What's new

Saudi Arabia ends loan and oil supply to Pakistan over its criticism of OIC on Kashmir

india, Japan, south korea, philippines, Saudi, UAE, Egypt, Israel and western powers on one end, and turkey , china, iran, russia, pakistan, malaysia and some others one one side.. there wont be long when muslims regional powers will fight to decimate another.. currently regional powers are stalemating in battlefield

You should look again at Malaysia.. Tunn Mahathir is long gone and not coming back. This new dispensation is as pro west as any Malaysian govt can be.

If its indeed between China led alliance and Western nations along with Asian Democracies, Russia will stand neutral. Its biggest gas market is west and its relationship with China is good but not so rosy due to issues in far east.

As far as this topic is concerned, this facility was a favor. Its not some right snatched away. You criticize them officially, they need this facility.

Only the Saudis are interested in breaking this relationship. When you ask Pakistan not to mention Kashmir at OIC you are truly an enemy of Pakistan.
IMHO, Kashmir isn't the principal issue! The bone of contention is Pak herself!!! For she is fast approaching the threshold to take off to fly into the horizons they can't even dream of....

They're playing their last cards like a drowning man trying to catch at a straw.....

As far as this topic is concerned, this facility was a favor. Its not some right snatched away. You criticize them officially, they need this facility.
They want free oil or on differed payment,they want money when in the verge of default,they want unconditional support on Kashmir ,they want more of their country men employed and sending back home from KSA and what do Saudi get in return , when they needed the support the most when they entered Yemen .

Who told you that I dislike KSA in personal capacity? That is merely an assumption on your part.

You are failing to mention the elephant in the room. No matter what spin you give to this discussion, it all started when Saudis failed to support Pakistan on Kashmir. This is simply unforgivable. No ifs and buts.

KSA provided relief because it had its interests. It wasn't free lunch no matter how helpful for Pakistan. Pakistan has helped Saudis and the US for decades in their fight against Communist Russia. Stop undermining and downplaying your own role. What you also fail to mention is that MBS is not like previous Saudi rulers. He is a lavish and inconsiderate thug. He has killed and chopped up critics in an embassy.

Saudi Arabia under MBS is hostile towards Pak causes. It has proved that it will put India, US and Israel above everything else. That is their choice and we respect that. Just don't tell us to not criticise KSA because remittances are at stake. We will criticise because if you undermine our cause you are not a friend. Whether that puts the relationship in danger is something the Saudis should have considered first.

Remember that friendship and relationships are a two way street. Don't expect flowers when you spit in my face and tell me that Kashmir doesn't matter.

Number one, the Indians are irrelevant. Number two, we should not hold KSA responsible because the Indians would otherwise rejoice? That is pathetic. We are a sovereign country. I can also reverse the same question to you. Have you ever thought what Indians would say about Saudi actions at OIC? You have to defend your stance.
Perhaps I misjudged your intention but you are far from offering constructive criticism.

Just one example: Why should we support such crooked corrupt monarchies?

You understand how that sound? Do you know how popular MBS is in his country? Have you conducted surveys in this regard?

Do you recall the fact that Pakistan refused to help KSA in Yemen? Many Pakistani including myself supported this decision. Although I do recall some members asserting that this was a mistake - a strategic miscalculation.

I am not advocating invasion of Yemen to appease KSA - I am just highlighting the fact that there can be DECISIONS which can have some impact on the trajectory of bilateral relations between two countries. Two way street indeed.

Another example: Saudi Arabia under MBS is hostile towards Pak causes.

This was news in 2018: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...di-arabia-agrees-to-6-billion-support-package

Very hostile. :rolleyes:

As I have pointed out earlier, some members have a narrow-minded take of different themes.

KSA is being indifferent to different conflicts by the way - not just Kashmir.

We need to somehow restablish dialogue with all of them and get them to return to PDF.
Arab representation in this forum is difficult to recover in the present.

Pakistan needs to tread cautiously. Saudi funding is not important, it can be easily substituted by the taller than mountain friend. But millions of Pak workers stay in KSA and friendly Gulf countries (by contrast very few in Iran or PRC). Their remittances keep Pak afloat. If KSA and its allies were to recommend an expulsion of Pak workers and replacement by BD and Indian workers, it could cause a serious disruption to Pak economy.

Regards

Where are the Saudis worshippers...ahumm ahumm . You know who I am talking about. He is very quiet these days. Feels like a slave now in saudi arabia. Looool

The development comes at a time when Pakistan faces a challenging situation as its IMF programme also remains technically suspended for the past five months

1583778543-0292.jpg

The budget estimates suggested that the government was hoping to receive minimum $1 billion worth of oil in fiscal year 2020-21, which started from July.

Pakistan has not received oil on deferred payments from Saudi Arabia since May as a deal signed between the two close allies for provision of $3.2 billion worth of the fuel under the arrangement expired two months ago.

The $3.2-billion Saudi oil facility was part of the $6.2-billion Saudi Arabian package announced in November 2018 to ease Pakistan’s external sector woes, the Express Tribune reported.

The agreement expired in May and efforts are being made by the finance division to renew the facility, the petroleum division spokesperson Sajid Qazi was quoted as saying by the paper.

Pakistan is awaiting response from the Saudi government over its request to further extend the facility, he added.

The development comes at a time when Pakistan faces a challenging situation as its IMF programme also remains technically suspended for the past five months.

Returning of Saudi loans and expiry of the oil facility could strain the official reserves of the central bank, which are built purely by taking loans, the paper said.

The budget estimates suggested that the government was hoping to receive minimum $1 billion worth of oil in fiscal year 2020-21, which started from July.

Pakistan has already returned a $1-billion Saudi loan — four months ahead of its repayment period, the paper said.

Citing sources, it said Pakistan could also return the remaining $2 billion cash loan, subject to availability of a similar facility from China.

The agreement over $3-billion cash support and $3.2-billion oil facility per annum had the provision of renewal for two more years.

Saudi had rolled over its $3-billion loan from between November 2019 and January 2020. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has termed the rollovers of Saudi Arabian, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Chinese assistance critical for Pakistan’s debt sustainability.

Pakistan's repayment of the $1-billion Saudi Arabian loan after borrowing from China and expiry of the oil facility underscores challenging relations between the two Islamic nations, the report noted.

The Saudi oil facility that had been secured after hectic backdoor lobbying with the royal family remained underutilised in the last fiscal year.

The $769 -million deferred payment facility on supply of oil was availed from the Saudi government, according to the spokesman of the petroleum division.

The Saudi facility faced roadblocks since the beginning. Initially, both the countries had a plan to make the facility operational from January 2019. But it actually became operational from July last year.

The UAE had also announced a $6.2-billion package for Pakistan in December 2018, including a $3.2-billion oil facility. But later on, the UAE reduced its financial assistance to $2 billion and also shelved the plan to give a $3.2 billion oil facility on deferred payments.

The UAE and Saudi Arabian oil credit facilities were part of the $14.5-billion package agreed with three friendly countries, including China. After coming into power, Imran Khan-led Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf government faced an immediate challenge of filling a $12-billion hole, which the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz government had left behind due to a widening current account deficit, the report said.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...an-over-deferred-payments-120080900960_1.html
:lol: Challenge accepted.

Well, we have quite chosen the path that we wish to take, it should be two way street and national importance must take importance over everything
Yes every country protect its national interest now a days but taking a path is not quite sure ..I wish we should take our own path irrespective of anyone

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom