What's new

Russia delays India aircraft carrier by 3 yrs

sultan0000

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
future indian navy aircraft carriers
INS Vikramaditya

Displacement: 45,000 tons full load Length: 273.1 m overall Beam: 31.0 m Draught: 8.2 m Propulsion: 4 shaft geared steam turbines, 200,000 shp Speed: 32 knots Endurance: 13500 miles at 18 kt .Operatinal in 2008
will carry 12 single-seat MiG-29K
4 dual-seat MiG-29KUB
6 Kamov Ka-31 'Helix' attack and reconnaissance anti-submarine helicopters, torpedo tubes, missile systems and artillery units
10 MiG-29K 'Fulcrum'
Sea Harrier (optional)

india also started building 2 more aircraft carrier on its cochine shipyard
namely Vikrant class aircraft carrier
674cd9cdfcfbbf6a99d2132e1a395773.jpg

Displacement: 37,500 tons Length: 252 metres Beam: 58 metres Draught: 8.4 metres Propulsion: General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines, driving four shafts. Speed: 28 knots Range: 7,500 miles at 18 knots. Operational in 2009/10
will carry 30 total
MiG-29K
HAL Tejas
HAL Dhruv
Ka-31 'Helix'
The total number will rise to 4 next best to US navy in indian ocean in 2010.

We already have Vikramaditya Thread.

Total Number on 2011, will be two when Viraat retires. Not 4.

My 2020, You can expect 4-5 carrier Navy.

future indian navy aircraft carriers
INS Vikramaditya

Displacement: 45,000 tons full load Length: 273.1 m overall Beam: 31.0 m Draught: 8.2 m Propulsion: 4 shaft geared steam turbines, 200,000 shp Speed: 32 knots Endurance: 13500 miles at 18 kt .Operatinal in 2008
will carry 12 single-seat MiG-29K
4 dual-seat MiG-29KUB
6 Kamov Ka-31 'Helix' attack and reconnaissance anti-submarine helicopters, torpedo tubes, missile systems and artillery units
10 MiG-29K 'Fulcrum'
Sea Harrier (optional)

india also started building 2 more aircraft carrier on its cochine shipyard
namely Vikrant class aircraft carrier
674cd9cdfcfbbf6a99d2132e1a395773.jpg

Displacement: 37,500 tons Length: 252 metres Beam: 58 metres Draught: 8.4 metres Propulsion: General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines, driving four shafts. Speed: 28 knots Range: 7,500 miles at 18 knots. Operational in 2009/10
will carry 30 total
MiG-29K
HAL Tejas
HAL Dhruv
Ka-31 'Helix'
The total number will rise to 4 next best to US navy in indian ocean in 2010.

Dude your information is incorrect. The Viraat will retired within the next few years.(2010 ) It's a old carrier and needs to be retired soon

The Vikramaditya will be delivered within the next few years (depending upon reports)

From
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/ads.htm

In April 2005 India began building this indigenously designed aircraft carrier that will take eight years to complete. The keel laying is scheduled in October 2007. The ship is expected to enter service in 2012. The ADS is being built at Cochin shipyard.the maths seem a bit off there!

A second unit will also be built, although likely not delivered until around 2018. A third new carrier could be built, but realistic funding and construction dates are too far into the future to determine.

So by 2010 you will have 1 carrier (If the problems with the Vikramaditya are incorrect)

As a side note you have posted the picture of the old Vikrant as well. That is NOT the design for the ADS. That is a ship that was retired in 1997

We already have Vikramaditya Thread.

Total Number on 2011, will be two when Viraat retires. Not 4.

My 2020, You can expect 4-5 carrier Navy.

I make it three by my estimates.

China will have two/three by then as well by some estimates as well

It would be vikramiditya and ADS from cochin shipyard. It would continue to be a 2 AC navy.

I make it three by my estimates.

Well, I have quite a few sources here in cochin, My cousin is also involved in the project. Its no longer called ADS but IAC,There is going to be simulataneous construction of 2 Aircraft Carriers. IAC-2 will be based on IAC-1, While IAC-3 will be a new design catapult launcher with a higher tonnage, the project initial ground work has already started. Lockheed Martin maybe pulled in as advisor. It is china specific one, A new base in the eastern seaboard is being procured for the same. A&N islands base re-construction is on the cards. The Naval Build-Up after Karwar, is now looking east. Both ships will be ready to enter service by 2018 and 2020. By the side of Vikramaditya and IAC-1

There are rumour's of a Nuclear Propulsion. but that is being basically pushed aside.

China will have two/three by then as well by some estimates as well

Chinese only have Varyag now, which is in dalin shipyard. Lately they have painted it and started strengthening the super-structure. According to experts this ship is not combat-worthy therefore most likely they will be used as training platform for Ship-borne landing.

Chinese hasnt started construction of any aircraft carriers, therefore the number of carriers by 2020, will depend upon when they start. IF they start after 2010, then they can only have 2 aircraft carrier at the most, which in itself is a huge risk, considering they dont have any experience on aircraft carriers. They are fully capable of building one, but are they fully capable of understanding its uses and flaws by 2020 is another question. Therefore I expect them to built the second one, after testing and doctrine development for 3-4 years on the first one, Orders for the second one might be placed. I only see them having one aircraft carrier by 2020.

Well, I have quite a few sources here in cochin, My cousin is also involved in the project. Its no longer called ADS but IAC,There is going to be simulataneous construction of 2 Aircraft Carriers. IAC-2 will be based on IAC-1, While IAC-3 will be a new design catapult launcher with a higher tonnage, the project initial ground work has already started. Lockheed Martin maybe pulled in as advisor. It is china specific one, A new base in the eastern seaboard is being procured for the same. A&N islands base re-construction is on the cards. The Naval Build-Up after Karwar, is now looking east. Both ships will be ready to enter service by 2018 and 2020. By the side of Vikramaditya and IAC-1

There are rumour's of a Nuclear Propulsion. but that is being basically pushed aside.

Whats IAC? Indegenus aircraft ... is that it.

Well i guess Cochin shipyard is too small to build two IACs at the same time.

Bull,

Indigeous Aircarft Carrier.
I hope you looked at the expansion on Cochin Shipyard, when we met up over here. The New carrier is supposed to be built at Mazagon, After more space is available after Navy compleltes its moves to Karwar. Its a go ahead project already. PS: Cochin shipyard is said to be the most profitable Indian Shipyard.

Bull,

Indigeous Aircarft Carrier.
I hope you looked at the expansion on Cochin Shipyard, when we met up over here. The New carrier is supposed to be built at Mazagon, After more space is available after Navy compleltes its moves to Karwar. Its a go ahead project already. PS: Cochin shipyard is said to be the most profitable Indian Shipyard.

Well i know they had buld the largest Indian tanker some years back. And they have the reputation of completing orders well ahead of time. I was just wondering whether they could build 2 at a time. Ok if the second one is in Goa then its very much a possibilty.

PS: We should have taken some snaps when we met up, ghosh i forgot that inspite of having the camera in my hand.

MOSCOW - Russia’s main military shipyard is at least three years behind schedule on a $1.5 billion contract to modernise an aircraft carrier sold to India in 2004, Interfax news agency reported on Wednesday.

Under the contract, Sevmash shipyard in the Arctic port of Severomorsk was due by 2008 to upgrade and re-equip the ship built in 1987 to combine the power of a missile cruiser and capabilities of an aircraft carrier.

Indian media and officials have said the ship, with a squadron of Russian MIG-29 jet fighters on board, would considerably enhance the firepower of the Indian navy and bring nuclear rival China within range.

India is the only country in South Asia that has an aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, an issue of concern for some of its smaller neighbours. Pakistan and China, with whom India has fought wars, do not have this class of ship.

Interfax quoted an unnamed “high-ranking Sevmash source” as saying that the shipyard’s Director General Vladimir Pastukhov had been fired after failing to meet deadlines.

“The contract is delayed for three years,” the source said. ”The realistic date ... is now 2011.”

India and China are the two biggest buyers of Russian arms, accounting for nearly 90 percent of Russia’s overall annual arms exports of around $5 billion.

Interfax quoted the Sevmash source as saying miscalculating the amount of work needed to renovate the ship had led to problems.

“After a more detailed examination was conducted, it became clear that the ship’s technological condition is awful and that money allocated for the renovation is not enough,” he said.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Display...ugust/theworld_August14.xml§ion=theworld&col=

Hi,

What is this news in the dawn newspaper about the russian shipyard negating on its delivery of the indian aircraft carrier!

This is a big blow for India Navy,

Now you have ADS and Vikramaditya get deployed in the same time.

PS: Any ideas on the retired US carriers. They just retired a USN carrier, is that on War Reserve or is it headed for the salvage yard

Back
Top Bottom