What's new

S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems delivery to India can begin in 2020

Part of documents behind closed doors,
It's the nuclear sub , what else ?:p:
Much more than what is offered or suggested in sites.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/russ...y-deal-for-s-400-missiles-on-saturday-1473829

Russia, India To Sign $5 Billion S-400 Missile Deal At BRICS Meet In Goa
All India | Reported by Vishnu Som | Updated: October 13, 2016 19:32 IST

s-400-missiles-reuters_650x400_51476365973.jpg

Russian S-400 Triumph medium-range and long-range surface-to-air missile systems. (Reuters Photo)

Highlights
  1. India to buy 5 missiles priced at one billion dollars each
  2. Most advanced surface-to-air missile system
  3. Can intercept incoming aircraft and missiles at range of 400 kms

Russia and India will sign a 5 billion dollar agreement on Saturday for Moscow to deliver S-400 surface-to-air missiles to New Delhi.

Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov said the agreement would be signed at the BRICS summit in Goa, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet separately with President Vladmir Putin too.

The S-400 anti-aircraft missiles were cleared for purchase in December by the Defence Ministry.

The five missiles India is acquiring will likely provide defence for a large area around high-value installations including nuclear power plants and key government centers. They are also expected to provide India with a missile-shield for protection against Pakistani or Chinese nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.

Considered the most advanced surface-to-air missile system in the world, the Russian S-400 system's missiles can intercept incoming aircraft and missiles at a range of 400 kilometers. The sensitive radars of the system are thought to be able to detect even stealth aircraft which present a very small radar cross-section and are often impossible for other systems to track.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for a few of our fellow members who were claiming an emerging Pakistan - Russia alliance. Strange. I expect Pakistan to buy equipment from Russia. France has done the same. Given Pakistan equipment and given India also the same. It is pure business. The deeper pockets will prevail.

End of topic. Economy is the new super weapon.
Economy along with mutual strategic benefits. Strategic benefits are never revealed in public, so everybody is engaged in discussing economic benefits.:lol:

the others being ?

Do you still want an answer, or are you just tagging me to say hello:wave:? I'll give my take regardless:P.

It's time to stop dumping on the Chinese. While not quite up to par with S-400, their alternative HQ-9 is rapidly becoming one heck of a potent threat:

fd2000.jpg

Take everything good about S-400 and S-300 and add Chinese ingenuity, money and experience into it and you've got yourself a platform that straddles the line between S-300+ and S-400, and in some respects even outclasses the S-XXX series.

Of course astute observes will note China is also procuring the S-400 system. Why? To milk its secret dry and make sure their domestic system incorporates everything good about S-400 while correcting any issues it has.

Aster 30 is similar, but lacks the range of its Russian or Chinese counterparts:

Aster_30_system.jpg

Oh, but that doesn't mean it's not a capable system. While its longest ranged variants are restricted to around 20km vertical distance and 120km horizontal distance, they are capable of intercepting all classes of target (sans ICBM) including high performance aircraft and missiles, ballistic missiles with ranges greater then 1500km and its sensors are capable enough that low visibility platforms are lit up like a Christmas Tree.

16734.jpg

That puts Aster in good company, on land or at sea, and puts it right in the conversation with Barak 8:

barak-8.jpg

Even in its extended ranged version, Barak 8 does lack the vertical range and horizontal range of Aster, and it's slower, but very, very maneuverable.

The gold standard for all-aspect air defense is the Standard Missile 6:

USS_John_Paul_Jones_%28DDG-53%29_launches_RIM-174_June_2014.JPG

With a horizontal range nearing 500km, a vertical range of 35km, and a powerful and combat proven sensor suite supporting it, it's the Standard for a reason. Able to drop aircraft, including low visibility platforms, ballistic missiles outside of the ICBM class, high performance anti-ship and cruise missiles:

1280px-GQM-163_Coyote_test_launch_May_2004.jpg

And even ships - yup, just like SM-2, SM-6's activing homing allows it to be used as an anti-ship weapon - you're hard-pressed to find a more capable all-aspect system on the market today.

It can be land-launched too:

0914OCJ75493.jpg

SM-3, Arrow 3, THAAD, they're all more capable anti-ballistic missile platforms then any of the above, but only at longer-ranges, hence why they are supported by short-ranged systems like PATRIOT-3 or SM-2. They have limited capability against aircraft and should not be seen all-aspect systems. They are purpose built anti-missile/ASAT weapons.

Just my thoughts and I'm by no means an expert on SAM systems, so take it for what you will:partay:.

Wouldn't it have been so wonderful if wars would have been won just by expensive toys ?
Unfortunately that's not how it goes in the real world.

India cannot seriously consider a ( full scale ) war with Pakistan because of many reasons no matter how much warmongering be done.

With the help of CPEC,Pakistan has successfully integrated its national security with China's vital interests and ambitions.India can never hope to undertake such an adventure without recieving retaliation from China.

Tactical Nukes : S400 is not the answer to Pak's battlefield nukes against a large scale Indian offensive.Indian policy makers will remain frustrated for years to come at this strategic threat.

Conventional War :
India does not have the ratio required to overpower the defending Pakistan Army's numbers.Hence Indian aggression will have bloody costs.

Indian Economy :
India's focus on building an economic muscle does not allow it to dent its dreams by engaing in a bloody escalation with Pakistan risking China's retaliation too.It takes decades to make economic gains and only weeks of war to loose them all.Indians are not as silly as you think.

Hence,don't take any war mongering seriously.
I know man, the loses India will suffer will put her at least a century back. And a weaken India will be up for grabs for all other neighbors, India has been bullying for such a long time.

I was just curious purely from technical point of view. Having such a defensive system will make all those mid-range missiles ineffective. But then there are two things:

1) Number of such missiles can be increased (quantity)
2) Short range missiles.

Ok, with my limited knowledge, I think I'll just stop at this and will read what other experts have to say.

Wouldn't it have been so wonderful if wars would have been won just by expensive toys ?
Unfortunately that's not how it goes in the real world.

India cannot seriously consider a ( full scale ) war with Pakistan because of many reasons no matter how much warmongering be done.

With the help of CPEC,Pakistan has successfully integrated its national security with China's vital interests and ambitions.India can never hope to undertake such an adventure without recieving retaliation from China.

Tactical Nukes : S400 is not the answer to Pak's battlefield nukes against a large scale Indian offensive.Indian policy makers will remain frustrated for years to come at this strategic threat.

Conventional War :
India does not have the ratio required to overpower the defending Pakistan Army's numbers.Hence Indian aggression will have bloody costs.

Indian Economy :
India's focus on building an economic muscle does not allow it to dent its dreams by engaing in a bloody escalation with Pakistan risking China's retaliation too.It takes decades to make economic gains and only weeks of war to loose them all.Indians are not as silly as you think.

Hence,don't take any war mongering seriously.

I know man, the loses India will suffer will put her at least a century back. And a weaken India will be up for grabs for all other neighbors, India has been bullying for such a long time.

I was just curious purely from technical point of view. Having such a defensive system will make all those mid-range missiles ineffective. But then there are two things:

2) Short range missiles.

Ok, with my limited knowledge, I think I'll just stop at this and will read what other experts have to say.

I request you two homos to take your orgy someplace else and be done with mutual admiration. Thanks

Are you some kind of "Dalai Lama" or something that I cannot quote you? We are on an open Internet forum and of course I'll quote any post, if I think it is necessary to set record straight.

India on one hand keeps saying China is the major adversary and nothing to worry about Pakistan. But from top govt level to street hawker everyone and everything is Pakistan specific. Threatening Pakistan with war 5/6 times a year is just a norm from India.

Now just for arguments sake, even if it is 50-50 deployment against China and Pakistan, it is still hugely disproportional and keeping above mentioned war hysteria of Indian govt in mind, overwhelmingly Pakistan specific.

No no it aint hellfire ... looking at your posts, you are the one who is as tranquil and peaceful as Dalai Lama.

2) Short range missiles.

Hi, I will ignore other statement made by you and will concentrate on technical point only. One battery of Trimf system can take down approx 30-35 targets at maximum allowed distance of 400 km. And this system will be placed in a overlapping area to increase response time and more effective solution. Further it is only one piece of Indian air space defense. There are others as well including our under development anti missile as well as ballistic defense system. Short range missiles. OK how much short range. If it's Nuke tipped will your government/army afford to place them close to the border. Even if it is done then same can be countered with other jets or small range SAM systems. Even Trimf also has small missiles for anti air defense. Hope that clears. There are ways of countering every kind of missiles or weapons but how you do it, best can be explained by seniors only from the field.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom