What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RescueRanger one question for you as you seem to be a sensible poster. Ukraine was once a part of USSR so all the think tanks sitting in Ukraine must be knowing about the way USSR act or react from strategic point of view plus they have learnt from West as well. Did Putin miscalculated the strength of Ukraine ?The comedian turn President made a mockery of Putin by boosting morale of Ukrainian people. It is the Ukrainian people fighting now side by side their army.
Putin miscalculated in the sense that the Russian speaking belt would just welcome him with open arms and once Donbas was under Russian control, they would take the port, and the government in Kyiv would crumble, he miscalculated on the people of Ukraine offering the level of resistance the Russians have experience.

Either way, this entire event will have reverberating consequences for the entire region and for many years to come.

Putin miscalculated in the sense that the Russian speaking belt would just welcome him with open arms and once Donbas was under Russian control, they would take the port, and the government in Kyiv would crumble, he miscalculated on the people of Ukraine offering the level of resistance the Russians have experience.

Either way, this entire event will have reverberating consequences for the entire region and for many years to come.
Even the Russia belt in Ukraine is mostly 80% ethnic Ukrainians that had to put up with Russia back separatists for 8 years. Any good will that may have existed is long gone.

UK only has 70,000 troops and relies on the European Quick Reaction Force. The commitment of the Royal Welsh is part of the 800 or so already assigned to the NATO Enhanced Forward Presence is Estonia. 84 Sqd based at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus already provides SAR and heavy lift.
I like many in my circle are secretly thanking Putin for this war. If anything he will force the hand of UK, France and Germany to recruit their conventional forces for a meaningful standoff. Our numbers have been cut because of prolonged peace in Europe. At this time even if all other EU countries combine together they cannot match Russians in numbers.

Quality of our forces will only take us so far in a standoff/limited conflict. Russians due to their numbers can open multiple fronts at will without being challenged.

He's seriously underestimated Ukraine. There's a very strong chance that Putin will be finished after this.
I don't think so, it's only been three days. They are not using as much firepower as US did with Iraq. What US did with Iraq was extreme. The challenge for Putin will be political/economical. He cannot get world to negotiate for some kind of settlement now, nor recognize any gains they make. Nor will anyone come to Russia's aid besides declaring political support.

I like many in my circle are secretly thanking Putin for this war. If anything he will force the hand of UK, France and Germany to recruit their conventional forces for a meaningful standoff. Our numbers have been cut because of prolonged peace in Europe. At this time even if all other EU countries combine together they cannot match Russians in numbers.

Quality of our forces will only take us so far in a standoff/limited conflict. Russians due to their numbers can open multiple fronts at will without being challenged.
Agreed, it pained to to hear the Operation Pitting would be the last outing for the Royal Airforce C130's soon to be replaced for A400M's and Heftier C17's. The loss of Lynx and reduction in numbers under the "integrated workforce plan" as announced in the 2020 review is a damn shame.

I am particularly keen to hear from UK service personnel about their thoughts on the new Ranger Regt. That RAF Beret and Selous scouts beret badge :disagree:.

Any update on this Indian volunteer fighter?

7996c8e3ly1gzog9i649ej20i50w8tg7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom