What's new

Saudi ‘seeking Pakistan arms for Syrian rebels’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm Down

This is just one source reporting this, there is no proof that Pakistan is going to be selling weapons to KSA for the purpose of forwarding it to FSA. We Pakistanis are fighting for our lives here, the last thing we want is to get in involved in another conflict. If you look at Pakistan's posture, it has largely kept itself out of the Syrian conflict and has maintained a neutral stance.
I'm totally calm dear.
My comment was not about Pakistan's intentions to train them or not, but an answer to @Aeronaut who was talking about morally supporting Syrians.

I don't think that is a nice way to address Indians.

:lol:,
I am sure you know "exactly" whom he meant.

Saudi prince demanding it of Pakistan - is there any room for refusing to supply them?

You think sending your people to go and die in Syria is a good way to get revenge on Iran?

Who is talking about sending people ? Just sell weapons like Iran is doing it in Syria...by the way Iran is really sending well trained Ex-Officers of their National Revolution Guards, and I have nothing against it, because I can understand Iran in this issue.....a Hisbollah-Iran-Chia route should be always open to hold the hands with the Palestinian friends, not like the Egypts or Saudi which have closed their borders and are not interested to their Gaza-Brothers........or why are all this Sunni and Whabi jihadis not conquering Israel ? I know its off topic........

He is a chinese apparently. I surely know what he meant.

You have no clue.

hint: check out his post history - if the Arabs/ Iranians and the Israelis here are to be believed then he is none other than a banned member called "elis" - check out his post history too when you are at it.

You have no clue.

hint: check out his post history - if the Arabs/ Iranians and the Israelis here are to be believed then he is none other than a banned member called "elis" - check out his post history too when you are at it.

Then he is some false flagger. Not interested in researching about a false flagger.

Iran and Pakistan share a long border. It is much easier for Iran to ignite troubles in Pak, than for Syrian rebels to do so to Russia. It is not a good idea to sell weapons to a friendly neighbour's enemy.

If Pak is really looking at it as an export opportunity, as many pakistanis have been trying to paint it, well there are many other states and non state actors to sell to, from Mexican or Colombian cartels to war torn african nations. Why sell to belligerents so close to you?

Especially at a time when Pakistan is about to go to war on its west - would you want Iran clandestinely supplying heavy weapons to rebels in balochistan and waziristan, and see your armored columns get blown up by them, or your helicopters shot down? Wouldd you then accept Iran's justification that they were simply doing business and looking to boost their defence industry?

The point you are missing is that when Saudi asks Pakistan then it's not a choice. Saudi: Jump, Pakistan: how high?

How many enemies Chinese and Israelis have made since they have supplied arms from the apaetheid, Congo, Bolivia, Argentina to Afghani mujahideen?

Its hogwash, suppliers get away with it. Thats what we need to do.

Heck, Egypt provided AK-47's and RPG's to the Americans in return for cash during the Afghan-Soviet war.

@Hyperion

We should do what gunsmiths do. Sell weapons and stock up money.

Russians and Iranians are busy arming Asad, Saudis are arming FSA. None of which is our fault.

We are just selling weapons. Pure business, no hard feelings either way.

plz understand selling of Pakistani weapon to Syrian rebels is not that simple matter, it has strategic sensitivities attached to it. 'We are in a War zone, which is spread from Indus to Nile river any inflow of arms and ammunition or employed techniques and strategies from either side in any sector find its way to other sectors'.

In our case, any degree of our hot involvement in Syrian crises will effect us negatively not only at diplomatic level but domestically as well, just consider a scenario of flowing of arms and other unwanted elements form Syria to other regional countries particularly towards the Afghanistan & FATA. how long do we want to keep our domestic theater active....??

KSA and Turkey are supporting the rebellions against Asad government, on the other hand Iran is supporting Asad regime, obviously they all have their stakes & interest in Syria which we need to understand before to take any strategic decision about Syria.

Iran & Syria was in alliance to post a minimum deterrence against Isreal, Lebanon was the Afghanistan of the middle east in this terms but the withdrawal of Syrian forces from Lebanon after the Murder of Rafiq Hariri was the first blow to the Iran-Syrian alliance and the Isreal's attack on Lebanon in 2006 was to neutralized the threat of Iranian assets to a certain degree. Most of the internet and printed material analyse the Syrian situation from 2011 and link it with the Arab spring, but in my personal opinion it started from with he murder of Mr. Rafiq Hariri of Lebanon.

Turkey & Syria never enjoyed a friendly relationship with each other except for the shorter period from 2002 till 2011, due to historical and regional political reasons. With the development of the internal situation of Syria, Turkey again opted the traditional policy of countering the Syrian government and her influence in the region, which is understandable due the to historic baggage of Syrian support to PKK and being a traditional ally of Russia.

KSA & Syria have history of on & off diplomatic relationship, which mostly remain strained, but two events Murder of Rafiq Rhariri and support of Hizbullah during the 2006 war from Assad regime, are the most vital events that dropped the level of diplomatic ties b/w the two countries to the lowest level.

Syria is unfortunately paying the price of carrying the baggage of history of hostile or strained relations with its immediate neighbour, secondly due to strategic compulsion it opted the camp of USSR in ME regional politics, which at that time created a strategic rift of her with the other regional players and put her in undue competition of great game of Middle East.

Unfortunately, we are facing a bit similar situation in Pakistan, we are facing strategically similar situation in Afghanistan as Syria was encountered in Lebanon, our Pak-Iran relations are similar to KSA-Syria relations and adding to that Iran thinks we are supporting anti Iran elements same as Turkish government have grievances to Syria about PKK support.

As of now Assad regime survived due to the support of Russia and China, on the other hand its only KSA as Saudies went too far in their Syrian adventure, for them now its point of no return, now they can't left their quest in the middle, because if Assad regime survives it will be a potential threat to KSA and it will also decrease the influence of KSA in the region.

Same is the case for Iran if Syrian regime falls it will decrease the influence and capabilities of Iran to post a counter threat to Isreal, which Iran think necessary for its national security.

I don't find any role of Pakistan in the regional politics of Middle east, any arm deal will not simply remain arm export deal it will be termed as picking the sides in a regional conflict and in Afghanistan we ourselves need to have better alignment with Russia, China and Iran to resolve the Afghan issue.

We should emphasis the diplomatic resolution of Syrian Imbroglio, which should ensure the legitimate interest of neighbouring countries of Syria.

Last edited:
Look at the result of PAkistan's getting into USSR/U.S.A. war in Afghanistan today.

This will be more bloody few years into the future . @Aeronaut Suppliers get away since they are sitting thousands of miles away which is not the case with Pakistan .

Made friends not enemies .

Afghanistan borders Pakistan. Syria doesn't.

More than Afghanistan, look at the result in Pakistan today.

Taking sides in a sectarian war would be much worse.
No one's taking sides in this sectarian conflict. Did you hear the Pakistani PM give any sectarian speech against Al-Assad or Iran??

We're just selling weapons to the Saudis. After that they decide what they want to do with those weapons. Plain and simple.

Our focus is on further developing our defense industry.

Its just business.

Will it still be considered business if India start selling weapons to TTP ? Just asking.

TTP isn't a country. Saudi Arabia is a country.

Can't believe you compared to two.

Heck, Egypt provided AK-47's and RPG's to the Americans in return for cash during the Afghan-Soviet war.

Do you know what sort of weapons are being recovered from the TTP?
What is the source of RDX they used in various operations and bombings?
What is their weapon supply route?

All the big powers while selling weapons always keep in mind their foreign policy and strategic goals. those who advocate sale of weapons to Syria should first of all declare that they do not believe in two nation theory, the Quaid and defy Iqbal who said (aik hon musalman haram ki pasbani k liay). These saudis have gone out of their mind and frustrated to their core by siding with the cia, mi6 to destroy a muslim country. The act itself is highly condemable. Syrians whatever they are irrespective of their sect are muslims and if the west is against it. this is just because that the existance of Bashar al Asad is a threat to Israel. By destroying Syria, the Arabs will strike another nail in their coffin. Pakistanis should never ever sell weapons to any country be it a musim or non- muslim, if their is a slight chance of it being used against a muslim country. My parents are sunni but i am not, i am a muslim, any body who says kalima is a musim, be it shia or sunni, if there is addition in kalima, i have no objection as long as they believe in Allah and the Prophet. It is for Allah to decide that who is muslim or not and it is not a prerogative of any bloody mulla. To me results and actions matter. I can only see Shia Ahmadinijad and hasan nasrullah and syria fighting the americans whereas sunni or wahabis standing by them. What a shame. I mean come on instead of declaring each other non muslims, first fight the real enemy and they are undoubtedly americans and their allies hell bent on isolating and destroying muslims. A BIG NO TO WEAPONS SALES TO SAUDIS IF THEY ARE TO BE USED AGAINST SYRIA.

If money is everything, then Pakistanis should not object to idea of Big 3 in cricket.

I see how arming the rebels has worked so far after 3 years, how this so called 'moral' support of Syrians is ending up killing them.

If you want to arm rebels, do it, but no disrespect dear, all these statements about supporting 'Syrians' morally and all these tirades about caring for Syrians are becoming ridiculous. For God's sake your own country is still suffering from all these random militias on your soil and Pakistani government is still considering negotiating with them, the very same who butcher innocent Pakistanis and now exporting this failed experience to another country is laughable. If Pakistan wants to help Syrians, it should mediate between all sides to stop fighting, because whatever this fighting has brought, it has not helped common Syrians even a little bit and arming rebels will only destroy Syrians more and more.

Assad is not even gone yet and rebels have already killed thousands of each other and still doing it on a daily basis, I can't imagine what all these foreigners will do for power to get a piece of Syrian pie. And btw, FSA is barely existent anymore, it has been swallowed by much more extremist factions by now.

• We are NOT arming anyone - neither the FSA nor Asad.
  • There is a demand for weapons which we will fulfill simply because we want that money.
  • We have no share in the Syrian pie.

thts a reason to sell weapons to terrorists? hope we dont sell em...am i kewl with screwin al asshead..but arms militants..nope dnt support it.

We are not directly going and handing out arms to them. We are selling to someone who will armt them. Like the Israelis sold weapons to the US which later armed the Mujahideenz.

Israelis, Indians and Chinese too :D

This is pure business, Saudis have money, we have the weapons. No questions asked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom