking to you becomes very painful. Do you do this on purpose?

1) The APG-80 is better than the APG-79, that's why the comment on the Vipers.

2) Boeing - when they issued the statement about the IRST21 they specifically referred to the APG-79 range.

3) Fire & Forget mode, still maintains data link, with no input from the radar of the host aircraft after launch. The missile seeker takes over, and is still capable of receiving inputs from the host aircraft.

4) IRST's - Western ones have a range < 70km. Missiles - No, for now.

5) Not here to make a believer out of you. Feel free to believe whatever you want.

Reagrds
maybe?

i made the comment relevant as the radar is relevant. the apg-79 is not relevant regardless of which is better or not.
some of the comments were made late in the night so yeah.

Well, given the numbers of JF-17s which will be produced (some 200+ for PAF alone), a customised solution is a lucrative deal for any company; Western or eastern. In due course of time JF-17 production numbers will exceed that of Gripen NG, especially if export orders pour in. Why a second tier defence company forego such an opportunity? Case in point is British Martin Baker. No matter what the sanctions, the opportunity to sell 200-300 ejection seats was too good to be missed. Hence I believe, a customized solution for avionics package with in-house assembly / manufacturing is a real possibility. Costs will surely go up. May be in the tune of $45-50 million but so would the biting strength. A sweet spot for me is keeping the cost at two thirds of Gripen. If we can manage that, JFT will still remain an economical defence solution with an impressive effectiveness / cost ratio.

Will acquiring a western radar mean we will have to abandon Chinese AAMs for JF-17. As per my understanding traditionally weapons and radar are sourced from similar origin. One of the JF-17s greatest plus points has been its capability to field China's latest missiles. China has even more advanced AAMs in R&D and they should be available soon.

If that is the case Pakistan should stick to Chinese and offer western options only as per client request.

Hi,

At this stage---the paf needs to prove to the nation that the JF 17 is the right aircraft for the country---and if it goes ahead and spends 1.5 billion dollars on the 8 F16 package---then there is something truly wrong with the JF17.

I can guarantee you this----if the north korean anti aircraft gun is pointed at the top air marshalls of the air force---they will find fire control radar and electronics and weapons package for the JF 17 to come close to the blk 60 ----.

But the problem is that there is nobody to put their feet to the fire----. The defence minister knows nothing---the prime minister knows nothing---the military generals are clueless---and when the Insane run the Asylum---we know the result is paf.
For every person in support of the F-16 there is someone else in support of the JF-17. Unlike the ill-fated K-8 (which didn't see much development from us), there is some energy behind the JF-17, hence why nuanced technical discussions like this are important. If anything, the thinkers need to direct very specific questions about the F-16, e.g. how much is MDE [major defence article] versus "support" and why; how do we have money for expensive F-16s and not tuning up the JF-17; why 8 F-16s and not 32 Selex-equipped JF-17s; etc. The more specific the questions get, the more exposed (for good or bad) an idea becomes.

Take for example this discussion about using Selex to supply JF-17. By collectively contributing, we can all acknowledge that Chinese weapons will be tough, this is a negative we've uncovered. But then, we know Selex would be willing to work with Denel (and vice-versa), and we could build a relationship with that company too, so this is a good discovery. Fleshing out ideas like this is the way forward, and God-willing, it'll begin affecting the decision-makers in some form.

Wouldnt a western radar system have integration issues with Chinese origin weapon systems. Would prefer weapons and radar be from same origin. Wouldnt want to release Chinese missile performance parameters to a western radar vendor.
This is a key point, it would. An ideal scenario would be PAC or a private Pakistani firm acting as an intermediary between both camps, in order to integrate onto JF-17. That or Pakistan begins investing in alternative programs (e.g. Denel Dynamics). Either way, it is a difficult road, but a rewarding one since it will result in some kind of capacity building for us, which in turn means independence.

There is a part due to be played by the private sector.

Private enterprise can easily partner with others abroad and come up with newer products at am amazing pace;
most of all private sector will always find a way to circumvent any sanctions.

That said there was a case of certain radar which PAF was interested in, originally from Check republic I believe ?
It could track stealth aircraft. That company was stopped by and purchased by uncle sam.
@Oscar can you please correct my memory.

Point being; there is a huge human and technological pool of resources in former Soviet states, Eastern europe and like we discussed last time South Africa.

Private sector will be encouraged to perform if the air force too changes it's attitude; once that happens we can see so much more than just Selex.
Absolutely agreed. Pakistan could try to tie a vendor agreement with Selex ES and Denel Dynamics to an offset agreement whereby the two could set up subsidiaries within Pakistan, or invest (with transparency and stringent checks) in Pakistani firms. Another good thing about the private sector is that it could set up a barrier (being beholden to private shareholders or an external investor, hence obeying stringent IP protocol) to protect Western and South African IP from Chinese access.

great thread....for the thinkers...

AESA is less likely to be from your Europe. With AESA, JFT would mostly likely require a built in EW suite. This combination is not possible from Selex UK(also the manufacturer of the radar, in Edinburgh) , as the EW portion is on Eurofighter. Whomever will be selected, will be selected as an integrated suite. Power issues, and space issues are technical hurdles, but replacing the KLJ7 will give enough space for a new ECS/Chiller for the LRUs, and an antenna compact enough for the JFT nose will bring it in the AESA club. Drawn power will be around the same as current.

IRST is definitely a big and viable change for the JF17 CONOPS. The key issue is space. If you look at Selex options, none fit. The Chinese will remain as compromise solutions, and not the direction forward (PAF now knows the MTBF and performance of Chinese suites). An IRST for JFT would have to be a distributed architecture, custom designed, and optimised for JF17 BVR combat. Whether it will be only a detection track system, or a recognition system will depend on how much space can be made available for the processing. However, IRST still remains viable and effective tool of air to air combat even with the implementation of partial DIR paradigm in the IR regime.

The Chinese IRST will not have the performance required to fully exploit the working envelope of a SD-10 in BVR engagement, and the claims made by the catalog may not be believed by the Pak AF who know the Chinese and their tactics well by now.

When you ask companies like Selex for a major system change, or similar system as deployed in Gripen or EF, the price goes through the roof. This is a known and present challenge that Pak AF would have to think about, and deal with. Further, most of these initiatives shall be driven by parent's country export control regime, and if they now see JFT as a Pakistani fighter or not.

Needless to say, JF 17 is coming along as an impressive program, that has surprised most internationally, and I feel, will continue to hold many surprises for the enthusiast and analyst community in the future.
Yes I don't think we can make full use of Selex ES' capacity within the current Block-II frame, it would have to be Block-III, assuming the airframe has been lightened and enlarged, and up-rated RD-93 variant secured. I would say that the goodies don't need to come at once in Block-III, it could be spread out to Block-IV and Block-V, leaving more time for airframe improvements.

That said, while cost is an issue, it is time we push the idea of valuing cost on relative terms, not comparative. So while a tailored Selex kit for JF-17 will cost more in comparative terms than Block-II or a Chinese solution, what about the relative gains? If the relative gains are substantial and give us a credible means of defence against Su-30MKI and Rafale, then perhaps it would be a good idea to take that route. As I mentioned before, I am miffed that we could agree to ask for 8 F-16s, which will cost north of $80mn a unit, and then balk at the cost of improving our locally sourced mainstay fighter.

Well, given the numbers of JF-17s which will be produced (some 200+ for PAF alone), a customised solution is a lucrative deal for any company; Western or eastern. In due course of time JF-17 production numbers will exceed that of Gripen NG, especially if export orders pour in. Why a second tier defence company forego such an opportunity? Case in point is British Martin Baker. No matter what the sanctions, the opportunity to sell 200-300 ejection seats was too good to be missed. Hence I believe, a customized solution for avionics package with in-house assembly / manufacturing is a real possibility. Costs will surely go up. May be in the tune of $45-50 million but so would the biting strength. A sweet spot for me is keeping the cost at two thirds of Gripen. If we can manage that, JFT will still remain an economical defence solution with an impressive effectiveness / cost ratio.
Agreed. If I could add, it'd be a good idea to ask that a portion of our money go back into some kind of offset, ideally investment in our private defence sector. If need be, a private firm could be set up to take on the integration work within Pakistan.
Will acquiring a western radar mean we will have to abandon Chinese AAMs for JF-17. As per my understanding traditionally weapons and radar are sourced from similar origin. One of the JF-17s greatest plus points has been its capability to field China's latest missiles. China has even more advanced AAMs in R&D and they should be available soon.

If that is the case Pakistan should stick to Chinese and offer western options only as per client request.
There is a third way, and that would be to get a third party, e.g. PAC or a private Pakistani firm, to do the integration. Yes, both outside parties (West and China) may have secrecy issues, but neither side is going to resolve it by not trusting PAC. Either way PAC has the most to lose, so it'd be best to keep the line of communication and cooperation open, so as to increase PAC (and PAF's) incentive to protect trade secrets.

I talked about this above. The answer is, it depends. Previously, IAF M2K were rumored to be carrying Russian R-27 Alamo. The issue is the source codes for the weapons and then integrating those into the fire control radar. That being said it is possible to fire Chinese missiles off of a western radar and vice a versa if one has the codes to integrate them. Now the chinese are probably not keen to provide the source codes to western countries given they dont want those countries to pass along the codes to their rivals. The western countries are unlikely going to want china to have access to their radar with any great depth (i.e. tinkering with coding, though I doubt they care if China gets a close look at the actual bird and systems because the Chinese already have similar systems (albiet probably not as advanced) and are unlikely to steal the IP unless they have protracted time with these systems outside the bird. However given Selex history of allowing PAC's Avionics Production Factory assembly/production rights on the previous Grifo radars, I am certain that Italy and even the UK would allow Pakistan to independently integrate the chinese weapons onto the JF-17 equipped with their radars and systems. I believe that PAF has mentioned in the past that the Chinese have (if I am not mistaken) @Quwa and @MastanKhan or any of the others can verify this, given Pakistan permission to integrate its Sd-10 onto any radar they choose, which is why the Grifo S was even considered in the first place. Also they would unlikely be looking to get a western fire control AESA radar if they felt they would not be able to integrate its mainstay weapon onto this.

Additionally, dont forget, PAF has many Aim-120C5 AMRAAMs which certainly can be fitted with Selex fire control radars. Certainly given Selex and Denel cooperation on Brazilian Gripens, if translated to a Pakistani projects would allow be it to be certified to use R-darter (or Marlin in the future) as well so there are a multitude of options. Pakistan could also go for MICA or Meteor (though that might be more challenging). Again though, I find it hard to believe (though not impossible given PAF' remarkable ability to sometimes jump the gun), that a work around in this manner is not being discussed with regards to western FCRs.

Last edited:
Selex AESA won't come on the JF-17 as firstly its still in test mode on the Gripen NG, secondly it needs to be cleared for sale, thirdly the Chinese will need to integrate it on the JF-17, no Western company is stupid enough to give access to such tech which the Chinese will copy by day's end. JF-17 will end up getting home made Chinese AESA.

As for the JF-17 being a credible defence against the Rafale or MKI, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Let's see if they can take on the Mig-21 Bison in the arena first.

Nothing about what you have said is relevant. Firstly, China would not be the one that needs to integrate the radar or electronics into the JF-17. PAC is more than capable as they install Spanish the Indra EW suite themselves amongst other systems. They have in the past integrated Grifo radars onto F-7s and Mirage III on their own without chinese or french help, so I dont think you have a clue about what your talking about. Secondly, Just because a radar is in testing does not mean the same radar cant make the sale on another aircraft down the road or that a separate radar in the same vein cannot be developed for the JF-17. As for MKI or Rafale, we have said that it is not a credible enough match for them, but if you think that the Gripen NG is not a credible threat to them then you are gravely mistaken and the discussion has been around creating an electronic suite based on the same suite on the NG which would make the JF-17 on much better and even threatening footing with both the MKI and Rafale (even if it is not their equal). Beyond that, to claim the Mig-21 Bison is any type of match for the JF-17 is you underestimating your enemy and living on the dream that the JF-17 is actually a modified Mig-21 which only India is still touting. I would suggest if you want to be taken seriously and are here for a discussion then please use a dose of objectivity and get back to reality because again, nothing about what you have said is at all based in reality.

Nothing about what you have said is relevant. Just because a radar is in testing does not mean the same radar cant make the sale on another aircraft down the road or that a separate radar in the same vein cannot be developed for the JF-17. As for MKI or Rafale, we have said that it is not a credible enough match for them, but if you think that the Gripen NG is not a credible threat to them then you are gravely mistaken and the discussion has been around creating an electronic suite based on the same suite on the NG which would make the JF-17 on much better and even threatening footing with both the MKI and Rafale (even if it is not their equal). Beyond that, to claim the Mig-21 Bison is any type of match for the JF-17 is you underestimating your enemy and living on the dream that the JF-17 is actually a modified Mig-21 which only India is still touting. I would suggest if you want to be taken seriously and are here for a discussion then please use a dose of objectivity and get back to reality because again, nothing about what you have said is at all based in reality.
Exactly right, and I wouldn't have started this thread had it not been for the fact that the PAF told Alan Warnes (for his Paris Air Show piece) that a Selex AESA radar was under consideration. If one is able to get into talks about AESA radars with that company, then the remaining elements, e.g. IRST and ECM/EW, can be pulled in as well. Rationally speaking, if one is able to acquire the same kind of on-board sensors and self-protection systems found on the Gripen and put them on a structurally improved JF-17 (i.e. Block-III and later), then why wouldn't it be a credible threat to a superior fighter? What's the decisive element that would pull another 4.5 gen platform so above the JF-17 (+Selex) that the JF-17 (+Selex) would not be able to survive or win? Moreover, the fact that there are people who are going to bring up the idea of a MiG-21bis besting the JF-17 Block-II or even Block-I clearly demonstrates that this line of reasoning is not limited to us; quite inconsistent to dissuade others to engage in something whilst one does it freely elsewhere.

Last edited:
Very Informative & productive thread. Thank you all seniors for such discussion. My thumbs-up to all... Hope the same may continue in neat & clean manners.

If i am not wrong, the mindset was about JFT cheaper by the cost because built locally and helped reduced the price. The word cost was insisted not about the tech at all. Though etc AESA like discussed above with all those suits will increase the cost but i think in general calculation it wouldn't go out of the roof that we have projecting this craft since start. The cost will remain low as compare to NG etc with similar packages, in future JFT. The foundation is based upon cheaper by the cost like assembly line and production made it easy so the gadgets will be added as desired and wouldn't end as a high cost JFT.

IMO, involving the private sector would indeed overcome the iota of doubt between the parties regarding leak of secrets though yet i don't see any firm around but could be done.

All the best.

If I could add, it'd be a good idea to ask that a portion of our money go back into some kind of offset, ideally investment in our private defence sector. If need be, a private firm could be set up to take on the integration work within Pakistan.

That.... Could be hard to sell. Investors sentiment hasn't been that good and more often than not they have asked for sovereign guarantees. The fact that private sector has not groomed and matured to a level to take on a task of this complexity that too in defence sector will factor in invariably. PAC might be the best bet here.

All included what kind of per unit price are we looking at, since JF-17 is after all a "cost effective" solution which never was meant to "beat" the Gripen-NG in terms of cutting edge technology. I do like the idea as it makes good sense, however costing is a prime consideration here.

@Quwa

I believe we can go a 2 way solution with same design. We can come up with a full european solution including engine subsystems which is High tech as well as keep one with mix tech of low cost solution so I think it can come out as a combo with a high and mid tech systems which can help us having both high and mid tech home grown solutions.

We can offer an all composite airframe in that case and could add up other goodies like FFBW unstablile dynamics subsystems EJ 230 engine etc.

Back
Top Bottom