What's new

Selex ES radar & other technology on JF-17?

Didn't PAC signed a deal with the Chinese for an electronics facility, for local manufacture?
A dedicated radar AESA build/assembly facility will go a long way to cut cost and provide radars to PNS, PAF and PA.

Even if its for assembly and repair. This will add one more component in your self reliance. And it also creates jobs.

Didn't PAC signed a deal with the Chinese for an electronics facility, for local manufacture?
A dedicated radar AESA build/assembly facility will go a long way to cut cost and provide radars to PNS, PAF and PA.

Even if its for assembly and repair. This will add one more component in your self reliance. And it also creates jobs.
If I remember correctly there is decent capability to assemble radars in Pakistan. However I dont think we have the facility to enhance the product that we are producing. This should be the next stage however it needs a lot of will and resolve and some money.
A

If I remember correctly there is decent capability to assemble radars in Pakistan. However I dont think we have the facility to enhance the product that we are producing. This should be the next stage however it needs a lot of will and resolve and some money.
A

Thanks, kind sir. What I mentioned was a new facility. And read it here, of course, that new land was acquired for the new electronics factory. A couple of 100 million deal. Anyways, one step at time and before you know there is an aviatioin city.

All the best.

看!不止一架战机。Look!More than a fighter plane
122118qvg3lavg374do24g.jpg

While we are aware of a Selex ES AESA radar (model unknown) being considered for the JF-17, I wonder if there's potential for deeper cooperation. We know the PAF's ties with any Western vendor will always be on the tough side in terms of cost, supplier-reliability, IP concerns, etc, so we have to keep this in mind as a dampener in terms of expectations. That said, the PAF is managing this well, especially in recent years.

On to the idea.

Selex ES is one of the key vendors behind the Gripen NG, providing that fighter with its Raven ES-05 AESA radar, Skyward IRST, and BriteCloud DRFM decoy.

If you look closely, you'll notice that each of the above programs are distinct from Selex ES' work on the Typhoon; in other words, they're tailor made for the Gripen NG.

You will also notice from the PAF's own wording (from the Paris Air Show article) that while Selex was offering an AESA radar for JF-17, but it never said anything about the model, even though many of us kept referring to the Vixen-series.

For this reason I wonder if Selex is offering a tailor-made solution for the JF-17.

Now I am thinking, could it stop at the radar? Since the PAF openly voiced its interest in equipping the JF-17 with IRST, could Selex offer a specially designed solution on that front too? What about the BriteCloud DRFM-based decoy system (for radar-guided AAM) and Misysis DIRCM (for IR-guided AAM)?

Now asking Selex ES to support a complete sensor suite (AESA radar and IRST) and self-protection kit (based on BriteCloud and Misysis) for JF-17 is an expensive proposition, but it might not be bad.

By building an increasing proportion of the airframe in-house, Pakistan is able to - an extent - control costs in key areas. Unfortunately, it'll still import key materials from elsewhere, so the more it can generate at home (especially in terms of metals and composites) the better. But even if we factor in imports from China, it still isn't expensive, relatively speaking.

With a low-cost airframe and engine, the PAF has a lot of vertical room to build atop on JF-17, it could afford a comparatively pricey sensor and electronic warfare package. The end result could be a platform comparable to the Gripen NG, but at a markedly lower cost. If Selex could secure a PAF order, it'd be providing suites for 50-150 (based on the total 150-250 planned) fighters, possibly more if export orders from the likes of Egypt, Morocco, etc, are secured.

A side point, when you think about the wonder, you really do wonder why the PAF is even giving time to think about new F-16s, especially if it is to pay $80-100mn a unit.

Background on each of Selex ES' subsystems:

BriteCloud - http://www.finmeccanica.com/en/-/britecloud-3

Misysis - http://www.finmeccanica.com/en/-/miysis-dircm-3

Raven ES-05 - http://www.finmeccanica.com/en/-/raven-1

Skyward IRST - http://www.finmeccanica.com/en/-/skyward-1

@Horus, @Bratva, @MastanKhan, @Zarvan @waz @Khafee @araz @HRK @Blue Marlin ; your thoughts?
dont know about the techs much but i can say this that blk 3 is the real deal even china is waiting for them to induct and as my amateur research and analysis if blk 3 does not outmatch f-16 then it will be a failure altogether but judging from developments blk 3 will be badass

Few years back National Electronic Complex with $ 300 million funding was planed with the technical assistance of Chinese but due some other needs funds were diverted, if I remember it correctly that facility is still not fully functional but the positive thing is that some of funds were allocated in previous budget (I have't seen this year budgetary documents so can't comment about it )

Few years back National Electronic Complex with $ 300 million funding was planed with the technical assistance of Chinese but due some other needs funds were diverted, if I remember it correctly that facility is still not fully functional but the positive thing is that some of funds were allocated in previous budget (I have't seen this year budgetary documents so can't comment about it )

Dear HRK, many thanks for the update. The positive thing is that its still on the agenda. Despite delays... it will be up an running.. another building block in your industrial development!

Well, the thing is the JF-17 can still remain a low cost fighter, and you can have high end fighter called the JF-19, with all the bells and whistles.

Unfortunately, I have to admit, cash is a major issue as well. China does not seem convinced on the low cost model, or it would have happened by now. But given the tech coming in on the JF-19, they might?

@Khafee bro can you please enlighten us about JF-19??? There is no such project in PAC as per my sources inside...

Your sources are right, there is no such project.

It was a suggestion from my side that with a degree of commonality, you could have two different platforms, JF17 low end & JF19 high end.

They got chance of that when Chinese invited them to join J-10 program and they ignored.
Chances comes rarely and they must not be missed.

@Khafee as per my suggestion , after inducting blk3 , PAC must heavily redesign this jet to a medium weight jet and make it superior to any f16 block that came or will come. This must be in a state of 4++ Gen ( the reason i am saying it to be a 4++ gen and not 5th coz russians inspired me in a sense that su35 being a 4++ is now inducting in RuAF) So same route PAF can take and use these produced medium weight to replace F16MLUs in near future and as it is confirmed by my source that no atter what , FC31 will be inducted in PAF by 2023 in numbers. So the advantages of Medium weight jf17 would be that it will comprise of chinese weapon package which is very deadly and if PL-21 enter thunder then RAFALE would be outmatched by thunders as PL-21 has a horrible long range. Same way we can use YJ18 missiles for anti ship missions which cant be used currently due to limited Payload. But what concerns me is that PAF wont opt for this option because to much extent a light weight fighter has enough to act as a defense line of pakistan and our ambitions are not on attacking mode deep inside territory of india

They got chance of that when Chinese invited them to join J-10 program and they ignored.

j10 has no use here

Last edited:
Well this is just my opinion, and I'm sure PAF has a very valid reason for it, but MAYBE it would have been better to go for the J10 right from day one, instead of JF17.

@Oscar @MastanKhan What would you say?

@MarvellousThunder@PDC
dear, this is a bad thing to disclose the internal things here at public forum.

Your sources are right, there is no such project.

It was a suggestion from my side that with a degree of commonality, you could have two different platforms, JF17 low end & JF19 high end.
If my memory is right than i think i have heard here at PDF that a design for Medium-weight jet is ready from years, and PAC is only waiting for money to start the project.
@The Eagle @HRK @ACE OF THE AIR

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom