What's new

Saudis Agree to Provide Syrian Rebels With Mobile Antiaircraft Missiles

That's because they have been in the process of being doomed..:chilli:

The SAA are mostly Sunnis if you’d look at the religious groups in Syria. The only one who can be doomed is you if your Safavid neighbors decide to cut the oil, a crisis will erupt.

Either the brave armies of Jordan and GCC start an offensive to capture Damascus or it’ll go the SAA way.

Why is Saudi Arabia scared of arming them with decent weapons? Manpads won't be a game changer they can be avoided.

Of course it is, but we'd like to hear @BLACK EAGLE reasoning to that, maybe he knows something we don't.
It'a not fear, but rather coordination and cooperation. Saudi Arabia is even more cautious than the West about arming Qaeda or the possibility of their financed arms falling in their hands. Now, they have guaranteed FSA enmity with ISIL, and the FSA, especially in Southern Syria, have got matured and united. So, it's time to provide them with the sophisticated arms.

Their fears from Qaeda has turned to be completely justified, as ISIL job has been undermining FSA.

manpads are incredibly easy to operate, any ill trained grunt can use one. Sophisticated air defence (Low-medium range SAMs) systems need incredibly well trained personnel to man them and use them properly. The Syrian opposition do not have these personnel. Acquiring such systems then training personnel to use them and building the required infrastructure to use them effectively could take years.

I remember seeing a video of them using a SAM system, there are some defectors who can operate them. However, I never knew that it could take years thanks for the information. So shouldn't they be armed with artillery/missiles?

It'a not fear, but rather coordination and cooperation. Saudi Arabia is even more cautious than the West about arming Qaeda or the possibility of their financed arms falling in their hands. Now, they have guaranteed FSA enmity with ISIL, and the FSA, especially in Southern Syria, have got matured and united. So, it's time to provide them with the sophisticated arms.

Their fears from Qaeda has turned to be completely justified, as ISIL job has been undermining FSA.

With exception of ISIS, why are they also against Liwa Abbas or Nusra? Supporting FSA only doesn't make sense there are plenty more other rebels. I think you're speaking of Islamic front plus Nusra plus Liwa Abbas not the FSA.

With exception of ISIS, why are they also against Liwa Abbas or Nusra? Supporting FSA only doesn't make sense there are plenty more other rebels. I think you're speaking of Islamic front plus Nusra plus Liwa Abbas not the FSA.

Liwa abu fadl al abbas are Shia Safavids on bashars side

The SAA are mostly Sunnis if you’d look at the religious groups in Syria. The only one who can be doomed is you if your Safavid neighbors decide to cut the oil, a crisis will erupt.

Either the brave armies of Jordan and GCC start an offensive to capture Damascus or it’ll go the SAA way.
Hmm, you won't dare to my dear friend as Iraq is in much need for us than the other way around. Their only port to export oil which is through Basrah is too narrow and risky, so it has no option but Jordan. However, we have alternatives, such as huge reserves of oil shale which will be starting to be produced in 2017, nuclear reactors which will be completed in 2022 and the last but not least the clean energy. which we have already started investing in.

As soon as the oil pipe is completed we will have a card that would greatly undermine your economy. So be a good boy.:happy:

The whole Syria plan is failed anyway, SAA side is still the strongest force, all that while people claim the fight is against the Alawite SAA or Bashar, Bashar leaving won’t change anything now. SAA can’t leave or they will be killed.

Many Sunnis are on the SAA side considering many of them are seculars or simply don’t care about extreme ideologies like that of Nusra and ISIL. Since the 'FSA' decided to side with the Al Qaeda terrorists in the beginning they’re paying for it now.

The only thing Saudis & Qataris did is destroy Syria.

There's no such thing as secular or extremists, there's the difference between people who fear God and people who don't.

I remember seeing a video of them using a SAM system, there are some defectors who can operate them.

Some isn't enough to operate multiple SAM systems in coordination or effectively. You need a lot of highly trained manpower, you need a network of radars, sophisticated command and control facilities as well as a lot of different but all equally important things. For example, the Egyptian Air Defence has more personnel serving in it than the Jordanian armed forces (and I have the utmost respect for them). Protecting the skies using missiles isn't an easy thing to do.

However, I never knew that it could take years thanks for the information.

It takes a couple of months in a sophisticated conventional military to induct and integrate new SAM systems into their network, a couple of months with already highly trained personnel.

. So shouldn't they be armed with artillery/missiles?

Depends, trying to arm them like a conventional military will not work, they may need some artillery to for example hold on to areas they already control or for fire support. This might keep going on for a long long time until one sides resolve goes, its a war of attrition.

I remember seeing a video of them using a SAM system, there are some defectors who can operate them. However, I never knew that it could take years thanks for the information. So shouldn't they be armed with artillery/missiles?

I was talking about picked moderate FSA factions, of course Nusra is not one of them.

Depends, trying to arm them like a conventional military will not work, they may need some artillery to for example hold on to areas they already control or for fire support. This might keep going on for a long long time until one sides resolve goes, its a war of attrition.

Why not? Some of them have operated grad rockets and tanks before, who says they can't operate short range missiles? Why does it have to be an war of attrition?

I was talking about picked moderate FSA factions, of course Nusra is not one of them.

This makes no sense because we know they are not on the frontline and barely make up the opposition, if Saudi Arabia wants to support rebels most of them are Islamic and I don't see why they're against that. What's the reasoning behind that?

@BLACKEAGLE @Doristos

Manpad can be easily countered nowadays.
In Kargil militants & PA possesed hundreds of Manpad's like Stingers & Anza's which lead to the loss of a Mi-8 & a MiG-21 in the initial days of war.

But when we started using Laser Guided bombs(LGB's) they became as obsolete as dodo there.
Though I have to admit tha LGB's ma be costly for Syrian Air force.

Why not? Some of them have operated grad rockets and tanks before, who says they can't operate short range missiles?

Operating something and being effective are two different things. For instance, using heavy armour conventionally against a force which has more and superior heavy armour to you isn't smart, however, using RPGs when said heavy armour isn't being supported by infantry (which the SAA to this day hasn't stopped doing) will be much more effective. Their approach must be similar to that of the Viet Cong against US troops.

Why does it have to be an war of attrition?

It already is, they've been at it for quite some time now and there's no clear result over the horizon. The victor will be the force which can hold out the longest.

Operating something and being effective are two different things. For instance, using heavy armour conventionally against a force which has more and superior heavy armour to you isn't smart, however, using RPGs when said heavy armour isn't being supported by infantry (which the SAA to this day hasn't stopped doing) will be much more effective. Their approach must be similar to that of the Viet Cong against US troops.

Supply them with short range missiles here and there to target weapons depots or military bases. There's nothing wrong with that and they don't need to imitate anybody.

It already is, they've been at it for quite some time now and there's no clear result over the horizon. The victor will be the force which can hold out the longest.

It's only like that because the world wants it to be that way, this is why they allow war criminals to join the Geneva talks and this is why foreign intelligence services visit Assad's palace in Damascus. They side with him and want him to stay in power while they put on a show that they are against them.

....... @Frogman

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom