What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

The engine development still lag behind, it restrain designer to fully tap their talent.
Until now, WS15's condition is unknown. We need genius like Ma Wei Ming in aero-engine industry.

SAC is a bunch of idiot without any long term plan.

A stealthy fighter with smoky engine can't fool any customers.

I don't hope the goverment give the carrier-borne fighter contract to SAC just because they need to be taken care of.

Engine manufacturers are separate from aircraft manufacturers, just so you know.

Engine manufacturers are separate from aircraft manufacturers, just so you know.
First you shall have an capable engine, then you talk about the development of a new fighter jet. Out engine always comes later.

First you shall have an capable engine, then you talk about the development of a new fighter jet. Out engine always comes later.

Then the issue lies with the engine supplier, not with the aircraft designer. The capabilities and configuration required of the aircraft are decided by its customer, not the designer.

Then the issue lies with the engine supplier, not with the aircraft designer. The capabilities and configuration required of the aircraft are decided by its customer, not the designer.
Why SAC can't make a dual engine design with WS10 series at the first place?

For export.

Our military export policy is holding back too much. While others promoting fighters like Gripen and Rafale, we are doing it with J10A?!

Still the production rate of WS10 hinders it.

Why SAC can't make a dual engine design with WS10 series at the first place?

For export.

Our military export policy is holding back too much. While others promoting fighters like Gripen and Rafale, we are doing it with J10A?!

Still the production rate of WS10 hinders it.

Because size, weight, and capability requirements dictate otherwise?

The engine development still lag behind, it restrain designer to fully tap their talent.
Until now, WS15's condition is unknown. We need genius like Ma Wei Ming in aero-engine industry.

I don't hope the goverment give the carrier-borne fighter contract to SAC just because they need to be taken care of.
This article talks about pre 2014 where WS-13 is not used yet. The new FC-31 V2 used a new smokeless engine which is totally different from RD-93. But from what I know, even the WS-13 with thrust of more than 9000kg is still not enough for PAF and PLAAF requirement. They are aiming for a WS-13E which has thrust of more than 10000kg or 11000kg.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popsci.com/amp/j-31-stealth-fighter-improved-prototype

Not exactly. Aeroengine industry is one of the most difficult in any military complex. It is arguably much harder than even Ma Weiming’s electromagnetic field. The fact that China managed to go from having a WS-9/WS-6 engine to the WS-10 is nothing short of a miracle ... which we have to thank Shenyang for. And this is even more surprising when the WS-10 core is based on a early 70’s civilian engine core. For those lamenting about the WS-10’s failures, I will remind them that the WS-10 is being used on the J-11B, J-16, J-15T, J-20, and the Y-20 (in the very near future). Last year, we even saw a J-10 equipped with a special TVC WS-10 variant, which is quite an accomplishment because TVC reduces thrust by up to 15% and demands high reliability. Just because there is little news on the WS-15 shouldn’t mean much; it is still in development and hence very secretive, just like the WS-10 in the early 2000’s. It’s development cycle is completely normal for an aeroengine and I wouldn’t be surprised that it takes a little longer given that the engine is supposed to compete with the Type 30, F-135 and F-119. Flight testing should start relatively soon assuming that they’ve wrapped up ground testing. As for the FC-31 with smoky engines, that is attributed to the Russian RD-93, not a Chinese engine. In fact, the FC-31V2 does not have any smoky engines at all due to its Chinese WS-13.

This article talks about pre 2014 where WS-13 is not used yet. The new FC-31 V2 used a new smokeless engine which is totally different from RD-93. But from what I know, even the WS-13 with thrust of more than 9000kg is still not enough for PAF and PLAAF requirement. They are aiming for a WS-13E which has thrust of more than 10000kg or 11000kg.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popsci.com/amp/j-31-stealth-fighter-improved-prototype
The WS-13 I believe has already had its first flight back in July 2016 ... even so, I don’t think they need to swap out JF-17 engines due to a steady stream of Russian RD-33s, which perform decently.

Maybe just to not pick or play devil's advocate... the JF-17 and FC-31 use RD-93, not -33. And if you look at some images showing V2 during take off, it is still very much a dirty engine. In my opinion the WS -13 will never be a decent modern powerplant ...

Maybe just to not pick or play devil's advocate... the JF-17 and FC-31 use RD-93, not -33. And if you look at some images showing V2 during take off, it is still very much a dirty engine. In my opinion the WS -13 will never be a decent modern powerplant ...

There is only so much that the design can do. While I agree with you Deino, it brings in the depressing thought that the FC-31 is meaningless without a better engine. Which may be why PAF has chosen to start the Azm project rather than buy the FC-31.

Not sure how truth is it but v1 produce plenty of dirty smoke thru out the whole flight while v2 produces little smoke during take off but thru out the flight flying, Virtually no smoke produce. Many view has agree it is a new engine installed for V2. Smoke produced during initial take off is ok but not during flight especially dog fight.

There is only so much that the design can do. While I agree with you Deino, it brings in the depressing thought that the FC-31 is meaningless without a better engine. Which may be why PAF has chosen to start the Azm project rather than buy the FC-31.
AZM might not base on FC31, who knows?

AZM might not base on FC31, who knows?
I think the problem with export FC-31 is not so much on engine or design but rather many promise technology from J-20, will it be able to export as promise by Shenyang? W/o these system clear for export or a water down but still capable export available. It is very hard to convince customers to endorse it.

I think the problem with export FC-31 is not so much on engine or design but rather many promise technology from J-20, will it be able to export as promise by Shenyang? W/o these system clear for export or a water down but still capable export available. It is very hard to convince customers to endorse it.
With a capable engine, FC31 is a good design without any doubt.

Seems as if V1 + V2 were flying together today!?

FC-31V1 + V2 together - 20180314 - 2.jpg
FC-31V1 + V2 together - 20180314 - 1.png

Back
Top Bottom