What's new

Russia denies newspaper report 7 planes destroyed in Syria.

ptldM3

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1ET0VX

(Reuters) - Russia denied a report in daily newspaper Kommersant that seven Russian planes had been destroyed by rebel shelling at Syria's Hmeymim air base on Dec. 31, the TASS news agency on Thursday quoted the defence ministry as saying.

At least four Su-24 bombers, two Su-35S fighters and an An-72 transport plane, as well as an ammunition depot, were destroyed by the shelling, Kommersant said on its website, citing two "military-diplomatic" sources.

In the single biggest loss of military hardware for Russia since it launched air strikes in Syria in autumn 2015, more than 10 servicemen were wounded in the attack by "radical Islamists", the report said.

"The Kommersant report on alleged "actual destruction" of seven Russian war planes at Hmeymim air base is fake", TASS said, citing the ministry. It said the Russian air group in Syria was "combat-ready".

The ministry said two Russian service personnel were killed in a mortar attack on the base by rebels, according to TASS. Earlier, the ministry said a Mi-24 helicopter had crash-landed in Syria on Dec. 31 due to a technical fault and two pilots died.

Russia began establishing a permanent presence at Hmeymim and a naval base at Tartous last month, although President Vladimir Putin has ordered a "significant" withdrawal of his military from Syria, declaring their work largely done.

Why did Kommersant made a ludicrous propaganda?

Isn't it a Russian news agency?

@ptldM3

@ptldM3

More like poor reporting. Some aircraft were lightly damaged from small shrapnel, the heaviest damage was to a horizontal stabilizer which was quickly replaced.

A few aircraft were damaged and quickly repaired. No aircraft were destroyed.

@ptldM3
Russian MoD are pathological liars.

index.php

Russian journalist in Syria:

По базе в Хмеймим. Всё же пострадала техника. Предварительно 6 Су-24, 1 Су-35С, 1 Ан-72, 1 Ан-30 разведчик, 1 Ми-8. 2 Су-24 и Су-35С ввели в строй.

https://vk.com/roman_saponkov?w=wall216034_37473

index.php

По базе в Хмеймим. Всё же пострадала техника. Предварительно 6 Су-24, 1 Су-35С, 1 Ан-72, 1 Ан-30 разведчик, 1 Ми-8. 2 Су-24 и Су-35С ввели в строй.

Looks easy to fix, though. Definitely not destroyed.

index.php

Where is the proof? A lot more destruction would have been reported on social media .

That's only a glimpse. He will be arrested by FSB is posts everything.

Nonsense post.

That's only a glimpse. He will be arrested by FSB is posts everything.

Translated comment by a Russian.

Voroninmeister Voronin replied to Dmitry Dmitry, you are either a demagogue or a traitor. The shooting was for intentional help to the enemy, and for espionage, which expressed deliberately informing the enemy what kind of Russian military equipment and how many were damaged as a result of the attack, as well as in revealing the nature of the damage, which helps the enemy in combat planning.

It seems that at least a few aircraft were damaged and considering that those aircraft were unprotected and closely parked together, it seems plausible that a limited mortar strike could have indeed damaged several aircraft.

Mortars have a very limited range, so it means that the militants managed to sneak closely to the airbase, where they could have visually confirmed the location of their targets, this implies that the Russians felt way too safe...

Well, they just denied that 7 aircraft were destroyed, they didn't deny that those aircraft were damaged :sarcastic:

Where is the proof? A lot more destruction would have been reported on social media .
I agree with that, if 7+ aircraft (2 of which are modern su-35s) would have been destroyed completely (not damaged) we would have known about it already.
Who knows, maybe more news will be coming out...

It seems that at least a few aircraft were damaged and considering that those aircraft were unprotected and closely parked together, it seems plausible that a limited mortar strike could have indeed damaged several aircraft.

Mortars have a very limited range, so it means that the militants managed to sneak closely to the airbase, where they could have visually confirmed the location of their targets, this implies that the Russians felt way too safe...

Well, they just denied that 7 aircraft were destroyed, they didn't deny that those aircraft were damaged :sarcastic:

I agree with that, if 7+ aircraft (2 of which are modern su-35s) would have been destroyed completely (not damaged) we would have known about it already.
Who knows, maybe more news will be coming out...

If EIGHT aircraft were destroyed, the Russian MoD could somewhat truthfully deny that SEVEN were destroyed.
They claim two Russians dead by mortars, so apparently there was a mortar attack.

Translated the tweets commenting on the journalist revelation,
and Russians are definitely annoyed.
There are calls for executing the journalist for espionage.

If EIGHT aircraft were destroyed, the Russian MoD could somewhat truthfully deny that SEVEN were destroyed.
They claim two Russians dead by mortars, so apparently there was a mortar attack.
The mortar attack was confirmed by Russian MoD, the destruction of those aircraft were denied. If the pictures are any indication, I wouldn't say that all those aircraft are destroyed beyond repair (the one with destroyed horizontal tailwing is probalby going to take longer to repair). Even the journalsit who reported those pictures said that 2 su24's and 1 su35s are back in operation. So I am guessing that it was a limited mortar attack that damaged several aircraft, but likely not destroyed all of them.
Don't get me wrong, Russian MoD are indeed liars, not defending them at all...

If the Russians are so deadset to cover up everything, then how did they journalist made those pictures seemingly unchallenged? This is why I am still under the impression that the damage is indeed 'limited', I am still waiting for more evidence to come out before I am going to judge.

Also to take note of is that initially the exatct composition of damaged aircraft was different (first there was no mention of an an-30, first it was 5 su-24s (now 6) and it also was 2 su35s (now 1)), further indicating the situation isn't too clear.

Translated the tweets commenting on the journalist revelation,
and Russians are definitely annoyed.
There are calls for executing the journalist for espionage.
I am not sure what you are trying to prove here, I went trough the commments adn the most are seemingly in denial? Which I guess is a normal reaction; ofcourse they are going to be upset. (That was also my reaction when the Belgian air force got accused (by the Russian Mod) of bombing civilians in Syria, till this day, it was never proven.).

There also some who oppose 'executing' that journalist:
Comment made by Mark Myagchilov:
"Voroninmeister,
Time(one): MO RF is caught in lies every day, the same news to me.
Two: In Russia, the press is free and censorship is prohibited.
Three: On the basis of which article did you invent the state treason?
Four: in the war, whom and with whom? When was the document announced and where?"

index.php

You're a pathelogical idiot and absesed with Russia. Russia acknowledged the mortar attack but denied any aircraft were destroyed, only damaged. Which was truthful.

According to 500, this equals destroyed.

IMG_3653.JPG

The picture you posted of the damaged horizontal stabilizer is an easy fix, the entire wing can be removed. Israel repaired an F-15 with a wing that was blown off.

Nonsense post.

Don't expect anything else from him, he literally spews crazy conspiracies about Russia 24 hours a day. According to him the SU-24 can't drop precision munitions even after I posted videos and pictures of proof. The T-14 is just a T-90, the Mig-29K can't takeoff from a carrier with any fuel or weapons.

He is a troll, nothing more. I should be careful I don't trigger the self proclaimed "emotion" little girl :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom