What's new

Russia delays India aircraft carrier by 3 yrs

CV John F Kennedy is a good option, It was working till last march

I haven't seen the Americans sell a single carrier so it would be unusual for them to do so. Also the relative costs would obviously be much bigger.

Well it seems the only available (if they are ready to sell)option.

A big NO to American carriers. Nothing works out. Not the cost, not the need, not their meddling in domestic affairs after that. USN style carriers are not right for India, yet.

It leaves us vulnerable, you might need just a year to get JFK in working order, it was deployed till last march 23.
I see the development of the Indian Navy as the most important factor in Indian growing influence.

Americans style carrier's are needed by us. They are the best out there. If they meddle in our affairs, then it is our fault, cuz we let them.

Americans style carrier's are needed by us. They are the best out there. If they meddle in our affairs, then it is our fault, cuz we let them.

True!! I don't think simply by buying a weapon you allow the seller to dictate terms to you.

It leaves us vulnerable, you might need just a year to get JFK in working order, it was deployed till last march 23.
I see the development of the Indian Navy as the most important factor in Indian growing influence.

The rough cost of running a carrier like that would be $200 million a year. Thats not including the airwing. It would cost somewhere in the region of at least 10 billion. But like I said the Americans are unlikely to sell it.

Super-carriers are only useful when you have the ability to screen them properly. Otherwise they become big fat targets. India has just 3 modern Delhi class destroyers, while rest are relatively old Rajput class. Talwars are great, except you cannot concentrate your entire fleet around a single battle group. Then there is the lack of SSNs. Diesels have limited range, how will IN protect that behemoth ?

Their running cost is in the billions of $. IN could operate 2 IAC type carriers and a few extra ships for that price. Its like putting all your eggs in one not so safe basket. India cannot afford it.

200 million dollars for the USN, will be definitly a bit more lesser in India. But yes it is Expensive. I take blitz reasoning a bit more seriously, that is we need more support ships in the likes of refuelers and other supply ships. Siding with the US is our best course. We have a China and Pakistan alligning up; though limited, we will be facing problems in the future.

We the ATV coming online, as well as lot of ships being comminsoned in the next year which includes the 3 shivaliks and others. We will have enough ships when a carrier comes online in a year.

200 million dollars for the USN, will be definitly a bit more lesser in India. But yes it is Expensive. I take blitz reasoning a bit more seriously, that is we need more support ships in the likes of refuelers and other supply ships. Siding with the US is our best course. We have a China and Pakistan alligning up; though limited, we will be facing problems in the future.

We the ATV coming online, as well as lot of ships being comminsoned in the next year which includes the 3 shivaliks and others. We will have enough ships when a carrier comes online in a year.

Adux the $200 million is for the carrier alone. The airwing is a seperate cost.

I agree with blitz. Super carriers are not an option for India for reasons stated above.

No, technical flaws and its more than just wiring problem...the structure is unstable!!! I passed the info two months ago to Joey and told him about the possible delay of up to two years but he wouldn't believe me.
Guess my sourse was right. ;)

Neo I was skeptical about the source for reasons I read online from Rear Admiral Suresh Mehtas media release and I simply said lets see what will happen, I still believe the delay is not because of structure being unstable (if you mean the HULL) rather than simply the man hours needed and money needed to get its act together has been underestimated and highly underestimated. I am personally against the very Gotshkov deal which I did expressed in AFM much ago, 10 years ago and now Indians economy are hugely different, IAC and Gorshkov made sense then, today both similar class of ships dont makes sense, We should have dropped the Gorshkov and joined CVF programme, CATOBAR would have been available as France has it ofcourse from US and US is moving to EMCAT technology would not have problem giving CATOBAR to us.

Since this delay has been done, lets wait and see what unfolds next. Indian navy have had to way 13 years just to get IAC sanctioned, in that light gorshkov was a boon a decade back, I dont think it as a boon as of now, ofcourse If IN has different plans that very well said lets wait and see as I said before, patience gave us the real information of delivery regarding Gorshkov.

Joey, what other plan has IN got? Absolutely this was there plan and that took a decade to be implemented and now another half a decade to get it done.

I don't know what the big worrie about china is with carriers? First they don't have ANY carrier experince. Its not the easyest thing in the world to do. You just can't get a carrier and put her to sea, and think all is well. You have a airwing to run, you have to have a sizeable fleet to protect that ship, bith surface and subsurface. As not to say the supply ships for fuel for the airwing and the ships them selfs. There is alot of work behind a carrier battle group, or just like someone said it becomes a big target! And china will use up half of her fleet to protect that ship.

Back
Top Bottom