What's new

Russian Military Intervention Reality Check

The modernity of the Su-34 is irrelevant when it is armed with less than half of its total payload with unguided munitions. The Russians have already displayed footage where their strikes do not have a good effect on target.

As for the Syrian Arab Army, they're not that effective in and of themselves. However, they will be boosted by Russian air strikes, particularly in terms of morale. However, the Russians will not be able to support their operations throughout Syria due to the size of their commitment. Although SAA forces may do well in and around Latakia where the Russians will strike the most

Russians will use precision guided munitions to make full use of the SU-34 capabilities.
I don't think the SU-34 has yet been involved in air strikes.

The strategy is likely to be to focus on one area at a time in combination with Syrian army operations and so the number of 34 Russian jets will be ample. Even if the Russians had a hundred jets pounding targets all over Syria, the Syrian army could not go on the offensive on multiple fronts in order to capitalise since it does not have the resources.

Russians will use precision guided munitions to make full use of the SU-34 capabilities.
I don't think the SU-34 has yet been involved in air strikes.

I'm not arguing that the Russians can not be accurate or do not use guided munitions. They certainly can when they want to.

However, the lion's share of sorties and strikes have been carried out by Su-24 and Su-25 using unguided bombs. The Su-34 has been used in anger in Syria.

The strategy is likely to be to focus on one area at a time in combination with Syrian army operations and so the number of 34 Russian jets will be ample. Even if the Russians had a hundred jets pounding targets all over Syria, the Syrian army could not go on the offensive on multiple fronts in order to capitalise since it does not have the resources.

I'm not saying anything else.

However their commitment won't allow them to support operations on multiple fronts, not just to support offensives. Their objective is most likely securing their own area of operations first and then supporting the SAA to recapture it's heartland followed by a offensive against IS. This is going to take a very long time and a far larger commitment.

The Russians have already said these operations may be temporary. If they are indeed being genuine the above may not even be plausible.

any credible reason you used that picture in the op??

Just shows the true victims of this war. Not trying to take sides.

Bro, you are a retard.

@Chinese-Dragon What is wrong with this guy?

That guy @Beidou2020 admitted he wasn't Chinese a while back, he claims to be a white American of German ancestry. :lol:

I have no idea why he has some sectarian grudge against Wahabis or whatever you call them (he has a Shia angle perhaps), but China has strong relations with most of the Muslim countries in the world bar Turkey. Our policy has nothing to do with sect.

I'm surprised why no one banned that chink yet.

Negative rated. :disagree:

Pull your mouth off of Putin's d!ck, the only thing he's killing with his soviet junk dumb bombs is innocent children, hell I'd say Asshead Air Force is more accurate lol

You should've known better that there's no such thing as "Wahhabi" it's a derogatory term to refer to Sunnis, and I'm surprised why no one banned that chink yet.

Russia is bombing your Wahabi terrorists straight to hell.

Nothing you say or do will save your Wahabi terrorists from mother Russia :lol:

Enjoy the Russian fireworks boy.

I'm surprised why no one banned that chink yet.

If you edit out your usage of the word "chink" I will reverse your negative rating.

Frankly Arabs should understand why racism is bad, being on the receiving end of it worldwide. Instead of propagating it further.

When talking to racists who happens to be or claim to be chin..k.. I mean Chinese then yes it's easy to be racists towrds them.

Are you really doing it again?

Last edited:
View attachment 261869

This thread is meant as a reality check for every single member on this forum who continually propagates the view that Russian military intervention in Syria will decimate the ranks of the Free Syrian Army, The Islamic State, and Al-Qaeda affiliated militias. I will attempt to make it as simple and as brief as possible.

Will Russian operations turn the tide for Assad's embattled Syrian Arab Army?

No, Russian military intervention will not produce any clear winners nor will it give the Syrian Arab Army a significant edge on the battlefield across Syria.

Why?

It is simple. The assets that the Russians have currently deployed are not significant in number. At any one time the Russians will only be able to deploy around four not very sophisticated (beside perhaps the Su-34) aircraft.

In addition to that the Russians appear to be using a mix of precision guided munitions and free fall munitions. From footage released it appears that unguided munitions are used in the lion's share of sorties so far.

A reliance on unguided munitions will mean more collateral damage (civilian deaths) which may be politically and eventually militarily counter-productive (although this is another debate entirely).

More importantly, the use of unguided munitions will result in strike sorties against targets being less effective (as we have already seen) and will complicate close air support sorties.

Another major point is that the Russian operations in Syria are at the end of a very long supply and
logistics chain.

So at times it may not be surprising to find the forces stationed there to be under resourced and equipped.

To put this into perspective the entire Russian commitment based out of Latakia is far less capable than one US aircraft carrier.

It is of note that the entire Western Coalition has thus far been largely ineffective in trying to root out or degrade The Islamic State and Al-Qaeda affiliated militias in Syria from the air.

So what will Russian military intervention mean for the Syrian Arab Army?

It is unlikely to be a force multiplier due to its size and capabilities but it will however boost the morale of the Syrian Arab Army. Which is very important considering they have taken a substantial battering in this war of attrition.

What the Russian deployment does act as though is a trigger force. Meaning it may potentially disrupt direct intervention by outside powers in favour of the revolt against Assad by simply having a presence there.

So what is Russia's military 'mission' in Syria?

First and foremost they must stop rebel advances towards a Mediterranean port. Specifically, they will target Jaysh Alfath which was instrumental in the capture of Idlib and which has Latakia in it's sights.

It is only logical that the majority of their strikes will be in and around Latakia. They must secure their area of operations before they do anything else.

So far Russian strikes in that area have allowed them to grab the initiative but whether they can maintain momentum is questionable.

Their strikes in that area will likely continue until Idllib is retaken (if that ever actually happens) and may even continue beyond that.

Something to keep an eye out for though is potential Russian plans to base long rang air defence systems. This may complicate things for coalition forces if the Russians plan to enforce an 'area denial' policy over the Eastern Mediterranean.

So what about Russian operations against The Islamic State?

Russian air strikes have so far focused on FSA and Al-Qaeda affiliated militias.

Many of which have connections to the United States and a tripartite of Gulf nations. This may be a reason why Russia has deployed air to air fighters alongside its contingent of bombers.

Strikes against the Islamic State so far appear to be symbolic.

Required in order to further propagate Russian propaganda at home/abroad and allow a certain amount of political manoeuvring.

In order to effectively tackle The Islamic State Assad needs to secure his immediate neighbourhood which is in the West of the country. The Islamic State is concentrated within the East. In between there's a lot of empty land and Syrian rebels.

In order to move against The Islamic State Assad needs to regain the Syrian heartland stopping the war there and replacing it with an area that requires policing rather than war fighting.

The above will not be easy and Russian military involvement will not help that much.

Will Russia be successful?

At this point in time it's difficult to answer this question but a look into Russia's past may give us a glimpse.

The Soviet Union was particularly successful in the Cold War across South East Asia and Central/South America. It was capable of frustrating the United States by wining proxy wars.

However, once they deployed Soviet boots in Afghanistan their success was rapidly shunted.

Will this be another repeat of Afghanistan or a successful proxy war? I don't know.

What I do know is that this intervention will further muddle an already confusing war and one which there will be no clear winner and only one victim, the Syrian people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short and sweet. Will add things I missed to this.

I generally don't agree with you but your points were well thought out and you presented them in an intelligent and professional manner. Thanks, would love to see counter views from my own presented like this.

However, keep in mind that Russia's action here is not necessarily to make Assad 100% victorious. The best important victory for Syria is that this action ws taken at all. With Russia behind it, it adds a certain legitimacy to it.

The timing is perfect. Imagine a paranoid, islamic-fearing guy in a European country. He hates the jihadist and is worried more because his country is accepting thousands of refugees in his country. Suddenly, Russian is bravely fighting against the. If his government opposes Russia, it will look like they are being tolerant towards islamists.

That's why you will notice the outcry here so far is not even 10th of Europe negatively attacking Russia like they did in Ukraine. This plays a lot to politically strengthing Assad and weakening the resolve for western countries to support the opposition. That's the real victory.

Last edited:
You should've known better that there's no such thing as "Wahhabi" it's a derogatory term to refer to Sunnis

really??

i am sunni, if i must be forced to use that word.

and I'm surprised why no one banned that chink yet.

i am surprised why no one banned atatwolf, blackeagle, thrax and friends.

If you edit out your usage of the word "chink" I will reverse your negative rating.

why?? he is clearly a terrorist supporter... would you want him supporting the hizb-ut-tahrir terrorists in china??

so using a racist word is not okay but insulting a brave man like bashar al-assad is okay??

Wahabi is not a slur. It's a sunni sect founded by Wahab.

technically yes, but more precisely and must be said, it is a perversion, a corruption.

How is that a slur? How else are we going to differentiate between his sect and a different Sunni sect that does not prescribe itself to wahabi teachings?

what our algerian friend was trying to do was say all sunnis must accept wahabism as the true islamic way.

really??

i am sunni, if i must be forced to use that word.

i am surprised why no one banned atatwolf, blackeagle, thrax and friends.

why?? he is clearly a terrorist supporter... would you want him supporting the hizb-ut-tahrir terrorists in china??

so using a racist word is not okay but insulting a brave man like bashar al-assad is okay??

Brave man like Assad? Who killed more thn 250000 innocent Syrians? You dont know shit about this conflict. You must be a Shia because only Shias support what Assad is doing in Syria.

Brave man like Assad? Who killed more thn 250000 innocent Syrians? You dont know shit about this conflict. You must be a Shia because only Shias support what Assad is doing in Syria.

sigh...

didn't i say above that i am sunni??

majority of the syrian army and citizenry are sunni and they support al-assad.

sigh...

didn't i say above that i am sunni??

majority of the syrian army and citizenry are sunni and they support al-assad.

Majority of soldiers are Alwais along with Assad n his murderous family..They are killing Sunnis to stay inpower...its clear you dont know shit about this war. its useless to discuss it with you.

Back
Top Bottom