What's new

Saudi Arabia, India sign military cooperation pact

@al-Hasani my surprise is solely due to the fact that I am a researcher in agriculture...and so far there has been no proer input of Saudi fruits in journal articles nor in FAO except what I quoted citrus, melons, figs, peaches, grapes dates, mangoes and mangosteens ...

My only question was how come 2013 report of FAO has no mention of the other fruits displayed? The picture shows more than that I mentioned...and def more than the 2 I recognized in the picture...

For the reason I mentioned. Lack of data. Mostly information comes from a provincial level. Obviously that report is bogus since everyone familiar with agriculture in KSA would tell you that KSA obviously produces more than just those 7 fruits!

If there is not even 1 single mention of olive trees that are native to the northern regions of KSA and where one KSA province (Al-Jouf) has 14 million olive trees (look at the report I posted) then obviously they are not up to date or something is wrong with their information.

I could now keep posting photos of all those tropical fruits produced in KSA naturally but that would be pointless.

Here is some news about Mexico helping KSA with banana cultivation.

Mexico to Help in Saudi Arabia's Banana Cultivation

Also that this sorry for my language, useless report, does not even mention watermelons that are found in abundance in Najd is also astonishing. I think that anyone that have visited KSA or any Saudi Arabian can confirm this. Especially Buraidah is famous for this. Or tea, coffee, pineapples, grapes, mangoes and guavas etc.

@Irfan Baloch

Actually the millennium old ties between the Arabian Peninsula and India (Indian Subcontinent as a whole) are pretty well established.......Yemenis look very positively on Indians, Hijazis and Omanis as well. Because we only had good ties with those people.

All that just because we have better relations with Pakistan?

All Muslim countries have ties to India. Why single KSA out?:o:o_O

The historic existence of the Indian Subcontinent & the State of India are as synonymous as the comparative between North America & the Americas or South Africa & the Africas which really means - None at all !

At any rate most of the Interactions where with Nations that existed in the present day State of Pakistan; the Indus Valley Civilization being one & Muhammad Bin Qasim's incursion into Sindh being another - Though that is hardly relevant !

Perhaps the same reason why you conveniently ignore the Muslim Presence in Israel which is almost 1/3rd of their Population & the subsequent Economic Ostracization that you've initiated against them ?

But naturally it would be hard to imagine for Arabs to think out of their default characteristics of Tribalism i.e any other matter that isn't an Arab Matter doesn't merit the same kind of response than otherwise & Making Money - Heck even the Kabah wasn't spared the Mercantile Streak so who am I kidding ?

At any rate I don't give a frig about growing Indo-Saudi relations - I welcome it because it presents an opportunity for the People of Pakistan to realize that their Emotionalism isn't & never was reciprocated by their Muslim Brethren including the Hallowed Arab Heartland which means a more pragmatic policy in the future & a lot less giving a foOk about Arab Issues whether its Iran , whether its Iraq, whether its Syria or whether its Palestine !

For the reason I mentioned. Lack of data. Mostly information comes from a provincial level. Obviously that report is bogus since everyone familiar with agriculture in KSA would tell you that KSA obviously produces more than just those 7 fruits!

If there is not even 1 single mention of olive trees that are native to the northern regions of KSA and where one KSA province (Al-Jouf) has 14 million olive trees (look at the report I posted) then obviously they are not up to date or something is wrong with their information.

I could now keep posting photos of all those tropical fruits produced in KSA naturally but that would be pointless.

Here is some news about Mexico helping KSA with banana cultivation.

Mexico to Help in Saudi Arabia's Banana Cultivation

Also that this sorry for my language, useless report, thus not even mention water melons that are found in abundance in Najd is also astonishing. I think that anyone that have visited KSA or any Saudi Arabian can confirm this. Especially Buraidah is famous for this.

@Irfan Baloch
Sorry missed olive...and yes I read up a little about the banana...

My concern is about the exotic fruits....

You being in Europe should know everything related to research comes from journals, articles and FAO is almost always quoted...

On the other hand, imports of fruits by Saudi Arabia is easily found by a quick google search...why doesnt anyone document at least the locally produced fruits?

That is something.... pineapples, paw-paws, bananas, mangoes and guavas sre tropical and semi tropical....and yes they can probably grow in Saudi Arabia no doubt :tup:

and then also in that picture was apples which at least to me is slightly impossible....

and I just read a report of the import of apples from Washington....

This is why I am saying not all are locally produced in Saudi Arabia...I have no doubt more than half are....

Sorry missed olive...and yes I read up a little about the banana...

My concern is about the exotic fruits....

You being in Europe should know everything related to research comes from journals, articles and FAO is almost always quoted...

On the other hand, imports of fruits by Saudi Arabia is easily found by a quick google search...why doesnt anyone document at least the locally produced fruits?

The Kingdom has, however, stepped up fruit and vegetable production, by improving both agricultural techniques and the roads that link farmers with urban consumers. Saudi Arabia is a major exporter of fruits and vegetables to its neighbors. Among its most productive crops are watermelon, grapes, citrus fruits, onions, squash and tomatoes. At Jizan in the country's well-watered southwest, the Al-Hikmah Research Station is producing tropical fruits including pineapples, paw-paws, bananas, mangoes and guavas.

Agricultural Achievements

The first coffee beans festival will kick off in Jazan at the mountainous Daer Bani Malik governorate on Friday.
Its fertile soil and cool weather provides a conducive climate to grow various strains of coffee plants.
Daer Bani Malik grows more than 54,000 plants in 439 farms.
The nearby mountainous regions east of Jazan have a total of 70,000 coffee plants in 592,000 farms. The region is one of the oldest coffee-producing regions in the world.
Jazan to hold coffee beans festival | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Saudi Arabia produces 42 percent of domestic poultry consumption and 85 percent of the vegetables consumption, Balghonaim said.
He said: “There is no shortage in vegetables, despite the political issues in Syria as we have almost achieved self-sufficiency in this field and for remaining 15 percent of the market demand, there are many alternatives to cover up the requirement.”
He said: “There is a new trend of farming in the greenhouses for the production of larger quantities of vegetables.”
Moreover, we encourage the private sector for investment in agriculture,” he added.
Pioneering Saudi farm techniques bear fruit | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

85% of all vegetable consumption in KSA comes from local production. And trust me, KSA are one of the people on this earth that eat the most food. So nearly self-sufficient in that area. Also when it comes to most fruits.

As I wrote you will not fine such information in English speaking medias unless it is Arab News or Saudi Gazette. When it comes to Arabic news it is entirely different and much more information is available. The most is on the webpages of the various provinces of KSA. That's how I get updated but they are only in Arabic.

Relax bro....

Tomatoes and coffee bean are not fruits ...

I already know about Saudi cereal crops.....However, currently I am only interested in fruits ;)

I am completely calm.:)

The Kingdom has, however, stepped up fruit and vegetable production, by improving both agricultural techniques and the roads that link farmers with urban consumers. Saudi Arabia is a major exporter of fruits and vegetables to its neighbors. Among its most productive crops are watermelon, grapes, citrus fruits, onions, squash and tomatoes. At Jizan in the country's well-watered southwest, the Al-Hikmah Research Station is producing tropical fruits including pineapples, paw-paws, bananas, mangoes and guavas.

That alone mentioned 5 new fruits. Pineapples, paw-paws, bananas, mangoes and guavas.

I mentioned watermelons before. Just google KSA and watermelons if you do not believe this or ask anyone who has been to KSA or any Saudi Arabian user. Buraidah itself is famous for its watermelon production and other fruits.

The main fruits such as apples, lemons, grapes, oranges have already been mentioned.

Here is another new fruit. Pomegranate.

Taif’s pomegranate produce hit stalls across Kingdom | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Here are chili peppers. Go make a search and see the Saudi Arabian companies that produce them and export them to the world.

Saudi Arabia Yellow Chili Pepper, Saudi Arabia Yellow Chili Pepper Products, Manufacturers and Suppliers on Alibaba.com

Grapes is another fruit not mentioned:

Vineyard planted in Saudi Arabia, variety table grape perlette

Netherlands: Royal van Namen imports Saudi-Arabian grapes

He says that Saudi-Arabian grapes are of a perfect quality and can at least be compared to those from Egypt. “Saudi-Arabia has the potential and the facilities to surpass Egypt,” says Michael Kouwenberg. Another advantage could be that the Saudi-Arabic production usually starts a little before that of Egypt, because Saudi-Arabia is located further south.

So obviously, without any disrespect, that list that you use is clearly not accurate as already proven and by this very post.:)

Anyway back to topic. Welcome to visit KSA and see it for yourself or consult the sources if you bother or ask people who have been to KSA or Saudi Arabians like me. If you want Arabic sources and sources from the webpages of the various provinces I can also help with that. They are much more plentiful than the English ones for the reasons I mentioned at the beginning.

The historic existence of the Indian Subcontinent & the State of India are as synonymous as the comparative between North America & the Americas or South Africa & the Africas which really means - None at all !

At any rate most of the Interactions where with Nations that existed in the present day State of Pakistan; the Indus Valley Civilization being one & Muhammad Bin Qasim's incursion into Sindh being another - Though that is hardly relevant !

Perhaps the same reason why you conveniently ignore the Muslim Presence in Israel which is almost 1/3rd of their Population & the subsequent Economic Ostracization that you've initiated against them ?

But naturally it would be hard to imagine for Arabs to think out of their default characteristics of Tribalism i.e any other matter that isn't an Arab Matter doesn't merit the same kind of response than otherwise & Making Money - Heck even the Kabah wasn't spared the Mercantile Streak so who am I kidding ?

At any rate I don't give a frig about growing Indo-Saudi relations - I welcome it because it presents an opportunity for the People of Pakistan to realize that their Emotionalism isn't & never was reciprocated by their Muslim Brethren including the Hallowed Arab Heartland which means a more pragmatic policy in the future & a lot less giving a foOk about Arab Issues whether its Iran , whether its Iraq, whether its Syria or whether its Palestine !

No, the ties with what is now India and the Arabian Peninsula are well established and every old (5000 years). I already gave you an reference to an book written in 1991 about this.
Islam reached the Western and Southern borders of India before it reached Pakistan. Among the first mosques in the world were actually built in those areas of India. Not a coincidence when looking at the history and ties before that. There have been an 5000 year old trade going on and ties with what is now India and overall Indian Subcontinent and the Arabian Peninsula.

I already mentioned Pakistan and the Indus Valley civilization by acknowledging the very fact that the ancient Dilmun civilization that is nearly 5000 years old and was located in what is now the Eastern Province of KSA and Bahrain (mainly) had trading relations and ties with the Indus Valley civilization just across the Arabian Sea. I actually wrote this not long ago. But that does not mean that there were no ties with India. Because they were there.

Anyway the Indian Ocean trade that lasted for centuries in recent times had a lot of dealings with India, China, South East Asia, Africa etc.

I am not particularly anti-Israeli if you have noticed and I often point out that Israel has a sizable Muslim population when it is fitting.

Well, if you do not care about KSA/Arab - Indian relations then I do not understand your outburst? Whatever Pakistan does is their decision. If they want to cut ties to the Arab world they are free to do so. We have no say in that.

I am not commenting on Pakistani foreign affairs since this is not my business. If Pakistan became best friends with Israel tomorrow you would not hear a bad word from me.

You and others seem not to have a problem with Turkey and other Muslim nations having close ties with Israel in terms of business.

Anyway you speak like KSA have suddenly stopped ties to Pakistan while we are among your biggest financial backers and allies. That's a little bit rude and I did not expect that.

Having business ties with India does not mean that we have cut all ties to Pakistan does it? You don't think that Iran, Turkey etc. and virtually every other Muslim country out there has NOT ties with India?

Last edited:
I am completely calm.:)

That alone mentioned 5 new fruits. Pineapples, paw-paws, bananas, mangoes and guavas.

I mentioned watermelons before. Just google KSA and watermelons if you do not believe this or ask anyone who has been to KSA or any Saudi Arabian user. Buraidah itself is famous for its watermelon production and other fruits.

The main fruits such as apples, lemons, grapes, oranges have already been mentioned.

Here is another new fruit. Pomegranate.

Taif’s pomegranate produce hit stalls across Kingdom | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Here are chili peppers. Go make a search and see the Saudi Arabian companies that produce them and export them to the world.

Saudi Arabia Yellow Chili Pepper, Saudi Arabia Yellow Chili Pepper Products, Manufacturers and Suppliers on Alibaba.com

Grapes is another fruit not mentioned:

Vineyard planted in Saudi Arabia, variety table grape perlette

So obviously, without any disrespect, that list that you use is clearly not accurate as already proven and by this very post.:)

Anyway back to topic. Welcome to visit KSA and see it for yourself or consult the sources if you bother or ask people who have been to KSA or Saudi Arabians like me. If you want Arabic sources and sources from the webpages of the various provinces I can also help with that. They are much more plentiful than the English ones for the reasons I mentioned at the beginning.

I also mentioned melons, grapes, citrus (which covers lemons and oranges) ...but not apple!

Pomegranate is newly introduced so lets see how it gets established...You can re read my posts I have already mentioned all these....the only thing new was Pomegranate and I accidentally missed olive....

what I quoted citrus, melons, figs, peaches, grapes dates, mangoes and mangosteens ...

Date-palms, grapes, citrus, figs and peaches

The picture is wrong based on what it showed + what it wrote...it even tried to get in strawberries which are not naturally nor locally grown in Saudi Arabia...and few other fruits...That is all I highlighted

@Talon I made my point and gave you plenty of sources. That list makes no sense and everyone familiar with the ground realities in KSA knows that. I mean the sources speak for themselves. I chose a wide range of sources and a lot of them. Not going to check every single fruit in this world. The point is that KSA is nearly self-reliant when it comes to vegetable production and that there are a lot of fruits that are naturally grown in KSA, especially and including tropical ones, or have been imported and are now growing in KSA.

So much that KSA exports fruits and vegetables to neighboring countries as my links also have shown.

Anyway not the topic and I end it here.

Meanwhile in real world

Indian-Saudi JV to build rice distribution hub in Dubai
By Simeon Kerr in Dubai

c200317a-e685-4f72-9047-c65b1ee7111e.img

The Dubai-based hub is expected to reach a capacity of 100,000 tonnes of basmati rice this year

A new Indian-Saudi joint venture is building a rice distribution hub in Dubai to link Indian production to consumers in the Middle East, as the company seeks to tap into Gulf concerns over the security of food supply.

Innovo Speciality Foods, a joint venture between Indian entrepreneur V Raman Kumar and Saudi Prince Mishaal bin Abdullah bin Turki Al Saud, is investing Dh100m ($27m) in a storage, processing and packaging finishing facility in Jebel Ali free zone that is expected to reach a capacity of 100,000 tonnes of basmati rice this year.

Innovo will also lend $100m to its production partner, Lakshmi Energy and Foods, to fund capital costs and expansion of its large milling facility near Chandigarh.

Mr Kumar, who sold his healthcare technology business to private equity in 2012, said securing supply for a region known for its heavy consumption of rice was both a commercial proposition as well as a strategic move to serve the Gulf states’ food security needs.

“Food between the Gulf and India is going to be a big deal over the next 10 years, so it is strategically important to be in that business,” he said, with investment in the Gulf rather than India attractive thanks to a lower cost of capital.

The UAE, along with other Arab Gulf states such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar, has been investing in overseas farm land and agricultural food producers as they seek to secure their populations against disruption in global commodities markets.

The Arab Gulf states import about 70 per cent of their food needs.

The UAE has only three months of stores of staple items. The Middle East consumes 4m tonnes of Indian and Pakistani basmati a year.

Iran is the largest consumer, with 2m tonnes a year, while Saudi Arabia has annual domestic demand of 1.4m tonnes and the UAE accounts for about 500,000 tonnes a year.

Mr Kumar said customer demand was strong as Innovo sought this year to sell 100,000 tonnes of rice into the Arab Gulf states and another 50,000 tonnes to Iran.

To comply with global sanctions on Iran, Indian rice imports to the Islamic republic are conducted on a swap basis for crude sold to India.

Mr Kumar said he hoped to export more rice to Iran from the Dubai facilities if sanctions were dropped as diplomacy over the Islamic republic’s nuclear programme made progress.

The company also hopes to raise turnover to $500m as it doubles sales to 300,000 tonnes over the next three years.

But Innovo faces competition from large Indian rice company KRBL and Abu Dhabi’s Al Dahra Agriculture, which last year took a 20 per cent stake in Kohinoor, another Indian rice miller.

Mr Kumar’s partner, Prince Mishaal, will aim to secure Saudi government interest in expanding the rice hub concept to the oil-rich kingdom, as well as Innovo’s future plans to expand into other staples, such as sugar and edible oils.

“Food security projects really should be public-private partnerships,” said Mr Kumar. “We hope to show that our model works and seek to partner with Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia.”

CC @al-Hasani .

Many people on this forum don't realize how lightening fast Indian-Saudi Relations are growing .

@Talon I made my point and gave you plenty of sources. That list makes no sense and everyone familiar with the ground realities in KSA knows that. I mean the sources speak for themselves. I chose a wide range of sources and a lot of them. Not going to check every single fruit in this world. The point is that KSA is nearly self-reliant when it comes to vegetable production and that there are a lot of fruits that are naturally grown in KSA, especially and including tropical ones, or have been imported and are now growing in KSA.

So much that KSA exports fruits and vegetables to neighboring countries as my links also have shown.

Anyway not the topic and I end it here.
You have not even read my post...I posted exactly what you posted only because they were either taken from some journal article or some from FAO, they put watermelon as melon, oranges and lemon under citrus and categorized some stuff doesnt mean you get confused...and re post the same fruits and make it sound like the list makes no sense!

No, the ties with what is now India and the Arabian Peninsula are well established and every old (5000 years). I already gave you an reference to an book written in 1991 about this................... Muslim country out there has NOT ties with India?

What you seem to be missing is that there was no such thing as 'India - a Unified Entity' before the British & to a certain extent the Mughals so more often than not having 5000 year old relations with 'India' doesn't really mean anything because India - was a geographic entity not a State; a Subcontinent of Nations, if you will !

However like I said before & implied the rest, the anthropological dissection of History or Geography is not something that is relevant here !

I had no outburst only a feeling of nauseousness when Arab Hypocrisy is highlighted even further; whether you - as an Individual - do or do not have animosity for Israel or not it is irrelevant - What your Country does is relevant !

None of the 'presence of Israeli Muslims' nor the 'historic ties with that region' pop up when it comes to having no-relations with Israel, no trade with them & a boycott of them on the International front !

And what rudeness are you talking about ? For all the alleged financial backing you got paid in full through military trainers of Pakistan training & being present in KSA !

Nothing was free !

Entering into Military Cooperation with the Enemy of your so-called Ally is neither 'just business' neither does it escape our notice that for the opportunity to make a buck your country that cries itself hoarse on the Palestinian Issue doesn't give a frig about Our Palestine - Kashmir, when there is money to be made !

Furthermore strengthening their Economy is detrimental to us but because the Arab can't think beyond his lust for money & because we aren't exactly Arabs so it doesn't matter at all what effect the Investments in our Enemy's Economy does or does not do to us !

And I have the same issue with 'other Muslims' countries as well !

@Talon

Well, those "groups" of fruits are by far the most popular ones. So that is not exactly going against my main point at all.

You also have more or less every fleshy fruit in KSA be it true berry, pepo, hesperidium, aggregate fruit, multiple fruit and accessory fruit.

I am not sure if nuts are "fruits" but there are plenty of those in KSA as well.

Add to that coffee and tea, peppers etc. and I think that we are good going.

Indeed that dragon fruit you spotted seems not to grow locally in KSA or even seem to have been introduced despite there being tropical areas in KSA.

Other than that I can't think of many fruits, outside of the very rare tropical fruits that are confined to some regions or countries, that are not growing in KSA either naturally (this includes ancient imports of fruits that are not originally from KSA) or due to recent imports.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom