What's new

Scientists develop new halal meat test

I think its halal but because a Horse is a useful animal no one usually eats them especially from a historical point of view the habit of eating horses never really set in ! :unsure:
I heard some fish are not halal too(and some are).. is that true?

ah.. may be its only gujrati muslims.. who believe it.. or some sect perhaps.
@BDforever .. you are an expert on fish matters, your view plz.

I dunno mate my own interpretations are increasingly unorthodox so I can't say ! :unsure:

We have developed a similar test but instead of using peptides (which are fragments of proteins), we use the DNA. The techniques use to detect peptides (LC + mass spectroscopy) is relatively expensive. Detection of swine DNA is much easier and economical.

However, a better and more desirable test would be the one that could detect the Zabiha (slaughtered in Islamic/Jewish ways) versus non-Zabiha. We are brainstorming on how to do that. We think that some stress-related markers should be released in the blood of two types of animals (one that are slaughtered while conscious and others that are slaughtered following stunning), which can be used to for differentiation purposes.

We have developed a similar test but instead of using peptides (which are fragments of proteins), we use the DNA. The techniques use to detect peptides (LC + mass spectroscopy) is relatively expensive. Detection of swine DNA is much easier and economical.

However, a better and more desirable test would be the one that could detect the Zabiha (slaughtered in Islamic/Jewish ways) versus non-Zabiha. We are brainstorming on how to do that. We think that some stress-related markers should be released in the blood of two types of animals (one that are slaughtered while conscious and others that are slaughtered following stunning), which can be used to for differentiation purposes.
so basically you will find out which animal was more stressed while being killed and call it halal?

ah.. may be its only gujrati muslims.. who believe it.. or some sect perhaps.
@BDforever .. you are an expert on fish matters, your view plz.
controversial topic

In Hanafi madthab, it is haram to eat shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp, oyster, etc.)

In Shafi'i and Hanbali, everything from the sea is halal.

In Maliki, everything but the eel is halal.

controversial topic

In Hanafi madthab, it is haram to eat shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp, oyster, etc.)

In Shafi'i and Hanbali, everything from the sea is halal.

In Maliki, everything but the eel is halal.
most bdians are second type..right?

so basically you will find out which animal was more stressed while being killed and call it halal?
We don't know. We dont know yet which technique puts an animal under more stress; stunning+decapitation or cutting the jugulars of a conscious animal. We are only thinking that sress-related markers can be used.

We don't know. We dont know yet which technique puts an animal under more stress; stunning+decapitation or cutting the jugulars of a conscious animal. We are only thinking that sress-related markers can be used.
ah ok.. I think by now it would have been known as it is easier to measure which is more stressful.

ah ok.. I think by now it would have been known as it is easier to measure which is more stressful.
No, it is not known. Studies have obviously been conducted but mostly at physiological and not molecular level. Physiological studies have been inconclusive on which method results in more pain. Please note that stress cant be equated for pain.

No, it is not known. Studies have obviously been conducted but mostly at physiological and not molecular level. Physiological studies have been inconclusive on which method results in more pain. Please note that stress cant be equated for pain.
thank you, do keep us posted if you find anything new.

Back
Top Bottom