What's new

Saudi Arabia, India sign military cooperation pact

Aha. A Shame.

"Defence ties" is a strong word. See the post of @Arabian Legend . He explains it well.
Well all the best to Pakistan.

Signing of a mutual military cooperation pact comes under "Defence ties". But as i said, i have absolutely no qualms at all with further development of Saudi Arabia's military and trade relations with Pakistan's number 1 enemy since its independence. In fact i would prefer that Saudi Arabia even join the Indian camp, such a miracle would shatter the delusions of millions of Pakistanis overnight, and the likes of Nawaz Sharrif would flee to the land of their sponsors (as always). This development is necessary for the benefit of Pakistan's national interest.

Any Pakistani opposing this development surely lacks the wisdom.

All the best to India-Saudi Friendship/Brotherhood!

Signing of a mutual military cooperation pact comes under "Defence ties". But as i said, i have absolutely no qualms at all with further development of Saudi Arabia's military and trade relations with Pakistan's number 1 enemy since its independence. In fact i would prefer that Saudi Arabia even join the Indian camp, such a miracle would shatter the delusions of millions of Pakistanis overnight, and the likes of Nawaz Sharrif would flee to the land of their sponsors (as always). This development is necessary for the benefit of Pakistan's national interest.

Any Pakistani opposing this development surely lacks the wisdom.

Whatever suits Pakistan the most should be supported by Pakistanis. If cutting all ties with KSA is one of those things then your country needs to do so and not only speak.

You are spot on with that. I actually welcome this development between Saudi and india because this will provide for a powerful source of propaganda against the pro-Saudi elements within our society as well as destroy the so called "brotherhood" image certain Arab countries enjoy amongst the Pakistani masses.

Only then will millions of Pakistanis realize that just as the Arabs deal with every nation, including our very own enemy, so should we too not allow imaginary non-existent brotherhoods prevent us from doing trade or defence cooperation with whom ever we so desire as long as it is in our best interest!!

The masses won't retaliate against the gov.t so long as they have been fed the correct propaganda information, and there is no better propaganda than the truth itself!!!

To be honest, I don't think that we should use these developments as propaganda for a number of reasons. Firstly, we don't know all of the details involved in this military cooperation, & it's far more likely that Saudi Arabia would have taken Pakistan in to consideration when dealing with 2 nations that are hostile to each other. Things like "training" or the "exchange of expertise" are too vague to make any real judgement anyway. Secondly, our ties with Saudi Arabia aren't fragile enough to be broken immediately seeing as both countries don't just have close ties due to the relationship between the 2 governments, but also due to societal interaction & friendship. Thirdly, Saudi Arabia is increasing economic & other ties with Pakistan too, but that's going to prove to be difficult when the country isn't extremely stable. Imagine how difficult it would be for foreign investors to invest in a country suffering from corruption, nepotism, & terrorism. They are bound to look for other markets, & we would do the same had we been faced with the same conditions. Fourthly, propaganda would result in the development of unjustified hatred for another ethnic group & for their governments too. That is obviously unacceptable. A better solution is to educate the people & change the mindset that results in them having unnatural views regarding diplomacy & friendship. All of this can be accomplished by reasoning, debates, education, greater interaction with foreign cultures, etc. There needs to be some sort of a balance because we can't ruin old friendships, but at the same time we need to strengthen our relations with countries that have already established friendly diplomatic ties with us. The problem isn't Muslim unity either, which as a concept is misunderstood by many Pakistanis. The problem lies in alienating other countries simply because they might have a dispute with a Muslim majority nation even if the dispute has nothing to do with Islam. Pakistanis also need to become more nationalistic, that will aid them in pursuing their own goals at both national & societal levels.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think that we should use these developments as propaganda for a number of reasons. Firstly, we don't know all of the details involved in this military cooperation, & it's far more likely that Saudi Arabia would have taken Pakistan in to consideration when dealing with 2 nations that are hostile to each other. Things like "training" or the "exchange of expertise" are too vague to make any real judgement anyway. Secondly, our ties with Saudi Arabia aren't fragile enough to be broken immediately seeing as both countries don't just have close ties due to the relationship between the 2 governments, but also due to societal interaction & friendship. Thirdly, Saudi Arabia is increasing economic & other ties with Pakistan too, but that's going to prove to be difficult when the country isn't extremely stable. Imagine how difficult it would be for foreign investors to invest in a country suffering from corruption, nepotism, & terrorism. They are bound to look for other markets, & we would do the same had we been faced with the same conditions. Fourthly, propaganda would result in the development of unjustified hatred for another ethnic group & for their governments too. That is obviously unacceptable. A better solution is to educate the people & change the mindset that results in them having unnatural views regarding diplomacy & friendship. All of this can be accomplished by reasoning, debates, education, greater interaction with foreign cultures, etc. There needs to be some sort of a balance because we can't ruin old friendships, but at the same time we need to strengthen our relations with countries that have already established friendly diplomatic ties with us. The problem isn't Muslim unity, the problem lies in alienating other countries simply because they might have a dispute with a Muslim majority nation even if the dispute has nothing to do with Islam. Pakistanis also need to become more nationalistic, that will aid them in pursuing their own goals.

Of course, one cannot break ties over night, neither should that be the goal.

But you do agree that this blind trust that millions of our compatriots have in our "brotherly Islamic" countries is very dangerous for the National well being of Pakistan, do you not??

So dangerous, that if tomorrow some Saudi religious cleric/sheikh/scholar declares a Jihad against a certain segment of our society due to its difference with Saudi interests/views, half the country would be in flames.

This false perception, that because the two holiest sites of Islam reside in a monarchy known as Saudi Arabia, thus defending the Saudi apparatus takes precedence over defending even ones own country and people. In such a situation brainwashed individuals would be willing to even sellout national secrets to the enemy and serve as agents of sabotage.

This cannot be allowed. Pakistan comes first before any country!!

Whether they took our concerns into consideration when dealing with our number one enemy or not, that is the least of my concern. How much they invest in Pakistan, that too is the least of my concerns, for we can get the same if not more investment from other countries. What concerns me is that some Pakistanis who have never set foot on Saudi (or any other Arab soil) give priority to that state over their own. That their is recipe for disaster!!!

To weaken this influence we need propaganda, and this development serves as the perfect fuel for the fire.

To be honest, I don't think that we should use these developments as propaganda for a number of reasons. Firstly, we don't know all of the details involved in this military cooperation, & it's far more likely that Saudi Arabia would have taken Pakistan in to consideration when dealing with 2 nations that are hostile to each other.

This is the most important point that most of the ranting fanboi's are ignoring; Pakistan, at least the decision-makers may not have a problem with Indo-Saudi defense cooperation. Chances of India going to War with Pakistan today are similar to it going to war with Iceland.Instead with the tragi-comedy that is going on in pakistan, if India invades pakistan, it would be doing pakistan a great favour.

LOL. Sorry to hear about that. The Indians I have known were also good people and I always enjoyed their food whenever they invited me to their houses. Here in Copenhagen I eat at an Indian restaurant owned by people from Kerala. A nice bunch.

Chand pe bhi Jao to Malbari ka Chai ka dukaan milega!

I am sorry but I have no idea what that means or what that language even is. It is Hindi?:)

It means that " you would find a malabari tea stall even on moon ". Southern half of India's west cost is called malacar and consist on Kerala and coastal Karnatka.

Yes, it is. It means "if you land on the Moon, even there you may find a Keralite's Tea Shop.:-)

Nice one. Are you from Kerala? That's the region the Arabian Peninsula have had 5000 year old ties with. Probably even longer when taking the human migrations into account that came from the Arabian Peninsula and from there to the remaining world.

I do like it a lot. The photos remind me of the regions of Southern KSA, Yemen and the people seem very friendly especially those I know in real life.

Islam also reached that part of South Asia before any other.

Islam in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Islam in Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice one. Are you from Kerala? That's the region the Arabian Peninsula have had 5000 year old ties with. Probably even longer when taking the human migrations into account that came from the Arabian Peninsula and from there to the remaining world.

I do like it a lot. The photos remind me of the regions of Southern KSA, Yemen and the people seem very friendly especially those I know in real life.

Islam also reached that part of South Asia before any other.

Islam in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Islam in Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I'm originally from Kerala, but my parents had migrated to Mumbai when they were young & so I was born in Mumbai.

Yes, I'm originally from Kerala, but my parents had migrated to Mumbai when they were young & so I was born in Mumbai.

Very nice. There seem to be a lot of Indians from Kerala. All friendly.

Tell me do you grow coffee beans as well? Because Yemen grows both that and tea. As do some parts of KSA.

Very nice. There seem to be a lot of Indians from Kerala. All friendly.

Tell me do you grow coffee beans as well? Because Yemen grows both that and tea. As do some parts of KSA.
Oh Yes we do. Kerala is one of the chief producers of Coffee in India.

RIYADH: GHAZANFAR ALI KHAN

Published — Friday 28 February 2014

Saudi and Indian companies promote new joint ventures | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Saudi and Indian companies promote new joint ventures
Crown Prince Salman, deputy premier and minister of defense, has met with a number of Indian businessmen including business tycoon M. A. Yusuffali in New Delhi.

The audience with the crown prince was followed by talks between Commerce and Industry Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah and his Indian counterpart Anand Sharma as well as several individual business meetings in New Delhi.

Yusuffali, chief of the Lulu Group, announced an ambitious plan to open 15 Lulu Hypermarkets in Saudi Arabia during the next two years following his meeting with Crown Prince Salman and other senior Saudi officials.
Besides the Lulu’s plans to open 42 new hypermarkets in the Middle East including 15 in Saudi Arabia, four other major agreements involving Saudi and Indian companies were signed on the sidelines of the visit.

The issue of taxation of capital gains, meanwhile, figured prominently at the India-Saudi Business Forum organized jointly by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) and the Council of Saudi Chambers in New Delhi.
Referring to the new business deals signed by the Saudi and Indian companies, a statement from the FICCI said chairmen of Al-Qahtani Group Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Qahtani and Indian firm SledgeHammer Oil Tools Pradeep Mohanty signed a joint venture agreement for setting up a plant for oil drilling products in Saudi Arabia.
On the other hand, Yusuf bin Ahmed Kanoo Company and India’s Seaworld Shipping and Logistics signed a joint venture to establish a joint logistic and shipping network.
The third agreement was signed by the KRBL Limited of India and Omar Ali Balsharaf Est to supply 165,000 tons of Basmati rice to the Kingdom, while Al Rabiah & Partners and India’s Novatech had signed deal for engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) business and supply of industrial equipments to the Saudi firm.
Several other Indian and Saudi companies evinced keen interest to set up joint-ventures in other sectors on the sidelines of the visit.
Referring to the capital gains tax, which is a major hurdle in promoting Saudi investments in Commerce and Industry Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah said: “The issue of taxation of capital gains continues to be a major impediment in promoting Saudi investment in India, and I call on the Indian authorities to explore relaxation of this issue.”
He added: “I would also like to emphasize on the importance of the activation of the Saudi Indian Joint Fund.”
Anand Sharma, Indian minister of commerce and industry, who held talks with Al-Rabiah, commented: “India and Saudi Arabia have also agreed to work toward deeper economic engagement including through more investments, joint ventures and technology transfers.”
Both the ministers stressed on the need to transform the buyer-seller relationship, into one of deeper energy partnership with investments in petrochemical complexes, modernization of refineries, and joint ventures.
Both the ministers stressed the need to ink a free trade agreement between the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries and India for boosting trade and commercial ties.
The GCC and India have identified sectors like petroleum and oil, gas and fertilizers and information technology among other to be given focus. Sharma highlighted the need to diversify India’s export to Saudi Arabia.
The Saudi side also raised the issue of anti-dumping duty imposed on various items of their industry is detrimental for the trade relation between the two countries.
The Indian side explained that the anti-dumping duties in India are imposed after due diligence and is a quasi judicial exercise.
Sharma said India had withdrawn anti-dumping duties from two items i.e. polypropylene and pentaerythritol.
Sharma also invited Saudi investors to actively participate in the construction projects for highways, ports, airports, metros, supply chains and warehousing and power plants in India. Saudi Arabia and India have forged closer ties in trade.
In fact, the trade has grown significantly to exceed $43 billion in 2012-13.
There is need to diversify trade relations to non-oil trade sectors. Sharma said Indian globally-reputed companies, with expertise in infrastructure development are keen to work in upcoming projects in Saudi Arabia.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom