What's new

Saudi Arabia cuts oil prices for Europe, raise oil prices for Asia

Oil price rise raises specter of global recession

Oil rose to a 10-month high above $125 a barrel Friday, prompting responses from policymakers around the world including U.S. President Barack Obama, watching U.S. gasoline prices follow crude to push toward $4 a gallon in an election year.

Europe may have more to fear as its fragile economic growth falters and Greece, Italy and Spain look for alternative sources to the crude they currently import from Iran, where an EU oil embargo, intended to make Iran abandon what the West fears are efforts to develop nuclear weapons, comes into force in June.

In euro terms, Brent crude rose to an all-time high of 93.60 euros this week, topping its 2008 record.

In dollar terms, oil prices are still some $20 a barrel short of their 2008 record of $147. But the latest Reuters monthly survey will Monday show oil analysts revising up their predictions for Brent crude by $3 since the previous month.

Such a change is big in a poll of over 30 analysts, and last happened at the peak of the Libyan war in May.

Ian Taylor, head of the world's biggest oil trading house Vitol, told Reuters this week prices could spike as high as $150 a barrel if Iran's arch-enemy Israel launched a strike at its nuclear facilities - an option Israel has declined to rule out.

"I used to think this would never happen," Taylor said, "but everyone you speak to says the Israelis will have a go at striking at Iranian nuclear sites.

"The day that happens, you have to believe the Iranians throw a few mines in the Strait of Hormuz and, for a few hours at least or maybe more, I cannot see a scenario where prices would not be at that sort of level ($150)."

The U.N. nuclear watchdog said Friday Iran had sharply stepped up its uranium enrichment, which Iran insists is solely for civilian purposes.

Israel has warned that, by putting much of its nuclear program underground, Iran is approaching a "zone of immunity," but it has also said any decision to attack is "very far off."

Wall Street bank Merrill Lynch said this week that oil prices could climb to $200 over the next five years.

So far this year, dollar prices for Brent crude have risen by more than 15 percent, pushed up mainly by fears about Iran. The loss of supply from three small and mid-sized producers suffering internal turmoil - Syria, Yemen and South Sudan - has added to the supply worries.

WEAK GROWTH, HIGH PRICES

A stabilization of the U.S. economy may explain some of the rise in oil prices, but the global economy is growing far more slowly now than at this time last year, yet crude prices are just as high.

World equities and oil have typically been closely correlated since 2008 because both were driven by global demand.

However, as oil prices start to respond to supply problems, the correlation is evaporating, and the global economy is already paying a high price.

Data published this week showed unexpectedly weak activity in Europe's most powerful economy, Germany, and in France, sparking fresh worries that the region could tip into recession.

Few have forgotten that in 2008, within six months of hitting its all-time high, oil plunged as low as $35 a barrel with the onset of the global credit crisis.

In the United States, demand for refined oil products is close to its lowest level in nearly 15 years, indicating that motorists are cutting back their mileage. <EIA/S>

"The price spike is going to be a challenge for politicians in the West running for re-election," said Olivier Jakob from the Petromatrix consultancy.

He said developed countries would find it hard to justify a release of strategic oil stocks similar to what they did in 2011.

Unlike a year ago, when Libyan oil exports were disrupted by a war, this year "there is ... instead a voluntary restriction on buying from a specific country," said Jakob.

Other than a release of oil stocks, developed countries could resort to yet another round of monetary easing, to which emerging markets will respond with quantitative tightening, price controls and subsidies, said analysts from HSBC.

"In terms of fiscal health, it would seem that Asia is better placed than other regions to deal with an oil price shock," HSBC said in a note last week.

Analysis: Oil price rise raises specter of global recession | Reuters

yes, typical western BS, anything you dont agree with is a conspiracy theory.

Oil prices are dictated by market prices, FACT. He is claiming oil prices are dictated by governments, WRONG. It's just another conspiracy theory.

Oil prices are dictated by market prices, FACT. He is claiming oil prices are dictated by governments, WRONG. It's just another conspiracy theory.

I know it must be a bit hard for you to understand what a free market is, considering you are from China.

In a free market, every one is allowed to market their products with healthy competition. Not allowing Iran to be a part of market is not free market.

I dont know if anyone has changed the definition of free market recently.

oh we asians dont know business huh?

No. I didn't say anything about "asians" and i didn't say you didn't know business. Instead of twisting words around and creating things that i never said, how about actually reading my post.

My post was directed at the people within this thread who claim oil prices are controlled by governments instead of the markets. Prices are controlled by the markets. It's business 101.

Despite being corrected, people are still posting pretending that oil prices are controlled by governments. It's simply moronic.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

In a free market, every one is allowed to market their products with healthy competition. Not allowing Iran to be a part of market is not free market.

I dont know if anyone has changed the definition of free market recently.

Iran is part of the market, they aren't excluded. However, countries are just choosing not to buy from them.

Just imagine the market as a real market that sells food. You walk into the market and theres 5 people all selling bread. You are free to choose who you buy bread off in that market.

No. I didn't say anything about "asians" and i didn't say you didn't know business. Instead of twisting words around and creating things that i never said, how about actually reading my post.

My post was directed at the people within this thread who claim oil prices are controlled by governments instead of the markets. Prices are controlled by the markets. It's business 101.

Despite being corrected, people are still posting pretending that oil prices are controlled by governments. It's simply moronic.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Iran is part of the market, they aren't excluded. However, countries are just choosing not to buy from them.

Just imagine the market as a real market that sells food. You walk into the market and theres 5 people all selling bread. You are free to choose who you buy bread off in that market.

Hahaha...yes countries are choosing not to buy from Iran because they are afraid of american sanctions. Sanction put on by a govt. Who are you trying to fool here? Americans forces countries to toe their line, just like it forced Australia to vote in favour of india at NSG meeting.

I know it must be a bit hard for you to understand what a free market is, considering you are from China.

When OPEC cut oil production and oil prices skyrocketed in 1973, this was a results of market forces, not political considerations right?

The reality is that Saudi Arabia simply doesn't practice free market principles, especially when their economic lifeline, petroleum, is such a politicized commodity. I know you feel smart because you learnt about basic market mechanisms (lol, supply and demand, are you the second coming of Keynes?) and see a vague potential to apply it to reality, but it just doesn't explain the Saudi policy.

When OPEC cut oil production and oil prices skyrocketed in 1973, this was a results of market forces, not political considerations right?

I don't know? I'm not knowledgeable on that particular event, so i won't comment. People should do the same if they don't know about something.

Hahaha...yes countries are choosing not to buy from Iran because they are afraid of american sanctions. Sanction put on by a govt. Who are you trying to fool here? Americans forces countries to toe their line, just like it forced Australia to vote in favour of india at NSG meeting.

How about sticking to the topic instead of trying to derail the thread with another discussion? Thanks.

I don't know? I'm not knowledgeable on that particular event, so i won't comment. People should do the same if they don't know about something.

How about sticking to the topic instead of trying to derail the thread with another discussion? Thanks.

Ok it was just an example...hey topic is still on...carry on with your delusion that no country voluntarily wants to buy Iranian crude. US promises additional crude from KSA, and KSA increases prices. ( hail the free market ). If the free market makes my people suffer, we should look at any market outside the free market.

Good advice. Maybe you should abide by it as well: if you're not knowledgeable about Saudi economic history, perhaps you shouldn't be so eager to assume they would leave their prime commodity to the caprice of the free market.

This oil price increase is business 101. It's got nothing to do with Iran or anything political. I can't believe all the ignorant posts in this thread saying things like "OH IT'S BECAUSE OF IRAN" "OH DAMN THOSE SAUDIS" If you don't actually know information about the subject, don't make assumptions.

Let me explain it for you all.

The cost of oil is dictated by supply and demand.

Oil demand is high in Asia, so they raise the price to make more profit because they know people will keep buying.
Oil demand in Europe is lower because of their financial situation, so to increase the amount of oil being purchased by Europe they lower the price which encourages more purchases.

Like i said, this is business 101. It's basic business practices. Every oil producing country and company does it in the world, theres nothing wrong with it.
Seems you know much info, So you make comment here?
In asia, the demand is different by countries, Why don't make more categories? What you said about the demand and the supply is bullsh!t, you chop logic, If you are fool about it, don't make comment too!

If Saudi raise the price of the oil to West, You hypocritical country will make the severe attack on them as much as you can! Only after gaining the advantage, you western will praise supplier. Seems you forget the criticisms on the Muslim that you put before!!

Oil demand is high in Asia, so they raise the price to make more profit because they know people will keep buying.
Oil demand in Europe is lower because of their financial situation,

Please show some data regarding oil demand in asia and europe+america.I mean something like the number of barrels imported per day by asia and west.

This oil price increase is business 101. It's got nothing to do with Iran or anything political. I can't believe all the ignorant posts in this thread saying things like "OH IT'S BECAUSE OF IRAN" "OH DAMN THOSE SAUDIS" If you don't actually know information about the subject, don't make assumptions.

Let me explain it for you all.

Oil demand in Europe is lower because of their financial situation, so to increase the amount of oil being purchased by Europe they lower the price which encourages more purchases.

Like i said, this is business 101. It's basic business practices. Every oil producing country and company does it in the world, theres nothing wrong with it.

Everywhere you say supply and demand ? But why the fcuk is the demand from EU different from the demand of Asia ? Shouldn't demand be the entire demand from all the countries ?

Suppose a local grocery shop in Palo Alto, US says that since the employees of FB purchase more fruits, we will sell them at a discount and other ppl should be charged a premium. How the hell is it ECONOMICS 101 ?

That is called As$ KISSING 101.

That's arrogance at it's best. They are using oil for political leverages and they will pay for it some day.

So.... You are saying other countries with energy advantage don't do that.... Get real... This is politics you lose some and you win some... Don't cry when you lose...

Whatever be the pricing, there will be no impact on the Indian import basket of crude. India will continue to buy oil from Iran. It is not just the oil thing but the international community will understand the Indian viewpoint of keeping Iran engaged for access to Afghanistan and the CARs. The importance of Indian access to Afghanistan is verified by the Afghans + Iranians + Indians and this is a wagon that International community would want to be on board.

If one wants to look at the repurcussions then ask the right question: What about China??

Back
Top Bottom